Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Is speed the only difference between the prowler and the growler or is the growler also more capable of various EW shenanigans?

Even if speed is the only difference I also think it's worthwhile to get the growler and reduce the gripped buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Bering Strait, Angerpeace.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So question for the thread -

Given that we've pissed off China something fierce, would it make sense to pre-emptively grab a Growler to counter them handing out extremely advanced SAMs to our enemies in Angola?

Yes.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Bering Strait, AngerPEACE

As for planes I'd like to move to a gripen eventually but I don't mind sticking in the phantom I had last mission if no gripens are available. I don't mind a tornado either if someone prefers my phantom to a tornado.

Edit:

Dandywalken posted:

Already called Reaper since I'm a literal ghost :(

Yeah dead pilots get first dibs on drones. Everyone knows that.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Yooper posted:

FYI : Our mercs, after the previous stellar mission, have decided to have a Thunderdome. Why? I'm not sure, maybe to decide who's the boss or who carries the M60?

It's looking to be entertaining. But on the other hand if they all die from infections in two weeks then we're poo poo out of merc luck.

It was the only sensible solution that a bunch of 18-year-old bootcamp dropouts could come up with to determine who gets the one of the very few leadership slots!

Also it will be fun to see which one beats the other with a chain or bat or whatever. I think they'll all be wearing rigid body armor and in any case they are very weak (thanks a lot, Phoenix Command Stat Generation) so I don't think any of them are likely to be seriously injured.

Also we shouldn't worry about grinding up too many ground mercs and becoming under strength, as that recruit roster is WAY longer than the number of soldiers a sane Phoenix Command GM can simulate in any given mission. Plenty of replacements, is what I'm saying.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Soup Inspector posted:

Apparently our ground component is slowly descending into madness. :stare:

Ok, listen, the ground troops have...some things to work out, but let's be honest here, they ain't got it as easy as we do. They don't have radios or binoculars, they're all so young, they don't have ~100's of millions of dollars to throw around and they don't get to argue over which EW pod is the best.

Instead, they argue over who gets the single m60 or who gets one of the scant few squad leader positions.

I hope we will all give our ground component some space and let them figure things out for themselves. They are facing a very different set of circumstances and we have to acknowledge that.

Also I think their base coordinator might be the used car salesman who sells us American planes and missiles? It's difficult to say.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

NewMars posted:

I do want to point out that our ground force's commander isn't just a Kurt Russel Cosplayer.

They're actually an escaped mental patient that thinks that they are Kurt Russel and all his characters.

Boca Raton. Of course.

I wouldn't be surprised if this Faux Kurt Russel turned out to be a real Colonel Kurtz type the way things are shaking out. We should have voted for that Soviet partisan.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Telsa Cola posted:

From what I understand the tec had his weapon drawn and aimed at the door before Grimace came in and then managed to roll really well.

I bet that tech just sat there all day, every day with his lovely TT-33 pointed at the door and beads of sweat dripping down his face. Finally, Grimace burst in and the tech shot him and the tech said, "See guys? I told y--" and then Grimace shot him in the face.

The sad life of remote mountain radar technicians.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm gonna throw my weight behind Lubango.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

We'll need more crew members, I think we have like 12 people on the ground. Having a mechanized platoon would double or triple that.

(As an aside, someday I would love to get some rocket artillery for my inner russian :ussr: )

Come now, we can't trust that weird outfit with all that cash. Let's drop them 300k so they can pick up some nice support weapons and be done with it.

I don't think we can make Phi field many more than the 12ish soldiers per mission that are active right now because that Phoenix command rule set is a goddam nightmare with lots of soldiers on the field.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Davin Valkri posted:

I also agree to a check for a million or two for the infantry.

I think we should earmark it with some useful and some useless stuff instead of just giving them a million.

Make them buy the 3 EOD suits, all the ppsh's, the QF 17 Pounder, all the flammable poo poo, etc. etc. maybe also buy them a comms center, some radios, and a mortar.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

PBJ posted:

Our first rivals :allears:

I wouldn't dignify them with titles like that :colbert:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Rohan. Let the Free State Redditors have Zack, he'll fit right in over there.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Davin Valkri posted:

We may be mercenaries, but as fighter pilots, we inherit the traditions of the knights of yore. (I'm serious, Gen. Billy Mitchell made that comparison). We should therefore hold ourselves to high standards.

The knights of yore were a bunch of inbred thugs in plate armor.

Now I don't have a problem in abstaining from cluster munitions in a human vs. human conflict. But I hope that when the time comes, in the Bering Strait, when it comes down to cluster bombing a harbor to save the whales, you'll all make the right choice.

You guys make such a big deal about Rohan like she's a crazy person just cause she's a little disgruntled from the whole China affair. You know that I would level every tuna cannery in the world to save one dolphin, right? And I'm probably not even the most depraved pilot hanging around here.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
@AwesomeLeader69's first listed follower has a Pepe avatar. Classic.

Can't wait to see his tweets when we bomb his palace.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
:rip: Tornado crews, we will try and find some sweet drones for you to spirit-fly as is our custom. Just don't haunt the dining hall and shake chandeliers and poo poo because that's creepy and the ground mercs are superstitious enough as it is.

I think that went well all things considered. Rohan is turning out to be a bit more rogueish than I thought though. I thought she might get herself/our mercs into trouble taking crazy risks, I never thought she would flat out bomb hotels and stuff. Maybe we should send her to the Bering Strait where at least her random bombings will likely be of some benefit to the whales.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

None of this would have happened if we had just hired Bogdan and we would have same 4 million. But noooooooooooooo everyone want's to hire the insane ex-Indian Airforce commander who we knew was gonna be a total wild card.

We've paid her 6 Million dollars to bomb a bunch of corporate contractors who might have hired us.

No one likes a Monday morning quarterback :colbert:

Besides, I think you might be conflating Bogdan the drill instructor from the Phoenix command thread with Bogan the Crocodile Dundee type from this thread.

Edit:

glynnenstein posted:

Also, I am concerned our ground elements are in desperate need of psych services already.

Brother, you don't know the half of it. Popete tried to kill a dude with a rock and they're talking about training up a war bear for breaching duties.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

Oh yeah, it's that old AC-130 gunship I found in a hangar.

!!!

Guns Guns Guns volunteering for gunship duty :patriot:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

UberJew posted:

or you buy the boat and take it out with a cruise missile

Once again, I vote bote.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
What if we get a giant zeppelin and just cover it with guns and have it shoot all the time and in all directions? we'll make it remote controlled from a space station and it'll loiter at 90,000 feet and drop glide bombs everywhere while it drifts around.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Hitting the diamonds is, like, the polar opposite of destroying capitalism and therefore A Bad Thing.

You can't expect to enter a sub-Saharan war zone without winding up on the wrong side of the diamond trade from time to time.

Honestly the world would have been all the richer if humanity had somehow ignored diamonds entirely for the last 200 years but what can you do? People love engagement rings and dumb shiny rocks. Diamonds are like drugs except more expensive and a way larger portion of the population uses them.

Now the soundest course is hitting the diamonds so we can go back to fighting over lithium for full pay.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Diamonds are fine, artificial scarcities created by the De Beers monoply are not :v:

But we need a few more wins before we start fighting in Europe.

Oh, so when you said "we can hit De Beers if you want" you meant hit their headquarters? In London?

:ohdear:

What are the chances of my F-4 making its way home from that one...

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Abstaining from cluster munitions didn't cost us 30% of our payout, if it did then I might suddenly have a change of heart about cluster munitions :colbert:

Plus yeah, we're going to need every penny for the procurement phase right before we bomb De Beers HQ, thus saving the whales forever. I think. I might be confused.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I am withdrawing my name from AC 130 contention. I have decided to remain in my Phantom despite it's undergunnededness.

This is an act of generosity toward the influx of pilots needing flight spots and is in no way an act of cowardice to avoid horrific Thunderdome related injuries. :tinfoil:

But seriously you can die in the Thunderdome if you get hit in the neck with a rock or club or something.

Edit: Oh, it's a CMANO Thunderdome fought in the air over high elevation mountainous terrain. That actually sounds more dangerous.

Edit Edit: BernDuder is having a rough time in the free state. Two cases of dysentery and a chimpanzee bite.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 25, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Reverse Isiah Mustafa.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

how do you do an animation on a supersonic fighter

LED's. But you're right, no one could see it, except at night, when everyone could see it.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Vando posted:

I wish you nerds would stay on target and focus on one thing (battleplans) and not get distracted by shiny objects :argh:

So are you in favor of LED animated gif logos or not? I can't tell from this post.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Yooper posted:

Does anyone have an interest in seeing the mission live, on Twitch or YouTube? Not saying I will, but curious. I kind of like the flexibility to do it whenever.

I'd be up for a twitch stream of a mission.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Skimmed the thread looking for our wishlist

Replace Tornadoes
More Gripens and Tornadoes
B-1B
AC-130
SS-26
WR-40
S-400
PLZ-45

This looks about right?

Add an SR-71 but weaponize it somehow, an amphibious assault ship, some sort of ballistic missile that flies for a few hundred miles before deploying 8 meteor missiles, and a stealth zeppelin with hangars that loiters at the edge of space. It should have a nuclear reactor and spacious accommodations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Tythas posted:

We should beat them to the punch and use one of our spewers to hit his house

Agreed.

Deploy meteor gripens to shoot down their drone, then do exactly what they were trying to do with our own drone, then troll their subbreddit about it.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Added. I think its cheaper to just buy some warheads, but if we want to go from scratch, that's the price.

I don't like the idea of putting all our eggs in the ssbn basket. We need at least a few land missile silos with ICBM's, and get some of those old Russian ICBM's built before treaties banned land-based MIRVs.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Seriously though some SCUDS would be within our budget and a lot of fun.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

power crystals posted:

There were two available last time but they were like $90M each. I thought it was a waste but after watching that Prowler make an absolute fool of everything that looks at it with a decade or two older tech I am totally in on getting those if they show up again.

This is the acquisition choice I am saltiest over. I pushed hard for that EA-18. Better EW, better load out, and fast as a fighter jet all for 30m more than the prowler. At the time we said, "we'll never encounter s300's or s400's, we don't need better EW gear, let's go real downmarket on this one." And I said not to go downmarket on EW stuff, oh yes I did.

But noooo, don't listen to Cathode, Cathode's crazy. Cathode wants ballistic missiles. Cathode thinks whales are people. Cathode can't be trusted with EW decisions, because Cathode flies a lovely old Phantom he's not cool like the Gripen pilots I could fly a Gripen too, you monsters, I would be just as good as you lot. :argh:

One day I'm gonna get that EA-18 and I'm gonna fly off with it into the sunset, and you won't know which way I've gone because all your radars will be jammed. One day I'm gonna get out of this outfit and I'm gonna fly straight to the Bering Strait and I'm gonna be the first and last Human president of earth.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Cathode and I are both apparently eco-warriors, can we paint an avenging whale on our Phantom or something?

Yes, can we depict an angry baleen whale devouring the whole world on our Phantom? Or would HUMAN resources find that threatening?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

You bet your bippy it does, and the IRST on it looks like an utter gamebreaker.

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=3201

Edit: The extra range on it too gives it way longer time on station performing CAP missions.

It looks like one of those loadouts carries 6 meteors, can our Gripens carry 6 meteors?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Groggy nard posted:

You have a point here, there IS the eternal Rule of Cool factor for battleships, even if aircraft carriers make them pointless.

But let me clue you in on something. An Arliegh Burke "Destroyer" has about the same tonnage as a Northampton. That's right, our modern "Destroyers" are actually Heavy Cruisers.

Also even the 16inchers on the Iowas are a bit pointless considering Excaliber rounds(GPS guided artillery with limited self propulsion! Or whatever other named system that does the same thing, one is cheaper and one has an easier name to remember) already are planned on being integrated to USN 5inchers, giving them an massively increased shore bombardment range and accuracy. They are like missiles, but much cheaper. This, my friends, is what we should be looking at for shore bombardment.

What is your opinion on perhaps acquiring a stealth zeppelin that loiters at the edge of space? It could also do shore bombardment.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I'm watching the stream. Got a bad feeling about this one. Dunno why. Everything is ok so far...

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Did we win :ohdear:

I shot down like 15 flankers, you should have seen it. I was all, "Not today, Free State scum!" And then I flung a paveway at them and it smashed right into the cockpit of the lead bird and blew up the whole wing.

And then like 10 J-20's popped out of nowhere and said, "this is for China!" And they tried to shoot me down but I was all, "this is for the whales, you stealth monsters" and I dropped some flares on them and it went in their intakes and their engines caught on fire.

Then the Count gave me a medal and a trillion dollars and a stealth zeppelin.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Dreamsicle posted:

Voting for Double the Numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

Quick bit of info, a Gripen E will be able to see a stealth target on its IRST from a good distance.

This will be important for our eventual invasion and conquest of the United States.

What? Why did everyone suddenly get so quiet? You knew where this was headed when you signed on.