Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Apparently this is going to be completly seperate from the manga and will instead be following its own story (which makes sense given the manga's current release schedule and the fact that the first 9 chapters are just an adaption of the Boruto movie only with worse artwork).

Technically Boruto and Sarada are just the Japanese pronunciations of their actual names (Bolt and Salad). Most translators just seem to leave them as is though (plus spelling them that way also makes them a verbal pun on their parents' names).

Bolt being based off Neji's name which means Screw.

Also for another major character

Orochimaru Came back and helped save the world by summoning all the Dead Hokage during the War. This got him pardoned for his many many many crimes. After this he started his labs up again and continued doing amoral experiments. He swapped to a new body and eventually did find immortality accomplishing the first main step of his dream. He later grew new main cast member Mitsuki in a tube before sending him out on his way to see what would happen. He is also allowed to walk in, out and around in Konoha as if he never did kidnap and murder hundreds of its citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I was under the impression that he was basically under house arrest. And he's actually a better parent than Naruto or Sasuke, in his own...unique way.

He's not it's been shown that he is free to do whatever he wants and maintains multiple labs. He is just not hostile anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

I'm still not convinced that Rock Lee isn't Gai's illegitimate son (they look almost exactly alike and we never do see Lee's family in the series).

Gai is only 13 years older then Lee. Also Lee styles himself after guy. Before he met him only Hair color and large eyebrows were what they had in common.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

The thing that originally gets him on everyone's radar is allying himself with Akatsuki and supposedly kidnapping Killer B, which is why the 4th raikage wants to murder him good.

In terms of actual crimes committed by sasuke, it's killing the samurai and Danzo, the kidnapping, and then attempting to murder Naruto so he can do whatever the gently caress his plan was at the end it made no sense.

He also murdered a guy from the Cloud Village when he went to capture B.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

Sakura did IIRC, it was right after Karen told Suigetsu what the umbilical cord thing was, and they cut back to Konoha.

No it is never correct from what I recall. She never brings it up after figuring it does not matter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

oh then lmao one more episode, which means is probably gonna end with Mitsuki showing that scroll to Kagura, it talking about how Yagura wasn't that bad and the bad poo poo he did was because he was being mind controlled by Madara or some poo poo

He was being mind controlled by Obito under Madara's name but other then that yeah.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

Pretty well if the person is competent. Think explosion sword from Rave.

None of these kids have seen "real" combat. Besides maybe Kisame's kid. They are dumb kids talking big about bringing back an age where they would likely be the ones who die outside of Kagura more than likely.

Is he Kisame's kid or a just a relative.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

Boruto explicitly uses the Gentle Fist fighting style he just doesn't have a Byakugan to let him do the chakra shut down stuff with it.

Well he appeared to have half of one at one point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hidan despite his immortality was probably the weakest of the Akatsuki. Cause if you decapitated or mauled his body to uselessness he was still helpless and could not do anything.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think it was in fact pointed out at one point that Hidan and Kakuzu are stuck together because they kept killing their previous partners, and whilst Hidan isn't particularly capable on his own he's an insanely useful trump card if you can get him to pay attention. I don't think there's a character shown who could actually survive his mutual damage gimmick if he didn't gently caress around.

To be exact Hidan was recruited so he could be Kakuzu's partner, he was the newest member of the group. (After Tobi but he does not really count) Kakuzu would lose his temper and kill his other partners so they gave him a partner he could not kill. If Kakuzu mauled Hidan into uselessness then he could always put him back together. (Guy seemed to have a calm and pragmatic head on him when he did not lose himself to a rage.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Before the Crazy M Sharingan was introduced Kakashi stated he thought the Byakugan was better.

Rinnegan is still the best however.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He was also instrumental to their victory by summoning the Dead Kage and allowing them go fight on the good guys side..

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

In any case he's still under total house arrest and not allowed to leave or do anything besides live in his lab and do experiments that he already has set up, he can't even find new victims he has to hope they come to him.

This is not true. He is stated as having reestablished his Sound Ninja Village as a legitimate one. And has been free to go were he wants when he wants. A leaf Ninja however is almost always spying on his lab or him

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

also, i thought that he figured out how to make clones to use as new bodies?

He did that. But according to Kishi he eventually discovered absolute Immortality and will outlive everyone else.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HitTheTargets posted:

What if Kaworu was a ninja instead of an angel?

What if Ryo had been just a ninja instead of Satan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The villain in the most recent arc is completely reliant on them and is a fairly powerful threat. The Tools are really good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the actual issue was that they were brand new. Only the Leaf had access to a very limited amount of them at the time.

Once they become more widespread I imagine they would be allowed like any other tool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

I rather liked the manga chapter. The strategy they used to take care of Ao made me think back to the early chapters of Naruto.

Yeah that was a really clever use of that sword.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HitTheTargets posted:

Is it specifically loud crying, not just loud generic noises? That seems too niche.

It's a sound wave created by shouting. I assume she will have other variations of it later on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

So why couldn't Naruto have just sent a Shadow Clone to his son's party at the very least? That aside, I like that they're basically remaking the movie from scratch rather than just doing a straight adaption. Which makes sense seeing as Movie Boruto and Series Boruto are almost two completely different characters at this point.

I think in the movie he did send a Shadow Clone which is what pissed him off there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So it looks like they are adding a Third member to Momoshiki's group that was originally intended to make that group a trio, but was cut for time constraints. It also appears that Momoshiki may just be an agent of the Otsutsuki main family. Not it's head or anything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 12, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

To be fair, the living bug swarm thing actually requires practice and training and a lot of personal sacrifice from what we understand. They aren't born like that, they have to specifically become a living bug hive from an early life and cultivate their swarm for their entire lives or be useless. It's like the Inuzuka dogs where sure, they're clan based, but they still need to train and practice and learn to work with their ninja dogs or they're useless. The eyes are probably the only bullshit, and even then it's just the Sharingan and variants because they actually do just outright give you cool powers no extra work required. Whereas the Byakugan on it's own just gives you cool sight, using it effectively in a fight still requires a poo poo-ton of training.

I don't think the base Sharingan gives any extra cool powers, It's only the evolved states. The Byakugan has a broken evolved state too. Kakashi even outright considers the base Byakugan better then the normal Sharingan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

Eternal Mangyeko fixes this as far as I remember, it's just that nobody with Izanagi and Izanami ever got an eternal Mangyeko.

Nah not even Eternal gets over the Eye cost for Izanagi and Izanami.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

Oh yeah I forgot the EMS gave you a more powerful Susano

It does not. Sasuke just evolved his Susano as he became stronger.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

Oh right, I presumed you'd already noticed a character included in this episode who wasn't in the movie. I presume you mean the villain MonsterEnvy noted as being included a page back then? Also, will the conversation between those two Otsutsuki guys on the Moon make sense at some point within the arc? Or am I supposed to know what they were on about already? Cause that poo poo lost me. I didn't read the end of Naruto though, so if it's referencing that then that would be why I suppose.

The Otsutsuki guy that got Frozen was the villain of the last. The guy that attacked him and froze him is the villain that was cut from the movie for time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like yeah give it a year and some more testing and I bet they would allow the Bracers. They are really useful.

But currently they are new, an unfair advantage, and a shortcut.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also it was stated ahead of time not to be allowed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also they have laid the steps for another Ōtsutsuki arc. Urashiki survived and will likely report back to the main family about this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

I've slowly been catching up to the series, after finding Boruto generally insufferable in both his movie and the manga version of the movie.

But this is genuinely good stuff. Team 7 is pretty good. Sarada is an actually likable character, and a hundred times more competent than Sakura ever was, while only having a fraction of the psychological issues that Sasuke had (has?). I also like Boruto much more than the horribly spoiled Brat of his movie depiction. He's still a spoiled brat, but he has redeeming qualities. Mitsuki is also really interesting, and his fixation on Boruto seems paradoxically much healthier than Sakura's infatuation with Sasuke-kun :gag:

The team dynamics are a joy to watch. Boruto's support for Sarada's ambition to become Hokage is such a refreshing change to Sasuke's dismissal of Naruto's wish to become Hokage. And now in the latest episode, I half expected Boruto to quote Kakashi's "rule breakers are trash, but those who abandon their comrades are worse than trash" speech. The contrast to Sasuke going with the Sound 4 is really nice, especially how everybody on Team 7 seems to be much more reasonable (for now, let's hope it holds up.)

The whole series feels a lot like the good parts of early Naruto. The other teams are given quite a bit of screen time. Metal Lee's "anxious fist" is a cool counterpart to Rock Lee's "drunken fist". It's also really nice that they regularly hang out with each other. I don't remember this from Naruto. To be fair, it's more than a decade ago, but the teams usually didn't mix too much outside of ninja school/missions.

The small scale works really well, and the big Otsusuki staff is far weaker. That bullshit flash forward to a destroyed Konoha is actually a detriment to this story. I don't need battles on the level of Obito, Madara or Kaguya any more. Naruto and Sasuke being present in the world doesn't invalidate the small scale challenges Boruto and co. face imho.

I actually liked a lot of Naruto Shippuden, even though I found the Kaguya stuff mostly superfluous. But I'm not sure I want to see a world where Naruto doesn't die of old age. How ridiculous do the enemies have to be to beat Nine-Tails Sage Mode and the Rinnegan? As ridiculous as Momoshiki, which this anime doesn't need. I'm not opposed to a time skip and a power level creep for Boruto, but I hope the story takes it's time and doesn't escalate the threat to the point where ninja are again casually dropping meteors on people.

To be fair Momoshiki getting his face blasted by the invisible Rasengan was great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also these guys unlike the Sound 4 are sympathetic in a way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The villains are becoming more sympathetic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

It's not bad, though the emo kid is getting on my nerves.

Which one is that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well that's creepy apparently a component of Mitsuki's is a human heart taken from a living human.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly the Scientist working with Ohnoki was not that bad, he had no ulterior motives and honestly believed in Ohnoki's ideals. I don't even think he knew that Ku had imprisoned Ohnoki and that he was doing the heart work without his blessing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torrannor posted:

I understand "not that bad" is relative, and people like Orochimaru or Madara are in a different league. But the scientist came up with the solution to the deteriorating condition the artificials suffered from: Murder people to implant their heart into Ku and co. That's very much "bad".
Well yeah, but that was the only way he could see from researching Mitsuki of how to increase their lifespans. And he still did not go through with it until ordered to by Ku. I would paint him as amoral, like how Ohnoki was, viewing it as a sacrifice for the greater good. Ohnoki himself only put his foot down with stealing the hearts of the Stone Villagers. He viewed the deaths of the Leaf Villagers they had killed as a necessary evil, and I would view him as the same as Ohnoki without the attachment to the stone villagers.

my parents boyfriend posted:

I think he was the one manipulating Onoki, mostly, and he seemed to know that he was taking advantage but he's nowhere near as bad as Orochimaru who everyone kind of is turning a blind eye to. Though they both seem to have similar motives (science!)

If he was, I don't he would have been murdered by Ku while trying to help him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

I believe Sakura still works at the hospital as well. Hinata's the only one that really just seems to be a stay at home mom now (possibly Temari as well).

Also in regards to next week's episode: it seems the writers finally remembered that Kiba and Tenten exist.

Temari is an active Ninja who seems to do a lot of field work.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth TNT posted:

I know it's not Boruto but:
It's definitely not alcohol!

The gently caress.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

can't wait to get home and crack open an ice cold potion with the boys

That's bizarre. Wasn't the original manga explicit about it being sake? I don't even remember the anime censoring it

I recall the anime presenting it as booze in the dub.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kashin Koji is also much younger looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kashin Koji is named for a folklore magician/ninja. Kashin Koji is also notably the villain of Nioh 2.

Don't know much about the mythical Kashin Koji, but he was a trickster if I recall.