Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So, what I thought was a goon ME3 discord server is apparently a reddit one or something, and has all sorts of crazy roles and channels and makes you agreed to a ruleset before you can join voice chat and poo poo, so I've set up a goon one here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814279

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

:siren:

Equipment was apparently just off during the trial, but is purchasable with mission funds in the Item Store tab of the shop. There's only 2 of the 6 available right now for me, spare Thermal Clips for 70 and a Juggernaut Shield (Shield HP and Melee Damage) for 120. Save your mission funds!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Shotgun reviews:

Disciple: 4 ammo, 24 in clips, hits like a truck still.

Hesh: 10 ammo, 20 in clips, fires much faster, does about 1/2 the damage of the Disciple and you're always out of ammo.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Napkin math from the discord:

Going from a level 1 to level 10 weapon appears to add:

25% Damage
25% Accuracy
25% Reserve Ammo
-50% Weight

Only checked it on some pistols, so there's a chance it's different for different weapon types, but unlikely. ME3 was just damage and weight, so the spare ammo and the accuracy boost is pretty nice.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

If you're having trouble in Bronze, buy the 5k packs and grab the Charger pistol/smg. I've been running Silver on a level 12 or 13 asari adept with a charger x no problem, especially if I toss some incendiary ammo on it for extra explosions.

I put it on my level 1 Krogan Sentinel, and proceeded to out dps a bunch of level 10 guys. It's not gamebreakingly powerful or anything, it's just really solid unlike most of the other commons.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Any IRC or discord for finding games?

Second post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814279

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Is the Mattock available for the multiplayer? Is it any good? It was always my go-to pre Saber.

It's still there. It's still the Mattock. There's some other interesting assault rifles that might compete with it, but I don't have any of them.

I need my Reegar back.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Whomever was talking about the Charger pistol earlier...holy poo poo you weren't lying. It melts faces. First two times using it I got gold kill/pistol medals. That's never happened for me with the M-8 Avenger. Maybe the M-8 is just poo poo and I'm experiencing a not poo poo gun for the first time, not too many options when buying nothing but basic packs. My Charger is rank 10 and still playing on bronze, not sure how well it holds up on silver.

It totally holds up if you use an ammo booster. :D

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nechronic posted:

Yeah, I don't care about single player right now. I'll start it up after I've capped the loot boxes. I still think strike teams are worth doing because you can spend the resources on character respecs.

They're also how you get equipment. Seems to have been disabled for the trial, but I can buy the max shield/melee damage equipment for 120 now, or thermal clips for like 90.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

TVDinna posted:

I haven't seen any discussion on this and can't find much online right now either.

Thoughts on which packs to buy?
I feel like Expert is a good alternative to Premium right now since buying 2 Experts gives 2 Rares just like Premium would. Probably a lower chance to get Ultra Rare from 2 Experts than 1 Premium but also 10 items instead of 5.

Short term, the Basic packs might be better to get started off for those immediate upgrades but long term only Experts or Premiums?

Basic Packs include a lot of poo poo you're going to want in the long run, including bringing more consumables per mission and your weapon mods (Scopes/Ultralight Materials, etc). Plus, I'll say it again, the Charger is fan-freaking-tastic for a common. Plus it fills out your Boosters for really cheap.

Bronze missions give about 10k, Silver give about 25k. When you're opening up 5 per round you play, you level stuff pretty quick. Definitely buy a few of the other packs to get new characters and weapons to gently caress around with, though. A Widow 1 is hilariously powerful for clearing Bronze on new characters.Bodyshot instakills all the unshielded guys, headshot instakills anybody shielded.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

But Backlash is overpowered. You take no damage from in front of you while it's up, it reflects everything shot at you assuming you activate it in time and if you go for the increased damage reflect upgrade, you'll get Ascendants killing themselves with their giant orange orb.

Wait, it reflects the big rear end orb? That's amazing.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

So, once you get all the common weapons to 10, that drop slot changes to weapon mods. I played a bunch of silver and a gold with goons this afternoon, dropped it all into basics. Before I finished leveling the weapons, my mods were mostly level 1 with a few level 2s, now I have a bunch at 4+

If I remember, ME3's loot boxes had a weird priority system, so for a basic box you always get 3 pieces of equipment/boosters, 1 guaranteed spot that rolled either a common weapon or a common character, and one spot that was anything from Uncommon Weapon or Character down to a piece of equipment. It also wouldn't ever duplicate a category, so you could get a Common Weapon and an Uncommon Weapon, or a common character or an uncommon character, but not two common weapons.

If I had to guess, I'd assume that weapon mods exist in that last spot, and maxing them out just pulls that roll out. And since the first slot is always a common character, the chance to roll Weapon Mod skyrockets.

Blitzing through buying common boxes seems to be the way to go, boring as it is.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It's not that all ARs are poo poo, it's just that the common and uncommon ones are.

Fun fact, the Charger X has the same accuracy, but better damage, right, clip size, reserve ammo and is lighter than the Avenger X.

The weapon tuning is seriously hosed right now.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Harlock posted:

I'm Harlockian on origin

I enjoy playing the multiplayer

Get in discord, son. In game chat is crap.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zotix posted:

Yeah so, I have no idea what button breaks a grab on PC. I've rebound my keys, and like nothing seems to respond once I'm grabbed.

It's E for me, or whatever you've bound Use to.

It seems like certain things aren't rebindable. I've rebound Alt to something else, but it's still bound to Shoulder Change.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

MorgaineDax posted:

What do you mean? Do you not love hearing some dude's tinny death metal playing in the background, barely drowned out by the chips he's eating?

I ran 6 bronze matches in a row with two pubbies until that fucker showed up and I had to ditch.

You can mute people really easily. Always mute everyone not on PTT. Mouse over their name in the lobby or the Esc menu in game and press X.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

precision posted:

Speaking of minibosses, what's the trick to Destroyers? They seem to have a shitload more HP than Fiends, Hydras, Agents, Ascendants, etc.

Their weak spot is the glowy bit in their chest that opens when they're charging up a big attack. It seems to be a bigger modifier than on most enemies, a single Widow II shot on silver takes off about 1/4th it's shield or 1/2 it's health.

But the turrets are the real danger. Once those are gone you can basically ignore it except to dodge the big shot every 30 seconds.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Not super impressed by the various soldier classes so far, but as usual there's the bad weapons/low level caveat. Are either the Asari Sentinel/Adept any good in Gold?

For the adept, take annihilation field to 6 with shield restore (and I like the 20% damage bonus to stuff in your field), Lance to 6 with use shields instead of cooldown and barrier to 5 with shield restore on melee. Lance and punch everything while regenerating your shield constantly.

For shits and giggles mine has a charger with the melee booster and a Widow for when I can't be bothered to run across the map to kill something. Also observers.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Didn't even think you could get a score this high on bronze.

Asari adept is so loving fun, I can't wait till I get the field mutations that give me more movement speed and shield restore.

I actually ended up respeccing into the damage boost instead of biotic wind, because she ends up meleeing a LOT, and biotic wind doesn't seem to help your jumpjetting.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

rio posted:

Any suggestions so far on the most fun class? I have played infiltrator through the whole series so I went that way here too. I am not NOT having fun but I don't feel like the class takes advantage of the way the combat has changed in this game and the open world fighting. I can usually sit back and plink away but it is not as interactive as it felt in the first 3 games and feels kind of lame. I have not played multiplayer beyond one game but if the class is fun there too then that would be a bonus.

Asari Adept, or eventually the Krogan Gladiator which is the same thing in a Krispy Krogan shell.

Guns are mostly bad in mp, which is unfortunate and kills a lot of classes.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I've got one. Haven't played her much, but I've played alongside her a few times. Here's what I think!

She is SUPER TANKY, like all Krogan, and she has Annihilation Field, so she's good by default. The big difference between her and the Asari Adept is that she can't do her own Detonating, so she needs a decent team to take full advantage of her kit. I don't know that I'd play her in pugs, but she's awesome in a coordinated gold group. If you have a Human Kineticist on your team, who knows what she's doing the two of you will lay waste. Annihilation Field + Zero CD Throw is nutso.

I played with one that took the Disable instead of shield regeneration on Annihilation and it actually seemed pretty effective at holding things down while he head butted everything to death on gold. Hilarious to watch too.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

InnercityGriot posted:

Finished Nier:Automata and am starting this, what are the best classes or at least ones capable of playing Gold effectively? How's should I be spending my credits/grinding?

Start working on your mission funds right now through strike teams, 120 gets you the juggernaut shield which is 10% shield 75% melee damage bonus.

Human Vanguard, Krogan Vanguard, and Asari Adept all have solid melee builds that can take you to gold. Krogan Gladiator too, if you get lucky. Anybody with stealth grid can do gold too.

Somewhere around 900k credits will max out your commons (including weapon mods) and give you a good base of uncommons, which is 90 bronze matches, 36 silvers or 16 gold matches. It goes by really fast once you get out of bronze.

Most people are playing Gold Outlaws as they're way easier than the other two, and there's no credit penalty for not playing random.

Most guns are Officially Bad(tm) right now. They need to do some balancing, but besides that the juggernaut shield is the only major equipment we have access to, so melee builds are king.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

precision posted:

I forget the map's name, but the one where you start on a rocky platform and if you go immediately forward and a bit left you'll get to a big building with a ramp up the left side. If everyone camps near that ramp, the enemy only has two approaches. One is up the ramp, which lol they're dead, and the other is the backdoor to the room, and it's easy to keep that clear since it is a doorway.

There is also a Dallas Book Depository very high up and to the right which will further trivialize everything if you have a sniper on the team.

Outlaw is the easiest faction so do that.

I don't know if this is a known strategy but I seem to end up on that map a lot more than the others. Pubbies seem to really hate the bigger, more fun maps. :(

If you're with a lot of snipers, the outpost made of 2 story buildings can be fun. There's a single spot they jump up on the far left, anybody with a decent melee can keep it clear as they jump up one at a time. I dont think hydras can make that jump either, they always seem to come up somewhere else. Then there's 2 different barriers to crouch behind, and just click heads as people jump up. Doesn't work vs remnant observers but it funnels the kett and Outlaws really well due to them queuing to jump up. A couple of them will jump up to the other building and then never come across, too, preventing you from getting swarmed.

It's especially funny when meleeing them before they've finished their jump resets them back to the 2nd floor, you can just punch the same two berserker over and over as they take turns jumping into your fist.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do you unlock more patterns or is the human soldier pattern literally just 'here's a stripe'

There should be a stripe, bonus extra stripes, and FULL CAMO (which you should color bright pink over some sort of yellow or green).

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Two Finger posted:

No idea dude but same. I barely touch it and I made the goddamn thread. It's a real disappointment and I can't quite verbalize why. I'll try it again today and try do some more updates but man its not grabbing me.

I'm reminded in a few ways of the original Diablo 3.

There's something here. There's a magic in jumping over a ledge, hoverscoping, popping two mooks in the head and airdashing back onto your ledge

Melee fist dropping in between three mooks with an annihilation field and then popping one with lance to explode all three of them feels great.

Most of the guns are crap, the melee lockon is crap, and it's just not as fun as it should be. There's not enough dudes to kill or varied enough ways to kill them. You have your pick of a couple different sniper rifles for clicking heads, or a couple different melee options for pure murder (except for the lockon is iffy), and everything else feels janky as gently caress. The Venom Grenade feels great when you get a couple of hits on a Chosen's face. And then you have to hit 3 more AND STILL PUNCH HIM if you want him dead.

There's definitely something there, but it's going to require some patching and possibly more effort than Bioware cares to give it to even rival ME3.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Digirat posted:

This game has 47 guns but it feels like there's way fewer in practice, because much of the content becomes obsolete as you unlock other content. Vermintide has 30-something weapons (not counting weapon types that are shared between characters, which puts it at 44) and that is exactly how many weapons the game feels like it has. The balance isn't perfect but at least it's not intentionally designed to make the one-handed axe obsolete as soon as you get the two-handed axe or whatever. Both weapons are viable on cataclysm difficulty and both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Even then, there are a bunch of really great sounding and feeling weapons I will never use in their current state.

It's clear that nobody at Bioware built a spreadsheet with very basic info like Time To Kill, Damage Breakpoints, Total Damage Per Clip, Total Damage With Ammo Reserves.

They'd notice the whole Charger vs Avenger thing, but everything else is out of whack too.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Pierson posted:

Are there any other games besides this and Mass Effect 3 that have a similar short match/wave-based coop thing tied with random box-opening stuff because every match I've tried to enter has kicked me to the main menu.

The only thing I've found that comes close is Vermintide. It's built off of a L4D skeleton, so more "moving through the level completing set onjectives" instead of waiting for things to come to you in waves. And it has its own pile of balance and technical issues, but it is pretty fun.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

limited posted:

I'm also sitting on a pile of 50% XP boosters from buying the guide ( The multiplayer chapter sucks. No detailed information like damage / HP for enemies, and a cut-paste from the game for basically everything else. ) but can't use them because they're likely to get wasted.

Does the guide list out weapon stats at I or X?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Pierson posted:

Yeah I love Vermintide, just taking a break from it right now in case of burnout.

I assume people are already discussing the planned changes in the other thread? Hope we get some real MP stuff and not just a few decimal points while they focus on fixing the single-player stuff that has gotten the most media attention.

http://blog.bioware.com/2017/04/04/mass-effect-andromeda-patch-1-05-notes/

There's no real details yet aside from some bugfixes. I'll be vaguely surprised if they actually put up complete patch notes before they patch.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

limited posted:

Nope! Doesn't even list out all the MK I stats either. They just copy-pasted the basic stats that never change, and then just put a single red bar with no numeric value for anything that changes like power and weight. Basically a tiny bar for sidearms, and a big one for sniper rifles.

Of course they didn't. I'm working on a TTK spreadsheet (because I'm a giant nerd), but I haven't found a solid repository of weapon data yet.

It's halfway moot anyway because the RoF numbers mean absolutely nothing on semiauto/burst fire weapons (RoF doesn't reflect the forced stops, the Hornet shows that really clearly). It also means nothing on the Widow unless you're turbocharging the ammo count. And something seems off about the battery powered ones in regard to RoF as well, but I only have one to play with so far and I went to bed before figuring it out last night.

I think the battery depletion rate might not be tied to damage ticks. Like the battery depletes 4% twice a second but it deals damage every .2 seconds. So the damage per battery only sometimes lines up exactly. I was definitely killing bronze raiders in less total% of battery holding it than burst firing it. So a single click takes .5 seconds of battery life to deal .2 or .4 seconds of damage.

I need to test headshot and scoped rifle shots modifiers as well. The raw math says a full avenger x clip should be doing more damage than a single non crit scoped widow shot. And a full charger x clip should do about the same or a little more a scoped widow crit shot with a 2x or 2.5x modifier. But the reality doesn't seem to line up with that.

All that aside, Charger still has better TTKs than everything outside of the falcon, revenant and basically all of the sniper rifles, and one of the better Total Damage Before Running Out Of Ammo numbers, and weighs half of anything else worth carrying. So expect to see it get nerfed into oblivion on Tuesday!

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

Add me to the PC list and everyone just add me because I'm lazy. TIA :liara:

Origin name is Riyott

Get in Discord, scrub.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

overdesigned posted:

I specced my Asari Adept for max melee and it seems to be working on Silver so far, yay.

Only two crashes-to-desktop today so far!

Weirdly enough, I've found that speccing annihilation 6 for CC instead of shield regen is better for Kett and Revenant.

It's kind of a wash for outlaw, as their big threat are bersekers/i guess agents/occasionally a sabatour, and it doesn't do poo poo against armor.

But it ruins wraiths and breachers as well as giving you breathing room after taking the shield off observers or any of the kett stealthers/miniguns and lets you punch them to death.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Piell posted:

How does the Equalizer compare to the Charger? I've got an Equalizer IV and it feels better than my Charger X, would like to know if this is actually true.

Equalizer I is about 10% better dps until you have to reload, but 20% less damage per clip. You also miss less and hit more headshots. It takes a huuuge hit at gold because you're looking at reloading at least once to kill a gold raider unless you're getting over 50% headshot time with it.

If you never let it hit 0 and are weaving in abilities it should pull way ahead. It's a great example of a sidegrade.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Servers offline after i updated. Very nice.

They said servers would be down from 8-9 PST.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Hactar posted:

Those are pretty big damage nerfs to the Mattock, it must have been a big increase in fire rate.

The actual fire rate of the mattock was like 1/3rd of the listed fire rate. It was pretty bad.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Additional notes:

Stealth Grid

Fixed an issue that caused Stealth Grid to deactivate immediately after being used.

Biotic Ascension

Fixed an issue that prevented the Kineticist from gaining Biotic Ascension charges when not the host of the match.

Vanquisher

Fixed a bug that caused the Vanquisher to have an extra 100% headshot bonus

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zikan posted:

lol that explains quite a bit

It explains why my goddamn damage modeling couldn't explain why the vanquisher was 1 shotting gold raiders with a head shot.

It's still super competitive to the black widow, and should pull ahead with 25% gun damage bonus. The next breakpoint on the black Widow is like 80% gun damage bonus, so great for turbocharged soldiers who want to 1 hit bodyshot kill a Chosen.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

Yeah, I misread what you typed. That's pretty poo poo, though.

I thought part of the balance of the game was having lesser giant enemies to your relatively lower damage output, so this isn't a fun change.

ME3 had a max possible giant targets per spawn, so you always nuked the first one.

What I'm more worried about is when it's a hydra followed by 3 bersekers. Those things have a TON of hp for always spawning in pairs and being able to one shot your shields on gold.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

PureRok posted:

So, I have a question for something I've always wondered. Maybe one of you fine folks will be able to answer.

For the Valkyrie, is the listed damage per bullet or per burst? Because each pull of the trigger is a 2 shot burst.

So, is it 99 damage per bullet (so 198 per trigger pull), or 99 per burst (or 49.5 per bullet)?

All damages are per bullet, except shotguns. They didn't split out pellet damage, so it's per trigger pull.

Most burst fire weapons still seem to have bugged RoFs, though. They're in line to deal decent damage based on the listed stats, but the RoF# doesn't account for the hard stop after a 3 round burst. It's worst on the Hornet (lists 950, closer to 400 in reality), but anything burst fire is a trap right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

PureRok posted:

That's too bad. The Valkyrie is my favorite gun and I've used it almost exclusively since ME3MP Turian Ghost days. Love it with unlimited ammo (heatsink) on SP.

The good news is yesterday's patch was almost entirely buffs to guns with RoF issues. They were mostly the semi-autos, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hit all the burst fires next.

• Locked thread