Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

Yeah, that's Poe. Lando is completely different.

But I guess they all look the same to CratSock.

Wirth1000 posted:

I have no loving clue how wrong this post came to be holy poo poo. I'm so sorry CratSock.

Goddammit Wirth1000, I already dug up photographic evidence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How could this be The Worst Thread without Trump?
Also, would Trump make a better manager for McLaren maybe?

Absolutely. He's got a really, really great race strategy. I mean it's just top notch. I can't wait to tell you about it, it's just unquestionably terrific.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

gret posted:

Notre Jacques dropping some truth bombs: "I think there are two classes of drivers. You're either an Alonso or you're a Rosberg."

"... or a (grimaces) Jacques."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

aahahahahaha Paul Tracy is trying to give Alonso driving advice lmao

Man, what's with Paul "Smallface" Tracy in that pic? I haven't seen him in a while, but it sure looks like he's packed on a few. That, the blank stare, and the pink complexion make him look like Rob Ford tuning out allegations of crack smoking.

NtotheTC posted:

Watching the press conference Alonso didn't look at all excited or happy to be there. I think it's hit home that running the 500 involves being in the US for extended periods of time.

He's probably understandably underwhelmed after being dropped off in some backwoods rural American nothing-town. I can only imagine his accommodations.

Goddamn, it's been a bad couple weeks for young racers.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tony Montana posted:

so I went into this E/N thread coz I was bored and it was about some guy that had a girl but she dumped him and now says she was never attracted to him and he sounded like he needed some support.. until you read his writing and discover he's a bit of a dick and probably should be sterilized. Anyway, you keep reading and the dude seems to engage with everyone in the thread and as stupid as he is you think a little if you were being too harsh until.. someone else finds a post from TCC.. this dude is a heroin injecting drug fiend.

This is not the worst thread.

I thought this was the leadup to a Poois Shamilton fakepost account. Which I would have fived.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

• Drivers' names and numbers will be made clearer on all cars from the Spanish Grand Prix on 12-14 May
  • Teams currently not on the strategy group - which has until now been restricted to Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams, McLaren and Force India - will be invited
  • Controversial shark fins and so-called T-wings that have appeared on cars this season will be banned from 2018
  • Next year, any race that is stopped with a red-flag period will be resumed from a standing start
  • Measures will be taken to ensure that oil will not be used as fuel in 2018

Sounds pretty good with the exception of the standing starts after red flags. Races red flagged for weather will never restart.

I've grown to like the shark fins, especially if they let the cars corner faster.

Top Gear has been too much of a mess for me to get back into. I think I watched 2 or 3 Grand Tours and it was pretty weak. I did watch most of the Joey-From-Friends Top Gear, and could buckle in for more since they got rid of Evans. They did, right? I like Chris Harris, and thought he should have had a bigger part in the show. Peak Top Gear was amazing TV, but it just wasn't sustainable.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

A couple things.

While the shark fin is directing more airflow to the rear wing, it's causing issues with recoveries. The Twings should go we don't need two rear wings, and they keep breaking and flexing.

The fins actually look better on LMP and DPi. :colbert:

I'm with you Norns, I do think they look better on LMP cars still, and more of an afterthought on F1. But I had hoped they'd do some work integrating them better instead of just tossing them. T-wings look ugly and I'll be glad to see them gone.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I have to wonder if he was actually involved in the process of creating "his" drink. Being Lewis, I assume he was, because he seems like he'd insist on it. Did he suggest black grape? Did they just put 4 paper cups in front of him and ask him which one he liked best? Did he pour samples from a decanter, swirl the glass, and pontificate on the subtle notes of vanilla, hyacinth, and pyridoxine hydrochloride?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

Mike Skinner? This is the guy they dug up in the States to be their new Stig? Really? He's older and fatter than Clarkson.

I forgot how much I loathed New American Fat Stig. What a piece of garbage.

Diverting to food talk in the F1 lull has been shockingly enjoyable and not awful. This should be the new procedure for off-race weeks. Next time around: Tex-Mex.

McLaren's new standard procedure for race weekends seems to be to use and destroy as many engines as possible. The sad part is I don't know if any of them even run long enough to get usable test data to fix the problem.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Basticle posted:

Oh lordy, Honda is saying they could supply a 3rd team (besides McLaren and sauber) next year.

How many engines do they think they can produce? McLaren will go through 100 by the end of the season. They're really looking for some production volume on this project I guess.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

mrfart posted:

Stoffel is winning!

Wait a second... Red bull is using Tag Heuer branded engines?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Poois Shamilton.

And congratulations to Petronas Mercedes' new #1 driver, Valteri Bottas!

Wirth1000 posted:

He's a national embarassment and I profusely apologize for him on the behalf of all Canadians as such I am duty bound to follow him and point out how poo poo-gently caress he is at all times. I'd even take James Hinchcliffe (i'm learning indycar) than Stroll like holy piss.

Seeing the Canadian flag next to his name when they showed his lovely random spin made me ashamed and angry at the same time. He needs to go. Soon.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

USGP should be one of those huge burgers that you get a T-shirt for finishing.

That'll do nicely.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Powershift posted:

I like that the fact that sometimes he cooks supper and sometimes he goes to a restaurant was an interesting enough tidbit that it made the aired footage.

How boring was the stuff that they cut?

He occasionally eats the food. Also he likes to breathe the air.

*5 minutes of staring blankly at the camera*

He's not awful, but he definitely isn't anything special. But that's pretty much OK with Mercedes, because they can focus on Hamilton's WDC, with Bottas bringing home reliable non-1st-place points to clinch the WCC. At least in theory.

I'd be thrilled (Bottas is not thrilling in any way) if he could legitimately pose a thread to another Hamilton WDC, unfortunately I think it's going to depend on Lewis finishing outside the points when he doesn't win, because there's no way Bottas will beat him on merit. Ferrari will throw a wrench into that relationship too, but the Bottas/Hamilton "battle" will come down to consistency for Bottas and DNFs for Lewis.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

You are broken if you think Bottas is less boring than Kimi

Kimi likes to party, he has a tattoo, and he also drove rally cars, so at least he shows some life. That pic of Bottas smiling at his trophy honestly made me wonder if he was mentally handicapped. :downs:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

tupacalypse posted:

I care more about the impending breakdown and DNF from Lewis because Nicole is there.

this is a fantastic idea and I endorse it with all my heart. Nicole, please dedicate your performance to Lewis and really confuse him.

Nando's helmet looks great, and the commentators seem happy with how he's running so far.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

He's literally the best driver. Dude just wants to race and race fast.

I will be so happy if he does get the triple crown.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Nando about to throw down... the wicker is off and they're going for some real speed.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Human Grand Prix posted:

But you're right. What we should go back to doing is talking about Nicole Schrezinginger and Valtteri Bottas's favourite sandwich.

His favourite sammich is bread with nothing in the middle.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I would like to point out a Hollywood stunt driver named Slick Racin' Gardner also passed Indy Rookie Orientation and qualified for the race.

Give HIM Stroll's seat.

wuffles posted:

look at max verstappen over here, granny shiftin, not double clutching like he should

:rice:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Dubs posted:

Isn't Joe's's family rich as gently caress. I assume he pay-reportered his creds

Pay reporters pay-reportering on pay drivers... If the rest of the world was as dumb as F1 someone would be pay-barristaing you a skinny latte while you contemplate unemployment due to the fact that some affluent lump of poo poo dropped 6 figures to get your insurance adjustment job. :what:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I think it was a good-dude move for him to help his old teammate pick up his first win. On the other hand if someone pulled that crap to help Hamilton I'd be pissed so I guess I'm just a hypocrite. OH WELL.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Wonder how the Nando/Jenson relationship would have been if they had working cars...

It always seemed like they got along really well, and were having fun driving together. It doesn't always have to degrade to Nico/Lewis levels. I think they could have competed with each other fairly, and maybe gotten pissed from time to time, but probably gotten over it soon enough. JFC, this is getting too close to Nando/Jense fanfic. Post over.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

He would have to leave Honda. There's no way they would let this happen.

He doesn't care, does he? If he can get Indy this year (longshot, but who knows), and Honda can't find him a seat for Le Mans in the next year or 2, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. I think he's given up on more WDCs and is going for triple crown.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Halo14 posted:

Yeah huge drift from Lewis, wow.
Lance Stroll

"It's just too easy to make mistakes!"

F1 2017 Driver Selection: It's just too easy to make mistakes!

Theophany posted:

It's Swiss, hence why they're as garbage as Sauber. Ron levels of synergy.

The Swiss are good at watches, banking, and fancy hospitals. They are McLaren-Honda equivalent at food.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I really like the race recaps being available on youtube, especially since I havent' been able to watch any full races this year. Only problem is there's still a lot of lacking context. WTF happened with Waffles and Spring Brain? It looked like he just attacked Massa to avenge his earlier incident pushing Nando off track?

I came in hoping for anything but a Hamilton victory, so I guess I got what i deserved. At least Seb picked up good points. Sounded like Bottas was using an old engine and it gave out on him?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

I would pay Liberty actual money for little WWE style wrestlemania build up videos for the next race.

E.g., [menacing haunting music] Arty shot of "Fernando is quicker than you, good boy (fading) good boy good boy"...[switch to death metal] cut to Massa taking out fernando and then waffles taking out Massa.

It's so good I'm going to write it out instead of posting the .gif. This is perfect in every way.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is creeping me out because the only two threads I have bookmarked on the forums are the F1 thread and the watch thread.

:same:

NtotheTC posted:

For all that the worst thread says that Alonso is BAE the actual person they want to go for a beer with is Lewis because then they could talk about loving watches for hours.

I can virtually guarantee Lewis knows nothing about watches other than something like "yeah, this one's gold, and I really wanted something big and with lots of little things on it that move and stuff. It's gold."

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

NtotheTC posted:

Only in the Worst Thread is not acting like an autist about things a cause for ridicule.

Partially this, but also if you're wearing an expensive watch that has fancy complications, it would seem reasonable that you would know something about them (Lewis kind of gets a pass on this because he hasn't shelled out any of his own money for it, and it was likely handed to him by a sponsor without much conversation other than "wear this").

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

Like holy gently caress this is cool.

I think this looks amazing and would love to see it on track, but I can kind of see how they might think it gives off a Renault-y vibe. Was that a concern? I thought we talked about that at some point. It shouldn't really matter, there are loads of cars who repeat colours, and McLaren didn't have a clear "team colour" that had been consistent very long.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

:) Good job, keep it up!

Also, why the gently caress is there cigarette chat going? And no Renault Mild Seven livery?!

More importantly to my fellow Canadians...

GET YOUR ASSES TO CANADA POST RIGHJT W UFCKING NOW!!!

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/f1-tm-in-canada.jsf

Check out those framed ones, god drat.

I was about to go to the post office in the building next door to check that out, then all of a sudden I realized "WTF is Hamilton doing here?" Sure, he's a great driver, but he doesn't belong in that group, at least not while he's still racing. Put in Prost, Rosberg (Sr.), Fangio, Nige, Hunt, Lauda, gently caress, even Bernie! Whoever... just not Lewis.

The framed GV one is pretty dope, though.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hamilton has more wins than all those dudes so I dunno he should get a stamp too

Schlesische posted:

Yeah I mean, like it or not, but Hamilton and Vettel are in a league with some of the best drivers ever ever.
I get the "not while they're still driving" argument, but they're both stupidly successful at driving cars and definitely deserve their stamps.

Having said that, it's not about who is a great driver, it's about "who can we make a stamp for that people will recognise", and like him or hate him, most Canadians who give a poo poo know who Lewis Hamilton is.

I agree that they're both great (and successful) drivers, I just think it's odd to have him in a set of stamps with a bunch of ex-drivers. But I guess that makes sense about having the most well known face on one too. For the kids. But drat it would have been much cooler to have Alonso instead.

Is Joe's Award trying to push a historic Nazi GP?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

People play Mario Kart sober?

The original SNES version? Yep. Any version after that... whatever floats your boat.

wicka posted:

Yokohama Sakuragicho is the best racing track in video game history, I will fight anyone on this. It's seems so simple but it's so difficult to get every corner right.

It seems we're going to have to throw down, wicka, cause me and Tsukuba Circuit from Forza 4 are best bros 4 lyfe.

Tony Montana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhDNNvoBEg

Saw this last night. It's SO good. Just watch Jos's face! This is an ex-F1 driver, he's no pansy!

Max owns so hard. There are plenty of other videos of Jos and his son's amazing life and sharing being F1 drivers together. Unbelievably cool

I'm starting to like Max.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

So Mercedes has apparently been doing a whole bunch of Behind the Scenes videos with Bottas and Hamilton.

Here's Bottas showing us around his room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzazqgTAm3g

At 0:39 did he say "Guys, a joke, how bout that?" then move on to "these are my drinks" and point at 2 bottles? LOL! That was amazing. He literally just pointed at regular items in the room and stated what they were.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I think the new version looks awesome!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm actually super retarded because this entire time I thought I read you ordered a pair of Kimoa shades. Nevermind. Please ignore the last 20 posts I've ever made.

I'm the retard who spent 30 mins yesterday trying to find a live stream of Monaco. Don't feel bad.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I'm going to make a (not-so) bold prediction and say that this weekend Stroll will cause or suffer one of the dumbest ever Monaco retirements. He's just too bad to last a full race around this tight circuit without massively loving up. I actually honestly hope he doesn't kill someone.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

I bet he's gonna pee in it.

I bet he'll at least tell Alonso he did. "Sorry mate, I had a bit of a wee in it" or however you Brits talk about peeing. #thegoodkindofmindgames #teammateswhoarepals

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

What ho, old chap. Took a piss in your car and suit, I did. Was proper exhilarating it was.

I hope we see pissed up Jenson on the post race paddock coverage on Sunday :kimchi:

I hope so too, I'm just sad that it will likely be due to the fact that he won't complete more than 10 laps, so he just heads back to the garage and hits the booze.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GutBomb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXuEvuyyy4k

I just watched this and the track safety is terrifying. No yellow flags at all with all of these cars just pulling over on the side of the track, the guy pushing his car across the line as other drivers pass at speed. It's insane.

1) "McLaren-Porsche" :fap:
2) Pushing cars across the finish line :fap:
3) JPS Lotus livery :fap:

^ Cool and good F1.

1500quidporsche posted:

Who the gently caress drinks whole milk?

My kid does. His excuse is he's 18 months old. What's JPM's for drinking babby milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

McGuinty posted:

Ahahahaha! Button on Hamilton into the chicane! Where's a goddamn DOTD poll for the practice sessions?

Someone .gif this please!

Wirth1000 posted:

Paul Tracy was a loving ogre.

"The Thrill from West Hill" is a national treasure, and ... ah, I just don't care enough to defend him. You're kind of right.

• Locked thread