Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Whats the opposite of a bold prediction? Anyway- my not-at-all bold prediction is that Nico Rosberg hangs around the F1 paddock for the rest of his days like a less-successful Jackie Stewart, giving endless unsolicited advice and opinions about how things were better "in my day" rather than having the grace and dignity to take his WDC and gently caress off to the golf course like thread hero and patron saint Nigel Mansell.

e: I've just realised even Mansell came back for another attempt in '95 so really the only F1 driver that took his WDC and left with any grace and dignity was Jochen Rindt. Oh how I wish Rosberg could be more like Rindt.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lewis Hamilton posted:

"There is no racing achievement [that will get me to do a shoey], that is disgusting," Hamilton said. "I wouldn't even drink sweat from my own shoe.

"We've got these hydraulic fluids going down there, they're running at 300 degrees or something crazy, so it's bleeding hot. My dad would call it 'toe jam' - he's just drinking toe jam."

Despite his unwavering stance on the shoey, Hamilton admits he doesn't mind if Ricciardo continues on with the tradition.

"It is kind of cool that [Ricciardo] has got his own little thing and I admire him for having his own little thing. It is totally cool if he wants to drink the sweat off his own foot, but I definitely don't want to."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/18962677/lewis-hamilton-copy-ricciardo-disgusting-shoey-celebration

A cool and good opinion by a good British lad. Filthy foreigners.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

When presented with a sweaty bogan shoe full of piss-water Lewis does what any sane, rational human being with a grain of self-esteem would do and says "get that out of my face you gurning simpleton", while Nico "I just want to be liked" Rosberg grabs it and chugs like it's the elixir of life.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The MWDC this year should go to whoever is the first person to accept Ricciardo's plague boot from him and then just toss it over the railing without looking.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

wicka posted:

Bannable misuse of bold IMO. Hell I was about to lose my poo poo about Lewis saying "I wouldn't even drink sweat out of my shoe" as if that were somehow less gross than champagne.

While I agree that F1 champagne is probably worse than sweat, the emphasis in that sentence was on the *my* part.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 22, 2017

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

I do enjoy these videos but I find the weird sexually aggressive comments rather unnerving.

:wtc:

Not going to lie, sometimes I lose faith in us being the one true Worst Thread.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Hamilton really seems to put Ferrari as the title favourites this year. Did he say the same at the start of the last few years? Not sure if it's just further sandbagging or can be taken at face value.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Can't see this going wrong at all. No sir.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

simplefish posted:

By the way, when I was buying a domain for my crappy blog, I also bought assf1.com

I don't really know what to do with it. I could just put lots of pictures of grid girls' (and drivers'?) bums on there but tbh I'm not a sleaze toad. So if any of you have any good ideas, I'm listening. Maybe something to do with Haas?

A picture of the Mclaren-Honda and then just fill the rest up with the unicode poop emote.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

My Aus GP thoughts:

• I'm actually kinda glad Merc didn't win it.
  • LOT of unwarranted faith in Ferrari not loving up ITT.
  • It was a boring race.
  • You can tell it was a boring race because of how vehemently people who liked the result are trying to convince you it was a good race.
  • I'm waiting for Bahrain before I start to criticise the formula, but it still worries me how bad the racing was.
  • Qualy was interesting though.
  • I suck at predictions.
  • I seem to be in the wrong gppredictor league. What's the right one?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Norns posted:

I'm a fan of pit strategy wins so the formula works for me.

There's not a version of this-is-fine.jpg big enough to post in response to this.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

has to do all kinds of pathological mental gymnastics just to warp his reality to fit the narrative ... Sadly nobody calls him on this bullshit so he just disappears further and further up his own arse.

:ironicat:

Pretty sure I've seen people call you on it before though so maybe it's not entirely LH's fault.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 29, 2017

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I would like to see a film on Nico's story and his rise from "Man beaten by Mark Webber in the same car" to WDC beating out some over hyped British toff.

It would be too expensive, can you imagine the costs of all the CGI zoom-in-on-parts-of-hamiltons-car-breaking shots?
Although the scenes with Rosberg's home life where the stress of losing to someone who's car breaks 50% of the time causes him to beat his wife while screaming "I CAN'T DO IT, TELL TOTO TO STEP UP THE SABOTAGE CAMPAIGN" would add some drama.

*Makes up retarded fantasies in his head to make himself feel better*
*is Theophany*

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I love the clear divide in this thread between not being a Hamilton fan and mental illness.

:same:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I was laughing at your post where you fabricated reality to produce a narrative where Lewis fabricates reality to produce a narrative.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Multiple "Overtaking? That's boring let's get more PIT STRATEGY in formula 1" advocates claiming the mental-stability highground ITT.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Norns posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat still watching something in hopes of getting something that never existed. So gently caress off

I take it by "watching something" you mean reading this thread and "getting something that never existed" you mean you posting something that isn't pointless drivel

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

1983 is good.

Also it's of example of a year where refuelling worked pretty well. Maybe it can work if done correctly.

What does done correctly mean in this instance?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Alain Post posted:

He had 2 DNFs all year. Rosberg had one.

DNF's aren't exactly the whole story of that season. Rosberg's DNF was when him and Hamilton took each other off in Spain, so no advantage to either party there. HAMs other DNF that year was in Malaysia resulting in a 28-point swing to Rosberg who was stuck in the midfield at the time I think. The majority of Hamilton's "bad luck" due to mechanical issues came from him having to start lower down the grid because of part changes/issues in qualifying and not failing to finish races.

I don't like Rosberg at all but I don't think it was an undeserved WDC for him. Looking at the classifications at the end of each race and going "welp, stats don't lie!" is pretty disingenuous though.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

HJB posted:

That's strange, my unnamed totally legit source which definitely isn't a random prediction wrapped in a fine layer of mystique told me the Honda will be fine and Alonso will be the fastest in all the speed traps.

While I despise Andrew Benson and his made up horseshit... he's probably not wrong.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

enri posted:

This really is the only thing that matters, the history book says WDC 2016: Nico Rosberg and that's that, no big asterisk next to his name saying (but Lewis totally should have won it)

I think the major stumbling block for this thread in regards to this outlook is that if Rosberg isn't a fraud, then neither is (f.e.) Jacques Villeneuve. Gunna be honest with you, "WDC winner" doesn't immediately spring to mind when I think of Jack. It's more that i remember it later and go "Oh yeah, that guy won the WDC once, jesus christ".

(If you're a fan of bad drivers for some reason and are upset at me choosing Jacques, you're welcome to mentally substitute his name for Damon Hill or whoever in your mind and re-read it).

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I don't disagree with the premise that an * next to someone's WDC is a stupid idea, but to act like literally nothing matters in an F1 season except the points tally at the end is fuckin' daft too. Why watch the races at all if all you want to know is the points everyone got at the finish? The drama of what happens during the race is what is important. That's why it's perfectly fine for people to say "Rosberg lucked into his WDC because X" and it's perfectly fine for other people to say "Lewis should have won it because X".

Basically if you're a a perfect logic machine that only cares about stats then yes, the only metric that matters is the points tally at the end of the season.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That's the best thing that anyone has ever done.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not saying Motorsport Manager is in any way the strongest predictor we have for the genuine F1 season to come, all I'm saying is that I ran Shanghai last night and both of the Ferrari Scuderia-Rossini cars retired.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ostensibly the interesting part of that picture is the "Gina" label. Personally I find it more interesting that Vettel's fraud levels are so high he needs a map to get round a closed circuit.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Theophany posted:

For my own sanity I'm going to presume that is some kind of attempt at humour. In which case, it's a good job Your Lewis isn't such a fraud.

Imagine how upset I am that my attempts at humor don't resonate with someone with as sharp a wit as yours.

Theophany posted:

Also, Poois Shamilton should not be a bannable offence. It's way more creative than anything the pituitary retards at rivals.com could come up with.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Who exactly was defending Hamilton? I made a joke about Vettel and then shot back at someone trying to give out comedy tips on the same page that they claimed a rivals.com pun was funny.

Then the three musketeers team of Norn, 1500 and theophany gallops in to save the thread because they haven't talked about Lewis and how much they hate him for 15 minutes are starting to get the shakes.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

td4guy posted:

Babby Verstappen only just learned the concept of heel-and-toe less than two weeks ago.

That makes me a little bit sad. What feeder series' do you have to come through to get to F1 that means you skip all forms of car with a clutch pedal?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That ars article is great. Especially this line:

quote:

While Formula 1 is the epitome of bleeding-edge engineering, the teams are still susceptible to the plague of legacy software. For example, until recently, Renault Sport Formula One Team used a 77,000-line Excel spreadsheet to track the design and build of the season's new car

Honestly I should have applied for jobs at F1 teams years ago.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Honda developed this engine entirely on the back of single cylinder prototypes and only put it together as a V6 late December to find out how hosed it was.

"Juggling with one ball was really easy, but when we tried to add 2 more and it suddenly got harder!" - Honda

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

E: I was able to make this hideous creation http://facemaker.racing/#ver,ver,ver,ver

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 6, 2017

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So what happens if FP3 is cancelled too? They give up or people just give it their best guess on setup?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Powershift posted:

There's some talk of binning FP3 and running qualifying and the race tomorrow because the forecast for sunday is this same poo poo.

It probably won't happen, but the race could be hosed up by smog/fog

China is a great country and I for one would be sad to see it join it's smoggy-piece-of-poo poo brother India in being dropped from the F1 calendar.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

fish and chips and dip posted:

the FIA approved hospital is just about on the other side of the city

You'd think that part of the FIA approval process would be "Hospital is not on the other side of a city that is impossible to cross in road vehicles in a reasonable timeframe"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Well we all saw this day coming.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

drat it's scary close at the top. 2 tenths between the top 4.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Are you basing that on the strong defense he put up when vettel was behind him today? Because that one corner where he managed to keep vettel behind before pulling a rosberg and locking up his tyres in a panic was quite something.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

uXs posted:

I like how drivers on opposite sides of the spectrum (verstappen <=> stroll) are equally hated.

Be fair, I don't think Verstappen and stroll are on opposite sides of any spectrum.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I feel like being a verstappen fan is like being a Hamilton fan except you can't even claim you like him because he's a good driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

enri posted:

I thought that was Frank?

:drat:

• Locked thread