Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cheers looked pretty bad but I think Ted Dansen is funny as gently caress nowadays, I wish Bored to Death was just about his character and not loving Jason Schwartzmann

Also ppst Roz pics already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kandinsky's some sweet loving art tho look him up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean it was pretty obvious that Frasier and Niles were Larry David-style misanthropes and you were supposed to laugh at how clueless they are despite being all sophisticated

I liked the one where they got banned from their favorite store for complaining about the price of dog food or whatever

Also Brian Cox as Daphne's father was great, always fun to hear him speak in his natural accent

e: o yah Robbie Coltrane as Daphne's brother was hilarious too

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like the repeated conversations explaining how Bulldog is hypermasculine because he's actually gayer than David Hyde Pierce and is projecting his insecurities

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

Kelsey Grammar had raging problems with alcoholism while recording several seasons of this show.

I hope he demanded that every bottle of wine he handled/mentioned actually be that real wine

I was watching an episode last night and looked up the wine him and Niles opened and drank and it's like $450 a bottle lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I didn't exactly need a reason to rewatch this series, but you've provided one, friend.

ah crap now I need to have an IMDB window open every time I watch Frasier (the channel that shows it here does the "squeeze the credits all tiny and speed em up so we can plug the next show in the main part of the screen" thing)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nooner posted:

bruh you ever hear of this thing called "Net " "Flicks"?

yeah I think I remember something from like 2012 before every cable provider offered on-demand episodes of everything :v:

seriouspost: Frasier is "nothing else is on" funny, not "what do you want to watch?" funny

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like that episode of the Simpsons where Sideshow Bob's brother shows up and it's David Hyde Pierce basically doing Niles

There are at least two explicit Frasier references that I can think of off the top of my head in there, aside from the general snooty banter between them the whole episode

There's also an episode of 30 Rock where Kelsey Grammar helps set up an elaborate con job that involves fake cakes for the Frasier Reunion Party, worth watching in general but specifically to hear him angrily threaten to throw some tossed salad and scrambled eggs at someone

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah that's one, the other is when Bart jumps on him and says "Guess who?" he says "Maris?" which I guess is a double Frasier joke because you never actually see her on that show

They also do one of the title cards midway through: '"Frasier" is a hit show on the NBC television network' with the jazzy music going

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah but unsubtle references to other networks being good/Fox being garbage is like a staple of Fox animated shows :haw:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Peri Gilpin was on a few episodes of King of the Hill and her voice was instantly recognizable, it was like hearing Leela from Futurama for the first time again

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anime is blood

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat Daphne 4 bathrooms to clean that sux

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just watched the episode where Frasier gets sick and Niles ends up being threateningly good at hosting the radio show, so Frasier busts in and does a fever-ridden ridiculous show and later doesn't remember it

was pretty funny, would watch again

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ProfessorMurder posted:

Niles in the bathroom: S4 E21 "Are You Being Served"

Killer Clown: S11 E16 "Boo!"

Stabbing Maris: S6 E8 "The Seal Who Came to Dinner"

Maris with Crossbow: S11 E8 "Murder Most Maris"

Awesome, do you know which season/ep is the "Frasier is sick and worries Niles is going to take over his show" one?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

twoday posted:

I'm at episode 5, their stupid wide lapel suits piss me off

Shoulder pads, Jesus Christ

And what's up with Daphne always wearing a choker, is she into kink or something? Is she a witch?

Did anyone make a vaporwave cover of the egg song yet?

kids these days

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

His daughter does the voice of Summer on Rick and Morty and she definitely also does the over-enunciation thing he tends to do

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

Admittedly, Janitor is hilarious. However, not even the best episode of Scrubs can carry one of Frasier's dirty Pierre Cardin socks...

Neil Flynn ad-libbed most of his dialogue so the Janitor is basically the one character you can praise without praising the show itself lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The whole conservative republican/sophisticated guy thing is pretty funny considering some of the random poo poo he does too, like playing piano and spoken word on a Vandals song or narrating a Wrestlemania promo :lol:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hard counter posted:

yeah even jane leeves walked away with a cool 20+ mill from frasier before residuals for essentially 11 seasons of telling bizarre stories about growing up in the UK

The fact that she has like 4 brothers and both parents and every one of them has a completely different accent must drive actual Brits watching the show insane.

When I was a kid I wondered why Frasier and Niles were Americans but spoke with British accents :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cool new Polack jokes posted:

That's the mid-Atlantic accent :eng101:

So yes, essentially Americans trying to talk like hoity toity brits

What does mid-Atlantic entail? Because I've lived my whole life on the east coast and never heard anyone speak like that :confused:

e: oh ok

Wikipedia posted:

Spoken mostly in the early twentieth century, it is not a vernacular American accent native to any location, but an affected set of speech patterns whose "chief quality was that no Americans actually spoke it unless educated to do so". The accent is, therefore, best associated with the American upper class, theater, and film industry of the 1930s and 1940s, largely taught in private independent preparatory schools especially in the American Northeast and in acting schools.The accent's overall usage sharply declined following World War II.

so literally "English for people who think a British accent indicates class/wealth/education" lol, I guess it makes perfect sense that Frasier and Niles sound like Americans badly performing Shakespeare

e: I wonder if either Martin or more appropriately Daphne ever made fun of their accent/vocabulary. Martin would be more likely to take the piss, but I imagine that any actual Brit would crack up hearing that accent IRL for the first time.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 24, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

Its good enough if you're just whiling away the hours before the release of death. May as well have some dry chuckles and a couple of hearty laughs eh?

Having kept either Law & Order: SVU, Cops/Jail/Gangland or Bar Rescue on as background TV noise for so long I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of all of them, Frasier is a much more pleasant choice

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol watching an episode now and it's dr. cox from scrubs reminiscing about how he used to rip on niles for being foofy in high school

e: oh lame Niles turned it around by psychoanalyzing him and now he's crying, man up dr. cox :cmon:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

just watched a solid 10 minutes of niles and daphne talking about sex and rubbing themselves with ice cubes, west wing has nothing on frasier

lol yeah that was a good episode

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Calaveron posted:

JD's where do you think we are

:smith:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I don't remember that "Where do you think we are" bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__1KU7lg-4

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Who's the lawful evil one? That's not Lilith

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't even remember her TBH which just tells me I need to watch more Frasier

there's a really twee TV station here (Cosi?) that plays 4 episodes straight every night which is p cool, the downside is they play an ad for Shriner's Children Hospital literally every commercial break, so I get to hear a kid with no arms tell me how he can write his name with his feet 4 times an hour, it's soul-crushing in a Melissa Etheridge ASPCA commercial kind of way

On the plus side after Frasier they do an hour of the A-Team which is great if I'm really blazed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zesty Mordant posted:

lmao at faithfully recreating that set just for a 15 second joke, that owns

The episode of 30 Rock where Kelsey Grammar and 2 characters run a long con on Carvel is a must-watch even if you're not a big fan of 30 Rock

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ChiralCondensate posted:

he's a good actor--isn't it so amazing that some good actors are lovely people in real life

He's actually pretty awesome IRL too actually

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

I'm pretty sure it was green-screened. 30 Rock did it a lot.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the exact same set

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cosmik Slop posted:

My vote for worst loving episode of the whole series. Frasier had been getting really shouty and weird that whole season, but in this one he acted so hysterically stupid I wondered if they were building up to the big plot twist that he'd developed a brain tumor or a meth habit.

I mean the final episode does have him move to Chicago, and the show Boss was about Kelsey Grammer as the mayor of Chicago who also is dying of a degenerative neurological disease... :tinfoil:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

God, at that price I ought to be able to get a whole goat!

:iia:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Martin's still alive because he's tough as piss and now his constant companion is a fresh new russel terrier and Roz and Bulldog are divorced

Wait, did Roz and Bulldog really end up getting married? I thought there was like a whole episode devoted to the fact that it's in fact Bulldog who's the gay guy at the station and not Gil, and that he's so hyper-masculine as a compensating measure or whatever.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

None of the above happened. Perhaps there was an offhand comment about Bulldog overcompensating, but if so, nothing ever came of it.

It might just have been a throwaway bit.

The guy who plays Bulldog is totally gayballs IRL tho

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The actors who play Gil, Bulldog, Martin and Niles are all gay irl but so far as I know none were 'out' at any point of the show's run

Niles and Gil are gimmies and I think it's pretty funny when Gil goes on his little rant about his loving wife, it's pretty on-the-nose.

Bulldog and Martin were surprising when I learned about them, Bulldog is married to one of the producers of the show even :kimchi:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZasP77J0yhE

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

Been rewatching. Most of the stuff holds up, the stuff that doesn't is hilariously inappropriate for 2017, and then there's the stuff where I'm not sure it ever was appropriate

"Well, you were the one who spent 30 minutes looking for that weird candleholder"

"It's a menorah, Roz"

How the hell you grow up and not learn what a Menorah is? And don't say "the deep south"

I think the fact that some of the humor is inappropriate for today just adds to it. It helps that censors were stricter back then, so there's some really dirty jokes that are wrapped in really elaborate clean deliveries, and I love it.

It's like how the first Shrek movie had a bunch of jokes that had pretty R-rated implications or double-entendres, but they also worked perfectly as kids' jokes. Nowadays I feel like that stuff is either shoehorned in a lot more blatantly, or in the case of network TV it's just straight-up raunchy and loses some of the impact.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ted Dansen rules, he made Bored to Death hilarious despite Jason Schwartzmann's best efforts, and he was awesome on The Good Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Strictly speaking it's from the 30 Rock episode where Kelsey plays himself scamming Carvel out of free ice cream cakes, but "I should throw some tossed salad and scrambled eggs at you" gets daily use in my household.