Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i didn't look into this g ame much and bought it on a whim when i saw people mentioning ss2, knowing really nothing about it other than a short trailer. it's really loving good. this feels like the real successor to system shock 2 (bioshock's fine and all but wasn't as deep rpg wise and obviously the aesthetic is different)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i wish 'back out of menu' and 'use psi power' weren't on the same key. I'd like to bind the psy thing to something I hit less often, like the ctrl button.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Roobanguy posted:

so for people who have played this enough to form an opinion, is this another doom 2016 situation? complete garbage marketing but a cool+good game?

because i haven't heard/seen anything about this game since it was announced.

the game is being pretty much unanimously praised in here for what that's worth. can't speak to any wider reception. for my own money, it's really worth it if you liked system shock 2 at all.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
do you think making the turret voice as creepy as possible is a design feature by the company

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Be prepared to avoid fights whenever realistically possible and still die a whole bunch. Like, a whole bunch. One or two enemies can either stunlock you (in space only, mercifully) or nearly oneshot you (at range!), and while you absolutely don't have to fight them working around them is no picnic either and often results in you missing out on pretty great stuff.

Disclaimer: I'm playing without any Typhon Mods, which would make the aforementioned enemies much easier to deal with. That MAY be coloring my perception somewhat :)

Yeah I'm doing that too. I suspect in this kind of game it might have some plot importance.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

hampig posted:

I loved System Shock 2, but it's a game where I remember slowly inching forwards through a level, preserving ammunition by using your wrench and hoarding resources so that you can repair your gun when it breaks. It was more like a survival horror game and even when you got strong was never run and gun, while videos of this look like straight up action.

this is not run and gun at all and is pretty much exactly like what you describe - maybe a little more forgiving on resources. also not quite as scary imo but body horror really gets to me and ss2's body horror was good.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

FisheyStix posted:

What's the goon consensus on this game? Any good?

i'm 11 hours in and i cannot say enough good about this game. this is the best thing i've played in years (sorry witcher 3). it is like system shock 2 with all the clunkiness removed. there's so much to explore, ways to sequence break, different ways to play the game, the visuals are good, the writing's solid (not out of this world but pretty good), the level design is great with tons of nooks and crannies and different ways to go about things... game of the year, and would probably win in any other year i can think of since... i dunno, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Soul Glo posted:

Game is great. Best Bioshock since Bioshock 1. Kinda crazy how little Bethesda pushed this game before release seeing as how it's good, though I guess they kinda did the same thing with DOOM.

i think you will find it's the best system shock, of which bioshock was a gossamer-thin reflection.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
12 hours in and i'm restarting from the beginning not because i've hosed myself or anything but just because i want to play through the first half while knowing what i'm doing. this is very unusual for me, while i play on higher difficulties i'm mainly there for the experience of one playthrough. the game's that good. there's no part where i think 'well i'd like to fire it up again but i don't want to do THAT tedious bullshit again'.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 7, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
aaand second bug i've noticed (first was getting stuck on some gloo stuff). after getting out of the chopper on your first day i get a radio call. January: Good. You have what you need to get into Deep Storage.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Zomborgon posted:

Just finished playthrough 1, and fully intend to do it all again several more times. For one thing, I got the big signposted signals that special things would happen if I didn't use Typhon powers, and so ended up beating nightmares to death with a wrench and a massive adrenaline high. I'll be excited to try out some more psych abilities in round 2.

I really liked the ending sequence, especially how there were enough hints in research logs that you could understand where it comes from.

yeah i'd heard bad things about the ending but i think that was a pretty interesting way to end it that was foreshadowed throughout. i just wish they hadn't put it after the credits.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
started another playthrough, though it's on hold while i finish dishonoured 2 now that i have a powerful computer.

going to agree with something someone else said a bit earlier here: my only thing I think the game did badly (as opposed to just not doing something as well as it could have, like the antagonists) is the last 1/4 of the game where you're just retreading the same territory. maybe instead of the arrival in the shuttle later on they could've had a large military ship arrive you needed to explore, like the rickenbacker providing a natural late-game playground. they could've given it a different aesthetic, since it would be designed less for science and crew amenity - hostile, cramped.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

I try to just sort of go with my gut on the first play of a game like this, and found the Typhon surprisingly sympathetic, even without knowing the twist. Not many of the humans do things in the game that make me think "Yeah, this is worth saving." I wasn't sure about the Typhon either way for a long time because their motives are so mysterious; though clearly they've evolved to be something fascinating, something that interested me. What sealed the deal was the confirmation that coral is a neural map of the people who have been consumed. The Typhon aren't good, but they're not bad either, they operate outside of that reference framework, and I honestly find the idea of the massive shared neural framework quite interesting, as well as the structure of the various forms of Typhon that function to fill different roles towards a single end.

To that end, I played very Typhon-heavy, not gunless per se but going very heavy into psionics; and I was delighted to be able to choose to finish off the humans at the end, even if I did wind up saving quite a few (but not all) of the humans on the station in the sim. I know there's a pretty good argument for joining Alex since his plan is to splice together Typhon and Human into some kind of exotic fusion cuisine, but like I said, at the time I went with my gut and that involved killing them all.

Someone mentions that external comms are down, don't remember if it's an audio log or what, but there's been no way to radio off the station since the start of the incident. What puzzled me more was how the board knew to send Dahl even though comms were down.

you have a strange moral compass. the choice between a devouring alien physically incapable of empathising and even the decidedly flawed group of people on talos seems incredibly self-evident to me.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

One thing that story absolutely nails is including the most alien alien of all. I like what he did there. A physical Chinese room :cool:. Blindsight can be read free online if anyone wants to check it out.

I don't even know what wall just got broken.

Blindsight is really, really good. The only knock on it is the info dumps of whatever cool science Watts just read about. I didn't mind but some people will.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

smallmouth posted:

I thought I was hot poo poo until I met the Nightmare. He's handing my rear end to me.

nightmare is weak as gently caress if you have leveled combat focus. to make it more fearsome they probably should've let it break normal powers in some way.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i hope in whatever dlc is released they add in some weapons and make really hard enemy-dense areas. not in keeping with the rest of the game, and it might end up funneling players towards particular choices, but i want to go apeshit with all my tricks. like, you know how in dishonoured the main way to play it involves a lot of sneaking, but once you're kitted out the mechanics are all there to make an incredibly cinematic slaughter simulator? anyway, that may be a velleity when the desire is put subject to having some exploration and an interesting new story that can be discovered through that exploration.

i also would've liked some human enemies in the game with different ai to get you to use powers in different ways but i wouldn't expect that for a dlc.

this is just being greedy and talking idly, though, this game is goty easily and it's incredibly unlikely anything comes out between now and the end of the year to change that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
nightmares should have immunity to most psi-powers, including being able to physics break by ignoring combat focus. i mean, in addition to being better at getting through doors and poo poo.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

unwantedplatypus posted:

Just finished this game. The ending loving floored me. I was so conflicted about whether to use the nullwave or explode the station. I chose to explode the station. Shook hands with Alex.

A lot of people hated the ending. I thought it was great and elevated all the other plot, choices and worldbuilding.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Digirat posted:

I thought it destroyed all the other plot, choices and worldbuilding.

the choices are important to the ending, just not in the way such choices ordinarily are. the worldbuilding hammers home how these things gently caress with memory and how the typhon are incapable of communication. the plot point regarding morgan's shifting personality and how others perceive morgan's actions reflects what an untested moral agent the hybrid silent alien protagonist is. taking all of these things without the ending would have just left it at a ho-hum story, with the only noteworthy part about the writing being how they accounted for all kinds of weird choices and how they put a lot of care into setting up all the station characters and their relationships. the ending made the relationships and how morgan related to everything more interesting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
agreed with the second-to-last post on pretty much everything.

as far as the last part of the game and the problem with how much backtracking there is and consequently how little time you spend doing the fun exploration stuff then, i think they could've taken a cue from SS2: have dahl turn up in something much larger than a shuttle, and you have to go over to that for whatever plot reason; maybe put the station further out in the solar system to justify why a full-blown spaceship is necessary.

i am wondering what system shock 3 is going to take from this game and how they'll distinguish that game.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DelphiAegis posted:

I waived this game off as my computer is a piece of poo poo, and surprisingly the demo runs moderately well. I am stunned.

Time to wait for another sale though. :( I'd go back to play SS2 but I just can't after this, even if it was just the demo. God drat.

The game is pretty well optimised. Reviews I've seen that tested it on multiple rigs found silky consistency, and on high end rigs no drop beneath 90 fps. Some guy on Reddit was experimenting with ancient computers and the game and got it running on some ancient poo poo (albeit at bad frame rates)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Ss2's had sick body horror and two (three if you count xerxes) creepy antagonists. Also the sound design was great for horror (e g hybrids screaming at you for death or apologising. So prey doesn't quite exceed it in all areas.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah it was already planned before the release and I think the game wasn't a total sales flop so that hasn't changed. We don't know any details though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

vorebane posted:

My money is on Morgan kicking over the other outpost that got hinted at.

This would rule.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Vib Rib posted:

Only on my second playthrough did I get to the corpse on the floating electronic billboard that circled the station. I finished what he was working on.
It broke my heart. Just a little bit.

Later on you find he got the idea from a co-worker while figuring out how to do the right thing

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GigaPeon posted:

Guys, I'm not sure I had two things of JD before...

the liquor cabinet of a normal human being (extreme binge drinkers go through booze on such a regular basis anything around is consumed, and keeping no alcohol in the house is necessary to create a practical brake on consumption)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Vakal posted:

Semi Sacred Geometry is better than it has any right being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahHW2yotVh8

this got stuck in my head after having to redo the bar fight a couple of times. danielle sho's voice actress has a nice voice and there are a couple of catchy vocal hooks, so, yeah.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Plot wise there'll be a line at the end and a short cutscene where you first install a typhon mod.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Digirat posted:

The difference is that basically every typhon neuromod is some kind of cool active power or a pretty specific passive with one of those as a prerequisite. Human neuromod have almost no active That stuff is really a lot more irreplaceable than turning into a mug

obviously you and i play this game very differently.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

A few weeks after we learned that Prey had not sold well, he announced that he was leaving to "spend more time with his family." Which is often but not always corporate speak for being forced out of a position.

this is filling me with trepidation. all the dishonoured poo poo and prey have been really loving good, and i don't want them to stop.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

aniviron posted:

I am getting serious Deus Ex: Invisible War vibes from this trailer, in a bad way. I guess it might be time to test what everyone always says, that DXIW isn't a bad game, it's just a bad Deus Ex game.

the story is okay. everything else is pretty bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i want them to do a deus ex now they've done their thief and system shock games

the actual recent deus ex games being okay but not the same

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'd really love to see an Arkane spin on Mirror's Edge.

that'd be cool.

finding out about the 'one city block' idea of a game was a nice discovery for me. i don't spend lots of time thinking about videogames, but when i have thought about it i've come to a similar kind of idea of what i'd like to see in a videogame. i've talked about it particularly with friends when talking about open-world games - how i'd like something that similarly set you loose with solid core mechanics and had tons and tons of varied content but the content placed more weight on the quality of detail and story everywhere you looked, instead of something which marketed 'YxZ square kilometres!' and had collectibles and cut-and-paste quests. so i was thinking something very similar to the one city block idea, although maybe slightly larger in scale than one block.

cyberpunk 2077's my current hope for something like this. projekt red certainly has the writing chops, it seems to be focused less on huge expanses of land and to be focused on one city (from what I understand so far), and given how positively received and successful the witcher 3 was they might even make it a commercial success and you'll get people willing to put money into that type of game. i mean, we don't know the combat mechanics are going to be immersive sim-like, but i have a feeling it'll be close to one in terms of what the attraction is.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
according to this steam thing there are about 560,000 owners: http://steamspy.com/app/480490

i have no idea what's break even on games, though i know that wouldn't be considered great. would steam capture all the owners on pc? the pissy jaded reviewers really hurt this game i think - i had three friends is poke to who'd all been put off by the reviews, though i managed to convince a couple to get it nonetheless.

i wouldn't give up hope of arkane making more games like this, even if we don't get prey 2, unless it was all driven by the guy that left which would be a crying shame.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I'm with IGN on this one. If you're going to withhold advance copies, you can't expect them to go out of their way over gamebreaking bugs.

What's it like being a huge bitch

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I cannot understand your thinking. 'It's to be expected IGN would be petty unprofessional bitches therefore it's not a moral fault on their part for being petty unprofessional bitches.' The second part does not follow the first.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I got this the other day and have been absolutely loving it. That said, I have a question.

I got the code for DeVries's office from the quarantine wall, but the keypad at his door just says 'No matching keycard' and won't let me access the number pad to put it in. Am I missing something?

edit: wrong advice. if it's not working though there is a workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOUgNdDgEc

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Well I just killed Mikhaila Ilyushin on my KILL EVERYBODY run for the achievement. It's no big deal to have done that, after all I'm gonna get an achievement for it.

:negative:

it's okay. the chef was her dad. she's got the genes of a psychopath. you were right to do it.

... you loving monster

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The bad reviews from pissy journalists angry at not getting ARCs I suspect hurt a lot. Three guys I know parroted at me comments from those reviews how it was boring and nothing new or interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

...! posted:

I wish there were more games like this. I almost didn't get it after hearing it was a reboot of the original Prey. I only played the original for like an hour many years ago but the two don't seem much alike other than the ethnicity of their protagonists. Am I remembering the other game incorrectly?

the game has nothing to do with the original but the name and being shooters with aliens. it was never made with the original prey ip in mind. the original prey protagonist was native american, not half-asian, too!