Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mazz posted:

Oh rip never seen that, gotta figure out why not.

https://battlebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Cursed_Crystal_Skull only shows up on cargo missions. Not that great unless you set up for it or put it on a Dastard anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
yeah whatever elsei t's clear that chosen are "over tuned" and need a balance down. Taking away one of their extra perks would seem like a good start.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mazz posted:

That’s actually probably the worst part; you can just slowly work down the unholds because they regen ~75 HP a turn, so you have to devote 3-4 good bros to.do meaningful damage, meanwhile they will toss and injure bros with decent regularity. If there are 6+ chosen in the fight along with 2+ frost unholds you are basically guaranteed to have at least one guy end up in an unrecoverable situation.

I think this is where the indomitable / adrenaline / recover cycle comes in. I haven't had a chance to really test it yet because I've been levelling up a new company to try it, but two bros with indomitable, recover, and rotate can tank a frost unhold essentially indefinitely, so one bro with indomitable, recover, and adrenaline should be able to do the same.

of course throw chosen into the mix and yeah.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mazz posted:

The problem isn’t really the damage unholds do, it’s the tossing guys out of position and that their AoE has a high chance on injuries.

Right, indomitable will block both of those also though (both the injuries and the knockback), so you can hold them for forever so long as you don't get exhausted. On paper, anyway.

I've beaten groups of four frost unholds with zero injuries by rotating tanks out, theoretically you could do the same with one tank and Adrenaline *but* adding lots of barbarians and chosen etc really complicate things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mazz posted:

Does indomitable block the throw move or just the AoE/knockback? It’s the throw I hate the most.

I have never had an unhold move a bro at all who had Indomitable active. Gotta keep it active though.

I really think indomitable is a mandatory pick on all frontliners post-B&E.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 18, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mazz posted:

Ah yeah if it blocks the toss I can definitely see it working better too. Every time I tried to tank them normally the unhold just forcibly evicts him over his head in a never ending quest to kill my most vulnerable bros.

I’m starting a new game as well and it’s ironman, I’ll have to try out recover + indom more often.

It's . . . useful but very finicky. The higher base fatigue your bros have, the better overall it works, because you get more back from Recover with a higher base pool. You probably want 145 or so naked max fatigue to be able to do the indom cycle AND anything else, but if you have that, you can go recover + indom + adrenaline and keep it going almost nonstop while still performing some other actions (presuming you don't get Staggered, the enemies don't use adrenaline, etc).

Edit:

Ok yeah here's how you beat a group of seven unholds:

It doesn't work perfectly -- note the slight disalignment and the one injury -- but basically it works. The overwhelm warscythes probably helped too.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 19, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Funso Banjo posted:

So how long do recruits stay in a town until new ones take their place?

I think 10-20 days OR until an event in the town wipes the slate. Note this means villages have faster turnover unless you actively hire/fire to purge.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

In my last run I had a Dodge, Relentless, 2 stars in MDef, Overwhelm Ratcatcher that managed to just not get hit.
In this run, I don't currently have a bro that I think can handle him that the game will actually let me use. I sent in the bro with the highest defense I could use to see if he could do it but the dice weren't with him.
it'll only pick from active bros, so you can reload and shuffle your reserve till you get the guy you want as an option.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Good names for a trading company origin?

I used to go with "Suicide Kings" and the sword and king banner, or more recently "Croakers" and the raven on snow banner, but I'm out of ideas for the merchant start.

Also I didn't realize this could happen but I managed to actually find the red castle helm from an event:

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-59-progress-update-standard-bearers-knights/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If your Sergeant has "hate for undead," will that propagate through the banner?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, the +10 Resolve buff is active throughout the battle.

Neat, so a brother with both Fearless and Hate for Undead would have a total of +20 resolve vs undead fights, which would carry through the banner to other bros.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Does the special effect from the Reproach of the Old Gods proc Overwhelm?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the way to play Lone Wolf is you get training from a citadel then hit level 11 by day ten, and that's high-risk. It's Ironman Dangerous, in that you just reload and you're fine, but still.

And like many of the starts it's hard to find a good sergeant (unless you get lucky with the Squire) or good ranged backup.

The bigger issue is in the very late game when the party size limitation becomes truly annoying. I ended up retiring my lone wolf run at the second crisis just because I wanted to run too many side experiment characters and I didn't have room for them.

Now I'm starting over as merchants. Maybe the Repo Men and use the giant octopus with bills stuck to it banner?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

One word of warning about the trader origin: the "make nobles aware" ambition is a gatekeeper for a ton of others, even things like the one that wants you to have two hammer masters. So expect to be stuck on that one forever because you've run out of other ambitions to take while being unable to upgrade your inventory space or get the trophy ambitions.

Yeah, I did a Merchant run up to the first crisis over the weekend, and this meant that I was locked out of making much reputation progress until like day 60 or so (which figures since I normally hit that threshold around day 30, so it took twice as long).

Overall I liked Merchant at first but I ran into an issue where because my renown fell behind, mission rewards didn't keep pace with salary costs, and while I certainly had plenty of cash I wasn't floating on scrooge mcduck moneypiles like I had hoped.

I wish so many of the top-recommended maps didn't have the bull-flag House, I just hate the aesthetics of it so any map with that house is not an option for me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

vyelkin posted:

I'm enjoying my merchant run right now at that same midgame window because I find I have a lot more money than I usually would at the same time. Buying and selling trade goods can make insane profits, and because you also get a discount on buying stuff, not just selling it, a lot of your upkeep costs like food and tools are also that little bit cheaper, and outfitting yourself with good armour is also cheaper than usual. Even though I'm significantly behind on where I would normally be with renown, my guys are probably better equipped than my usual midgame company because I have multiple suits of heavy armour already.

Which map seed are you using? It might just be that I need to go back to good ol' https://bb.frukso.se/seed/OYTDZXDZSO/ .

I think what bothers me is that I feel like trader origin should allow me to be breaking the game over my knee, instead it's just, like, reasonably balanced with an emphasis on trade :P

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

vyelkin posted:

I'm using "chosenhell"

There's a great dyes city close to where you start, near a city that I easily got to very good relations with. There's also a nice little cluster of mining towns that produce salt and gems/salt on the east side of the map near another big city that frequently has ambushed trade routes.

yeah it unfortunately is infested with Bull People >_<

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Are you using some mod altering the map generator? chosenhell has lion, sun and arrow nobles.

I shouldn't be. Hrm. I'll check when I get home. Maybe I'm thinking of a different map.

edit: ahh I must've miskeyed when I ran it earlier. Lion and Lady hats are not the best hats but they'll do.

Maybe I'll use BBEdit to change the decorated helms into different, better helms once I get them. I prefer to be peacockin', or at least anterlin'.

Have you found any set-with-the-seed camps that have named items?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 24, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

The Necrosavants I posted a screenshot of had a good shield. Hardened Keeper, +24/+15/-15 at 50 Durability. They're northwest of Grubenheim, along the mountain range in a location called Circle of the Bloodbound.

Rofl, this was literally the only location I'd done in my run so far, good thing I can rollback a save :P

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
things I hate:

town has "disappearing villagers" but no mission to go hunt that which terrorizes

village has "ambushed trade routes" but no mission to clear and even with the map hack I can't figure out where the drat camp is

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

factions giving you a contract in one town to go defend another one on the other side of the map, then you have to return to the start to collect your pay. what.

I now quicksave before opening a faction quest, just so I can walk closer to wherever it is and take the quest from the closest town.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

oh wait holy gently caress what

you can take them anywhere???

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

when you open a faction quest the game "Saves" them at that spot

But if you just don't click it or open it at all, you can just walk to the next town down and usually it'll be available there too

sometimes, rarely, on large maps with lots of towns, you'll get different faction quests if you walk far enough but normally all that happens is that if you walk to the specific town that's linked you can't take the quest at that town (i.e., "clear ruined hut northeast of grafenheide" means you can't take the quest in Grafenheide even if the hut is actually closer to Waltschotz. But you can take the quest in Waltschotz.)

also the game has a quicksave button, f5

saving and loading is very very exploitable in this game in a lot of ways and I encourage it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GodspeedSphere posted:

So my end game day 560 Battle Brothers are still struggling against the Chosen Barbarians. They're so drat infuriating. I'll admit I'm not 100% optimized, but they shouldn't be harder than a monolith or a kraken.

You should probably post about that on the steam forums in the balancing thread, the devs might notice there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

There was also a wolf helmet (Beast Coif, 159/-5)...somewhere. I got it relatively early so it might be always there. I realize this isn't particularly helpful but if any of you find it as well you could post its location.

Forgotten Fort west of Sandfels (on an island).

Goose is SW of Grafenheide.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

282/-26 armor called Heritage Scale Tunic.
Of course, this is pretty late in the game, but I had never been to that region before so the location might have been there since day 1 anyway.

unfortunately yeah it's not a generated-with-map site (just checked with the maphack and a day 1 save).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Southpaugh posted:

Honestly janky and unforgiving enough that I'd say stay away.

sounding more like battle brothers by the minute

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

moot the hopple posted:

I wonder if the devs are assuming that players can take out beastmasters to aggro unholds and are thus underestimating the difficulty of the fight? Because it's such an unrealistic strategy considering beastmasters are pretty tanky for a backliner, their taming appears unrestricted by range so they don't advance, and the players are hard-pressed in fielding archers when you need to hold off so much frontline, especially in 20+ groups.

im really not sure the devs do much playtesting. I don't get what they're thinking with chosen at all.

"wouldn't it be cool if there were an enemy that had two handed lightsabers that crush all defenses?" "oh, and also they have infinite fatigue" "cool"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 27, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is it possible to actually lose the noble war achievement? I switched factions (the greatsword was totes worth it) but then my team quickly lost two villages in prompt succession and welp

If they'd let me take a battle mission I could turn this thing around, but. . .

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dogstile posted:

You can still go pick on a house by raiding all their supplies. Relations go back to cold after regardless.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing in the noble war on my current run. Started just finding groups that had knights in them, then training them onto other groups till they were small enough to tackle.

just rmemeber to leave one house friendly enough to get the general reset.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I added a "Perks" section to my guide, please tell me how much crack i'm smoking:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Genghis Cohen posted:

Could anyone tell me where the best site/method to download mods for this is? I know there's no Steam Workshop and really would like to add some mods to allow me to see recruits before buying. I am a filthy cheater and spend a huge chunk of time saving and reloading my game in order to recruit efficiently.

Any recommendations for a well packed seed are also really appreciated. I want to set up a proper good run where there's plenty of easy money, good places to buy gear and recruit bros, and the locations (particularly in the north where barbarians are) support questing into the far wilderness to farm unique items.

My last run through was Northern Raiders and I found it a bit frustrating - because of how the houses work, I wasn't really able to operate at length in the northern part of the map, so I never got much high level barbarian type kit, or any of the unique barbarian recruit events.

Yeah, I'd recommend "chosenhell" with Trader start for a nice long game, it's what I'm settling into. Use BBedit to give your starting bros good traits.

https://bb.frukso.se/seed/OYTDZXDZSO/ is probably the best northern raiders seed I've seen -- great southern trading. As you say though the problem with raiders is you miss the north half of the map.

Nexus Mods has it all. I like Better Obituary, Tryout Stars, easier lone wolf, battle preparation, and better hit information. You'll need mod hooks as well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh and just for everyone

It is totally worthwhile to search for some Bros with good matk, init, and Huge, and make them into dedicated overwhelm warscythe Lancers

I don't know how I lived before I found them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

Headhunter is a trap. It only does something if you've hit the body before, so it often contributes to spreading damage around. And most enemies worth building for have good helmets: Ancient Dead all do, Orc Warriors generally do although there is a low level Orc Warrior variant that sometimes doesn't, Fallen Heroes usually wear helmets, noble troops with the obvious exception of Sergeants often have better helmets than body armor.

Yeah, I was just trying to fill out that section with some sample builds that

1) weren't the standard stuff like berserkers or shieldwall bros

and

2) didn't rely on overwhelm

and I only had so many ideas!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Koldenblue posted:

Hey thanks this is helpful! I think under “reach advantage” did you mean to say adrenaline, not anticipation?

I was wondering, does the bonus from brawny allow you to wear heavier armor while staying under the 15 fatigue limit for nimble?

thanks yeah I'll correct that

technically it would but it's a percent based reduction so it'd only save you a few points so it's probably not worth it, you're better off just finding a good famed armor piece instead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
rofl, like 80 days after I took a bribe to break a contract and betray the Sun faction during the noble war, they turn on and attack me after I take a contract to take apart an orc camp for them. We're in the orc war now guys! It's supposed to be team up time now!

Now Sun is hostile but my team is so advanced now they're all just loot pinatas

fortunately I still have that dandy greatsword I got for betraying them and yay it does bonus armor damage, so, convenient

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

double nine posted:

I can't really wrap my head around the types of units I should have in an army, and what stats that I need/want for their roles. I'm completely new to this game and honestly, I don't know what's good other than that onehanded weapons seem weak but if they don't have a shield your units die like flies. With shields they die only slightly less quickly.

I honestly don't want a billion different subtypes because the nuance will get lost, just - what are a few (3-5) basic types of units and the stats designed for them?

My assumptions - 5 shield units with whatever melee is available.
the rest of the front line - 4 axe or other two handed units
then ranged units - hay forks and crossbows - are bows any good at any point because I have not had any kills or even decent damage with bows, whereas crossbows tend to murder when they hit.

BUT I have no clue what stats are important for these roles (other than melee for ... melee and ranged for crossbows), and what number makes a good recruit in this regard - is 40 melee good, bad? Is 80 fatigue good or bad? etc.

so some guidance if at all possible for making sense what my ragtag gang of cannonfodder is worth, and what gear and battle role to give them, so I don't end up with ~2+ deaths per battle.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902880552

Jump forward to "building better bros: basic builds"

archers are like wizards, they suck at first and clean up late game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

Is reach advantage bad now? I thought it was considered essential for greatswords but I notice you don't take it

It got nerfed from a percentage based bonus to a flat bonus a few patches ago, so it's still useful, but you're in such a tight premium for perks that you're better off taking Indomitable and just shrugging off every hit instead. Plus, Indomitable makes you immune to stuns and pushes and injuries which are all pretty important vs. DLC content. ANd you're already taking Recover and Adrenaline so you're set up to cycle Indomitable anyway.

I should probably spell that out in more detail in the perk section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

ull message:

We’re back from vacation with a rework of everyone’s favorite opponent, the Alp.

Why do a makeover? The intention is to have Alps provide unique encounters and challenges with a puzzle-esque element that is solved differently each time, unlike with the first iteration of Alps, while also be fun and without the tedium that now plagues the second iteration of Alps. All while staying true to their lore.

What’s changed? Alps now work like this: They no longer spawn any shadows. Instead, they attack themselves at medium range. They get a unique passive ability as well as two familiar spells, each with two tiles range, and any combination of the two can be cast per turn.

Their ‘Sleep’ spell will inflict the ‘Sleeping’ status effect, which works similarly to ‘Stunned’ in that a sleeping character is unable to act. However, sleeping characters can be woken by adjacent allies, just like you can free adjacent allies from webs, and using the ‘Rally’ skill wakes up every ally within 4 tiles as well. The effect of the spell can also be resisted in the first place with a successful Resolve check. Finally, after 2 turns (or 1 with the ‘Resilient’ perk), characters wake up on their own again.

The ‘Nightmare’ spell of Alps can only be cast on targets with the ‘Sleeping’ status effect. It inflicts damage that scales inversely with the Resolve of the target (like attacks from shadows did), but can not be resisted entirely. Once a target receives damage like this, it wakes up and loses the ‘Sleeping’ status effect.

Unique among all opponents in the game is the new passive ability of Alps, which works like this: Each time any Alp receives damage, all Alps on the battlefield, with the exception of those stunned or rooted, shuffle to a different position within 2 tiles range of your men. In other words, each attack on an Alp will change the look of the battlefield and will have you reevaluate your priorities, which mirrors how they’re besieging your mind in the lore.

What does all of that mean? Fighting Alps is now much quicker, it’s different each time, and there’s much less incentive to strip everyone naked before each fight because fatigue is not the deciding factor. The strength of Alps also scales less with their numbers, which makes them viable opponents from the early game until the late game. They’re not the most dangerous opponent in the game, but they can and probably will kill some of your men.

Changelog for 1.3.0.24

Changed mechanics of Alp. See above for details.

Fixed characters unable to move out of a zone of control when their opponent is armed with a three-headed flail.

Fixed exploit that allowed the player to lose effective fatigue by switching to items on the ground.

Fixed various minor issues such as typos.