Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Who would volunteer to be the Angolan Air Marshall at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Silent Bob died *sniff* that we might live.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Seems like a waste of an elephant's time.

Can't he just execute the air marshall with an AA gun like a normal psychopath?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

I have my doubts about that, surely if he wanted to launch at poo poo he had plenty of good targets on final approach but he seemed laser-focused on the airfield. I wonder what he was carrying.

If memory serves, he expended his A2A missiles killing one of the phantoms, so yeah I assume he had some sort of anti runway bomb or some sort of A2G loadout. I was afraid he might try to attack me and Cryo since we were the closest aircraft and we were completely out of ammo but he didn't.

Still, a Su-30 with a different loadout could have shot down the support craft if in a similar position

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
As a matter of policy, I must vote bote for Ivanov. It's the least practical choice, but also the coolest. We get a boat, we get frogfoot replacements, and we also get a mig-25, which is basically a brick that goes Mach 3. I know what you're thinking, "but Cathode, can it turn? Can it do things?" No it can't turn. No, it can't do things. But it can go Mach 3!

Also I hope all you people who voted for that despicable gambling neocon Zach realize what Rohan and Silent Bob(:rip:) did for us. Were it not for their heroic messianic actions last mission, half of our aircraft INCLUDING expensive support craft would be dead. I would definitely be dead, along with most other Phantom pilots and some Gripen pilots, and we would be having a very different procurement discussion.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

It can't fire missiles, it can't drop precision bombs, there's an awful lot it can't do.

I know it can't do things. I explicitly said it can't do things, including the things you pointed out that it can't do. But can it Mach 3? Yes it can!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

sparkmaster posted:

I figure we could also leverage our data and success into a corporate sponsorship from Saab. In exchange for our Gripen data, I'm sure Saab would upgrade our C model Gripens into Es.

So yes, someone contact Saab corporate communications and see if we can work out a deal.

This would be pretty easy in real life most likely, because despite our best efforts we probably have a sterling public perception at this point. We freed Tibet, we backed the only moderately reputable person in the Angolan Lithium Wars, and our airborn heroics are the stuff of legend.

The public does not know - and need not know - that ~20% of our pilots are ecoterrorists, that ~40% endorse cluster bombing everything, or that our ground element is beating each other up with chairs and wrenches to determine who gets to be boss.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

PenguinSalsa posted:

Speculation: Are the cheap Harpoons a hint that we should keep an eye on the coast? (That's where the PLAN would show up :tinfoil:

This is assuming that we're not already surrounded by Chinese stealth zeppelins, which is a reckless assumption.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Cathode and I scored the first Phantom gun kill since Vietnam and that's all that matters

I think our missiles missed, though, because our missiles are garbage. If we had non-garbage missiles that would have been ~1-2 more kills.

We got to think long and hard before we deliberately use any Phantoms for CAP is what I'm saying. Last mission was an exception because last mission we were desperate.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Agean90 posted:

It actally got hit by 2 missiles. The first had no effect other than making it flash, so we think the russians have figured out hitpoints and i-frames

Russians have implemented Dark Souls invincible dodging technology in their fighter jets and this is terrifying.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

The Sandman posted:

Sounds like a good reason for a pre-emptive strike against the Dictator's palace.

I agree.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

The Sandman posted:

I don't. That, we want to loot harder than the British looted the Summer Palace during the Second Opium War, which we can't do if we blow it up.

I bet once we get in there it's gonna be a Trump-style, piss-yellow gold-plated-everything garbage king's idea of a palace with nothing but big hunting trophies and grandiose portraits everywhere.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Dr. Snark posted:

Look man, we already talked about it during the last stream and concluded that China's going to be the final boss anyway. It can wait.

You say that, but even now their stealth zeppelins circle overhead. We know they are there and we know that they are stealth. We know these things because there's nothing on the radar, which is characteristic of an incoming stealth zeppelin strike.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

Don't forget the submarine supercarrier

Thanks you, yes.

We have no reason not to believe that the Chinese may own a noiseless submarine that can deploy many hundreds of aircraft in seconds via some sort of combination of variable geometry aircraft and a tube launching system.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Did he have to burn the hyenas? The hyenas were hardly at fault for anything.

Plus he's kind of an idiot for believing his air marshall. I mean so many planes exploded and crashed everywhere that you could probably ask any local how many planes got shot down and they would say more than four.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Quinntan posted:

We happen to have a file photo of him on hand

Look at how disreputable he is. A skinny mustache is always a sign of villainy.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Ikasuhito posted:

Can someone explain all the praise the (late) Air admiral is getting? I was watching the stream on my phone so maybe I missed something, but the only plan that looked to be in place was for them to grab anything that could still fly and chuck it at your airfield all at once.It wasn't a bad plan, it just doesn't seem worth noting.

I believe our dearly departed air admiral misled the good dictator, claiming that sortie shot down 4 goon planes for no losses. This was enough of a turnaround for the dictator to be satisfied with the progress the air admiral was making.

However, the dictator has since found out the truth and arranged for the air admiral to be killed and devoured by various animals.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I think we should back the Kfir gambit for a myriad of very good reasons that others have touched upon.

I think also we should subsidize the Count's ground forces but check to see if we can manage some sort of lend/lease agreement first to offset the cost, maybe arrange for him to pay us back after we're done in the theater.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I don't think we should assume a competent leader would take the Dictator's place, or even that a post-Dictator Angola would be united. It could very well be that any reasonably smart replacement(s) from the upper echelons of the Dictator's crew would be willing to cut a deal with the Count or Free State to ensure a better chance of survival and at least SOME money going into their Swiss bank accounts rather than a paveway or SDB to the face, which is basically the eventual fate of any leader in a war zone without an Air Force.

For now though we might want to just focus on getting our grubby mits on those Kfirs as safely as possible, as we will need them no matter what happens.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm sure they'd rather rip apart the contract, load up the tanks onto a container ship, and fly the people out of an airport rather than actually surrendering to a hostile entity.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

sparkmaster posted:

How can you possibly say that the sexy sexy delta wings of the Mirage III or 2000 doesn't give you a little bit of that happy pants feeling?

They're too delta if you ask me. I'm not one to body shame an airplane but mirage 3's are so delta it looks fake, or like they're trying to be delta, you know?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Daylight plane robberies are the best kind anyway.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

simplefish posted:

Whatever the plan is, can we have a standing order not to go after enemy aircraft when we're down to just guns?

Tythas posted:

But how else willl GUNS GUNS GUNS get kills?

Yeah! I'm guns only. Cryo and I only fire those aim-120b's because we know they won't hit anything.

And so far, they have not let us down.

Thefluffy posted:

just put gunpods on the air to air missles

This is an acceptable compromise.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I am relieved to hear that the Free State ground forces are under equipped despite being nominally well funded. I have always entertained the possibility that the Free State might be just another kickstarter scam.

I am alarmed, however, to hear that the paint job on the Free State jets is "killer", because if they like it it must be terrible. Get ready to repaint the Kfirs.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Now what is the non-human mammal and bird population of these hospitals that we'll be bombing? How many rats, dogs, cats, sparrows, magpies, etc casualties can we expect?

I think we should stick to bombing hospitals where we know the non-human to human ratio is no higher than 1:10.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Bad Anime

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

power crystals posted:

PS no I will not let go of tables, thank you very much. I'm a backend guy, gently caress CSS.

I hear ya man. CSS is by maniacs, for maniacs. The only frontend stuff I will do is webGL stuff.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Hey, this is not necessarily relevant to this planning phase, but how are the AIM 120's carried on the phantoms? Do they occupy the same slot as a sidewinder would? If they do, can they be swapped out for Iris-T's? I know the Iris is way shorter range but the hit rate is much better and we might want to consider it for some missions.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Yooper posted:

I think it has more to do with targeting computers, electronics, etc. Unless you can find a DB entry that has one like that, then we can't switch it.

Ahh, ok, thanks for clarifying.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I got caught up with work for a week or two and now I have 1668 posts in this thread to get caught up on.

Time to get cracking.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Hexenritter posted:

So Cobbie and friends will be able to write a glowing account of their escapades for their AAR

Who knows, maybe it could be leveraged into a hot property for Hollywood.

Cobbie should paint "gone fission" on the transpo.

ok I'll stop now

Yeah you should stop. None of those puns is rad enough to justify joking about such serious matters.

Also it's been a while since aI checked in on this lp. So...we're stealing nukes, getting killed in droves, and possibly picking a fight with another superpower for not-really-any-good-reason? This has finally become the outfit I knew we always would become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Some mammals was born to win, others born to lose. I reckon them whales was born to lose.

But that don't make it right :smith: