Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
When do they start explaining 2B's "Emotions are forbidden" line?

Because it sure doesn't seem anyone else got that memo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I heard there's gonna be a cross-promotional with Gravity Rush 2.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

No spoilers, just my "headcannon" based on the stuff on this board.

What makes me laugh, is the image in my head how a gajillion years ago when this invasion started, the aliens at their homeworld were listening to the transmissions of what was going on; got to "Robots took over and started their own society" and went NOPE and cancelled all reinforcements, shut down all ftl drives, stargates, etc, and wrote the entire Solar System off as a Yoko Taro-level Disaster Area.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Okay, I have a question. Dark Id will probably answer this after.

How does "Death" and "Endings" match up? Okay, obviously if you die and because of it the Machines destroy everything, that ending didn't "count" but in story, what should happen is 2B's consciousness goes back to the base, and she rebuilds her body, right?

Does death by mackerel interfere with this giving 2B final death? In universe, is 2B going to go back to Jackass and get a reward, or will we go back in time and refuse; having never eaten the fish in the first place?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

Episode XXVII: In the Name... OF SCIENCE!

I’ve seen people be baffled as to how they progress here for Jackass’ quest as they kept eating the fish and dying. You... just don’t eat the fish, you drat idiot! The same fish you have to open the menu, which defaults to Quick Save the second you open it because you’re in a save zone, to tab over to the Item menu and manually eat said fish. There are a lot of trollish things in this game I won’t defend. You managing to not save for hours and get a bad ending eating that fish? That’s just entirely on you being a goddamn idiot! A huge loving moron. You should be put in a registry that bars you from handling heavy machinery or procreating if that gag got you and you bitched about it on the internet. That’s something that should come up in a background check so I know to toss that resume in the garbage immediately due to extreme incompetence.

ANYWAY, beyond the aborted fish experiment, Jackass also has a proper sidequest if you don’t eat the mackerel like a moron again.

I'm in a Dark Id Post! :neckbeard:

The Dark Id posted:

Here, look at this. See this reaction? It proves that android brains contain an algorithm which allows them to derive pleasure from battle! Without that, we’d probably have stopped fighting a long time ago. What a brutally efficient piece of evolution! It’s possible this is based on an identical pleasure center in the human brain. Man, those fleshbags really were something!

This? Right here? Is the start of a LOT of Nier Automata smut. Not that the internet needed help, mind you.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

I’m going to feel terrible telling that woman what happened to her friend.
It’s the truth. She has to know.
No matter what that truth actually is?

Ellipses! I'm sure keeping secrets about the Awful Truth will not bite any of the main characters in the rear end in a Drakengard/Nier game!

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

The most disquieting robot series I've ever read is the Not Quite Human books by Seth McEvoy. They're about a robot named Chip whose scientist creator is sending him to school to see if he can learn how to be human.

Pretty cliché, yes. But the scary thing is Chip DOES NOT HAVE EMOTIONS. And this is scary in a subtle way, because it never becomes horror. I didn't even realize this until rereading the books. He follows his programming to try and emulate humans, he measures responses, behaves in ways they seem to approve. Sometimes makes mistakes; but it's always stated that he only thinks about whether his programming "pretend to be a human" is successful or not.

And we see his scientist creator and said creator's daughter treat him like family, and people at school do. But we, the audience, see his thinking, and he never considers them that except "that's what my programming says they should be called". So by the end of the series, he's good at acting like human, but inside, he's still the same, still ONLY interested in following his programming.

To this day, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.

Disney made a few movies about this, but they go the usual Pinocchio route and he really does start thinking like a human.

Of course, that has nothing to do with Nier Automata, because both machines and androids have emotions.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

9S: Hey, let's fix this robot to find out stuff!
2B: Do we have to?

:later:

9S: ...well, I suppose we could find out more, but it would be boring.
2B: We should find out as much as we can, for science.

2B only cares that 9S is NOT enjoying himself.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Zomborgon posted:

They're on loan from Cowboy Bebop.

Isn't that the Gazel Ministry?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

....this actually could BE Dragon Quest canon, folks.

Consider Dragon Quest Builders, ie, Square-Enix doing Minecraft. This story could totally be the main character, or maybe the main character's father. And yes, it turns dark.

It's an Alternate Universe of the first Dragon Quest game where instead of defeating the Dragonlord, the Hero joined him at the very end. You are a carpenter. You are '''not'' the hero. You do not gain levels. A god tells you can't be the hero. Just try and keep humans alive until another Hero comes.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Kaptain posted:

Which can be read here: http://theworsttale.tumblr.com/
Unfortunately, there's no story involving child murder yet.

http://theworsttale.tumblr.com/post/161629541991/weapon-story-harp-of-the-strange-bird ...you weren't looking hard enough.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I like how A2 has Bravely Default "No time to explain or else I'm too upset" disease. "You betrayed us! Why?" "They betrayed you!" "....what? How?" "Nah, I'm out" :magically flutters off:

Really? You can't shout one nugget of info they can verify? Heck, if I was a rebel android, I'd be filling up microchips with my manifesto and hurl it dramatically at anyone who asks.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Forget it, Jake, it's Yoko Taro Town.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Giant heads, eh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

"We could check out the energy reactions generated during battles. The fusion reactors of androids and machine lifeforms shut down when they’re destroyed. And we can detect the energy released during the process."

That seems too useful for derailing the plot. I'm curious if this ever comes up again (no spoilers, please.) or if this is a one-time technobabble thing.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

The Dark Id posted:

So begins the Culinary Research quest. That’s right, everyone. It’s time to go bend nature too our will. With murder! The way god intended it. Or something like that!

Caim approves.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I get the impression that unless you're VERY careful, backups get replaced by 6Os Eleventy Googleplexbytes pictures of cats.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I'd forgotten how Adam cranks up the ham and the crazy to 11 in this part. It's great.

Honest Trailers: "And their evil masters, the most ANIME Robots ever created!"

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Religious nerd here. "become as gods" was worded that way because of the King James translation of Genesis 3:5. When the serpent tempts Eve to eat the Apple.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

and Genesis 3:22

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us"

Remix, and we get "Become As Gods"

Yeah, this is where Xenogears got it too.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

So wait....Jean Paul was named Jean Paul BEFORE the aliens even found Earth? And he was still connected to the network?

....or did he find Earth, disconnect from the Network, and then form a dynasty of douche robots?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

So, that magic sword. Wasn't all magic removed? Granted, the "turn black with red eyes and gravity powers" indicates they missed a lot of spots.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

I'll bet the aliens invaded, were repelled by Emil. Then at some point they captured an Emil head and analysed him and his magic. They created the machine lifeforms using that information which were corrupted because all Drakengard magic is evil stuff and the aliens weren't very competent. Hence the black scrawl Adam...or was it Eve?

The thought that Caim dieing somehow destroyed 2 civilisations is pretty funny.

Not 2, 3. It's implied that they shove the Maso back in time to the Drakengard universe. That's where it came from; a circular paradox.

So he destroyed Earth, the Aliens, and his own world. Or at least was the vector.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Mundetiam posted:

gently caress, finally replying to this thread for the first time in months, because, even after playing every DrakenNier multiple times in the last 7 years, the Wandering Couple quest was perhaps the most feelsbadman.jpg moment I think I've ever experienced in them.

Like, you ever get such a bad feeling in your gut you feel nauseous? I think this is the first thing in a game that gave me that.

Ugh.

Reading too much Warhammer 40k (Except Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) does that to me.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

The Nier level in Kingdom Hearts 5.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

So...if that baby has a consciousness, it's been doing NOTHING but stare at the sky for 128 years. But it has no functions to move or talk. MAYBE it can hear its subjects talk.

And we've established that machines can go crazy.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Wipfmetz posted:

There’s no actual reasoning behind anything machines do.

That's actually the theme. The androids and the machines are only doing things because humans did; but exaggerating the absurdity and nihilism by removing all context.

It's Seinfeldian, really. Yoko Taro is basically going "What's the deal with X, why would we want to do this? Because our parents did?"

Just with more death and grim weapon stories.

.....now that I think about it, Seinfeld needed grim weapon stories.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

FrankZP posted:

This is not a rational risk to take in the sense of perpetuating the deception at any cost, but if you consider her mental well-being

I have yet to see anyone behave rationally in a Yoko Taro game. It's like Evangelion, really. If anyone acted in a rational way, the plot would not have happened. Therefore NOBODY can ever act rationally.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

The storm that has been coming....

IS HERE

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

We're now in uncharted territory for me, I knew about the Logic Virus and humanity being extinct, but I'm haven't heard what happens after this.

Which means I can speculah without guilt!

So ultimately, I suspect we're seeing the Reset Button that keeps the war going. Some side starts to win too much (or humanity being extinct becomes common knowledge); they go crazy and kill themselves. The survivors rebuild without the knowledge that lead to the trigger.

Repeat ad nauseum for millennia.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

still waiting for my caim plushie

I have a Kyuubey plushie.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

So A2 just murdered the Forest King because she felt like murdering robot babies? Not freeing him from the hell of only staring at the sky for centuries because his followers were stupid?

....yeah, that sounds about right.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

I told you 2B was [REDACTED], and now you can see that she really is [REDACTED]. And I refuse to believe otherwise with such irrefutable proof.

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

...there's a Japanese Stage Play where Sailor Moon fights Dracula.

Edit: Wait, did I say "a?" I meant MULTIPLE.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 13, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Maybe A2 and 2B are the program, or "sisters" the same way Adam and Eve were.

I was about to type this wouldn't include android orgies....but....:yokotaro:

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Don'tbecreepy.jpg

So Yoko Taro wouldn't do this?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Now I want a WWYTD wrist band.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots: THE REVENGE

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

"That’s the less decent option. We’re not doing that one... "

There's an ethical and philosophical argument. If indeed deleting memories is killing the self, is there truly a difference?

That said, is there the option to do nothing and just leave Pascal to his memories? Would he commit suicide himself?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

We've seen robots kill themselves before, though.

This isn't a "I Cannot Self-Terminate" situation. Pascal just doesn't want to make the decision themself.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Zoe posted:

Just caught up on the last two updates.

This was genuinely horrifying and yet I couldn't stop laughing.

But holding Devola and Popola's monumental screw up against all the other androids who just happen to look like them even several thousand years later seems a bit unfair. It does leave me wondering just what version of the Gestalt/Replicant stuff the current androids all got though, it seems they'd mostly have been concerned with the aliens and the safety of the imaginary humans on the moon.

No one STOPS!! It's way too late to STOP! No one... STOOOOOPS!!

• Locked thread