Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Slim Mat posted:

Here's the rest of the gameplay from some sweet wins in the last couple weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajG9w3HiF5M

Leave a comment or whatever.

I really like how you talk about what you're doing and why. It's really frustrating to try and divine intent from silent videos where people just intuitively know what's going on around them all the time when I have no idea how or why they're making the decisions they make, and your discussion of decisions is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

sometimes if i reach a AWM crate first, i'll just take all the ammo and throw it on the ground like 200 feet away.

I did exactly this in a game earlier, I had a silenced UMP and a silenced AKM and no SR suppressor so I had no interest in using the AWM.

Should have won the damned game cause I looted a ghillie suit too, but I got killed by someone I'm pretty sure was hacking, considering they headshot me with the Uzi from like 50m away :rip:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's fair, I probably should have ditched the UMP. I just love silenced poo poo, and silenced SMGs are loving ninja weapons.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hooplah posted:

One shot kill through a level 3 helmet is enormously powerful. You should take the kar98 whenever you get the chance just to practice your bolt action skills

Wait does the AWM instant kill on headshot even with full health and a level 3?

Jesus. What a mistake I made to pass up on that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
different strokes for different folks, for humor

i just think the 'i hope youre younger than me' line is really stupid

grown men and women are allowed to find silly things funny and youre a huge goober if you think they shouldnt be

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:regd08:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

can't even mock nerds on SA anymore

its u

ur the nerd being mocked

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Kind of a dumb question, how do you control recoil at range? I see people like basically snipe at near full auto firing speeds with guns and I have no idea how you do that.

I've gotten pretty good at fighting up close, but anything where I even want a 2x for shooting I can't hit a god damned thing (even with a good scope)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

There also this very popular clip trending on reddit: https://gfycat.com/DefenselessEnviousCoqui

I can barely even tell, knowing where the people are, where they are.

Personally I hate the Winchester, playing pixel hunt is aggravating bullshit.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
New map, it seems really important to get a vehicle early and to stay well ahead of the circle. Going offroad seems like a huge death trap. So far I have died to cliffs 3 of 3 times that I have tried to offroad out of desperation.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

You're describing every shooter ever.

This is a dumb thing to say

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

I'm not even sure what point you were trying to make because every shooter ever is the player trying to aim at a set of pixels on the screen. It is in fact a dumb thing to say.

Pixel hunting has referred to having to click on things like 2-3 pixels wide for a couple decades, the term started in old adventure games like Monkey Island where bad adventure games would make you find and click on objects a couple pixels in size to progress the game. Honestly, my bad if you didn't know the term and thought I was being an idiot, 'pixel hunt' means a specific thing to me and I thought you were just trying to pick a slapfight or some stupid poo poo.

To state it more clearly, my gripe with the Winchester is that I'm approaching 30, my vision already isn't perfect, and I don't like straining my eyes trying to find a head that's maybe 1/32" wide on my screen to try and shoot them in the face with the ironsights on the thing. It's a really neat gun for like 25-30m engagements where I can actually see the person I'm shooting at without needing a scope, but I wish it could equip a like 2x or 4x so I'm not killing my eyes if I try to use it. Having a gun that is long ranged but can't equip scopes is stupid.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 10, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Slim Mat posted:

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Was it the pseudo-commentating at the beginning you found helpful or just general comments throughout all the games? My original intent was to create somewhat compelling videos of whole matches because that's what I enjoy, but after reading your replies I realize that there isn't a whole lot out there on tactical play. You can find tutorials or tips on every aspect of the game, but learning to read the play and make the right moves is less accessible it seems. I think I might try some dedicated clips where I/we live comment on what we are doing and why.

I find watching people play video games is really not my thing and prefer more narrative to my entertainment, which is why I've modeled my clips similar to the way JackFrags does. His videos of full matches are something I enjoy because Battlegrounds is captivating, but also watching him/his team fight is interesting. They are almost like an episode of some tv show. Highlight reels are already done by a lot of other people and dearsomeone has clips sent in from all over, so they are always going to be way better than whatever mediocre stunt I pulled this week.

Let me know if there is anything in particular you would like me to cover in a commentated video and I'll try to play some matches to illustrate it.

In mean time - rockybar and I have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a win together and here are the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfLT0OTGpEs

For me it's mostly just hearing thought processes as you go. It may be kinda weird but I really enjoy it when people doing videos basically just talk to themselves about what they're doing and why.

Agreed on more narrative in gameplay videos - even when it comes to streamers who have a really strong stream presence and persona and stuff, I'd much rather hear them talk about what's going on around them and just hear their basic thought process than what amounts to color commentary.

I can't think of anything in particular to cover, I mostly just like watching good players play and hearing them talk about what they're doing, myself.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I just had someone with a shotgun sprint out in front of me, teleport backwards behind a wall, then kill me through the wall. Lag wizards are very frustrating to fight

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
In the first clip I thought the dude you were shooting at spun and insta headshot you because I didn't even notice his friend calmly step out from behind a tree and take his time to line up a headshot. That was seriously a completely clean and fair kill and you immediately call him a hacker

Kinda throws your credibility under the bus

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 13, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Tactics question:

I have a really bad tendency to spoil good seeming ambushes. A couple games ago I snuck up on a firefight between two people, let one kill the other, and then waited around with a good shot on the body for the dude to come loot. He never did, so I tried to scoot around to get a flank on him and instead got jumped because he saw where I was going and set a good trap. I feel like he knew I was camping the drat body even though I never had line of sight to him the entire time he was actively fighting the other person, I just knew where he was based on his gunfire. Any advice on how to not have this consistently happen? I feel like I never actually get good ambushes, I just get caught in ambushes, despite trying to consistently play corners and look around with freelook in 3PP and check my back constantly in 1PP

I feel like every time I try to emulate good ambush scenarios I see, people just refuse to put their foot in the bear trap. Both tactically and strategically - I'll drop Milbase, get out early, and camp the good bridge exit and see 0 people as blue circle closes, consistently. Just poo poo like that, every time I post up in a spot that's like "okay the plane was there, this is a good path to the new circle and I know there were just a dozen people in South George who will be coming around this mountain to get South" I see gently caress all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
That's a fair point. I've both left early and stayed, and now that I think about it I tend to catch more fish when I stay, if I can afford to. On the new map I hellcamped the bridge North out of the island because I knew it was literally the only available option for the survivors of that area and caught someone coming late because I decided to be stubborn about leaving and waited around and blew some meds to hunker down for a bit.

I'll look into something for recording cause I'd love the feedback. I think my issue in the ambush I was talking about was that I got over eager for the kill and spoiled the surprise when I could have just hung out and waited for a better play. I've never been terribly good at being sneaky in basically anything, video games or IRL.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Won a pair of chicken dinners in squads on Miramar last night.

Honestly I think this map needs another 50-100 people on it. That's my only gripe. It really does feel empty during the mid game. If you survive your initial drop point and get your initial loot you might not see anyone else for two more circles. The bad part is the rubber banding at the beginning of the game was so bad last night I think another 50-100 people would crash the game or make it unplayable so I'm not optimistic for increasing the player limit. But we had games where the first circle would end and there would be like 30 people left. It was horrible. We wouldn't see anyone until the final 10 people.

So yeah, the complaints about the map being waaaay too big are completely valid. This map isn't meant for this kind of player limit.

Otoh, I've had no trouble with finding loot and I love the new tall buildings and the massive construction sites. We had some really amazing firefights yesterday in the big city in those construction sites. The loot is a little more spread out but that's not the worst thing in the world. I've had little trouble finding a decent starting gun before we run into trouble.

I've had a hard time dealing with the new buildings because I can never find anything two story and reasonably enclosed, which is like the only way I can actually survive because I have the situational awareness of a day old kitten.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Travic posted:

I'm interested in getting into this game, but I've been watching dearsomeone's Highlight Reels and stuff like this has me very worried.

The fact that its on a highlight reel suggests its uncommon, but drat that's scary. Do I have a chance to get started in this game or is it to late to catch up to the pros?

tbh not really imo

pubg is by turns fun and excrutiatingly frustrating because I'm not very good at shooters and most of my games end with me getting completely schooled by someone who is much better at clicking heads than me

Like I guess if you go play a ton of CS:GO you can catch up because there's basically a limit to how good someone can be and you can catch up to that, but it's pretty painful and PUBG is really not a good game for getting better at shooters, you want something that involves a lot more... well, honestly, more shooting if you're trying to get really good. That said, a major problem I have translating what skills I have between shooters is that every goddamned game handles slightly differently and I don't have finely tuned enough aim to be able to really zero in where my sensitivity should be beyond "pretty drat low" so all the shooters I play aim slightly differently and I feel like I can never actually hone my poo poo because of it

In the end, play with friends. Whether you're trash or pro, PUBG is a beautiful game when shared with friends. The amount of fun I have playing solo compared duos or squads is incomparable.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 14, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Travic posted:

Ok. I'm pretty drat good at simple shooters (DOOM, Payday 2, Destiny), but not realistic shooters like this and CS:GO. So I may be sunk.

Play with friends and it's fun, win or lose

Not trying to turn you away from the game, but fair warning is appropriate. PUBG is a game with incredibly high highs, but has pretty frequent lows unless you're incredibly good at the game (though, again, playing with friends helps a lot). My first chicken dinner was one of the most amazing moments I've ever had in a video game, but I've also had a lot of frustrating losses.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Despite having no evidence at all, I firmly believe that there is no such thing as matchmaking in this game. It just lumps you in with whoever else clicks play at the same time.

Yeah I kinda agree, I feel if this game had proper matchmaking then I would get put in games with other people who are total potatoes like me

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

To be fair that dude tele-jumped around repeatedly as you were trying to stay on target. Shooting lag wizards is very frustrating.

You should have pulled the trigger sooner though! I have similar problems, I try to wait for the perfect shot instead of just taking a shot the moment I think it's halfway decent, and my slowness kills me a lot. Be confident! :buddy:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Map select, the removal of Mexico map, or 3x as many vehicles in Mexico please

e: nm just delete the new map, this place is awful

Magres fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 24, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Region lock is a terrible idea since I'd like to be able to play with my friends wherever they are, but having a high ping should be a disadvantage, not an advantage.

This is the better answer than region locking. Being laggy should make the game worse to play, not turn you into an invincible teleporting wizard who can shoot around corners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
its a lot more memorable when you die to someone lagging like crazy well after you've ducked a corner than when you die to being bad and biffing shots or letting people sneak up on you

• Locked thread