Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Just posting to say this thread made me join SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

[*]The ALARMs seem to have a poor chance of hitting. Their final hit probability was 25% or lower whenever I looked.
[*]I suspect the most probable outcome of the flights of the AMX's in the east would have been losing them both to the SAM shots they took.
[*]The AMX's went in there blind, which was a bad idea. I think a Tornado or Gripen with radar on would have done much to solve this issue.
[*]I would have liked to see the Pig Pen be in a more central position, the EA-6B and gripen CAP constantly had to fly back to base to get fuel.
[*] I would have preferred a cruise missile strike on Benguela AFB over Luamba/o, I don't recall planes launching from Laumba/o but they did launch from Benguela last mission.
[*]Free State seems to have 2 new KF-16's along with the Kfirs
[*]The Kfirs are the Colombian C.10 variant, they're modernized
[*]Sa-11's seem capable of shooting without radar.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Night10194 posted:

Now is the time we should totally send him flowers and a card.

A .gif of a penis going from flaccid to fully erect.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Third possibility would be to take the bribe and offer our Gripens to the count for $100m.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Added Space posted:

At this point I'm wondering if we want to target the Free State next. The dictator is pinned down in Luanda whereas they have free reign to inflict anime on the poor public. I bet with one good bloody nose they'll be sent running.

Dictator has the money to make good on his threat and we really don't want to spend the next 5 missions taking down easily replacable AA batteries as he buys or rents himself a new airforce. We're gonna need to turbofuck him to prevent that from happening.

Realistically the Free State might make some gains on us in the East, and we stand a chance of losing some lithium income, but they have no real way of making a profit off of it, themselves. They're not a real threat and we need to go through Dictator land to get to them.

I would gladly trade a few hundred miles of bumfuck nowhere for the coast up to and including Luanda. We need to hit the Dictator while he's reeling and get him out of the game as fast as possible.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I vote to take the bribe, leave and sell the Gripens to count von Hoff for $100-200m or so. As long as we can repurchase the Gripens for less than $40m a pop, that is.

What we're looking at is a lot of missions like operation Golgotha in a war that's looking like it will devolve into ethnic conflict and warcrime central station. I'm worried that the rest of the Angola campaign will be more of the same and that it will be a slog to get through.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Quinntan posted:

In my opinion it has to be the Dictator's Ground Forces. We have strong momentum at the moment, and relenting on the pace will allow the Angolan Army to dig in and make them an almost-impossible barrier for our own troops. They're lightly armed, too lightly armed for us to be able to break through.

Our ground forces are exhausted, the Delvianos forces have already entrenched, and we have no good way of dislodging them. We've already lost the momentum.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Tythas posted:

if only we had napalm to dislodge them

Can napalm melt steel tanks?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

We need to hit the coast and drive up to and then siege Luanda. All the good stuff is along the coast, centered around Luanda. We need to have the coast for an attack route on Luanda, anyway.

Free state can try to take Eastern Angola if they feel like it. They're dead meat anyway. They're gonna get cut off from supplies by dos Santos forces, and then the DRC is liable to come in and mop up their capital.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Added Space posted:

Why would they have bad morale? Sure they lost a few planes but they're doing very well right now.

They're getting their poo poo kicked in along the coast, with no signs of being able to stop it. Once the dos Santos forces push up to the border with the DRC, whatever Free State forces are left in Angola will be cut off from supplies.

Free State is dead meat.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

As tempting as it is to take the internet away from Redditors, I think hitting that bridge might get the DRC and potentially the UN mad at us, which we don't need at this stage in the game. The bridge, is, after all, in DRC territory. And there is a non-zero chance civilians will get killed - not a good look, consider we kind of need the international community to like us right now.

While I do agree throwing cruise missiles on DRC land would normally not be a good idea, they're allowing foreign invaders to move military equipment through their territory to fight a war. The DRC is gonna have to suck it up. Oh and we're fighting a war here. Lets not chicken out of blowing up valid military targets just because some bystanders are gonna get harmed.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I doubt we have that much precision. And even if we did, I really don't think anybody is going to accept 'well actually we only bombed the Angolan half, pay no mind it went through DRC airspace and the whole bridge collapsed as a result' as an excuse.

Cruise missiles actually do have that sort of accuracy. And if we bomb the southern terminus of the bridge, it will not have crossed into DRC airspace either.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I would be willing to drop ~$10m out of our own pocket to get the Reddit army to switch allegiances. They'll have to make themselves useful and ground any reddit/SMARF planes in Angola though.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yooper, what are the count's thoughts on buying the reddit army, and what sort of money are they looking for anyway?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, I figure ourselves and the Little Birders can just see through the campaign before taking our leave (with a generous severance package). unlike the Free State, Free Angola isn't reliant upon mercenaries to do their fighting (except in the air, of course, but in that case there wasn't much choice). I don't think anybody was thinking of resettling the entire company here.

And 1/30 ratio, huh? The Free State is hosed if those guys walk away. I figure one way to get them willing to walk might be to bomb the Free State's lone Lithium mine, that'd tank their stock pretty hard. Although that could be problematic, considering the whole point of the UN intervention is to unfuck the Lithium supply.

The Reddit mercs are essentially the officer corps and probably a good chunk of the NCOs. So yes, if they walk the free state forces will be in chaos for a while. It would be even better if they can take command of the troops, and go and take the remaining SMARF airbases, but I'm not holding out hope for that.

The way I see it, the Reddit mercs have three concerns: their pay, their supplies and their way out. From what we know all of these go through Cabinda, and vey importantly, the bridge that connects Cabinda to the rest of Angola. If we blow the bridge(on the angolan side of course), we take all of these away in one go. Mercenaries are not covered by the Geneva conventions and they have huge targets on their backs if they end up on the losing side of the war. This is why I believe they're likely to flip to our side ; we're their best chance of getting out alive and they know it.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I decided I wanted to try my own hand at planning a mission, but I ended up copying a lot from Bacarudda

OPERATION DONT CUT THE ROPE

There are two objectives to my plan:

1. General assault on dos Santos forces in support of the push up to Luanda. This should speak for itself. If we can capture Luanda, Free Angola wins the war. I want to prosecute this fairly aggressively, because there's ~180nmi between our current lines and Luanda. We don't have the time needed to play it super safe.

2. Hurt the Free State where it hurts them the most: their supply line (and their communications network). Most/all of their supplies move from Cabinda to Angola by the bridge connecting Soyo and Muanda. And then there are the two microwave transmitter towers in Cabinda itself, used for communication with the rest of Angola. If we blow the bridge and these towers, we'll destroy their supply chain and leave the troops in the field out of contact the HQ in Cabinda. This should effectively cripple the Free State troops in Angola. What this also means is that this op does not include CAS or SEAD flights against the Free State, though it does provide a CAP.

Objective Shadowban

Aims to eliminate the microwave transmitters in Cabinda and blow the bridge between Muanda and Soyo, with the goal of cutting off the Free State armed forces from communicating with the capital, and to sever supplies.

2x Tornado IDS - German
-Taurus KEPD
2x Gripen
-SPK-39 Recon Pod + Meteors
1x VC10

Mission:
-Package launches from Lubango Airport
-Fly to point 180nmi west of Soyo
-Fire 2x Taurus KEPD on Angolan side of the bridge
-Fly to point 180nmi west of Cabinda while staying out of DRC national waters, (Fly 21nmi west, then 22nmi north, then fly east to weapons release point)
-Fire 1x Taurus KEPD on both of the microwave transmitters
-Fly home while staying out of DRC national waters
-Upon reaching Benguela airport, VC10 is to switch to Refuel Flight Extra
-If the Gripens have Meteors left when reaching Benguela airport, they are to join the CAP. If they don’t they are to land at Lubango for quick turnaround to heavy intercept meteor loadout and then join the CAP
-If the package aborts the mission, the Tornado’s are to release Tauruses on targets of opportunity on the way home

Rules of Engagement:
-Gripens are to turn radars on when leaving radar coverage, will turn them off when back in. Tornado’s and VC10 will not turn on radar.
-Package is to fly in formation, with the Gripens circling around for radar coverage
-Gripens are to engage any bogeys within 75nmi of the formation, unless they are identified as non-combat aircraft. DRC craft are not to be engaged unless shot upon.
-Package is to remain outside of DRC national waters. This restriction is lifted temporarily if prosecuting bogeys.
-In case the Gripens run out of Meteors and IRIS-T’s the package is to abort and RTB.

Objective Non-Agression Principle
Aims to suppress and eliminate dos Santos and Free State ground forces in a general CAS and SEAD campaign, in support of the Free Angolan Forces.

1. CAP
CAP Flight West
2x Gripen
-Meteor heavy intercept
1x F4 Phantom
-A/A AMRAAM heavy

Mission:
-Launch from Menongue airport
-Move to CAP point above Albano Machado airport
-Intercept all bogeys entering exclusion zone 30nmi north of the current borders in the dos Santos sector. Radars turned off
-Gripens RTB for quick turnaround when out of Meteors

CAP Flight East
2x Gripen
-Meteor heavy intercept
1x F4 Phantom
-A/A AMRAAM heavy

Mission:
-Launch from Cassamba airport
-Move to CAP point 20nmi south of Luena airport
-Intercept all bogeys entering exclusion zone 30nmi north of the current borders in the Free State sector. Radars turned off
-Move to mission CAP Flight West if CAP Flight West is depleted

2. RECON AND SUPPORT
EAW Flight
1x Saab S100B

Mission:
-Move to EAW point 20nmi south of Albano Machado airport
-Provide early warning support

Recon Flight LR
1x MQ-9 Reaper

Mission:
-Fly 20nmi the Free Angola-dos Santos line and locate hostile assets
-Fly at 25,000ft AGL, stay 40nmi away from known AA contacts

Recon Flight In-depth
1x Sperwer UAV

Mission:
-Fly along the Free Angola-dos Santos line and locate hostile assets
-Provide buddy lasing as needed
-Fly at 10,000ft, stay 10nmi away from all known AA contacts
-The idea here is to use the Sperwer to cross enemy lines and look for some more targets

Tacjammer Flight
1x EA-6B Prowler
-4x jammers and 1x HARM

Mission:
-Head to Tacjammer point above Albano Machado airport
-Locate hostile assets
-Provide radart jamming support
-Engage hostile SAM batteries with the HARM
-Fly at 30,000ft, stay 40nmi away from all known AA contacts

Refuel Flight
1x KC-135 Stratotanker

Mission:
-Move to Tanker point above Mutumbo
-Provide tanker support

Refuel Flight Extra
1x VC10

Mission:
-Head 30nmi Southeast of Benguela Airport
-Provide tanker support

3. CAS/SEAD/DEEP STRIKE PACKAGES
Kfir Flight
4x Kfir, divided into two flights
-SPICE 1000 loadout

Mission:
-Destroy enemy AA units along the Free Angola-dos Santos line
-If no AA targets available, destroy ground targets
-Fly at 30,000ft AGL, stay 25nmi away from all AA contacts

AMX Flight
2x AMX A-11
-JDAM loadout

Mission:
-Fly at 30,000ft AGL, stay 25nmi away from all AA contacts

Strike Flight
1x SU-25 Frogfoot
-KAB-1500Kr
1x Hawk 209
-Maverick loadout

Mission:
-Fly at 20,000ft AGL, stay 5nmi away from all AA contacts

Mirage Flight
2x Mirage F1.CR
-4x GBU-12 Paveway loadout

Mission:
-Fly at 20,000ft AGL, stay 5nmi away from all AA contacts

Phantom Flight
4x F-4 Phantom II, divided into two flights
-GBU-24 loadout

Mission:
-Fly at 25,000ft AGL, stay 5nmi away from all AA contacts

Gripen Flight
2x Gripen
-GBU-39 SBD loadout

Mission:
-Fly at 30,000ft AGL, stay 50nmi away from all AA contacts
-If depleted, RTB for quick turnaround to Heavy Intercept Meteor loadout, then join West CAP

Deep Strike Flight
2x Saudi Tornado IDS
-2x Storm Shadow

Mission:
-Launch 1 hour into the mission
-Launch 2x Storm Shadow at radar in Calula
-Launch 2x Storm Shadow at FOB near Calula
-Join CAP West
-The idea here is to shoot the cruise missiles after the AA defense has been thinned out.

4.DRAGONSLAYER
DAGRONSLAYER Flight
5x SK60B

Mission:
-Launch 3 hours into the mission, if all known enemy AA has been destroyed
-Destroy ground targets

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Added Space posted:

Loel's plan, incomplete as it is, seems far better since it focuses on clearing a corridor.

Loel's plan is to force a corridor to reach Luanda, but Luanda is entrenched and I don't see a siege working if Luanda is not at least surrounded.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Bacarruda posted:

For those of you who want to take our the bridge and the microwave tower, here's a second option to consider. It's ballsy as hell, but if we're dead-set on blowing up the drat things...

An airstrike could be traced back to us and start a massive diplomatic incident.

If we want to try something a little more covert, we could slip a few grand to these guys. They're a separatist group operating out of Cabinda and I can guarantee they hate the Free State's guts. Might be able to have them truck bomb the bridge and/or the tower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_for_the_Liberation_of_the_Enclave_of_Cabinda

The money could be traced back to us as well.

Plus we'd be funding terrorists

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It will be our Coast of Death :bern101:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I'm tempted to switch some CAP planes to bomb loadouts.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Saros posted:

Oh and planners I would request that you have the Reaper move up ito sanitised airspace instead of remaining on patrol in the same spot the whole time, it's the best thing we have at actually spotting ground troops.

I have the reaper moving along the front! The problem is finding an easy to use definition of sanitized airspace.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 11, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

this is my definite proposal

I've made some significant edits to the plan, they are

-Moved Phantoms off CAP and into CAS
-Switched Saudi and German Tornado's, storm shadows have a range of 210nmi which means they can be fired from international airspace without weird pathing
-Switched the SDB Gripens and the EA-6B into a SEAD strike before the CAS rolls in
-Provided a way for the Spwerwer and Reaper to move up as the battlefield moves

OPERATION DONT CUT THE ROPE

There are two objectives to my plan:

1. General assault on dos Santos forces in support of the push up to Luanda. This should speak for itself. If we can capture Luanda, Free Angola wins the war. I want to prosecute this fairly aggressively, because there's ~180nmi between our current lines and Luanda. We don't have the time needed to play it super safe.

2. Hurt the Free State where it hurts them the most: their supply line (and their communications network). Most/all of their supplies move from Cabinda to Angola by the bridge connecting Soyo and Muanda. And then there are the two microwave transmitter towers in Cabinda itself, used for communication with the rest of Angola. If we blow the bridge and these towers, we'll destroy their supply chain and leave the troops in the field out of contact the HQ in Cabinda. This should effectively cripple the Free State troops in Angola. What this also means is that this op does not include CAS or SEAD flights against the Free State, though it does provide a CAP.

General timeline of the operation
1. CAP flights launch
2. Recon and support flights launch(or are already in the air)(VC10 and EA-6B are exempt from this)
3. SEAD flights launch and attack dos Santos AA assets
4. CAS/DEEP STRIKE flights launch after destruction of AA assets
5. Dragonslayer flight launches

Objective Shadowban

Aims to eliminate the microwave transmitters in Cabinda and blow the bridge between Muanda and Soyo, with the goal of cutting off the Free State armed forces from communicating with the capital, and to sever supplies.

2x Saudi Tornado IDS
-2x Storm Shadow
2x Gripen
-SPK-39 Recon Pod + Meteors
1x VC10

Mission:
-Package launches from Lubango Airport
-Fly to point 210nmi west of Soyo
-Fire 2x Taurus KEPD on Angolan side of the bridge
-Fly to point 210nmi west of Cabinda while staying out of DRC national waters
-Fire 1x Taurus KEPD on both of the microwave transmitters
-Fly home while staying out of DRC national waters
-Upon reaching Benguela airport, VC10 is to switch to Refuel Flight Extra
-If the Gripens have Meteors left when reaching Benguela airport, they are to join the CAP. If they don’t they are to land at Lubango for quick turnaround to heavy intercept meteor loadout and then join the CAP
-If the package aborts the mission, the Tornado’s are to release Storm Shadows on targets of opportunity in Luanda

Rules of Engagement:
-Gripens are to turn radars on when leaving radar coverage, will turn them off when back in. Tornado’s and VC10 will not turn on radar.
-Package is to fly in formation, with the Gripens circling around for radar coverage
-Gripens are to engage any bogeys within 75nmi of the formation, unless they are identified as non-combat or DRC aircraft. DRC craft are not to be engaged unless attacked
-Package is to remain outside of DRC national waters. This restriction is lifted temporarily if prosecuting bogeys
-In case the Gripens run out of Meteors and IRIS-T’s the package is to abort and RTB

Objective Non-Aggression principle
Aims to suppress and eliminate dos Santos and Free State ground forces in a general SEAD campaign, in support of the Free Angolan Forces. This will be followed up by a

1. CAP
CAP Flight West
2x Gripen
-Meteor heavy intercept

Mission:
-Move to CAP point above Albano Machado airport
-Intercept all bogeys entering exclusion zone 30nmi north of the current borders in the dos Santos sector. Radars turned off

CAP Flight East
2x Gripen
-Meteor heavy intercept

Mission:
-Launch from Cassamba airport
-Move to CAP point 20nmi south of Luena airport
-Intercept all bogeys entering exclusion zone 30nmi north of the current borders in the Free State sector. Radars turned off
-Move to mission CAP Flight West if CAP Flight West is depleted

SEAD
Gripen Flight
2x Gripen
-GBU-39 SBD loadout

Mission:
-Fly at 30,000ft AGL, stay 50nmi away from all AA contacts
-If depleted, RTB for quick turnaround to Heavy Intercept Meteor loadout, then join West CAP

Tacjammer Flight
1x EA-6B Prowler
-4x jammers and 1x HARM

Mission:
-Engage hostile SAM batteries with the HARM
-Switch to Tacjammer Support Flight

2. RECON AND SUPPORT
EAW Flight
1x Saab S100B

Mission:
-Move to EAW point 20nmi south of Albano Machado airport
-Provide early warning support

Recon Flight LR
1x MQ-9 Reaper

Mission:
-Move latitude of patrol route up as airspace becomes sanitized
-Fly at 25,000ft AGL, stay 40nmi away from known AA contacts
-The idea here is to use move the Reaper across the border for better recon as targets are cleared

Recon Flight In-depth
1x Sperwer UAV

Mission:
-Provide buddy lasing as needed
-Move latitude of patrol route up as airspace becomes sanitized
-Fly at 10,000ft, stay 10nmi away from all known AA contacts
-The idea here is to use the Sperwer aggressively, as disposable recon

Tacjammer Flight
1x EA-6B Prowler
-4x jammers and 1x HARM

Mission:
-Head to Tacjammer point above Albano Machado airport
-Locate hostile assets
-Provide radart jamming support

Refuel Flight
1x KC-135 Stratotanker

Mission:
-Move to Tanker point above Mutumbo
-Provide tanker support

Refuel Flight Extra
1x VC10

Mission:
-Head 30nmi Southeast of Benguela Airport
-Provide tanker support

3. CAS/DEEP STRIKE PACKAGES
Kfir Flight
4x Kfir, divided into two flights
-SPICE 1000 loadout

Mission:

AMX Flight
2x AMX A-11
-JDAM loadout

Mission:
-Destroy ground targets

Strike Flight
1x SU-25 Frogfoot
-KAB-1500Kr
1x Hawk 209
-Maverick loadout

Mission:
-Destroy ground targets

Mirage Flight
2x Mirage F1.CR
-4x GBU-12 Paveway loadout

Mission:
-Destroy ground targets

Phantom Flight
6x F-4 Phantom II, divided into three flights
-2x Paveway III, 2x AMRAAM loadout

Mission:
-Switch to CAP West

Deep Strike Flight
2x German Tornado IDS
-2x Taurus KEPD

Mission:
-Launch 2x Taurus KEPD at radar in Calula
-Launch 2x KEPD at FOB near Calula
-Join CAP West
-The idea here is to shoot the cruise missiles after the AA defense has been thinned out.

4.DRAGONSLAYER
DAGRONSLAYER Flight
5x SK60B

Mission:
-Launch 3 hours into the mission, if all known enemy AA has been destroyed
-Destroy ground targets

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 11, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I'm going to shamelessly vote to DONT CUT THE ROPE

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Loel posted:

We got a pretty good spread at this point. Our mission planning is getting better :3:

Nah. This is just the first mission where we get to tackle several objectives, but lack the resources to prosecute all of them. This is why we're seeing ~4 different strategic approaches.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Loel posted:

Im banking on the fact that the Free State's troops will be unpaid and leaving soon, making the Free State some white tourists as opposed to an actual force to sit at the table.

Yooper said straight up that if we don't put the hurt on the free state, they're going to continue fighting.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well it doesn't have to be us specifically, just if things go bad for them. So if the Dictator manages to cut off that link to the DRC border (and thus the capital), they'll come on over to us. If things stay as the status quo as far as the Free State is concerned, then they won't jump ship.

This is wishful thinking.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which part?

all of it

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Really? Seems like the Free State is being squeezed pretty hard by the Dictator, and if we push them back while still being a force to be reckoned with, we should be able to keep the pressure on without needing to resort to Shadowban.

Or... the Dictator's troops pull back to the capital because we've been killing all of them before the free state is cut off.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Top of the line stuff because they're super rich american tech companies.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

The Free State money has been disappearing down a black hole, and the corporate overlords suddenly show up with lots of guns and cryptic messages. I wouldn't be surprised if Reddit became major stockholders in a flash of sanity, and now Silicon Valley is coming to lock down what's theirs. So, again, we should be maximally loving the Free State to make it useless, which I think means killing the bridge.

I won't be surprised if the Free State turns out to have been a scam all along and the leadership flees with millions upon millions, never to be seen again.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

In response to criticism about blowing the bridge:

1. The bridge is Angolan property, and it merely passes through DRC national waters
2. The bridge was paid for by the Chinese

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Hexenritter posted:

:) Much appreciated. It sounds like things are about to get very complicated (or for those who give no fucks about diplomacy, very uncomplicated :v: )

Complicated in a different manner. (How do we take down a carrier group)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Dr. Snark posted:

Balls. Hopefully we won't ever be seeing any of those planes over our airspace since we own most of the country's lithium mines now but...gently caress.

We own most of the mines but not most of the lithium. The richest lithium deposits are in dos Santos land right now.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Yooper posted:

Voting Closed

The top three are 15 Votes, 12 Votes, and 10 Votes. I'm thinking of a runoff but I don't want to get bogged down.

You guys have any thoughts?

DONT CUT THE ROPE is obviously the operation you want to do

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

David Corbett posted:

Shame Don't Cut The Rope had the bridge strike - that was the sole reason I didn't vote for it.

If the bridge strike is not to your liking, you can always vote Short Circuit

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Weissritter posted:

In terms of in game statistics, how do the 5th gen fighters match up?

5th gen fighters are very similar in most categories to other recent, western planes. The big difference is that 5th gens are extremely hard to detect with radar, which is the primary way of detecting things in the air, and the only viable option for detection over long range.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Dr. Snark posted:

OH THOSE FUCKERS TOOK CREDIT FOR OUR LUANDA STRIKE THOSE BASTARDS!

THIS WOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED IF WE CUT OFF THEIR INTERNET LIKE I PROPOSED

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Another nice tactical win! And a horrible position strategically! Our push on Luanda is in danger of getting cut off if Free State troops manage to push further west. They're about as far as we are from Luanda, but we know that we're going to face heavy resistance. Free state will probably face significantly less.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Will you give it a rest already? We've sunk civilian ships before and gotten away with it, without even a slap on the wrist.

Same with the Chinese peacekeeping force. They're here to keep the peace, and not to start a war over a bridge that they happened to be paying for (as a roundabout investment into their own economy, as it was built by a Chinese firm).

Nothing will happen militarily if we sink a ship or blow that stupid bridge. We might end up banned from buying weapons or taking NATO/UN contracts but that's it.

But not that it matters now. If we wanted to hand the Chinese a fait accompli, we've missed our chance. Even if we blow the bridge and the towers now, there's no reason anymore for the Free State troops to defect. All they have to do now in case the bridge blows is hold back a bit and wait for hostilities to end, in a week or less. And if the bridge isn't blown there's no way for us to keep them from contesting Luanda, without diverting a significant part of our air force .

Onto Luanda itself. Those bridges are just one problem in the nightmare that is taking a city. Do you remember how long it took, and how many assets it took to capture major cities in DC:B? Well, we're up for that, except we don't have a few months to starve them out. We have a week or less to take it. Liuanda is enterenched now. That means roadblocks, traps, mines, IED's, snipers, mg nests and dug in tanks. Whatever is left of dos Santos' substantial armour and AA forces is now in there and our ground forces have no way to dislodge them.

The only chance we stand at taking Luanda is if we serve as ground pounder on-call for the ground forces. And even then it's a real stretch. The siege will be extremely bloody, block to block fighting.

So I suggest we do the following: we surround and lay siege to Luanda, bomb the Free State into giving up on trying to attack, and rain destruction on Luanda while the ground don't try to force taking the city.

If we do this, dos Santos will be in a situation where he will be barely hanging on to his last stronghold, and ready to accept that his position is untenable if hostilities resume. Free State was always going to have Cabinda, but after last mission they will also a large chunk of land in Angola proper. This is now just inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Davin Valkri posted:

One, when ASMs go radar hot, they lose the ability to distinguish targets. I've seen ASMs that lost lock on the original target (because it was sunk) go on to strike civilian ships on the other side. I believe that's also what happened to Atlantic Conveyor.

If you're not armed and willing to blow up at least one ship of unlucky witnesses, then you shouldn't be doing to begin with. Not with what the morals vote is going to be.