Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I pretty much watch Sacriel play this, and I get loads of good tips. But I am really bad at this.

It seems easy to get to top 20, top 15, just by avoiding the heavy traffic landing zones, and stealthing to the circle (still don't know where the "sure" vehicle spawns are). But then it seems I never have any armour or enough meds. Great game though - this is the first game of this kind that I have played, and I really enjoy what little I've played of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Also summit wouldn't be so bad if he turned off all the notification noises, but then he wouldn't be banking it. Crazy to see that guy getting $5+ donation every minute.

I watch him when he plays with Sacriel, but I use multistream so I get Summit's point of view (maybe with 3 seconds delay), but I mute Summit and listen to Sacriel, so I hear all of Summit's voice comms, but none of the calling out subs and donors.

https://multistre.am/sacriel/summit1g/

Watching his cam though, you can see that any downtime and he is constantly talking to his chat. Must be draining. It takes a real skill to play the game, keep up a semi-coherent conversation with another streamer, while constantly thanking subs and donors.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 28, 2017

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Daric posted:

I enjoy watching TimTheTatman stream with LETSGOCHAMP cus Tim constantly lies to Champ about how many people he's killed, what he's found, etc. It's hilarious. And neither of them can drive the cars so when they get in squads, the other 2 people they're playing with are constantly subjected to Tim driving off cliffs and getting stuck on rocks.

I was watching from Sacriel's stream when he played with them. He was teaching them how to play, but got so pissed off at champ, he ended up muting him halfway through the game. He later had to unmute him because they were down to the two of them and Champ went rambo-berserko and took out two 4-man squads.

I had one of my better runs where I lucked into finding a boat early, was vaguely lucky with the circle, got some decent gear from novorepno - I was left to loot in peace and got the best gear so far. Was really hoping that the circle would come down to the military base, but it didn't. So I died to the circle while swimming north. Got a rare kill first at least. Still seems most of the time when I die, I don't see the guy at all.

nopantsjack posted:

Why did he name the game after his username?

I guess he is known for his BR work, and wanted to stamp his seal on this one.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why cant i remind crouch to its proper key? (control)

I have it bound. The issue is that every single action needs to be bound to a key. Making ctrl be crouch made the action that was previously bound to ctrl be empty. It doesn't let you save your changes until you fix that.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

willie_dee posted:

In these kind of situations, particularly towards the end, I tended to go prone, it seems like it makes you invisible if your behind a bush or small verge.

People ttend to say that going prone is a poor, Day-Z tactic. but maybe they just mean in a firefight.

This game is weird. I had my best result (top 4) when I was AFK for most of the looting time. I lucked into a good circle position and a car, which helped me get into an even better position. But I had barely any gear and had to run over an open area close to the end of the game. Was downed quite easily by an SKS. Got two kills though (also my best result).

The first kill was strange. A guy in a house totally surprised me, but he was warping and lagging up and down in place, like he was having a seizure, and I managed to put him down with my AK. He had a shotgun, but was otherwise fairly geared. He did actually hit me with the shotgun, but I didn't even realise for a while, because my health bar was actually zero. Never seen it so low.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Man, 15 left, and I'm semi-geared. Have just jogged through two circles taking semi-serious damage, coming up to the edge of the blue circle which is a big forest ridge. See there is an abandoned car just up ahead. Obviously somebody has driven to the edge of the circle and jumped out to move into the circle.

Then I suddenly notice that they guy has not moved deeper into the circle — he is just inside the circle, crouched and peeking a tree, looking totally in the opposite direction to me. I have an SKS and an ACOG, and am probably 20m away, but still in the circle. I ADS at him, but I am still at the outskirts of the circle and the forcefield optics are tricky as hell. I am actually seeing double of the guy. As usual, I panic and just start firing and totally whiff all my shots. The guy turns around and mows me down with an AK.

Story of my life in this game. If I'd have held my nerve and gone forward maybe 8-10m, I would have had an easy kill and then a good overwatch position over the circle.

But I do feel that I am learning after every game, and that's what keeps me coming back.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

creatine posted:

What are good strats for beginning of rounds? Right now I try to land on a road or something and try to get a car to drive away from the flight path, but most of the time I end up forced into small towns to find loot and get destroyed by others.

That's a good strat. Boats are good, too, and there are many on the coast. I'm pretty bad at this (although feel myself getting better constantly), but looting in peace is key. From watching streamers, you can be in the first circle for a pretty long time as long as you have a vehicle scoped out and some meds, you can spend a decent amount of time getting geared up.

I've also had games where I go for a small settlement, but then suddenly notice 2.3 other guys landing at the same place. I just turn and run, looting the odd smaller house, but then manage to kill someone who has done all the looting for me.

Really enjoying this game. Spotted a guy, and usually I would not have engaged, but I needed some gear and he was between me and the circle, so I stalked him a bit. I had a Kar with an ACOG. Wasn't sure where he disappeared to, but was pretty sure he was in a big house up ahead. I moved up on the house, didn't have much cover, and was looking at some cream circle in a window. Was scoped in, looking at it for ages, and then it moved. I had thought it was a helmet, but was not at all sure, and didn't want to announce my presence yet. Then I guess he saw me, because he started shooting at me, but I took his head off with a single shot. Felt so good. This was a lot of words for a little moment that happens to everyone constantly, but I got such a rush from it. This is my first time playing this kind of game.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

what happened to the patch?

https://twitter.com/pubattlegrounds/status/849939281011367939

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks. Does right click in the tab inventory not work reliably, drag is better?

Also is melee at all viable? I've charged dudes with pistols and its never worked, even getting the drop on them.

The "pro" streamers use the dragging method because it skips the bending down and picking up animation, shaving off a few milliseconds.

Melee is only really worth it against another unarmed player. Although I did punch someone to death after they whiffed their shotgun shots up close, but we had been fistfighting a while previously.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think for at least a few seconds? I remember getting killed in the final few people the other day and being..quite cross you'd say? And the other guy responded with "geez man calm down is gg" so I know he at least heard me :goleft:

The other day, someone came around a corner and blew me away. Then he said "NOPE". I laughed my rear end off.

But usually this game makes me swear more than any other game.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This was an intense start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haY5gEMobn0

This was just after I chased the other guy who landed with me away after I grabbed a pistol and proceeded to miss 90% of the shots on him. I think he was the third guy in the video. Also not sure why shadowplay decided to record my mic

Ended up getting 6th with 8 kills

How the hell do you play with music in the background? I have to sit in dead silence. Because it is so tense listening out for footsteps, shots, distance vehicles, etc.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Afkmacro posted some instructions on how to increase your FOV a few pages back.

Pretty sure the method he posted was the one they just closed in the patch.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

jonathan posted:

Last night I landed up on some radio tower station. Got a bunch of sweet guns. Was about to head down the cliff when I saw some guy a couple hundred meters below me how stopped right as I did. I carefully took aim, fired off probably 6 shots and didn't hit him once. gently caress I suck at this game. Then I go to reposition and realized it was my own shadow.

It must be this place, yeah? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC4yN1YoV5c&t=706s (about 11:45)

I've always heard that fresh helmet/armour always beats a smashed up one.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

Anybody had issues/got a fix for mic usage? I've checked that my mic is default device, bound push-to-talk to N and checked that I'm broadcasting to the right channel but push-to-talk does nothing. Also I have checked that my voice chat is not muted. I can't see any other options in the game to set up or test mic.

Any thoughts? I just want to be able to solo queue into a squad game and talk to my team mates.

Have you tested that it is not working with friends? There is no visual notification that you are broadcasting. And random pubbies might have voice chat muted.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just how poorly optimized is this game? i7 2600k, HD 7950, 8GB RAM (yes it's time to upgrade, I know). Should I even attempt it, or no?

You have that sucker overclocked? I have the same CPU running at 4.4GHz. Paired with a 970 + 16GB RAM, I get pretty decent performance (1080p: 50-70fps) on medium/high (apart from the same frame drops in places that people with octacores and 1080tis get).

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I can imagine there being fewer hackers than normal just because there is no audience. You switch servers pretty much every round, you can't see a list of players on the server, there is no global chat for people to haccusate or in any other way give you the attention you sorely need. There isn't even a kill cam. The closest you can get is someone poo poo talking you over local VoIP, if they are close enough and if you haven't disabled VoIP.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Raged posted:

I poo poo you not. Most people who use cheat programs actually think they are good.

Which is why it is funny to watch videos of hackers getting dunked on.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

afkmacro posted:

I was at half health and I couldn't use any healing items, it just wouldn't loving work

I think dropping your weapons might fix that bug.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

WARNING: boring clips ahead!

Man, this game gets my heart racing even when it is an "easy" kill where I am holed up in a house.

A simple kill like this and I can barely breathe:
https://streamable.com/aimos

Or then I gently caress it up, like here (same house):
https://streamable.com/xg9r4
I had two ARs, but I default to my Battlefield mousewheel binds and pull out the loving pan. Wish I could just disable mouse wheel weapon switching.

Yet another fuckup. How did I not hear where that guy went? I can hear it now, of course.
https://streamable.com/lcb3c

I am terribad at this game, but I love clipping my kills and deaths, to try and work out how I hosed up. It still doesn't really help when I get taken out with zero warning though.
Some Goon tuition is required!

In this clip, I spin around, and it totally messes up my trying to figure out where the shot came from. RIP level 3 helmet. Then I panic prone. What do you think, from the NE?
https://streamable.com/5i9qq

Here is a very embarrassing clip. It felt like I was well in the house so I thought the guy was already in the house (hence the panic spraying). How do you play this one out? Do you not even go in the house? this was in Venice, and I don't know the area well at all.
https://streamable.com/ordnq

Can anybody spot the guy at the SE? Maybe behind a rock? I guess it doesn't matter cos this silenced (??) Vector just shreds me.
https://streamable.com/2u2r9

Is this just a no-win situation? Wide open field for the circle. I don't even know how many people light me up, and I feel embarrassed that I did not even see anybody. Do not know where anybody was.
https://streamable.com/qvc9h

Bonus question:
Where exactly do I aim with an ACOG? With this headshot kill, it looks like I am shooting low. I have the default 100m zeroing - are the Eastern apartment blocks 100m away from the school?
https://streamable.com/c66cr

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Safetyland posted:

Felt like hot poo poo here for a minute. Died a couple of minutes after to a grenade - in the middle of a drat field. Closest I got to winning, at #3. I was shaking and had to practice breathing just to hold the mouse still.

https://streamable.com/m7m0y

Nice man. In a field, surrounded by others? I would definitely whiff every shot and blow myself up with that nade. Nah, I would not even remember I have a grenade and be too scared to go into my inventory to equip it anyway.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

An alternative which might be more balanced is to have a 'spasms' effect that really impairs your aim.

When you are outside the circle but close still, there is a shimmer effect that makes you see in triple. They should at least increase that effect.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Safetyland posted:

Twice in a row tonight I have driven to the rear end-end of the beginning circle on a bike just to get one shotted by somebody before or right after I bail. They don't even come to loot.

Hacks?

It's pretty easy to shoot someone off a bike, I think.

Unrelated video: Karma.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Bardeh posted:

People team up in solo because they're cheating shitlords, not because of the cosmetic points.

This. I believe PU is really hot on teamers — was there some automatic detection in earlier BR games? I'm pretty sure there will be a system in place where it detects if you are in proximity to another player all match without shooting each other or something. But then I guess teamers will give each other little love taps now and then.

EDIT: But something like this is not necessarily teaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNydZuH04kY

I have grabbed a car with another unarmed dude, and he dropped me off at another car.

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 23, 2017

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Just got my first chicken dinner (in any mode) playing duos with a good buddy. We had a terrible start, holed up in Rozhok with a shotgun and an AR while WWIII was going on outside. By the time we headed West for the next circle, we had ARs, but under 20 rounds each. We got lucky coming across dead players though, and ended up with ACOGs and 5 kills each at the final circle which was centred on a small compound just East of Geogorpol. We were out in the open, but the guys in the compound had to leave it because of the circle. Still buzzing from the rush. :)

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

It's my understanding that to get the best distance when doing a long jump, you should deploy as soon as you can, then pump W so that your descending speed is 45-50km/h. Then you can go about 2km (2 of the big yellow squares). A good tactic to get away from the mobs.

Huh, that's that vidya games commentator - think she was involved in the BF1 launch events. Funny to see her being unprofessional and swearing.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

From what I recall, PU has ruled out night maps, and is keen on a snow map. Imagine the meta from looking for snow camo.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'd just like it if the descriptions for clothing actually matched what they are. A bunch of the jacket options are blaringly white.

Case in point:
https://streamable.com/18gxs

You're just ahead of the curve, man. Winter is coming.

Good job on your chicken dinner clip BTW (was phone posting when I watched it).

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Remember that smoke is not rendered at longer ranges. There are videos out there with gross examples.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

animatorZed posted:

It does match based on skill, at least in some way. Watch some of the streamers that win more often. Their lobbies often take several minutes to fill up compared to seconds, and games sometimes don't even get to 80-90 players before the match starts. Difference in play/coordination is also noticeable, as well as them coming across the same people repeatedly.

Yep, the main streamers that I watch just bought new accounts today because they are too high ranked and were struggling to fill servers with people ranked high enough. Not to mention that they would run up against the same players over and over again, meaning that stream sniping started to become a real issue.

real_scud posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/139344444 - Only the final couple minutes including my extremely lucky kill that starts off the recording.

Nice job, dude. although I bet you were kicking yourself when you opened up on that last guy the first time. I know I would have. That's the kind of thing that gets me killed so much.

jonathan posted:

So is calling someone a fucboi a way for people to call someone a fag without worrying about being criticized for anti-gay remarks ?

I didn't think it was a gay slur? A "gently caress boy" is just a male "whore" as far as I knew. Someone who gets lucky a lot.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Dr DisRespect is good in small doses.

Motorbikes are deathtraps, yo. This was just now in back-to-back games.

I had made a mental note of this motorbike already as I was planning on using it.
https://streamable.com/1yzg0
The game just before this was so crazy laggy (EU). I would never have made those shots on that server.

Still don't fully understand what happened with this one...
https://streamable.com/u2hcl

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Orv posted:

Since what I'm assuming is the last patch, I'm getting crazy FPS drops when moving around, anyone have a similar problem and a fix, or is it just this patch being terrible? Game ran completely fine before.

For me, it really varies from server to server, so I think it the server performance has a real impact on FPS, not just lagginess when picking items up.

JohnClark posted:

Illusive and I dropped into Mylta Power, he got killed straight away but I managed to escape

If there's nobody around for me to Rambo charge at, I would usually just requeue if me or my friend died early enough.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Ostentatious posted:

I believe running without shoes is still quieter than boots

A dev confirmed that decibel wise, they are exactly the same. But I reckon the higher pitched sound of barefoot is harder to distinguish from the obvious clomp clomp.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Custom game with subs going on right now.

A handful of survivors vs "zombies" = rest of the server in their underwear, only allowed stims, bandages, and melee weapons. 25 people running at the group is hilarious. Forced first person.

https://multistre.am/sacriel/break/stodeh/layout6/

LampkinsMateSteve fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 7, 2017

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

jubjub64 posted:

Sacriel is currently doing a zombie apocalypse custom game and it is pretty fun to watch.

Seriously, this is hilarious. https://multistre.am/sacriel/break/stodeh/layout6/

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Xachariah posted:

In duos and squads you can also get team mates crashing and best option is usually to punch them if you don't have a lot of ammo and want their stuff.

If an enemy guy is downed, and you are in a safe spot, you can be silent and conserve ammo by punching them to death.

They don't like it though; last guy I did this to started spamming the n word at me over local voice. Then he crawled off the edge of the apartment building to fall to his death. I had a good chuckle over that.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

it's because he doesnt care and also because it provides a level of entertainment because he's a 1980's A-team caricature with an anger problem who is not nearly as good at his job as he claims to be

Plus YOU try playing with sunglasses on.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Krazuel posted:

Saw this on reddit, so dirty.

If it really does trap them, I'm such a sadist, I would have shot the tyres out and left on foot. After telling them my plans over local VoIP.

I had a very gentleman-like conversation with a guy I had downed just before I executed him with a shotgun from a foot away. Most civilised.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

But I'm poor :(

Sorry to say, but probably an SSD would help a lot with loading in the map. But they are pretty cheap these days...

Please tell me that there was no way out of this, and that it's not just that my jumping skills are trash. :(
https://streamable.com/b8gdh

I had decent loot as well.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Studio posted:

I'm not sure if it's the patch, me, or if the servers have had more lag lately.

Had a laggy EU server last night.

This was full auto. Totally put me off as I suddenly thought I had a gun with burst mode on. The ammo counter is funky, too.

https://streamable.com/rvm9q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

Enallyniv posted:

I've heard good things about the 2600k's OC potential but I'm running stock cooling (and am cautious about temperature/noise) and honestly don't think I've ever run into anything that taxes it that badly. Can't say I've ever regretted the investment in this build.

I have decent cooling on my 2600k, and definitely saw decent gains in gaming when I finally got round to raising my OC to 4.3GHz.

But yeah, I have the game on a non-OS SSD and I think that helps a lot.

• Locked thread