Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

simplefish posted:

Would love a source on this because it explains Lewheeze Hamilton and is a crazy thing to have done and yet so believable

editing and emphasis mine:

BBC News posted:

Formula 1: Lewis Hamilton decides to race without a personal trainer

...the Briton said he chose to take over his own programme this year as "a kind of challenge" he has set himself.

"Can you have the motivation to do it yourself and get ready and tone up, not having a trainer and be ready? I have," the Mercedes driver said.

The 32-year-old added that he had upped his physical preparations to match the greater demands of this year's faster cars.

"Every year you try to improve, but I would say I have taken a good step," Hamilton said after the Australian Grand Prix at the weekend.

"My discipline has definitely gone up in terms of my training and how specific I am with my diet."

But he denied he had significantly changed his approach to F1 in terms of the amount of commitment he put in over the winter after losing out on the title to former team-mate Nico Rosberg last year.

"I don't think so," he said after finishing second to Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel in Melbourne on Sunday, adding that his hectic lifestyle of global travel was not a hindrance to his job.

"I work hard every year and I have been touring. I have not been home much. I have been enjoying myself.

"It appears people judge off things they see and in previous years I arrived at the first race just as fit. I always arrive fit and ready. None of those things I do are a distraction. I have done just as much this year; it is just I have a job to do. I have made sure the fitness levels are higher than before so for sure I have applied myself better."

And he said his desire to win the title was even bigger this season.

"I had fantastic fight the past few years and last year was the closest I've had," he said. "But of course I want to win the world championship more than ever before.

"The hunger… while last year [I felt] the hunger couldn't be any more, it has freakin' doubled. So I am fit and ready.

His hunger [for snacks] has freakin doubled you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

Bring back Tony Montana.

...and as the forums' legend goes: quote this post 5 times while doing donuts in an M3 with expired registration and a coke-addled Tony Montana shall once again be manifest in this world.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

It's a bit like a retarded child petting a dog. Sure you've calmed it down enough that they are petting the dog gently but there's no guarantee that it won't just go mental and start pulling the dog's ears or poking it in the eyes again.

yeah but I still blame your parents

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

A mid-season engine change is extremely unlikely. It hasn't happened in 26 years.

yeah but what do they really have to lose?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

If they are serious about challenging next year with a customer engine sticking it out with Honda and throwing maximum resources behind the 2018 car is the best bet.

Surely time is their biggest constraint in that scenario and perhaps its worthwhile to see if they can Frankenstein a merc engine into their current chassis? McLaren have been pretty confident in their chassis performance if it just had a power unit that worked. At least they'd be able to see where the square peg doesn't fit in the round hole and what changes they will need to make in 2018.

I don't think they'll score a point all year with Honda.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

wicka posted:

Anyone who sincerely thinks that McLaren should try to retrofit the Mercedes engine into their current chassis...just holy poo poo, you guys. No.

If they decide to make the switch, they gain nothing by watching the Honda engine fail the rest of the year. If retrofitting the Merc is a total disaster they at least learn something for 2018.

If the midfield competition wasn't so tight, they could probably get a Honda-powered car to limp into the points a couple of times this season. I just don't see that happening.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

they're givin big sebs the shield so he doesn't end up like his idol when all the wheels go flying off the Scuderia Para-Cordo

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Well you're all ignoring the biggest conspiracy currently taking place in F1, which is the collusion of RBR and Ferrari to take out Mercedes using their proxy, Toro Rosso. Just look at the evidence:

- re-signing Daniil "Pyotr Nesterov" Kvyat
- turning Sainz' car into a 200mph claymore mine days after he threatened to leave
- extra protection being explored for Vettel's car

🤔

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

It should also be noted that these were inevitable escalations after Mercedes drafted the superior Finn and Williams signed Lance Stroll and brought a veteran of vehicle-based ballistics out of retirement.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

dont doxx me

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

That's just how they harvest the dreams that power their engines. First they shatter the big championship dreams of professionals into tiny pieces, then they scoop up those little pieces and put them in their consumer products.

*yanks pull-start on lawnmower as a single tear rolls down Alonso's cheek*

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

Every day for Schumacher is a living death

jesus that's almost as dark as our peek into 1500quidmclaren's love life

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I need to know if it's racist to make fun of Hamilton because he's the favorite driver of your sister-in-law whose been in a years-long blood-feud with your wife? And also because he makes it so loving easy. He's the perfect heel and I hope he's in F1 for a long time.

Hell I'd instantly like him more if he'd drop that transparently-insincere "oh I just love all the fans, wow, you guys are amazing! im doin this for you--the fans here are so great, wow" act and just be "the villain". It'd help his future rap career as well.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

pik_d posted:

Your sister-in-law is right about Lewis and probably also about the blood feud. #blessed #megajet

yeah, nah

but I did mean to thank whichever goon gave us the heads up on those Lewis emojis. They are the only ones I use in messages to my wife now and it's :discourse:

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

So what you're saying is Max could grow out of it?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

:stonklol:

What is a Mega Zone?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I lost it at 'hairline under tension'

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

CratSock posted:

McDonald's McLaren Honda has a pretty solid ring to it...

Baa--da-ba ba ba I'm retirin' it

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

NtotheTC posted:

https://streamable.com/l0r3b

Good British Lad. He's just like us. #grounded

British man makes cup of tea...how ordinary

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Wirth1000 posted:

Also lmao @ Kimi getting renewed. He can clearly still hack it but lol that new contract is probably an old Rubens Barrichello one they dug up and just scratched out Rubens and wrote Kimi's name instead.

Leclerc to either Haas or Sauber confirmed. Most likely Sauber. The Massa route essentially of getting acclimitised in a team with little pressure and learning the technicalities of F1 before getting put in a fuckin' Ferrari seat.

heck, I'm glad he'll still be around

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

Michael Schumacher

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I got to see Ricciardo's car go kaput right in front of me

:911:

:same:

also based on that shadow it was a turkey vulture riding an updraft, not an eagle--but what better metaphor for america, really

• Locked thread