Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I found it difficult to return to the main game after Mooncrash. Knowing exactly where everything was and what was coming felt less exciting after the randomness of Mooncrash. I guess my advice is to do the new game run first and then do Mooncrash last, unless you think you'll burn out after the second run in which case just go ahead and play Mooncrash now.

Your memory may vary, but I started a prey through Prey a few months after I beat it the first time, with someone else. I had already forgotten where things were and wasn't much help beyond pointing out how to figure out where to go the in-game ways. I was playing through some of the early stuff with a buddy last weekend since he had been stuck since last time I bugged him about if he'd played it yet. When I took controls I had a pretty good sense of some of the areas, like I could get to Morgan's office real easy and stuff like that, but it's not like I could route him through a speedrun based on memory.

Maybe if I'd played two play-throughs back-to-back, but with time and Mooncrash in between I think I could play a new game through with half-new eyes.

Mooncrash also isn't immune from learning the map, through repetition I knew Mooncrash's map better than the main games. The location of most stuff changes and routes can be blocked, but after a while you really get the hang of getting around. You'll learn where some of the static drops are, where "good" containers for stuff are. Blocked routes eventually start to feel relatively trivial, either through a strong loadout, sensible route, or just spending time on your first life doing the basic "open areas" tasks. Not to mention you can also cheat a little by dropping all your crap for the next life to pick up.

LifeLynx posted:

I spoiled the ending for myself when I played for an hour and was sure I wasn't going to like the game. Then I gave it another chance, thankfully. If I hadn't spoiled the ending I would have figured there was a twist. In the first hour I read part one of The Evacuation and thought the twist was going to be that Earth was already overrun by Typhon and Yu's memories got messed with trying to find a way to integrate Typhon DNA with humans so the remnants of humanity aboard Talos I would be able to "ascend" and survive in space. Turns out not only was I wrong, but The Evacuation is seemingly really about a (terrorist-caused?) accident involving Recycler technology on a bigger-than-Chernoybl scale.

I went unspoiled and the twist was unexpected for me. I kept thinking that the whole thing was just still the same simulation. I was chucking crap at windows and stuff trying to break into "space," which I assumed was full of assholes doing tests on me. When I first got into space, I started to suspect maybe I was wrong and it was more along the lines of me being brain-hosed and seeing people as monsters or whatever. Then for a while I was thinking maybe I was someone else all along, some kind of identity-amnesia-confusion, perhaps I was secretly Alex somehow

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm gradually coming to terms with how many safes I can't open by realizing how many places I can get into really early on by turning myself into a coffee mug.

I've actually never used a Typhon mod, I was excited when I was playing through someone else calling the shots, they were going to use Typhon mods it seemed but we never really got very far before it stopped. I need to go back and try it, I've had a small taste from Mooncrash since some characters already had em I didn't have to make a choice.

Mike the TV posted:

Speaking of stealth, it's one of the least utilized aspects of the game.

I wasted so much time being stealthy, at some point I convinced myself that maybe it was like a thing where it's outright bad to kill them and it'll come back to haunt me later, or a spooky MGS3 and have the typhons I killed come back to haunt me in a river. I started engaging more when I realized rooms were ramping up with difficulty in enemies regardless of whether I killed em or not. Plus the mimics generally felt unavoidable, like, 2spooky2ignore. "What do you see... the shape in the glass?" is burned into my head from hearing it so often just lurking around patrolling phantoms.

Rinkles posted:

not sure what the exact formula is, but mankind divided gives you some xp for unlocking things with a found code/password

(it's not without issues, but MD's Prague is phenomenal. it at times gave me that Prey feeling of slowly taking apart this massive, detailed, freely explorable space. and almost all of it is optional.)

Been playing MD recently and it's a lot better than I expected. It definitely has some boneheaded moments and a weird structure, but it's definitely one of the more detailed and explorable hubs in these games. It also has the shortest power curve I've ever experienced in an immersive sim. Basically as soon as you get the option to choose your build, you basically have all the tools you need to get in anywhere and pass even fairly difficult checks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I spent the same amount of time before going on to the very urgent required quest where he asks you to come in to work in the morning. I had basically explored everywhere possible before even slightly moving on, which ironically cut me out of a big bit of game because I took out a mob boss early without even talking to them.

I didn't find MD's hacking complex, it mostly feels random, just rolling the dice on each node and spamming every possible node and fortifying when you finally get a bad roll. Then again, sometimes some hacks clearly had more thought put into them and were like a little puzzle, but you do have a point with it being a little too-involved for something you might do several times each time you poke your head into a new interior space.

Also, hacking sometimes was a letdown because you'd unlock a computer with nothing on it, not even an email.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think accent perception is really a personal thing. "New Yorker"/"Bostonite" are my default "dumb" accents when I hear 'em. Or like many people see British accents as inherently smart, but I think I've watched too many British comedies because I tend to think of them as a bit dense, particularly using the babytalk slang they have for so many things. Either way, it's clearly a bad metric to judge anyone by.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phigs posted:

Okay, so the mooncrash timer is not oppressive but it's also not good. They should have just added triggers for higher corruption in the game instead. Each section you visit and each escape ups the corruption for instance. As it is now I largely ignore the timer itself, but the presence of a timer makes me rush more than I'd like. Moon shark can also eat a dick. It's balanced to the point that it's not really worth fighting normally so I used to just sprint through the crater and emp the typhon gates and now I just start every game with some tentacle grenades so I can insta-kill that idiot. I kinda like it now, prepping for enemies brings back some nethack feelings, but I think you run into it too early so you develop a hatred for it before you figure out your options. It needed to be deeper into a run.

I just gained access to the security officer's story so I can unlock the janitor. I'm enjoying it but it's also disappointing. It's a really good proof of concept and makes me want something else like it, but between the Prey combat and some bad balancing decisions I'm not completely sold on this specific iteration.

I know how you feel about the moon shark, I think finding a solution to it is one early milestone that kind of defines the game, for better or worse. I experimented with Typhon lures and the super tentacle grenade, but by the end of my runs I was most comfortable just buying the super jetpack propulsion thingy. My routine became to just chuck a rock or whatever to distract it and then jet-sprint to the middle tower with a pre-bought power server blade or whatever. I really loved Mooncrash, but it's definitely part of the conceit to have to metagame a little bit. Cool that it's there and how it works, but at the same time, it deal feel a bit cheap. I'm not good at self-imposing challenges so I tend to expand to whatever broken stuff a game allows you to do. Once you can buy the hourglasses, the game especially starts becoming trivial. I started letting it get to level 2 or 3 simply because I got tired of how rapidly the level 1 noise and glitch effect began after chugging an hourglass.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Time limits freak people the gently caress out. Majora's Mask is a global treasure but when it released people just couldn't get over the time mechanic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That goofy doodle doesn't inspire confidence but everything else does, I'd be very interested in seeing the ol immersive sim fro ma new perspective. Especially so I can stop getting into dumbass fights on reddit over whether Prey and the like are Immersive Sims or FPS. (secret: there are no good arguments for calling it an FPS besides being some sort of dipshit who just hates the term Immersive Sim)

Serephina posted:

One thing many players do is go for some dumb achievement such as 'human skills only', or 'be the perfect goodie two-shoes' for their first playthrough. Don't do that, it just slows the game down and makes things tedious. You can do a gimmick run later.

Naw, this is bad advice. I think you should play how feels natural to you and not sweat it. The "gimmicks" you mentioned aren't gimmicks. "No neuromods" is a gimmick that should be reserved, but choosing to not use the alien injections is really obviously telegraphed by the game as a Thing and a personal Choice you're making. Being the perfect goody two shoes is also natural behaviour for a lot of players and it's not exactly some extreme requirement in this game. You would kind of need to go out of your way to be evil in the game. I'm imaging your first run as you just running through gunning everything down rambo style and injesting any and everything in your path lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Having such an open-world available really ruins the pacing of the game, not to mention the power progression of the player. You can lug over and sell random guns to vendors! This is bad! So by the time most of the player base gets off their arse and does the first mission, they've probably got 50% of the availablexp in the entire game, and a several fully kitted out guns. Oops. Compare this to MD, which has the retroactively-funny moment where after yelling at the player for 15 minutes to show up, hostages die (oops). It's good world-building in a different way.

And then there's the whole monstrosity of the praxis/xp system combined and how it affects poo poo like QoL 'upgrades' vs actual cool gameplay augs. Ugh. Worth playing through if you get it on a sale imo?

What's funny is that avoiding that first mission for like a week, the guy is still all "hey come in to work, you're late and this is a real pressing issue mister!!" I seriously went into every space, unlocked everything in sight, stole everything not glued to the geometry. Their pressing deadlines are happy to wait on the PC. I'm pretty sure it would've been the same exchange if I had ran straight there, maybe -1 conversation where he's like "hurry up maybe." Worst part is, you can very easily cut yourself out of a huge chunk of gameplay and an entire area of the map by exploring early and with no warning of consequence. It's also weird if you use your TV to call someone, you've got no real reason to chat initially but later on they actually need you to talk to him and it feels out of order because you've already breached some of the conversation.

OzFactor posted:

I haven't gotten around to D2 yet but D1 is really excellent and is in no way outdated or anything. You should know that it's not nearly as open as SS/Prey but you do still have a lot of options for approaching every situation.

Mooncrashchat: I'm having trouble telling what's persistent between runs. My understanding is that the world state stays the same until I reset the sim, so the idea is that I'm supposed to go through with one character and open doors and leave items and such for the next character, but I feel like there are some things that seem to stay between resets. For example, I've never had to open the first Typhon gate out of the Crater again because it no longer has power, and I'm not sure what did that or why it is stuck that way now. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just confused. Do I remember passwords between resets? i.e. now that I've unlocked Riley, do I have the password to her computer for everyone all the time?

I think that first gate is just part of the initial tutorial first run. AFAIK it never comes back on, and whether there are just mimics, phantoms, or good items in that starting area just becomes random per reset. AFAIK the other permanent changes that are to come are more like difficulty modifier to keep it from getting too easy and stale, and those are explicitly mentioned as you progress. Passwords aren't remembered and I don't think even Riley by default know's the password for Riley's stuff, it's random.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 13, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If I have a criticism of dishonoured it's that the game encourages you not to kill people but also a bunch of the content is centered around killing people.

Which is a problem with a lot of games, Deus Ex being another notable example.

It's something I think Prey does much better by having essentially the same choice, but only for specific enemies and giving you alternative solutions to getting past them.

I bought Prey for my buddy, just because it's an amazing game, not that he is predisposed at all to the genre. He played a bit by himself, then forgot what he was doing or going and why. We were hanging out and I got him to play and it was interesting watching someone with suc ha different approach to the game. His instincts never involved sneaking or avoiding fights, he saw them all as things to be shot down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Why on earth would you go nonlethal for the entire game? Other than Paul's insistence that UNATCO act more like police than soldiers [man... that's aged], the game clearly expects players to use lethal options frequently, with it's morality left up to players.

I think there's only a handful of videogame NPCs in history I would murder by choice. Most killings I do in videogames are because they game essentially makes you and doesn't give you a nonlethal option. I mean poo poo, I loved Mario 2 as a kid because you didn't have to brutally crush your enemies, you'd just kind of toss them around or you could even just stand on them without crushing. Most times they never needed to be killed, basically just Birdos and Bosses.

Morally it's wrong to kill people, either you're moral and don't kill things or you aren't and do. Don't @ me with circumstances you think it's okay to do killing. It's 100% in all contexts and circumstances rude as hell to kill anyone or anything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Take every mod, kill everything, craft everything, go everywhere, become a lunatic demigod.

After you finish the game, start over and do a no neuromods run.

So, I was just about to ask how you monsters found it in yourself to do typhon neuromods when

Serephina posted:

But the point being is that the entire game's set up like that; it's about having all these cool murder toys that you're only able to use on civilians. Contrast with how other games like Prey do it; there is no moral quandary about shooting gribbly aliens. In fact, they explicitly have no sense of empathy, it's murder-free-meat!!

kind of answered it for me. I never saw them as just fodder, I was over halfway through the game before I gave up my theory that the aliens were some kind of sci-fi-hosed echoes of people from the space station. If it weren't for mimics that jump right at my face and trigger a reflex attack, I would have naturally assumed there was a no-kill option available to me and taken it. I wouldn't call "no-typhon" runs a gimmick or shy anyway away from it if it's their inclination, it's a perfectly natural way to play. If you don't get a moral hesitation, there's no reason to force yourself down that path, but like, the game does acknowledge and accommodate you if your moral gut instinct is to not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

That "theory" is actually correct, by the way.

Specifically phantoms are literally the reanimated corpses of humans, the weavers do some hosed up poo poo to them and turn them into typhon, but the whole point of the game is that the merging of typhon and human minds and physiology is possible and with varying degrees of the human mind surviving the process. The typhon are... not entirely humanlike, the whole "mirror neurons" thing, so the degree of their sapience and individuality with regards to their strange ecology and relationship to the apex typhon is debatable, but the humans the phantoms are created from are, were, still human, in some respects. You are re-killing an element of a human mind when you kill them, that's why they speak. That they all say the same things I'm not sure if it's a production limitation, or an artefact of the typhon interconnected consciousness. Whether that bothers you is up to you.

It could also be they all say the same things because they also aren't real, they're just simulation.

Serephina posted:

Steam's is insane in a few ways. But it also has a shitton of native linux support stuff, including their own automagical roll of WINE. They'd basically have to go around murdering Koala bears or worse for me to consider ditching them.

I still feel it's 200% ethical to be murdering Typhon phantoms. As someone above said, it's just like the ethics of killing a zombie - there's no moral quandary at all. They even have a scene in cargo bay B where a few NPCs survivors witness it and discuss, saying "if that ever happens to me, just shoot". It's very clear that you're totally ok to be killing Typhon, the phantom whisperings are just there to make things creepy.

I've never been one to dismiss the quandary of shooting zombies even though most zombie creators bend over backwards to make it this big evil deal nobody could support. Even then, gently caress that, I'm pro-zombie, I'm joining their team, I'm fighting for our rights. Oh people can kill plants and animals all day to eat but you kill one hundred thousand meatmen just for their delicious brains and its all over for social justice apparently.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know why but something about that article made me want to spitefully play this game while steadfastly refusing to murder anyone and impose my own personal "fake morality" system.

I get why they're doing it, and the setting/concept does sound interesting, but there's also something here that makes me want to say "gently caress you" to the devs, give em the finger while waltzing through loops without doing any murders.

I picked up an old Preythrough recently and have been exploring with taking alien powers and killing everyone. Alien powers, kind of cool, make a lot of stuff very easy. Mimicking a small object to sneak in through broken doors and such is the best, honestly there's a whole game hidden in this concept of becoming objects and rolling them around. Game also go by a lot faster when you just charge directly into enemies instead of trying to sneak and avoid killing them. On the other hand, I also had to fabricate ammo at one point.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

I enjoyed the gameplay loop in the dozen or so attempts that it lasted, but I was definitely content to be done with it when it was over. I've seen some people complain online about your progress resetting to zero once you've finished all the KASMA objectives, but I just don't feel like the game stays endlessly replayable once you've maxed out your characters and learned the ins and outs of the maps, even with the random environmental variables added near the end. Still, overall a great game and Arkane can inject Deathloop directly into my orbital socket next.

I really liked it and loved that it ended and that the ending was interesting. Though it was a good length and I'm glad they didn't go and try and make it procedural. I felt like the length gave me enough time to learn the station like the back of my hand, but not get sick of it. Those thingies to give you extra time in each run were so common, and I could go into missions taking a few, that it was easy to park at level or level 3 and just dose an hourglass when it got close. Engineer definitely OP and weasel psychic man sucks.

beats for junkies posted:

It's Arkane, so there might be some sort of nonlethal option, but I'm willing to bet that if it exists, it'll be similar to Dishonored, where not killing your targets was less merciful than if you'd just stabbed them in the face. I don't know how they'd manage to do something like that for Deathloop, but there are probably a few things they're holding back about the game.

As for your second point: https://store.steampowered.com/app/741820/Prey_Typhon_Hunter/ exists already, just in case that wasn't :thejoke: (it's also included with Mooncrash). It's probably not quite what you meant, but it might be!

I actually didn't know much about Typhon Hunter besides that it was multiplayer. Multiplayer + FPS generally equals a bad time so I just avoided it entirely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Competitive Online Multiplayer FPS is just a very different thing than playing a videogame. Sometimes you can argue "even losing is fun" about certain things, but in a competition where there's a winner and a loser, it feels better to win. My original comment was provocatively-vague, but I think any game with a direct PvP component is going to generate at least some amount of "bad times" for someone at some point. Sometimes by the nature of the game the cost of a good time comes directly from someone else ending up with a bad one. You can be horrible at a single-player videogame, cant-beat-the-tutorial bad, but you're technically never a loser. It's just a program, you can't lose to it, you just call it stupid and bad and move on. Competitive FPS churns out losers every match!

I don't think I would earnestly argue this, it's a literal toilet thought I just wanted to take for a spin-- if I were to argue there's a time when videogames are not art, it would be when they are competitions/sports, for a lack of a better vocabulary. Using videogame rules as a vector to compete with other people has a very different mindset and feeling than just playing a game by yourself for the gently caress of it. Competitive FPS also tests a lot of different skills, reflexes, and mechanical knowledge in a way it doesn't if it has a SP component. It can be really thrilling and adrenaline-pumping, but it can also be very frustrating and stressful. Satan help you if the game has a chat or voicechat component.

moot the hopple posted:

To be fair, the multiplayer Typhon Hunter is just a version of the Team Fortress prop hunt game mode that's more akin to hide and seek rather than death match. You can play aggressively to take down the hunter but hiding and running out the clock is also a legit method.

This sounds like it would be a cool party mode to a lot of different games, but I've also been demanding to play as a raptor in every MP FPS since I played Turok 2.

P.S. Bring back the level H2Whoa. I can't think of any games since then to play with self-containing vertical water rooms or level design.

edit: Wow, there's a recent re-release of Turok 2 on PC but no videos of this level explicitly yet. There's got to be at least 3 minutes of videogame video essay to be wrung from that level.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm curious what the survival options are, I just don't remember seeing them at all. Is it just stuff to make you eat/drink often? I did that anyway to min-max my food regen thingy. Every 30 seconds or whatever just open that quick change menu to pop a food

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Really torn on Death Loop. Shooting people sucks, I'm not a monster. AFAIK there's no monsters to shoot and there's no way to don't shoot the people, the whole point seems to be "definitely shoot the people and do it in a crazy way." However all of their game's have been pretty drat good so far, Prey and Mooncrash are both "still talk about 10 years later" games.

They really not gonna throw us a non-lethal button and a super-wrench?

Alternatively I would accept a way to kill all targets in such a way as to avoid any direct responsibility, there's no crime in knocking over a domino that ends up being in a rube goldberg contraption where someone accidentally drops a piano on someone's head

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it's legs are probably long enough, but these days seems a given for AAA releases to eventually get some kind of update or extra content. There's a lot of unanswered questions a lot of people kind of assumed would be answered in the end, but were just completely ignored. Might be room for DLC to look into that stuff eventually, but for now I got an enjoyable 33 hours out of it. For me where it got "too easy" was when I was still playing it like prey/dishonoured/deus-ex/system shock 2. Very slowly, thoroughly, sneakily, and carefully. You can easily kill all guards in a level without getting caught, you can even pick fights and go in guns blazing and clear em out pretty easily. I think where the challenge for me was in un-training my crabcrawl sneakemup style, and then learning when it's cool to be seen a little, when it's best to just quickly kill a little group, when to sneak, when to blinkdash. There's no incentive to be solid snake or for getting seen and you learn the limitations of the AI well enough to be able to turn them just into more level geometry obstacles essentially. It's at it's best once you're familiar with a level and can just sprint and dash your way exactly to where you need to go and how everything will react when you do it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Phigs posted:

Yeah IMO this kind of thing is very dumb. I didn't use any typhon mods in my one playthrough of Prey because they made that a thing. So I skipped a big part of the game because they made an explicit typhon/non-typhon dichotomy. Just like I didn't kill anyone in my first Dishonored play and never played with any of the lethal toys because they made low/high chaos dichotomy. I don't see what it adds to the games that they keep going for it. All it does to me is make me play with less of the toys they put into the game and presumably have less fun than I would have otherwise.

so you would never choose to not be a murder-man just out of your own feelings towards killin folks? maybe there should be a god and heaven if that's totally necessary for some mindsets

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

More ending spoilers
I like how it's ambiguous if the bots are computerized versions of the old crew or if they're radio relays, did a great job working for either a save/kill playthrough

...what makes it ambiguous to you? When are those bots ever shown to be a relay, your main interaction with them is literally with the one's that are uploads of yourself, keying you into these bots containing an uploaded version of the person. The only leeway I'm seeing, is that off the top I couldn't prove that anything in that room or even Alex himself isn't a "radio relay" but there's nothing in the game to ever make us think of "radio relays." Seems like the sort of ambiguity where maybe there was an invisible pink unicorn in the room puppeting the bots and Alex with psychic marionette strings, how could you prove there wasn't?

SCheeseman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ueNkRUUDFk
If anyone wanted another reason to play it.

Do the other language options also localize the creepy stuff phantoms mumble?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

aniviron posted:

I like moonsharks. I find them very satisfying to kill.

I also enjoyed the "floor is lava" type gameplay they enabled if you just wanted to avoid em.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

I'm 100% on board with leaving caches. Maybe not the cheaty-operator.

I kinda suspect that the game was designed or intended around not having any grindy/purchasable progression, where you complete each run stark naked with all neuromods unlocked and try to make it work from there - leaving stuff like the jetpack behind to those who need it most. Probably very honorable, and maybe got fudged a bit halfway through development as they found it too steep of a hill to climb without being able to gift yourself some pistol ammo and such.

All speculation of course, but it's an excellent take on the popular-at-the-time faux-roguelike fad and I'm glad Mooncrash exists.

I want to play or there to be a more hardcore mode without the buying yourself stuff, I'm constitutionally incapable of not using advantages available to me, need the game to dangle them out of reach.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I like a lot about Deathloop but wish it was closer to Mooncrash in a lot of ways. It was disappointing how much of Deathloop's solutions end up being as ordained, whereas Mooncrash allowed a lot of inventiveness

It was a lil insulting how they just made a fairly easy puzzle mystery to piece together... but then also denied you the chance to piece anything together, the game tells you in exposition and mission logs exactly what to do, when, and why, like, that'd be great "help me" option for people who somehow got to the end without learning anything, but for anyone else playing it's just a weird way to suck the wind out of its own sails. The game also would've been better as you said if you could achieve the "winning" circumstances through more than one combination of events, especially since one of your timeslots in a final run feels kind of wasted on one specific thing killing egon or whatever the scientist sniper guy was. The existence of that mission always made it feel a bit filler and like there was wiggle room for events to be reshuffled to similar ends.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The intentions of Thief and Dishonored are just on opposite spectrums. If you're seen in Thief, it's because you're loving up and you'll probably start over/die. Dishonoured you're free to be seen, not being seen is just an aesthetic or gameplay preference but the game fully facilitates you using whatever tools as sloppily or elegantly as you decide.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
As much as I enjoyed JC Denton and the rest of the Deus Ex story so far, I wouldn't mind if they started over to some extent, if/when they revisit the IP. Just help update and realign thing to current concerns and outlooks rather than adapting it to fit with in a timeline and precedent of stuff established with no-longer-contemporary outlooks or perspectives. Reality has really outpaced a lot of conspiracy and political fiction of the past and there's a lot of new Deus Exy stuff to play with. Then again I guess you could roughly do the same thing just setting another later sequel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Teledahn posted:

I still can't believe that when Deathloop's lead designer (in Arkane Lyon) heard that Prey: Mooncrash (from Arkane Austin) was also 'A time loop game' he REFUSED TO LOOK AT OR PLAY IT because he didn't want to inadvertently copy them or be influenced by their work.

And so we have the disappointment that is Deathloop's design. Wilfully avoiding opportunities to learn from someone else's mistakes is just insane.

That's so mind-boggling to me, and I absolutely avoid reading stuff that's too "similar" to the poo poo I'm already making because I don't want to incidentally take from them or box myself in avoiding things I consider "off limits" knowing the other thing did it, but that's personal work that nobody is asking for or paying for in any way. I don't avoid looking at my coworkers' works and past designs at work, (and often the designs of whoever the client sent us wanting us to make something not entirely unlike it) it's important to check what has worked and what doesn't, know what elements client wants repeated and what needs to be anything but that. In the context of something much more complex and collaborative like a videogame, from the same publisher and company, just not even trying to learn from what's been learned is just bad sense and direction.

Explains a lot about Deathloop, basically all the parts for a great game with just a little, like, round two for additional feedback before a final proof to publish, which they had available and ignored.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Deathloop really helped me finally break my crabwalking ways and use the tools available to me to get the mission done as efficiently and quickly as possible without acting like I'm gonna get an MGS5 rank after each mission. But Mooncrash really drilled the pilot hole for it, I never much runned or gunned by by the end of Mooncrash my areas navigation was more aggressive.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Also being able to save/reload really changes the dynamic for something like the chef. You can know it's a trap and walk into it anyway to see what will happen (DE:HR putting the consequence of getting the chip upgrade far down the road helps with this) because you you know you can just reload if you die.

Maybe if you have no honour, but I do and I delete my saves after a death.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

It's more about empathy than morality. For the Typhon you play as to fail means it played the sim as if it were a psychopath, which is also what the person playing (you) did, to which the game asks "why did you do that?".

Because it's a simulation and it doesn't matter? Probably what the Typhon thought too. Your choices matter to the story in that there is a failure state and expressing signs of empathy in your decision making and saying yes at the end is implied to save humanity. Does the problem stem from the simulation you exist in within the story not being "real", in which case do you need to be reminded you are playing a video game? This theme is echoed in the facade opening of the game too.

Prey's story is great stuff.

I guess there might be something in the difference between a person who still feels bad doing bad things in a videogame even if the videogame itself is a sim of another fake reality, and players who don't feel bad at all and can enjoy being an imagined psychopath without self-consequences.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really really expected Phantoms, if not all the monsters, to be the ghost or energy or reflection or whatever the gently caress version of the missing/dead people aboard. I actually avoided killing any of them for a long time thinking it would be like, later, -- aha! you killed the "monsters" but they were your friends all along, maybe you're the monster! I think that idea was mostly videogameitis and grasping for straws with some of the weird stuff Phantoms mumble "what does it look like? the shape in the glass" making me thinknig someone losing their mind not understanding their hosed up reflection. Other quotes sounded like ghost impressions of people caught looping last thoughts before whatever incident.

oh wow, just saw this. all the phantom quotes are repeats of NPCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QldGhLBYSw

haha i forgot how much robo gravitas the suit voice has
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgErJKrlYlI

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 17, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

I think that's kinda what happened? There is an ability that allows you to create phantoms out of corpses, and the phantom object gets the name of the corpse object. So they aren't "actually" people, but those bipedal phantoms are just more advanced mimics that are trying to mimic humanity without actually knowing that's what they are doing. They're just mimicing a system, but that system happened to be a self-aware one, and that's alien to them.

Edit: Ending spoilers
That's what the experiment was for, iirc, deliberately giving a phantom self awareness (modeled after a specific person), and hoping that will make it sympathetic to humanity's plight. The player can decide if it worked or not. Works either way. Yeah, it's self aware now, and it loving hates humanity. Or, yeah, it's a simulacrum of M. Yu, and it hates its brother. Or... M. Yu was actually a good person, and the experiment worked, so now it's willing to bridge the gap between humanity and the mimics. Or in a meta way the player is now self aware of the "twist" and hates it, so they lash out and kill everybody.

Well I mean I was assuming a different cliche where the phantoms were real people and you're hosed up in some way not knowing it kinda deal. Which thankfully ended up not being the case as the mimics emulating people as systems is more interesting.

As for the ending, I choose to believe the mimic and doctor ended up becoming friends and then fall in love and the sequel will be about them using unethical science and business to help bridge the gap between their two warring families

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
games with early performance issues are annoying because you forever hear about it or see the effects even though X years later it's completely irrelevant.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arc Light posted:

For all that the Typhons needed mirror neurons to experience empathy, it sure looked like OG Morgan needed Typhon material to do the same. The more Typhon material that went into Morgan over time, via neuromods, the less of a sociopath that Morgan became. Hence how the operators progressed from October to January. Started out as a failsafe to contain the experiments, with October clued in to Morgan's plan for the nullwave device, back when Morgan still wanted the station to survive for future use. Subsequently, December was part of a later Morgan's plan to escape the station and expose Transtar's experiments to the public, and finally an even later iteration of Morgan decided that wasn't enough, and everything had to be destroyed, leading to January.

The Morgan who personally fed Mikhaila's political prisoner father to the Typhons was presumably an even earlier iteration.

I think him constantly losing parts of himself and his past, memories and experiences, means losing the parts that build the framework for a person able to do such horrible poo poo so often.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao I remember using some trainer at that point because I was just sick of fucknig wit hit at that point. I get what they wanted to do but they weren't able to cut it.

I consider Prey to be System Shock 3, updated to modern times and approach. Not like we'll be getting another System Shock and w every game Arkane strays further from Prey's light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

In any case I think a constructivist ontology / theory of mind (ie “a perfect physical representation of a person’s living brain is a meaningfully perfect clone of the person”) isn’t something the game actually endorses. January is distinct from the Morgan that created it, certainly distinct from the “Morgan” the player controls, and neither it nor October really see themselves as Morgans (January states this outright iirc), hence their full dependence on persuading the player-Morgan rather than pursuing their goals independently. They are designed with limited agency because their goal is to aid, not act.

At the same time there’s the implication that Morgan is advancing operator design at the time of the game (eg, Skillet the chefbot), and whether the station personality operators at the ending are more advanced than January is kind of an open question, though the idea that Alex has been alone in the world aside from imperfect chatbot versions of his colleagues would be suitably bleak Twilight Zone vibes.

Ofc if the sentient gun had made it into the game that would have sealed things anyway — the proposed arc would seem to imply that true artificial consciousness comes with extreme existential despair, which none of the other AIs would seem to exhibit. Ergo, they are not true AI.

It's offensive to all of the other organisms that make up a person to be so ignored in these so called "perfect" clones.