Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Affi posted:

Will it be compatible with saves at all or is that a dream?

Haven't read anything official. My guess is that saves will work, but that the new content won't show up until you start a new campaign, as it was with the last DLC.

6 hours to go says Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

caedwalla posted:

Is it not available for pre-order or am I just an idiot?

It's not, same as last time. It will pop up on Steam in less than 1 hour if things go well.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Wafflecopper posted:

It's been an hour since I posted this and steam has only just gone from "available in approximately an hour" to "available in less than an hour" "available in approximately less than an hour". I mean yeah I kinda hoped that'd be the case. Can't we just get a countdown?

20 mins. I thought it would unlock at 6pm CET.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"Support the Devs" version bought. Patching...

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Beauty of peasants is that their stars and starting weapons can randomize, unlike the other company origins.

Also Lone Wolf is a way rougher start than expected.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Unholds are just big sacks of hitpoints, right? Only those tamed by the Barbarians have armor.

Wouldn't that make the new whip a great weapon against them? Stack a ton of bleeds without the need to get too close?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dreylad posted:

Yeah despite the advantages it feels like a 3 skull start.

The only use for their unique gimmick are probably battles you want to retreat from. Like getting ambushed in woods and such. The starting gear does not make up for that, since you want to replace the starting bros anyway, because of their low resolve. Last guy had 17.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sjs00 posted:

I have the new DLC but never picked up Beasts and Exploration. Is Beasts as good as this new one and worth picking up?

I would answer that with a careful yes....

First of all, it's relatively cheap and you support a really cool game. B&E adds a bigger world, like 25% bigger, more events, weapons, some crafting and gear customization, one new merc background/company origin, new legendary locations and about 5 new monsters.

Opinions about the new monsters vary. Some add a good challenge, others are just dumb and annoying, yet dangerous (see Alps).

Warriors of the North is more what I personally wanted. A new unique human faction, fresh company mechanics and a solution to the mid-game named weapon grind.

I would rate WotN higher, but B&E still has good value, even if you don't like some of the new monsters, thanks to the world size, events, gear, crafting....

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Basic game is 50% off on Steam for the next 19 hours. If you still haven't bought it, now is the time.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Night10194 posted:

Most of the new monsters in Beasts and Exploration just aren't any fun to fight. I think the Webknechts are the only standout 'yes please I want to fight these this rules' enemy from that expansion.

For me it's mostly the Alps and Hexe, these two just added too much supernatural stuff to the game. The Alps can be countered with careful positioning and lots of dogs, the Hexen are super annoying cause you need to stun them if they cast their damage shield.

Speaking of which, the Staffsling might be a worthwhile counter to the Hexe's bullshit.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 11, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Broken Cog posted:

Full Hexe groups are fun to fight with that fight club tactic some goon early on in the thread suggested where you just unequip all weapons from your party and punch them all to death.

General tactic was to have a low tier club as alt weapon on every bro when preparing for a Hexe fight, but who carries that many clubs.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Did the Barb King count as champion?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Personally I would hate not being able to hire a bowyer, cause of the Masterwork Bow event.

The limited selection makes sense though, it's only the undesirables and the laborers who are welcome in that company. I will call my company Les Miserables.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Good news for modders, they changed the file structure, each company background is now a separate scenario script which can easily be modded. Someone just released a brandnew version of the 18 bro mod on Nexus, for all backgrounds.

You can also easily edit it yourself from there, for example for different world scaling. It's probably also not too hard to change certain things like the Militia's recruitment restrictions, talents or starting items. Guess creating a new company background from scratch might be possible too...

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/76

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also this seed has been making the rounds on Discord, use for a Lone Wolf start, then report back what you think of him: OQCMWOTZND

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Broken Cog posted:

These are some unlikely allies (they were not hostile to each other, and there were no necromancers present)

This is weird and if you have the time you should report it as a bug to them.

Living and Undead, from what I know, should never ally in any form in the game (except Necros).

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 13, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Popete posted:

Should I be using 2h axes in the beginning? Seems like my bros miss with the axe way too much despite having like a %60 chance to hit.

No, without a shield you expose yourself too much and the early bros usually don't have the armor/hp or defense skill to survive once they start missing with their 2h weapon.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Since it's rather easy to create new backgrounds now I was wondering if it's worth it to create some kind of "Sword from the Stone" scenario, if I can find the tags for the legendary weapon.

Start with a farmer and his 2 low-born friends and almost no funds. But with a magnificient weapon.

Should be possible to give your farmboy the protagonist tag, same as Lone Wolf, just gotta find a way to bind the weapon only to that char.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 13, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What I don't like about militia is that the limited backgrounds just cost you too many fun or interesting events. Think ministrel, monk, historian and many more.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Night10194 posted:

I really wish there were more ranged background options. Needing magical forests for their rare crops of Hunters and Poachers is one of the more annoying parts of BB.

Sellswords are another option, although they are often stupidly expensive. But when you see a Sellsword with a ranged weapon in the town roster, there's a good chance he has a decent ranged stat. They also have better ranged def than hunters. Highest Sellsword RA roll is 52, highest for Hunter is 59.

Below that is Witch Hunter, Poacher, Beast Slayer.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ha3Jj--NRVuA7XE2GPMFz_6HFk832MJviMDQI3Ww1mc/edit#gid=1266845488

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I wish Lone Wolf let you have, like, 14 people in the roster. Being hard limited to ZERO reserves just seems too painful.

Nexusmods.com has a new "18 men on field - 9 in reserve" mod up since a couple of days. Works for all backgrounds.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/76?tab=files

Scaling is left untouched.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 15, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Look at this beautiful monster.....and then I got a super-crappy map and had to re-roll.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't care how bad the map is, I'd play the poo poo outta that

You didn't note the seed did you?

Let me check.

Edit:

Luckily I kept a screenshot of the seed, just in case.

MHLHSMPTZB

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 17, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anyone want a HUGE BRUTE as Lone Wolf? His stats get diminished a good deal from these traits, but those head hits would be pretty awesome.

Seed: AQGNDAWQAP

...now fill him up at a tavern, til he gets Drunkard too....

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The fountain of youth legendary location permanently fixes that now.

Is that permanent now? Cause if I remember it correctly, it used to remove the "old" trait, but later on the same event could trigger again. There was even a mod to make it actually perma.

That's a nice change if you can get an actual young swordmaster now.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is the goldmine seed spelled like this "goldmine", all in lower letters?

Cause the citadels have no smelter/furnace, which is usually a no-no for me.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Does anyone have a seed for a Huge&Brute HedgeKnight? I have one, but it's on a bad map with sub-par rolls on the HK. And it's my dream combo for a campaign.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

What weapon for that build? Axe?

Axe because Mansplitter - and if you roll Huge+Brute you can later hopefully get Drunk per event.

Try this one then:

https://bb.frukso.se/seed/OYTDZXDZSO/

Starting bros aren't as good as goldmine but the trade is bonkers good -- multiple dye villages and a village with gem AND salt, all on loops in the South.

I've been doing a poachers run through two crises on it (noble war and orcs) and think I'll try another as Barbarians just for kicks.

Thanks, this is pretty good. Also mushrooms. Just too bad the HK start has cocky and mediocre rolls.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 26, 2019

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Here's a fun trade route:

Salt+Gems in Hammererden, Salt+Gems in Erzheim, Salt+Copper in Kaltenhof. The HK on this map is bad with quick and optimist, but maybe the other backgrounds are good (I haven't checked yet). This map should generate a ton of gold once you are in good standing with the mining towns.

The map has no mushrooms and no swamp towns, so it's bad for cultists. But there are 2 big trading harbors in the South, as well as most of the usual: wine, beer, bees (mead?), amber, lumber camp, hunter's lodge (only 1 though), 2 citadels - one with smelter/weaponsmith, the other has a furnace/armorer. And various other stuff.

Seed: EDKVYTWENP

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

dogstile posted:

I ended up giving up on the cultist scenario because the rewards are absolutely terrible compared to what you have to give up. It was kinda funny rescuing a guy from spiders only to immediately stab him to death tho.

Have you tried cultists on a map with lots of mushrooms? It's either the swamp or the mushroom farm that makes them spawn in the recruitment pool.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That new DLC is a nice surprise.

I sorted through the Lone Wolf seed farm on Nexus and here's a really nice one: FehqSAVlQQ

Huge&Brute with good rolls, 2 gem mines and all the essentials, just no mushrooms.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyone know what the price for the new DLC is gonna be? It's probably going to be my problematic purchase of the year. I'm expecting 15-20 but knowing for sure would be helpful.

$14,99 according to their latest blog post here: http://battlebrothersgame.com/

I'm also among the people who only recently found out that their writer is a shitler, which is problematic. Not all the writing in the game is bad, there is good stuff there, like the flashbacks to the time of the ancient dead, the witch hut event and sometimes simple stuff like saving a kid, or having the craftsmen in your company help build a house. And funny poo poo like the eunuchs "skills" or the bard events. Unfortunately there is cringe worthy stuff too, like the refugee description and the original ideas for the South.

I will still play the game and buy the DLC since this is among the best tactical rpgs available. If I'm correctly informed their writer is an external contractor and I don't want to punish a small studio for his brainworms. If I decided to only play games made by good people I would have to slash my gaming stash in half and delete any of the rpgs that Avellone had a hand in, anything related to Ubisoft and countless other games because the whole industry is so rotten.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 6, 2020

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Seed: jiYsapepaZ

This is a relatively decent Gladiator map which I pulled from the Lone Wolf database. North hat citadels with smelter/furnace. Ras Sanan has a port, so you can get back fast.

Lion has Sure Footing +5 def
Bear has Tough +10 hp
Viper has Dexterous +5 matk

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 14, 2020

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Lord Bude posted:

It seems to me that there are 4 essential no brainer picks for the retinue - blacksmith, surgeon, drill sergeant, and bounty hunter. The rest of them seem less essential, so pick whichever suits your play style I guess.

Paymaster is a big deal imho.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mazz posted:

Lone Wolf has an easier start and a harder endgame, it's not really a 3 star difficulty once you know the game basics though because as you said that Knight w/ no upkeep can really make the first 20-30 days a lot easier depending on what you run into. I've taken multiple LW games into hundreds of days on expert, more than any other start.

Having only 12 bros max has it's definite shortcomings though, and the extra 4 on field, even lowborn, is a huge advantage later on. You have no ability to field variety in your army by swapping around, which can be problematic for the occasional time having 4-5 high end ranged dudes is a useful thing, etc. Also injuries and the like meaning that bro is super fragile the next few battles.

I modded most scenarios to allow for 27 bros, with 18 in battle. Not that I use that many, but I really like the additional flexibility.

Currently rolling trade maps - with some patience you can get maps which have a port in the South and a port in the North. Spices, silk and incense northward and back with furs.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Donkringel posted:

Is there a way to go into game files and mod the starts? Basically I want any company to max out at 18/27 bros. I have too much fun with human wave tactics.

The game files have been decrypted about 2 years ago and supposedly the devs are cool with it, as long as people don't add DLC stuff.

Nexusmods has what you want, I also cannot play without this mod (although I'm using my home cooked variant), it adds so much more flexibility.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/230

Adam is the guy who made modding possible, this is his site. http://www.adammil.net/blog/v133_Battle_Brothers_mod_kit.html

There's a guide and a complete modding suite plus tools if you want to do your own thing: changing company size or a skill is pretty easy.

Currently they are rolling out small fixes almost daily, so expect your mods to break every day.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 17, 2020

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

dogstile posted:

I'm really not liking the new map gen. So many of the maps i'm going through have barely any ports at all.

Use this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/228

Read the description, download one of the .CSV files and then open in Excel and use filters. There are maps with up to 9 ports. The new version already has 28K seeds to choose from.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Lord Bude posted:

They should add an enemy that is weak to piercing or slashing weapons...

There kinda are. The southern swords have the Gash ability and it really wrecks unarmored Unholds and Nachzehrers, even more so when combined with Crippling Strikes and Executioner.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve become a big ‘wait till it goes on sale’ guy in my old age but battle brothers is one game that I have no problem recommending people buy at full price even if they want to play it. I’ve put in over a thousand hours, I think it’s been a great investment.

Hi5, thousand hours bro. I just got there a few days ago. It's funny that I have so many hours in this game, but still feel far from being a pro at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Lord Bude posted:

New patch landed. 1 balance change:

Fatigue penalty of Handgonnes increased from 12 to 14. Seems inconsequential.

This here is the juicy part:

quote:

Changed Lindwurms to appear in slightly fewer numbers.

I think this is good. I often see Lindwurm groups of 3, before I have enough tanks to control them.