Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I hope Bottas wins the WDC and then also promptly retires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I like skimming through the live-posting after the race. It feels like I'm some sort of prescient time-traveler; watching and laughing as folks' cautious optimism is dashed against the rocks.

"wow, Ferrari have a good shot at a podium today"

*scrolls down*

"gently caress!"

"Alonso up to 6th, maybe they'll make some points this race"

*scrolls down*

"OH NO!"

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

wicka posted:

Bannable misuse of bold IMO. Hell I was about to lose my poo poo about Lewis saying "I wouldn't even drink sweat out of my shoe" as if that were somehow less gross than champagne.

Lewis has no taste anyway so I dunno why he gives a gently caress

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

GramCracker posted:

I'm still annoyed I didn't get tickets to see Taylor headline the US GP last year. :colbert:

Not sure if you were just wanting to see Taylor Swift or what, but if you (or anyone here, really) don't end up with race tickets this year and there's a show you want to see at the end I'll give you my ticket(s) for free after we leave the track on Sunday. I guess that would also apply for any of the events after the F1 stuff on the other days too. We have 2 small kids and/or dinner plans so we don't stay long after the main events for each day. Feels like a bit of a waste so I'd be happy to let someone take advantage.

It wouldn't matter for the concert, but the seats are nice and only available to people with PSLs (T15 looking down the straight before turn 12, and you have a nice view of 13 through the start of 16). You'd need to figure out your own parking though unless you also have a handicap (other than being a goon and posting in this thread). We have B Lot parking passes I could give you if you have a placard.

PM me if interested as the date gets closer and we can try to work something out.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

can someone please do a parody of the dramatic cupcake dog having vietnam flashbacks, except with Alonso from that drivers' press conference where the camera pulls in progressively tighter on his face while images of MCL32 and that washing machine shaking itself to death flash across the screen, tia

I'd do it myself but I just don't have the time at the moment and I'm afraid by the time I get around to it the zeitgeist of Mclonic-Honda will have passed

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

Hamilton dunking on Honda made me hate him slightly less

heck, :same:

and now I'm so internally conflicted in my emotions that I have even more empathy for the guy

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

CratSock posted:

"We have slightly elevated levels of engines shaking themselves to death, but we also have achieved more output. For the engines to ah.... shake themselves... to death. No more questions." *smiles blankly*

wuffles posted:

Mclonic-Honda

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The Merc baby wing looks like an IUD

lmao

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

holy lmao where do you even start with those pictures

Hamilton as a dour, 80's Eddie Murphy or the fact that that's the most flattering picture of Verstappen I've seen

They sure captured Kimi's "essence" though; I can't tell what's flatter, that photo or his personality

edit: Daniil "Moai" Kvyat

wuffles fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 24, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Keanu Reeves drives for McLaren.

except this time the vehicle explodes when it exceeds 50mph

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Romain Neck's-long (so what)

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I was watching the KU game last night and they had a Honda commercial come on where at the end of it the doofy spokesman guy is like "...and at Honda we build engines like this" and the camera pans over to an Indy Car that peels off into the sunset. It felt like a massive troll and I hope they buy ad space for it during the F1 broadcasts all season. I could not stop laughing.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

Their Indycar engine is actually good, as opposed to bad.

that's part of why it'd be such a brilliant troll that I have a hard time believing its not intentional.

Theophany posted:

It'd be interesting to see how their IndyCar V8 'de-tuned to not lunch itself' competes with their V6 'brick in a washing machine.' For all the terrible press they're getting I've loved the Hondas I've owned for their ridiculous against the prevailing wind manufacturing ethos, infuriating as it often is.

I even got rid of my absolutely brilliant diesel Honda (their first diesel, one of the finest diesel engines ever mass produced) to switch to a BMW V8 because BMW are the engine savants and I've always held their V12 M12 in the highest regard. It was like going from a happy marriage to an abusive relationship.

I've never owned a Honda and my only experience with BMW V8s is my wife's X5M. I'm not sure if it's all the Dinan parts and performance tuning or if the reliability is just poo poo from the start...but goddamn abusive relationship is right. It's a company car and we don't pay poo poo for it, but if we did we'd have to sell our house. There have been months where I swear it was at the dealership more than it was in our garage.

On the other hand, 600+ hp/torque and all wheel drive make for a hell of a lot of fun even in a big-rear end brick of an SUV. :getin:

I giggle like a school girl every time she emasculates some guy in his mid-life crisis sports car. The last time it happened she rolled the window down at the next light and asked him if his car was broken and dude's wife nearly fell out of the car laughing.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

GramCracker posted:

Your wife sounds Cool And Good

She's awesome. Woman can drive, so sometimes it's not even close, even if they're in something that should be faster.

:swoon:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Alain Post posted:

is that a 1997 IRL car

Not sure on the year, but it's an instructor car for the Mario Andretti Racing School.

E: They advertise full size Indy cars at the school so perhaps a modified 97 IRL car

wuffles fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 25, 2017

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Am I the only one with a DVR and the patience to wait at least 30-45 min to start watching the race?

Only thing y'all miss out on are my race day hot takes like re-posting that promo video for the unveiling of the 2017 Red Bull:

quote:

"The RB 13, unlucky...for some."

The 3rd time Danny Ric's car fell apart.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

gret posted:

You'll miss out the camaraderie of chatting with goons on IRC. :)

I'm not sure that's a very compelling reason

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't know a single person from our generation that has cable without living at their parents or in a house with four other roommates to split the bill.

What generation would that be?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Take a random stab.

based on your avatar, post-millennial

based on your jaded cynicism, late Gen X/early millennial

Did I win?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

it was mostly a dig at Stroll being a fetus

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

There are post millennials now??

Yep, time to buy a cable subscription peepaw

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

This may be the dumbest idea ever, but I'm legitimately curious: would it make any sense to one day look at a system opposite of DRS to allow the cars to better follow in dirty air by increasing drag/downforce on demand? The driver could choose to sacrifice some pace for more stability at key points and/or for a limited time to set up the pass?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Double post here, but it's not the aero kit which is the direct problem, you can slipstream and get a decent tow, the issue is that the hot air from the car in front degrades your tires very quickly, overheats your brakes, and reduces engine power because it has less oxygen and gives less expansion when combusted.

This was present in older races, but tires were much longer lasting and engines were just less sensitive to hot, low oxygen air.

I do wonder if an aero design could be made to push hot air up off the track. Maybe terminating the exhaust above the rear spoiler, to mix it with fresh air and push it up a bit?

Pages ago but thanks for answering this. I guess I thought the biggest issue was the front end washing out and making the car hard to handle and increasing the tire wear from the driver having to fight the car.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Bryter posted:

Actually Hamilton is a brilliant strategist who gave Rosberg the win knowing he would retire and be replaced by a non-German (the only way to stop the team sabotaging him)

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/717312342002900996

That's still the funniest loving thing to me because he didn't need to be "playing chess" at all; he had the best car on the grid and even his harshest critics tend to concede he's one of the best 'raw talents' on the field today.

He lost to the guy who realized, no, it is just checkers, and spent the better part of a year just practicing jumping one checker piece over the other again and again and again all the way to the WDC.

...and then in the end it turns out Nico was actually a grandmaster chess player who really just enjoys checkers because he apparently trolled Lewis so hard by leaving the sport that the dude still can't stop taking petty shots at him in interviews all this time later.

Lewis is shook.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I refuse to respect anyone who carries a goddamn boombox into a 5 star restaurant so they can listen to their own music at the table like a twat.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

NtotheTC posted:

That's the best thing that anyone has ever done.

nah

I don't think the restaurant appreciated it either since the following year they sat him right by the kitchen lol

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I'm going to start rooting for lance stroll just because everyone seems to actually hate him

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

lol hope you like DNFs

I do, some of my favorite moments in this sport have been DNFs

and yeah, he seems out of his depth but it makes him interesting to watch

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

If Kvyat can score a Piquet then there's hope for all goons out there yet.

please do not disparage Daniil's chiseled features

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Life can be hard for an empty-nester, the man clearly misses his son.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

I wish that comic meme would die

3 hilarious posts in a row and you gotta come in and smother it with your wet blanket

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

enri posted:

I love the early morning races, they're the few I get to watch live without interruption ("no princess, daddy's watching vroom vroom racing cars, we can't watch peppa pig")

The later ones are good too, again because the kids will mostly be doing their own thing by that time of day.

Our six year old daughter is a Ferrari fan, which is weird because neither my wife nor myself care much one way or the other for the Scud. When she hears the cars she says "go Ferrari!"

I'm pretty sure she just likes the car that is red like Elmo but it's still entertaining :3:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

All of last season:

"Ferrari could win this one if they don't gently caress up their strategy"

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

He qualified 10th, time to pay the stroll toll bitches :getin:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

Boy I can't wait for the Max Verstappen circle jerk over getting lucky on a start.

Tell us more about Gio being the real deal :allears:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

iospace posted:

I'm pretty sure Bottas was pretty low on Mercedes' want list, and it's becoming apparent. Everyone else they would have wanted was either at Ferrari (who won't leave because :homebrew: and the fame of being a Ferrari driver), Red Bull (contract locked, most likely), or Fernando (who is also probably contract locked). Williams was the only team they had any sort of leverage with, so there you go.

That and they figured that Ferrari wouldn't be as competitive as they are and all they needed was a decent driver to easily win the WCC, especially with Kimi as the #2. They might have tried to get Alonso, cost be damned (and Lewis' feelings), if they thought they needed 2 drivers fighting for 1/2 on the podium every race.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I did this too.

Only thing you missed was Lewis not knowing Max's name

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

You expect him to be quiet when his car isn't working properly?

Not working properly because he had it in the wrong mode by his own admission.

At least his bitching was funny, Max's was just pathetic. I liked his drive but he should have just kept his head down and not cried like a bitch boy about Big John not moving over while being ~2 sec ahead of him.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

Okay? What's your point. The car being in the wrong mode is still an issue an impacts performance. Bitching about it got it fixed.

My point is that he is responsible for knowing the car well enough to make sure the settings are correct, the only person he had to blame there was himself. He ate a whole murder of crows in the post race interview as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

So he should have just kept quiet in the wrong engine mode. Got it.

Nah, but maybe he could pay a little more attention to things before and during the race instead of losing his poo poo at the engineers while holding up his teammate and running 40 seconds behind him at the end. *Kimisleepinginthecar.jpg*

The Iceman having a meltdown will never not be funny though.

• Locked thread