Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dyz posted:

Reinstalled this game and I'm enjoying it so far

Just got to the Yellow Tulip right after getting the lift field. Which lead to this:

http://plays.tv/video/59b745dec74b8d46db/dance-party?from=user

Is that some kind of upgraded shotgun like the golden gun? Or just a unique skin?

Edit: Oh wait, that was a pre-order thing wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me thinks they should have saved that scare for after the room fills with hydrogen gas. Some people may miss it entirely just by GLOOing up a wall or by fixing the tanks before going up but it would be the perfect to put in something like that which triggers a panic "Where's my shotgun-oops I exploded" response rather than just a few easily wrench'd phantoms.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The game throws just so many weapon upgrade kits at you as long as you're looking around anyways.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ladron posted:

I'm looking for something to fill the gap after this and dishonored. Does anyone have any opinions about Metro Redux, since it kinda seems to be a horror/shooter/rpg too?

Metro 2033/Last Light Redux are mostly linear post-apocalyptic shooters, not a whole lot in common with Prey beyond the perspective. They're not really scary (unless you're afraid of spiders) but they do have amazing atmosphere. 2033, even after the "redux," still carries a lot of the jank that the original release had but Last Light is the best Half-Life 3 you're going to playing until the next Metro game comes out. Playing 2033 first helps but you can get enough just by reading the Wikipedia entry and knowing that Last Light follows the "bad" ending. 2033 is still worth playing just be prepared to put up with some quirks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

the black husserl posted:

Just wanted to remark on how much I enjoy the changing environments and escalation of danger in this game. It really feels like the station is coming apart and the sense of "gently caress, there aren't enough bullets on the station to shoot my way out of this" is crucial for maintaining the later-game tension.

I don't know about that, after a human only run where I was recycling most of my psi hypos and all the extra weapons lying around I'm pretty sure I could have crafted enough shotgun shells to at least put a good hurting (end game spoiler) on the Apex Typhon

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you're sticking to one species skill (human or Typhon) you probably wouldn't need it at all but if you want to get a lot of skills from every tech tree in the game, or I guess if you just want to get skills really quickly, you would definitely want it early on because there aren't enough free neuromods to do that effectively.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of area transitions I wish you could take carried objects through loading screens. For no other reason than I was kind of expecting to be able to choose to destroy the station, knock Alex out, then drag him with me to the shuttle..

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hannibal Rex posted:

I wonder if it's possible to put Alex into his escape capsule rather than the safe room. Anyone tried that?

I'm betting that just leads to the "This isn't the one" ending because I don't think there's a way to have the nullwave or self-destruct ready at that point so you're still technically escaping the station before the actual endings. And its probably not possible to move quickly enough to do everything you need to do for one option, go to the bridge, set it off, and get back to Alex. Assuming he doesn't just die as soon as you load another zone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Introduce weapon stacking like that 2D Serious Sam shooter from a while ago.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Could I get a hint as to how to read the abbreviations on the treasure maps? I only found one on complete accident right after grabbing the piece.

I may be wrong but I don't think those refer to anything besides the floor of the area they'll be found in. You'll still need to check for the floor pattern yourself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Really conflicted -- I'm about halfway through the game and running human-only on my first playthrough, but there's a part of me that feels like I'm just denying myself the fun of the Typhon powers for a pointless achievement and a future playthrough that may or may never happen.

I have little independent thought, internets. Reinforce or disabuse my notion of a human-only first playthrough!

Almost everything is Prey, including the narrative, is set-up for you to ask why you're doing something. So have at whatever you want.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know what you any of you mean about Alex's voice. It's the kind of voice that seems almost inherently trustworthy to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

A game breaking bug in a released game that is so bad it prevents you from finishing the game is an incredibly good reason to score the game low

You should be happy with what our corporate overlords have given you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I walked right past Waves and Beams my first time through and didn't get the quest for the one in GUTS until... after Alex's apartment I think, when I looked up if I was missing anything quest-wise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Do you eventually get enough neuromods to unlock all the skills or do you really have to plan ahead what skills to prioritise?

At the start, Prey is one of those RPGs where you'll unlock one skill then walk into a room to find 2 things you can do with your new skill and 6 things you could have done with 3 other skills. So at the beginning it will feel like you can never choose right but it's not really true, you're never going to lock yourself out of something vital and there are more than enough skill up items to eventually get around to all the stuff. Really the biggest thing to remember is that you can make stairs with the GLOO gun and that you'll get a weapon called a "recycler grenade" at some point which can be used to clear some obstacles.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 1, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

echronorian posted:

So I bought Prey finally, it's really great and a sequel would be a day 1 purchase for me. I hope they make more!~!!

They won't, because you, specifically, waited so long to buy it. It's all your fault.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I've been taking my sweet time beating this game because I really love it, so I'm just now closing in on the end.

Am I supposed to gather that Mikhaila's father was the impostor chef fella, and I've killed him twice, now? I've read ahead and know a little, but that would be something of a revelation to me.

The not-chef is not her father. You can learn what happened to him if you save her. Have you been stopping by your office in the lobby?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tumble posted:

I bounce between hard and normal.

Edit - ok what the gently caress I just fought a third Nightmare in Deep Storage

The Nightmare will respawn every 30? minutes or so if you kill it but I don't believe it can spawn until you enter a new area. So if you're in Psychotronics for 30 minutes it's not going to saunter in unannounced but it will show up when you enter the next area it can spawn in. It's real fun when it spawns on the Bridge.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Nightmare definitely can show up after you've entered a level, and not even necessarily just when you've dosed yourself with an eyeball 8ball, but it will spawn in another part of the level and make a beeline for you.

Huh, never had that happen. It always appeared in a part of the station I had just entered. Hell one time I popped into Neuromods I think - where you get your first - and it was literally just standing right in the middle of the lobby, that was fun. Evade it, sure. And I'm pretty sure I must have spent a fair bit of time in a few areas, and used mods while I was there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... seriously? :aaa:

No.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

I highly doubt that AC: Origins only just outperformed Prey

Prey was released in May, ACO was released in October.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Late October as well, so really 2 months + 4 days. Which has AC:O, in terms of pure sales per month, doing more than 4 times as well as Prey.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Just bought and installed the game. So far, it runs super smoothly for me and I can run on high settings with no issues. The 18GB size was a great inscentive too and I still play the old System Shock games.

What should I keep in mind when first playing the game? So far the only difference in character choice between M & FM is just visual ones. What should I keep in mind when first playing this game?

In terms of narrative "choices" most of them are your standard video game ones but that's okay because eventually it turns out to be part of the point. As for the actual game part I only really have three big ones:

1) The GLOO gun can make stairs.
2) Don't fight anything that glows until you have the shotgun and ammo to shoot with.
3) The stun gun is the secret best weapon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This isn't complicated.

They reploy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If this ends in the announcement of an art book I'm going to be very upset.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GMRINGNNOOGMOOADR

It all makes sense!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Why would anyone want a Survival mode in Prey?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heads blowing up when they were close and alert to you was something I had to look up. I don't remember if the game really tells you about that. I thought it was the stun gun doing it and maybe I had to take out the telepath without engaging the people at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

On my playthrough i didn't use the Q beam (you had to take damage to use it, gently caress that) so I ended up using the shotgun and grenades for everything. Pistol was used solely to plink away at fuckers at a machine gun pace from a distance. My clicking speed it obscene at this point, pretty sure i'm going to ruin my mouse.

No you don't?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean, yeah, its a terrible weapon to use for sneak attacks. It's a really good weapon to use against tele/techno-paths that have already spotted you but are still across the room.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't say for sure because I wasn't really looking for it but I can't ever remember getting a Nightmare spawn after using neuromods, even if it was a bunch of them at once. Maybe I always managed to use a lot of them immediately after killing it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Abalone Malone posted:

yeah, but i did every side quest i could find.
i got the achievement for finding all the crew members on the station, which must've bugged out because i couldn't get the guys in the IT closet.

Those people are always inaccessible unless you're being a specific kind of character. It confused me a lot too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If somoneone has checked yet I'm assuming Survival mode is just 1 life or much fewer resources or something?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Jetpack, sprint, or if you've got them, recycle charges on the leaking barrels.

I really need to remember this, just in general. Radiation was super annoying in the main game and even though I figured out to toss recyclers at heavy obstacles I never clicked to throw them at the barrels.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t find the q-beam until well past the halfway point, stumbled right past Beams and Waves. It’s neat but nothing vital.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Trip report Day 4 appendix

The nightmare is a really terrible mechanic imo. Its AI is very limited and when it appears it usually means I have to just stop playing for 2 minutes.

There’s a solution for that!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Artelier posted:

So I just found out that Phantoms respawn. Or maybe spawn randomly. Turned the corner before they started muttering to themselves. :tif:

Enemies respawn and are going to do so more than a few times, FYI. They don't just pop into existence in front of you though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

On one hand you do whatever it is you think you need to do to make the game more enjoyable but on the other hand you may just need to toss some recycler grenades into a room you've cleared out already and then collect the parts for some more shotgun ammo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All the Typhon look pretty squishy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kin posted:

I've gotten what i think is about half way through the game (according to a walkthrough), but there's a main quest objective that's not cleared since the begnning of he game and i don't know if it's bugged or or not or if it's going to screw me later on.

Basically it's called 'Speak with January' and it relates to when you first meet in your office (after you watched the video). IIRC he dropped a keycard and a neuromod and i quickly picked up both, then an side objective popped up about picking up the neuromod, but that never cleared.

I suspect the two are interlinked, but i've been able to progress fine so far (as far as i'm aware) and i've got another main quest to Get to Alex's office and i've traversed all the way to fixing the lift with this "main" objective of speaking to January still sitting there.

Is it anything to worry about?

Does clicking on the quest not activate a tracking marker? I think you can ignore it the entire game and it won’t matter but if you want to clear it I think you go back to the zone you started the game in. Psychotronics I think? January should be there in the middle of the lobby.