Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I like all the episodes where Frasier and Niles (and sometimes Martin) are mistaken for being gay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2xrgW7Igpo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

I've always liked the one where he delivers Freddie's Bar Mitzvah in Klingon.

That always seemed a bit out of character for me. Frasier is a colossal nerd in a lot of ways but he doesn't strike me as a Trekkie

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

the littlest prince posted:

This show is good but it's tiring seeing the exact same plot devices in each and every show. How many times can frasier end up in a conversation that has two completely different meanings before it gets unbearable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqhEDV7yaGw&t=210s A lot of times

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yes, it was terrible.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Shlocky yes, but terrible?

Yes, but it was basically David Hyde Pierce playing a psychotic murderer version of Niles Crane which isn't too much of a stretch for the original character. Niles always looked like he was about to snap.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

America's hottest new comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVeytaIm5Bk&t=120s

can foreigners not pronounce "Frasier"

Mid-90s Australia was a weird place to be.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like Nile's apartment, that apparently he doesn't own because he's always under the threat of being kicked out.

I liked the way Niles' apartment grew in size over the course of the show until it just got ridiculous with gift wrapping rooms, secret doorways and third floors.

'It's practically a crawl space'.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I'd say the ski lodge episode pretty much has everything. It even includes the obligatory "gay person thinks Frasier/Niles is also gay".

I enjoyed the episode where Martin pretends to be gay and it all goes horribly wrong when Frasier's girlfriend tries to set him up with her uncle. Also, the episode with Patrick Stewart and Frasier as his toy boy.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I think I already knew but this but it's still funny reading about Kelsey Grammer's personal life, especially when the surname of the guy who killed his dad is Niles.

quote:

On April 25, 1968, a man named Arthur B. Niles set fire to Frank Grammer’s car outside the St. Thomas home he shared with his second wife, Elizabeth, and their four children (Betty, John, Billy and Stephen).When Frank Grammer went outside, Niles shot him twice. During the trial, Elizabeth Grammer testified that she pulled her husband’s body from in front of Niles’ car because he had threatened to run over him as well. Kelsey Grammer was only 13 years old at the time of his father’s murder.

Niles was found not guilty of the murder by reason of insanity and spent several decades in a psychiatric ward. In 1994, he was assessed to no longer be a threat to society and was released. In November of 2002, a judge issued a restraining order against Niles which prevented him from seeing his son. In March 2003, Niles went back to prison after pleading guilty to threatening to kill that same judge- no longer a threat indeed.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/05/the-tragic-family-life-of-kelsey-grammer/

To be fair, it doesn't sound out of character for Niles Crane, anyway.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

dsriggs posted:

That... sure is something!

4:18 on is magical.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

This came up on my Facebook for some reason.

I don't remember this episode but it really speaks to me as a Frasier fan.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it's by this guy

http://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/

someone asked for the following

Ah yeah. There's some pretty good stuff on that tumblr. Hard to believe he actually does it using MS Paint.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

gently caress. I was only just watching the ice cabin episode the other day, too. One of the best. :(

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I stopped being able to be impressed by the show after niles + daphne got together. It was just so friggin contrived. I’m on season 10 but it’s seemed like such a slog to keep going. Is it worth finishing?

I loved the show all the way through, but TBH you can probably skip half the episodes after Niles and Daphne get together. Also, definitely the ones with Gertrude Moon. Those were painful to watch.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, that got dark at the end.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Just watched the episode where Frasier dates a supermodel who is working on her PhD. Quite apart from how unbelievable it is that someone like Frasier could land her, I find it even more amazing that he keeps trashy wine like Beaujolais Nouveau in his apartment.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, you certainly would never have found it in Evelyn Waugh's cellar.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

Who is the Asian woman in the background of almost every episode from the 1st season to the very last?

Uh...

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I can't think of any reboots I've actually liked, but I'd happily take back Flight of the Conchords.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

Frasier is like many Victorian farces, you can enjoy the action despite it being from a while back because the scripts just are that good and the basic setup and staging is timeless. Also the cast is poo poo hot at physical comedy.

Unlike, say, Seinfeld which had aged horribly and suffers from the "none of this would be a problem if they had CELL PHONES drat IT" phenomenon that makes watching a pain.

Both are pretty good and have aged well in their own ways??

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Zeniel posted:

I mean despite Kelsey's personal life and politics I've only ever heard him being pretty amiable and professional on any set he ever worked on even when he was drunk off his skull. And I've never heard of any of the cast say otherwise.

Plus as evidence to add to this, they all did a big friendly zoom reunion together in 2020.

Like I'm pretty sure David probably just has other things going on in his career and doesn't want to commit the time to the revival of a show he did almost two decades ago.

Yeah, this. I'm not sure what everyone else is on about.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It just looks like they took the character and dumped him into a run of the mill sitcom with nothing else brought over from the original show. That said, I'll give it a go and will no doubt end up watching the whole thing.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm only about five minutes into the first episode but it's certainly different from the original series... Was the laugh track always so obvious?

The last 10 minutes is getting a few chuckles out of me, though, so that's something.

Octy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 12, 2023

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It's not Frasier but it is shaping up into a passable sitcom. Certainly better than a lot of stuff made nowadays.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

There's something about the set design in the reboot. Everything looks a little cheap and just... not real. I mean, it looks like a set whereas Frasier's Seattle apartment could have fooled me into thinking it was a real location.

Anyway, I watched the first couple episodes with my mum (her first time) and it holds up reasonably well for a rewatch.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The General posted:

So far my only real complaint is Niles and Daphne's kid. Way too BBT.

The best part about this last episode is that he wasn't in it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ruddiger posted:

They are cowards if they never address Freddy’s goth years.

It's referenced in the latest episode.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I wouldn't mind another couple seasons. Hopefully some more of the old cast can make an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Good news, I guess? Hopefully some more of the old cast will come back, at least for a cameo.

‘Frasier’ Scores Season 2 Renewal At Paramount+