Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Spoiler alert Alexis Bledel plays the same character in Gilmore Girls and Handmaid's Tale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ArmZ posted:

also mad men

I never watched that show, didn't know she was on it.

I think it's ruined for me since my primary exposure to both Jon Hamm and John Slattery were 30 Rock episodes and it'd be too ridiculous to see them being super serious after this kind of thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBMCc5a7Lwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHVyBpWiSQk

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah it's pretty great, especially Slattery IMO.

30 Rock is great for that sort of thing (serious actors being goofy AF)

I know he's done some comedy stuff aside from that show but seriously Matt Damon as a neurotic airline pilot named Carol Burnett was amazing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

I AM INVOKING SKY LAW

I WILL WASTE YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

Not to derail into 30 Rock celebrity chat, but Robert DeNiro was gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuFF_7T-WI

Catherine O'Hara challenges Bryan Cranston to do his best "Eugene Levy in a Christopher Guest movie" impression (sorry for potato quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEnLaCyGk1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blq-JZZ76zs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cool new Polack jokes posted:

30 Rock is some funny poo poo, but how much of it is actually Tina Fey's doing? So much of a performance is the actor, and maybe it's the confluence of AAAA-list talent being undeniably funny and good actors?? #gbshateswomen:tinfoil:

Fe: I couldn't find any clips with Kelsey on YT to post itt, any dailymotion/vimeo heroes out there??

I thought you were being serious for a second with the Tina Fey thing :haw:

here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCn_HPB0vc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPAl2LHoKic&t=27s "I just got fired because Kelsey Grammer scammed me!"
and of course
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zffv-FCEYM

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Then again Jane Krakadowski or we has to be fey's pity project. She has the range of eddie from frasier.

Didn't she get famous on Broadway and not in film acting? I think she's funny because of her character, but then again she also played the exact same character in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and also those Tropicana commercials

It's fun watching her get dunked on all the time for being like that though, it's like how a lot of the hurtful things the gang says to Dee on It's Always Sunny are things that Kaitlin Olson actually gets really insulted and self-conscious about IRL

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FuhrerHat posted:

you can tell which jokes are tina fay's on unbreakable kimmy schmitt
the rest of the show isnt funny

It's alright but yeah, it's pretty obvious when she is/isn't behind the wheel.

I'm very excited that she's got a new show coming out even though I know nothing about it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ditty bout my clitty posted:

You are both retarded.

Surprise that the SJW brigade swoop in to defend an actress that has portrayed an identical character in different roles for twenty years.

Nobody's saying she's Hellen Mirren or whatever but they wrote a one-dimensional actress into a one-dimensional character and half the jokes/plotlines on the show are focused on making fun of how one-dimensional she was. It's like complaining about David Cross playing a nebbish weirdo or Zack Galifinakis as an overweight loser.

But yes, it's an SJW thing :rolleyes:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

revolther posted:

Fixed that for you. After the whole native american blowback from season 1, Fey just doubling down really makes her look like an out of touch old lady millionaire.

Most of what I read about it was a healthy mix of people who thought it was tone-deaf racism and people (including actual Native Americans) who thought it was funny as hell. I more-or-less agree with this article about it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt-native-americans_us_5722747fe4b01a5ebde515be

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Norm and Cliff were supposed to be lovers, right? they just couldn't show it in 80s/90s TV standards

There is a 100% chance that this erotic fan fiction exists but I ain't searching for it :whitewater:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Police Automaton posted:

frasier dies on his way back to his home planet.

that was robin williams dood

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah when he does Mr. Fischoeder on Bob's Burgers it's pretty great

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sagacity posted:

Just finished the series finale. After Frasier, Seinfeld and News Radio I'd really like to know what other older shows are equally good :(

Taxi

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Weren't they all English actors too?

Brian Cox is Scottish (you can totally hear it when he plays the chief in Super Troopers).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And both DW's Peri and Frasier's Roz were played by attractive busty women, so there's yet another connection! :quagmire:

Listen I love Roz as much as the next guy but that is an extremely generous definition of "busty" right there

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

so basically to you, busty == comically oversized breasts?

Not really? Christina Hendricks is busty, Jennifer Tilly, those are the 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

e: I'm not saying I don't love Roz like all you fine gentlemen but calling her busty is like calling Niles stout

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I love titties

:yeah:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They showed the episode where Frasier's maybe-real-father shows up (played to perfection by the guy who played the snooty Frasier-like soldier on M*A*S*H) and it's loving gold

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

...and the pitch! posted:

That's David Ogden Stiers you cretin

:respek:

I knew that but I didn't know if everyone else would instantly recognize the actor's name, but "the snooty guy who was basically a fatter balder Frasier" is a pretty accurate description IMO

I really miss M*A*S*H and am very glad that Alan Alda is still a riot wherever he shows up

also: IMDB proves that there are in fact, people even more pedantic than Frasier, and that is people who watch Frasier and post on IMDB:

Goofs posted:

When Frasier and Leland are drinking Sherry, Frasier describes it as an "Andalusian Amontillado". All Sherry is from Andalusia and their drink is a pale straw colour (probably Fino), whereas Amontillado is an oxidized variety making it a rich brown.

Frasier refers to Brassaļ as a "Romanian master". Whilst it's true that Brassaļ was born in what is now called Romania he was, in fact, a French and Hungarian national, having studied in Hungary and served in the Austro-Hungarian army during the First World War.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

...and the pitch! posted:

I was sure you did. Just a harmless jape.

Well if any thread is apropos for harmless japery surely it is this, the most sophisticated thread in GBS

I was gonna do a :puffs on pipe: thing but god drat if Frasier and Niles aren't so classy and sophisticated that they don't even need to smoke pipes to look fancy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I feel like it'd be much harder to dissappear someone that famous

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh yeah I always forget that the doctor is the butler from The Nanny

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

welcome back to harsh noise with dr frasier crane

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vakal posted:

Was the kid that played Freddy in anything notable besides BASEketball?

:aaaaa:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Mash sucked though

:getout:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

And I should know - I'm Frajier.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

Just watched s6e10, wherein the Cranes try to pretend to be jews lmbo

IIRC the stuff read out during Freddy's bar mitzvah is authentic and even correct for the bar mitzvah specifically and not just "generic Hebrew prayers" which was somewhat impressive for a show that old

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

That was Klingon dude.

different episode

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

One can only imagine who will play Maris.

The long-running joke will remain true to the show; she will be constantly referred to as the best gently caress on the planet and various actors will often go off-set to "go gently caress Maris" but you never actually see her

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Roz: I'm impressed you're so good at charades!

Frasier: I'm impressed you can mime a virgin!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

They made her character get pregnant because the writers thought she needed a consequence. Then they had a garbage man break up with her. Then they had Frasier choose the shrill amoral hag over her. Then they made sure she ended up alone at the end of the show. The writers absolutely hated Roz. She was probably modeled off of one of their exes.

Yeah but she gets some of the best dialogue on the show and she gets to constantly dunk on Frasier and sometimes Niles

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

I like that her accent is that of a deranged villain from a 1930's movie. She's great.

yeah she rules, it's like if the producers walked into the writers' room, tacked up a poster of Cruella deVil with the caption "Frasier's new agent" and said "make it work."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

god drat I love the 80's/early 90's

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A reminder that the episode where Mama Crane's old lab partner comes to visit is the best.
He's basically an older Frasier and Martin gets paranoid he might be the boys' real father until it's revealed he's gay

Not enough self-realization on Frasier's part right there, IMO

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Did Ted Dansen ever show up on Frasier? I love that guy!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I didn't realize presenting different parts of your personality to different groups of people as appropriate made you a Nazi

Brb gonna go email a list of crude jokes to my boss

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

LE CIGAR VOLANT

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frasier I could believe as a full psychiatrist, Niles would have been more believable as a psychologist/therapist tbh.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drat, I would have guessed he was in his mid-70's back when Frasier was still airing. Dude took care of himself, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Laterite posted:

David Angell probably wishes he skipped 9-11 too.

God drat