Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jokes posted:

I usually take Pathfinder because it's annoying NOT having it.

Ditto. It's really, really handy being able to maneuver pretty much at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Night10194 posted:

I kind of suspect with all the new horror monsters and evil creatures coming in the DLC we might see a Cult crisis like that event.

It says we've seen both of the coming spellcasters, unless that's lies.

the Alp, at least, is totally davkully

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

If you do want him upfront swords use less fatigue than other weapons.

And as has been mentioned, until the expansion sword mastery is almost entirely the best melee specialization (after sprinkling in a couple hammers). Unless you have a dude with ten billion fatigue who you can make your designated flail / spikechain rear end in a top hat.

Might still be afterwards, even, but it'll be more viable to toss in some other stuff.

jokes posted:

I like this low fantasy-ish setting where yes there are zombies and orcs etc. but not, like, wizards that you get. Just spears and luck.

Magic potion? Well, meth is pretty much a magic potion, sure.

I think there's a witch hunter event that's a little spooky.

Also cultists, also the mentioned historian events.

But yeah, I like their (stated, in this devblog update!) dedication to the concept. Someone earlier in the thread said that what makes your company famed hardasses is that your response to the skeletal armies of NotRome rising from the grave is "Right, lads, stow the spears and bows and switch to flails and axes".

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 12, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I more mean 'oh poo poo the monsters of the world have been called by Davkul, he ain't waitin' for the sun to go out and yeti has made peace with nightmare eater who has signed a treaty with rear end in a top hat tree.'

I certainly hope so!

and in the game

--

I'm making an effort to finish my current run before the expansion (I don't think there'll be a problem); I'm on the third crisis, after which I can retire for the top merc fame achievement, I'm pretty sure. I think I'll save the endgame locations for post-expansion when I have more and funner tools (and apparently at least one more endgame location!).

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 12, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Affi posted:

So I have a bro who's got 50 melee with two stars, 15 melee defense with one star and 18 ranged defense. At level one. Isn't those defensive values like hilarious?

Fucker is short though so I don't really know if I can use him for anything given the -15% dmg. Maybe he can be our dedicated knifer?

Are you sure you unequipped his shield? Because drat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Donkringel posted:

So new campaign! Retired my old legendary company.

I'm still going to finish and retire my current company for achievement reasons, I'm early in the third and final crisis for that. But man am I delighted the expansion isn't going to be 2019.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Man, finding good archers on a map without a single forest settlement is pretty rough.

Don't hunters and witch hunters sometimes spawn in swamp settlements?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:stare:

Unique monster bosses for high-end legendary locations?

yes

yes

yessssssssssss

quote:

Should you manage to beat the Kraken, you’ll not only get the treasure it guarded, but you’ll be able to craft items from its remains, and you’ll unlock it to appear as a regular albeit rare enemy in swamps across the wild for your epicly long campaign.

lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

A crisis where one noble house allies with an orc warlord and you get combined noble company/orc groups to fight.

orc young stun your front line and the arbalesters and billmen open up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

three more days :getin:

cannot wait

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can't pre-order / pre-buy the DLC, right?

Nope!

That said, :siren: for anyone reading this thread who has not bought the game yet, it's 40% off right now for the autumn sale :siren:

poo poo, maybe i'll add a copy to my Secret Snulsmas gift

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

- magnetboy is a pretty good seed, seems like; iron lungs on shieldbro, short bowbrow (and irrational axebro, which is gonna bite me in the butt someday); bit short on good ports (does have one on literally opposite ends of the known world though) but has a very nice civilized south
- if you take an exploration mission and can't find the place after wandering around a bit, you'll get an event with a tip

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 29, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

just ran into a hexe with an unhold bodyguard with a pretty early-game company

i'm not TOO worried, one unhold isn't a big problem and I can rush the hexe with other melee bros

edit: fun fact, hexen can cast while in melee on at least dudes in melee

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 29, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jackard posted:

Am I buying Beasts and the banner for $10, or just the banner?

just the banner, they're separate on steam and presumably separate there

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

BB was already really good so I'm amazed they managed to make it so much better.

I am now even more of a packrat, what if there's something craftable that needs JUST ONE MORE unhold bone, I can't afford to sell my five

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm really not a fan of these sorts of "hidden" crafting systems, it just makes you use spoilers or trial and error everything, neither of which is particularly fun

i personally enjoy discovering it the first time round

especially since you don't have to mash different combinations together to see if they work, just have the stuff in your inventory

one of the early unhold hide things is better doggo armor :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

lol got TPKed by a 7-alp (the nightmare monsters) fight

positioning is very important

it was going well until it abruptly wasn't

always follow the buddy system, and remember, while it's tempting to hold hands with your buddy, don't do that

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 30, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

so far i love all of the nu-enemies i fight (and the little updates to non-nu ai)

- Spiders are a mildly interesting new earlygame enemy - they're not very threatening under normal circumstances but I can see them being problematic in larger numbers etc.
- Alps are really fun and require you to bring your positioning A-game.
- Unholds are fun for the opposite reason of Alps - they're going to gently caress up your plan and your positioning and you're going to be presented with interesting new tactical decisions as a result of their big stompy bullshit.
- Hexen are goddamn dreadful and it's great. I forgot what their Hex debuff does and lost a brother.

i'm still pretty early game so the only combo pack i've faced (outside of some orc hunters running into a big ol' spider pack and me joining the festivities) was 1x hexe, 1x unhold, which wasn't terribly threatening but i can see 5x unhold, 2x hexe or so being nightmarish for a first-crisis-ready company.

I just fought 3x unhold as a company that's not yet fully 110-chainmailed up, which was a little bit unpleasant. Lost a brother.

alp/anything else combo packs are going to be amazing if they're in the game

also, once you figure out how to handle them, kill every alp you see and take every alp-defense contract you see, their bits are used for a trinket i'd absolutely 100% keep available in Old Endgame

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 30, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm getting a small steam patch new this morning, any idea what it does?

crash hotfix, maybe, i had exactly one crash and i know of another person who did under different circumstances

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

there is now a lindwurm-hunt contract :stare:

i did not take it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

there is a "cultist procession" town temporary modifier

i do not know what exactly it does, i do not see any recruitable cultists and the only mission is "go punch some orcs at an orc housing development"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Virulence posted:

events like those are meant to increase the number of the applicable recruit in the town but it may be bugged and not work the way it's supposed to all the time, someone i know got the archery contest town status and no archery types (poachers, hunters, bowyers) were available to recruit

i was totally up for recruiting a cultist or two too :saddowns:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

My game was going pretty well, then I ran into a bunch of Alps and now everyone is dead.

I haven't fought schrats or, obviously, :krakken: yet, but Alps are super duper fun.

And yeah, also responsible for my only TPK so far.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dreylad posted:

DKMIFFDVRC

Starting bros aren't bad but nearly half the map is Swampworld. For the masochists.

I'm still having trouble getting a company going for some reason.

It seems harder than before for a similar difficulty setting - maybe it's the under-the-hood AI buffs to the humans.

Another contributor might be a slightly lower proportion of human fights, so you can't loot quite as much usable gear as quickly.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

welp, there's two tpks

day 35, hexe defense mission, she brought two schrats to the party

i was not prepared

also, while the minions show up as charmed, they do not up and leave if you kill the hexe, they will continue killing your bros

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

edit: also i'm increasingly certain some of the recruit-boosting events don't work right - the witch burning got some witch hunters to show up but i've seen a cultist procession and an archery contest with zero (0) relevant hires

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

"oh cool, the charmed super-flailbro next to three of my dudes just went to 'routing' morale, he won't be killing anybody

...wait"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Virulence posted:

I hate hexen so much. :v:

Maces are the best anti-hexen tech. You just wallop the dude twice for middling amounts of damage and he stands around doing nothing until he recovers.

too bad they're not exceptional against any of her beast-buddies; none of them rely on heavy conventional armor, and while you can plausibly fatigue the poo poo out of unholds, it's a better idea to just dps them down

nets and shieldbash might be the actual best anti-hexen tech

edit: :siren: everybody, save every direwolf pelt you see for the taxidermist

do not sell them until you see the thing you can craft with a couple

trust me :siren:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I came across a witch's hut so I decided to see what happens if I go in. Fun little event chain with no option to back out, then dumped straight into a fight against 19 enemies, a mix of different beats including frenzied direwolves and unholds, and five hexen. That on its own would probably be too much for my early midgame company, but then on the first turn, before I could really do anything, they charmed four of my frontline bros from within the fog of war where I could neither see nor shoot them.

I think the devs didn't really balance some of the new enemies, especially when you walk into these encounters with no idea what you'll be facing.

I mean, they did mention in the devblog that there were more boss-level legendary locations than just the monolith-city-kraken. :v:

Five hexen seems a bit much though. See also the wild variance in difficulty in Hexe Defence missions.

you can, however, just ignore those contracts and maybe should play on non-ironman so you don't lock yourself into anything game-ending

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 2, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Any random knucklehead background has a chance to be great, but some have more chance / a higher ceiling than others.

Early game (for generic melee bros): Wildmen, brawlers, farmers, caravan hands
Middle game: Militia, squires, wildmen, brawlers, lumberjacks
Late game: Squires, sellswords, raiders, 1 hedge knight per company (trust me), maybe adventurous nobles if you're not living in terror of the looming spectre of Man With Crossbow

And even in lategame it's worth giving militia / wildmen / brawlers a tryout (and a hire if their traits aren't garbage), because they can highroll into excellence, and the other halfway-decent cheap backgrounds a tryout followed by a hire if they have really good traits (iron lungs et al).

Initiative is in fact a dump stat unless you're building for it. Hp's also lower on the priority scale as a general rule, however,

you shouldn't just auto-slam melee attack / melee defense / fatigue. If they low-roll and/or resolve, ranged def, or even hp highroll, take the highroll unless you think you really have enough of it. There's some fiddly tactical contemplation about ranged defense, mind, but in the Age of the DLC you want good resolve on anyone who might even think about fighting hexen/geists/alps, which is probably everyone.

Also, veteran levels are obviously slanted towards attack and defense, because 1 point of those goes a bit farther than 1 point in other stuff.

I'm boring and I don't specialize my brothers very much. Here's my melee loadout (ie, everyone except archers and the sergeant), time of pick somewhat variable, * next to stuff I think even more creative players should take a whole lot.

*Student
*Pathfinder
Rotation
*Brawny
*Weapon Mastery (i haven't seen the wacky lategame weapons yet but greatswords are still amazing and a couple two-handed hammers never go awry, so)
Reach Advantage
***Battle-Forged
*Berserk

Quick Hands
Bags and Belts
Recovery

Even before you got a bunch of new things to stuff in your pockets in the expansion, I was a serious believer in everyone carrying backup stuff - generally going into battle with 1h weapon and shield, and an inventory of dagger-2h weapon-backup shield. Substitutes recommended if you're, say, going into battle against an enemy with little or no ranged capability.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sloober posted:

Alps weren't too bad, it really just is keep in a 1-tile separate grouping as you rush them. I had a 5-alp encounter my first go, after i figured it out i split my guys into two groups to go after alps on the opposite side of the map, making sure there was enough space to ensure someone stayed awake. Seems like alps will only do damage if like 75% of your guys are asleep. Archers are not a good solution since they pack like 90% arrow resistance

I think the trigger for nightmare damage is "do i feel threatened at this time, or can i take a breather from incapacitating bros to start 1+ on the path to death".

Doggos are also great for alp fights, you just have to be aware that if one races off in a direction you aren't sending brothers it's somewhat likely to get slept and killed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

grrarg posted:

I don't know if it is due to the mechanics of the DLC fights or the fact that I've lucked into a bunch of recruits with stars in both m.atk and r.atk, but I am having a lot of success with a backline mostly filled with quickhands pole and xbow users. I usually go archer heavy for the backline.

Polearms are pretty good against unholds (so that you can try and have only one person swipable at a time while still pumping out the damage), but I don't really see any particular reason they'd be unusually good against spiders/hexen/alps/schrats.

I guess crossbows help with hexen pretty good, but i would not be excited about getting a crossbro charmed.

the actual winning unhold-killer strategy though, other than just being lategame and no-selling their dps via heavy armor and battleforged, is Fearsome; their hp pool is obnoxiously large, but their morale isn't particularly good

i'm just not sure it's a good enough perk with the undead and kraken and schrats and stuff lurking around

i still put it on my bow-archers though

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 4, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

As much as I like my starting companions, I actually prioritize map over them (because I'm willing to leave them dead instead of alt-f4ing). Especially now that we can dredge semi-affordably for iron lungs on good backgrounds.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

I didn't realize what Hex did until I decapitated some dude's firstborn.

Also the best way to fight Hexen is to use lots of maces.

yeah, lightly clonking your dudes in the head with stunmace is the best way to handle charm

shieldbash-and-then-move is a passable alternative, but stops being great when you have to deal with 3+ hexen at once

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Why is my Battle Brothers constantly downloading tiny updates but I can never find anything the devs post about patches or hotfixes?

i actually came here to post the newest hotfix :v:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/1692687668321865629

quote:

Another update to address issues that you guys reported.

There's likely to be some balance adjustments over the coming weeks, but we'll wait until everything has settled a bit and people have learned to deal with the new opponents using all the many new tools available.

Changelog for 1.2.0.19
Changed 'A Pact with Witches' contract to be slightly easier.
Changed rewards in 'Big Game Hunt' contract to be a bit higher for bigger beasts.
Fixed training hall effects not lasting for the correct amount of battles.
Fixed two-handed weapons potentially disappearing from bags for a charmed character.
Fixed issue with 'Break Siege' contract.
Fixed 'Hunting Lindwurms' and 'Big Game Hunt' contract sometimes changing their skull rating when opening negotiations.
Fixed characters dying from a hex not showing up in obituary.
Fixed issue with ambitions not triggering.
Fixed various minor issues.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Gordon posted:

Holy poo poo, get ready to have your mind blown:

You can repair damaged equipment without using tools in exchange for gold on the Weapon/Armorsmith screen by pressing ALT + RMB. (JUST DONT RMB, THAT SELLS THE ITEM)

My mind is blown

it's crazy expensive compared to tools though, so only really useful if you're like in mid-town-defense and need that reinforced hauberk back to snuff right this instant

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Gordon posted:

Lol, think I am going to pass on that!

now i want to know if you can only fight the kraken once or if it respawns once you beat it

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I'm pretty sure in a dev diary they mentioned that after you beat it the first time, there's a chance that they'll spawn randomly in swamps

oh right, i remember reading that and going :stonk:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm finally bringing my late-midgame / early-lategame company online - reinforced mail hauberks for frontliners and occasionally enough spare cash I can make forward-looking decisions. Also, just beat the undead crisis.

There's a three-unhold mission squad from an abandoned mission rolling around my favorite mining town that, as a mission squad, doesn't interact with local companies or the town. Or me. It's been hanging out for like eighty days now and while I'd be interested to see how I fare against them now that I feel equipped to take them on, I'm frankly tempted to just let them keep wandering for the rest of time. It's like a wildlife preserve. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Is the heavy dog armor actually useful or can I waste all my Unhold hides on larger quivers?

Also, is the Bone armor addition that makes you immune to the first hit every combat worth it? Seems like it could be pretty good for lategame stuff that hits hard.

it's probably better than the +durability stuff late game, because it'll probably block at least 30 damage or whatever if you're getting hit by something hard enough to care

maybe worse than the -20% fatigue? that's pretty good for slapping the absolute heaviest armor possible on everyone