Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frush
Jun 26, 2008
For those of us without the early access I'll share a couple things I learned quick in the couple hours I spent with some buddies tonight.

-Some powers have different effects when you tap vs hold the button. Overload is a prime example, and will chain if held
-The powers have a little circle on them in the UI if they time prime and a little explosion symbol if they detonate
-The new softcover system takes some getting used to. No more pressing a button to take cover
-You may have a number of packs waiting in the store on startup (I had 6 from various places)
-Ammo boxes are individual now, instead of shared. Hog all the grenades you wish!
-Encumbrance starts at 100% and goes down. No point putting on lighter weapons to get that +cooldown modified, it's a penalty only
-Take a look at the button layout, it's changed somewhat.
-You can hover if you press the right button while jetpacking. For me on the xbone it's left trigger.
-I think they shortened the bleedout timer. Enemies will still stomp you though. Rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

StringOfLetters posted:

I also have a question about combo abilities that I don't understand, and can't seem to test because so much other poo poo is usually blowing up around me: there are a few skills that have options to also make them a primer or detonator. Energy Drain is a detonator by default, but has a l5 talent to make it prime guys. Incinerate is a primer by default, but has a thing to make it detonate on impact, too. Can they do both? Like, if your talented-up Energy Drain detonates a thing on a guy, will the guy be primed by the Energy Drain for another detonator to splode?

Yes, you can have them do both. For some classes it's even a good idea so that they can self-combo.

Its fun on single player too. I've got a Sentinel build using throw, energy drain, and incinerate, all of which now can both prime and detonate. All combos, all the time! And if you do it right, one combo can set up the next. A combo combo!

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Im worried they're just going to nerf sniper rifles into oblivion, completely missing the point of why nobody uses anything else.

My guess is this is the exact plan. The stream seemed to indicate that way, and in the ME3 they rarely buffed guns, just nerfed the good ones mostly.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

precision posted:

Actually they buffed guns a lot, just never the ones that really needed it. Like for example almost a year after release they were still gradually increasing damage on things like the Incisor.

In a game full of 'best in slot' weapons, buffing something in a way that still leaves it worse (especially if it's objectively instead of just subjectively) is functionally identical to not buffing it. But yes, you're right that I am exaggerating slightly on the no buffing thing. Though lets just remember the Claymore, Harrier, Hurricane, and Black Widow from the last one, and how few guns were comparative unless they were niche cases.

In my opinion, guns of the same class should do roughly similar damage, but have different mechanisms that differentiate them, like beam vs bullet, charge, etc. Some guns being high risk/high reward is good too. But balance in my mind is that most guns are more of a sidegrade than an upgrade so everything is viable but plays different.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Digirat posted:

This is why I've complained so much about weapon rarity being closely tied to weapon quality. I do not think unique content should be intentionally designed to be a worse choice in all cases than other unique content. If you desperately need to have vertical progression instead of horizontal progression in your game, then do something like vermintide where there is a set of colors for each weapon, but where each weapon can be just as relevant on the top difficulty as it is on normal. Don't design a gun with unique graphics, sound and feel, then make that content functionally obsolete as soon as the player gets the Better Gun. Several guns work this way right now, such as widow->isharay and viper->vanquisher.

This was a big problem in Destiny as well. You had tiers of guns, which even had flavor text, but after you got your first blue? Say goodbye to all the greens. Repeat at purple and to a limited extent the yellows. Granted, Destiny was trying to be part MMO and that's somewhat the way they roll but even within a tier you had perks that would render the same gun garbage vs god-tier depending. And it basically still ended up with everyone using the same few guns. Though there in the competitive multiplayer you had the opposite problem, where victory was more related to stacking the good one hit kill weapons. Meta will always be a thing, but diversity within the meta is probably a good indicator of balance.

Honestly I think an example of it being well done was the M-7 Lancer in the ME3MP. It wasn't better than a lot of guns in terms of damage, but that infinite clip and light weight was fantastic, especially on the power classes. It was good (to me, subjectively) despite not being damage-wise the best in slot. In fact, looking back at the list of guns, many of them operated differently and had at least a brief moment in the sun.

You're right that in most cases the best guns are tied to rarity, but I think that the vertical progression is at least a bit necessary since you need to provide people with the incentive to get out of bronze and challenge themselves to get those larger credit rewards and the better guns. Even games like Call of Duty have a progression. The better question then, is assuming you get reasonable balance, what's the best incentive to get on that treadmill? A prestige system? Banners and callsigns?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

precision posted:

I just now learned why everyone uses the Equalizer:

It has literally perfect accuracy as long as you're in range (17m). Can't hit anything at all farther away than that, but drat. I've used it a few times and liked it but didn't know why it was so popular, now I do!

Yeah, I just got one last night, and it's probably the gun that feels the best to me so far. Does decent damage on Gold even at low rank, has a bit of a shorter range but most of the time who cares, and I personally enjoy the overheat mechanism instead of having to run back to an ammo box every 10 seconds. It'd be one thing if the enemies didn't have huge amounts of health overall, or if most weapons/powers didn't suck, but...

The other nice thing is if you have a sidewinder, you can put that on as well with no weight penalty and use it for stuff at a bigger range. It's no vanquisher, but hey, it's a bonus.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

i do NOT like BBQ posted:

crazy rear end mattock damage. Nerf that poo poo.

Wait, what?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Did we ever solve whether the double ammo bug used up both or just one?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Two Finger posted:

well to be fair, that wasn't working as intended unless you're honestly trying to tell me snap freeze was meant to work through walls

The N7 Paladin was one of the most fun classes to play in that whole game. It was totally my jam.

Let's not forget an important thing here too; this isn't competitive multiplayer. It's ok for something to be a bit broken as long as it's fun and not 'best in slot' by a wide margin. This is the current problem with the vanquisher. No one cares the geth juggernaut was OP sometimes because you had the Fury, Slayer, hunter, Paladin, Etc that were all fun and importantly, VIABLE. Right now there are classes and weapons that aren't. And not just a few.

A good example is Warframe. There's all this stuff you can build a bunch of different ways, and a lot of it is viable, or viable enough, all the way into endgame. So it becomes more about how you want to play and collect all the stuff than just running gold till the RNG finally gives you X.

And this whole TTK needs to be bigger thing is BS. Especially when the AI is so much more aggressive and bent on flanking you and flushing you out of cover, along with the things like sync grabs/kills and you could make a valid argument that the TTK actually needs to be lower, since there's a lot of time you need to spend running out of flanks or pressing a button to get that darn dog off your arm again. If you're running or recovering you're not firing, and any gun you aren't firing does zero DPS. Which means a longer TTK by default. Besides, learn from the mistakes Gearbox makes with their enemies and give them interesting mechanics instead of making them giant sacks of hitpoints. In my mind the Ascendant is the worst offender in that regard. Interesting mechanic, but you shouldn't have to kill that little orb 5 times.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

That DICK! posted:

i wish you could play as mario

Play the Turian Havoc colored red and pretend your hovering is goomba stomping?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Digirat posted:

Re: gearbox enemies: Borderlands 2 actually has some really neat enemies. The problem is just that the game is more heavily controlled by numbers than skill, so any cool mechanics they have just don't matter once things get too out of sync.

Agreed.

The problem there is this; games typically have to be balanced for either the early game or the end game. If you pick the early game, everyone gets to see your cool mechanics, but later on you have fewer ways to compensate. This ends up with the simple 'sacks of hit points' enemies like Borderlands 2, or the 'endless small increments treadmill' you see in games like Diablo 3. Or, god forbid, the arbitrary 'overlevel' enemies you can't keep up to like in Destiny. Overleveled enemies are some of the biggest BS. Noone should have to eat a huge penalty (for 2 levels wasn't it something like 40% damage penalty both taken and to damage?) because you can't design enemies well enough.

Alternately, you balance for end game. The problem is very few players will get there, but it will generally make for a much more rewarding experience. This is more what you saw in ME3 multiplayer (until Platinum), where what matters is whether something is 'gold viable'. Essentially the difference here would be something like how in the lower difficulties you could get by just using throw or energy drain or any abilities you liked, but in the higher difficulties, you better know how to combo and set up your build. Now things like Geth bombers become part of the difficulty and get to show off their niche. MMOs would kind of fit here too, since while you can do whatever while you level, endgame raid difficulty is based on enemy mechanics and knowing what works, though build viability is often a problem.

In my mind, balancing for endgame is always a better move. It's more satisfying and better to maintain a playerbase, and it's always easier to turn up the difficulty than it is to deal with lovely design.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

precision posted:

Oh wow, the Piranha is actually decent.

It's not bad compared to most of the guns in the game. Once I get it above rank I I'm sure it'll be more useful. RNG! :argh:

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

I keep hearing this complaint, but I don't quite get it. The characters sound alright to me. The Salarians are a bit wimpy (especially the Operator) and the Krogan Engineer does sound a bit weird, but the rest are fine. The Krogan Merc sounds just like the Krogan Soldier from ME3.

You seriously don't hear it? The Turian soldier sounds like a nerdy accountant or something. Some are ok, but there's a lot that are kind of... off.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

Maybe he used to be a nerdy accountant. But honestly, I don't think he sounds like one. He just sounds normal?

What do you expect him to sound like?

He sounds higher pitched and way more nasally than most (any?) Turians I recall. Maybe I'm just crazy, but the other guys I play with joke about it too so I'm not the only one.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Alright, summary of the livestream (I managed to get away with watching it at work);

-Non-sniper weapons are all getting a buff
-Some powers were getting a buff
-Combos were bugged and not scaling with difficulty
-Shotguns will have a 'more defined role' related to use as a skirmish weapon
-Mid & high level outlaw units getting buffed
-Kett all getting nerfed, including sync kill chances
-Cobra RPGs getting a buff. Won't be OHK, but more damage will carry through, including on Ascendants
-UR weapons are supposed to feel better and be better than other rarities, and are getting buffed
-They are looking into crashing and definitely want any feedback from people there
-They're going to add something to do/buy with unused mission funds, related to progression speed

No actual numbers for now, but they'll post them closer to release.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

It really will be cool to see new classes. I'd like to see a proper Turian Vanguard (though a return of the Cabal Vanguard would still be cool). Maybe Biotic Charge/Fortify/Turbocharge, with a passive focusing on Biotic Ammo?

There was no mention of new classes, but I feel it's safe to assume there will be some released with this patch. That's at least sort of how it worked previously.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Heh, I actually wrote that before seeing your post. Thanks for the livestream information, and I hope you're right. I want every flavor of vanguard. Including Salarian.

Also what's the bet there's a singleplayer DLC featuring friendly kett, so we get kett MP characters?

Right now? I wager not very good. They still have to reintroduce all the other Milky Way races the Quarians are bringing along (because lets face it, that's the super obvious choice and cliche as it is they'd be fools not to use it). And then there's only two Anagara characters, and they really seem to want us to love the Angara (look at all those missions where they were all 'You should take Jaal along!' and even if you didn't he just talked at you over the radio the whole time).

I think we won't see any turncoat Kett characters until the lifespan of the game is almost done, if at all. I think they're trying to set them up as bigger, more classic villains for the next ones and it'll be tongue in cheek at best if they throw playable ones in. But that's just my guess.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

I wasn't necessarily thinking right now - more like the second or third SP DLC, at least 8 months from now. I agree, we'll get quarians and drell first for sure. But I do also think we have to get 'playable villains' - this game's equivalent of the Awakened Collector.

Honestly I'd be surprised if we got them at all. ME3 had kind of wrapped up the storylines there, so really they could just throw it in there with minimal excuse and everyone is most just 'sure, whatever' about it. Because they're fairly obviously planning on using the Kett as a recurring antagonist they likely won't be so free with that kind of thing. But then, if they can make money from packs by throwing a Kett in they will so...

I guess I just wouldn't hold my breath is all. If they do you're right and it'll be way down the line.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Relentless posted:

...have they played an fps before?

Their literal design philosophy was 'enemies have to jump around now so lets make them damage sponges'. If they have, they certainly didn't take many lessons from it.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

So it's not even being fixed in the next patch... great.

They said they're always working on that, so it's possible your particular error or someone else's is resolved but not all of them. Maybe you'll get lucky this time.

MarshyMcFly posted:

What about the double ammo bug? Are they even considering taking it out?

No mention of it. I'd guess they'll try and fix it, but its probably uncommonly enough used that it isn't a priority.

Two Finger posted:

So 75% of weapons aren't working right, two of three factions are not set up properly, a major damage mechanic isn't functional, and some player powers need a buff.

I'm impressed they are making such big changes honestly. But yeah, the scale of the changes they need to make really underscores the frustration I've had with the game.

Yeah, kind of my thoughts too. They're making some radical changes, but they have to. It wasn't nearly this bad, but all of us who were in the ME3MP as well remember when they had some rough things too. The awful vanguard bugs, overpowered Geth shotgun, banshees literally teleporting into sync kill, etc.

I guess the point is that this patch should help most of the issues, but it was always iterative.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Relentless posted:

I just want to be a space wizard with a shotgun. How did things end up this far off track? :(

If I knew I'd tell you. I just want combos to make things explode, so maybe there's hope?

Give me my N7 paladin back. Including Snap freeze through walls. :(

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
What are people doing with the Asari huntress? It's a bit of an odd mix. Seems you either want to spec throw to combo and be a worse adept, or spec for barrier and stealth grid and be a worse soldier.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The hornet is easily my favorite pistol at the moment, although I don't have the also-buffed Hornet/Eagle.
The KroEngineer is a powerhouse now - incinerate + overload are incredibly effective and her massive weight capacity lets you bring basically any weapon you want. Even the Turret is a useful tool now.

Yeah, agreed. But while I've been leveling it up I have to wonder what an actual good build would be. You'd lose out on a lot by going into the Rage tree for the shields/health, but you're very squishy if you don't. I also like have the turret able to prime since combos are much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Stop making me want things I don't have!

• Locked thread