Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I own both Nier: Automata and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Come at me :colbert:

(:bisonyes: I've been waiting for this LP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why won't 2B straighten up her crooked blindfold?

it's a deliberate homage to Papa Nier's eyepatch from Nier 1.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: Eh yeah, TDI will probably cover it.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 4, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

In my defense, I momentarily lost sight of myself out of sheer excitement of TDI playing this game :negative: I apologize profusely.
It wasn't a terribly spoilery thing and like 85% of people playing the game will never even notice it, anyway.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The debUnked ending is my favorite :mmmhmm: Just for the mental image of the commander standing straight as a board, tumbling end over end into deep space, with a ">:c" on her face.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 4, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I deliberated over that self-destruct option for about half an hour when I first played. Should I leave it off? Is someone going to try and blow me up in the future and I need it to be off to not die? Or will circumstances call for another tactical suicide later, and I'll regret not being able to explode?

These are the kind of over-analytical panics we force ourselves into when we know Yoko Taro is at the wheel :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Alavaria posted:

And then we'd get like the shinbone of the giant robot as a heavy weapon and that's the weapon story.

Nonsense!
It would join us as a party member, piloted by the amalgam-ghost of all 20 kids simultaneously :shepface:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

i mean we can just print out another one of him why would it matter :jerkbag:

It doesn't matter if you can just print out a new one to replace them, seeing your buddies die still sucks. Especially if it's for the thousandth time- and, if like 9S here, they might not have their memories 'up to date' when they get rebuilt, so they aren't the buddy they were when they died.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Neopie posted:

I've said it once, I'll say it again. The McElroy Brothers are not experts, and their advice should never be followed.

Not emptyquoting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

TDI actually asks and thanks people for pointing out his spelling errors, sooo

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The game loving tells you fifty times THERE IS NO AUTO SAVE, DO IT MANUALLY.

I've still heard no end of bitching about it :suicide:

I love that you can do the Terminator 2 chip-removal scene on yourself, though :mmmhmm:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 10, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Why do they need to retrieve black boxes?
We detonated ours in an enormous fusion reaction, and we were rebuilt just fine. :raise:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, this av is a little eh. Can't we bring back the Yonah one, since this is a Nier game? That one was a good av :unsmith:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

This loving part :allears: this is when I fell in love with the game in general and Dark Lord Taro all over again.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I used Fang of the Twins for almost my entire first playthrough. It's absurdly powerful for how early you can find it, and the upgrade materials for it some of the more common ones.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I got like 90% of the way through the first Lords of Shadow before a bug stopped my playthrough on my previous computer (turns out you literally cannot kill one of the bosses if your computer hardware isn't above the minimum required specs :shepicide: The trap you need to lead them into just will not stay open long enough for you to force them into it!) and I never touched more than the demo of 2, but I would greatly enjoy seeing those.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Well, he's already got the shadow clone jutsu down

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

In NieR news, I managed to power through a ton of story. I'm interested how Id tackles a side quest he brought up earlier, since I found a way to beat it fairly easy entirely on accident. No movement speed chips required.

Can you PM me this method? I think know the exact sidequest you're talking about and that loving quest nearly broke my controller, but I did it the intended way :shepicide: Please PM me this easier method so I can scream at myself for not realizing it sooner.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I'm at work or I'd look up the specifics of it again, but basically incompetent programming meant lower end video card framerates would throw the QTE timing off so you'd run out of time to mash the buttons to force him in before the trap reset itself :shepface:

Now that I've a GTX 970, I could probably do it no problem, but I lost that save with the migration to the new computer and :effort: at playing through the game again. The mood will take me again eventually. Maybe.

E: it was acknowledged by Konami themselves with basically a "welp, upgrade your drivers and hope for the best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" when i went looking for workarounds, that much I remember clearly.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 23, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I only request that you at least vaguely think about looking into making it a subtitled LP. Being deaf screwed me out of a lot of conversations in Automata, it seems, and it screws me out of watching many things still.

I had no idea the machines chanted THIS CANNOT CONTINUE all the while making the robowomb, for example.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

For not having one, Adam is kind of a dick

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Geostomp posted:

I'm starting to think that 9S is more of a hindrance than help. He's demanding all these unnecessary fights and ignoring the whole "investigation" angle of this mission.

He's investigating! INVESTIGATING WITH HIS SWORD! :black101: 9S is kind of stupid

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Everyone stands around. I let it sit for 15 minutes before saying "gently caress it", so unless I was Trolled By Cavia out of an ending where you leave entirely instead of hanging around, it's pretty much a But Thou Must kind of deal.
It is a But Thou Must kind of deal; the rock covering the new exit doesn't fall away until you stab him 'til the copy comes out and starts screaming the place down.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Plus "you could just not play :smug:" makes you sound like a twat.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Yes, it's an option.
That doesn't mean it's not really loving stupid. We didn't spend money on this poo poo to not play it. It doesn't sound ~deep and meaningful~.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

But I want to sound ~deep and meaningful~ when talking to people!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Shut the gently caress up about Spec Ops its not funny anymore and nor was it ever funny

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That Yonah weapon story :unsmith:

E: It was one of the first 5 things I fished out of the sewer, too; and it cemented me fishing absolutely everywhere I had the opportunity after that, on the off-chance that somewhere else had a weapon to be fished up.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 25, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I almost guarantee you that whatever your mental image of it is, you are wrong.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

apocalypticCritic posted:

I'm pretty sure they actively reference both protagonists. Hell, in this very update, the Pipe references Papa!Nier, the spear references Brother!Nier. So... basically everything happened in canon. Including the contradictory things.

Especially the contradictory things.

Given that Drakengard 3 basically established that the multi-verse is a thing, I'm okay with both Papa Nier and Brother Nier being canon.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Unless directly stated otherwise, every single person we interact with is either an android or a machine.
"What's the difference?..."
"SHUT UP THERE'S A DIFFERENCE OKAY"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Gothic-lolita dresses for the ladies and shorts for the boys do not strike me as terribly efficient combat gear, but hey, what do I know.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

E: wrong thread! Been a while since that happened; what the gently caress, SA Last Read?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I didn't kill Party Tank but entering this area is when I learned that setting 9S to anything but Neutral or Passive is a really really bad idea because he flipped the gently caress out and attacked everything around the statue as soon as we entered :cry: I'm sorry! I just wanted to join the party! You sit outside and think about what you've done you, 9S, you horrible little racist.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Man, being deaf really robs me of a lot of the experience of playing this game, doesn't it :(

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

KamikazePotato posted:

Sorry man. The Nier games might have the best sound design I've heard in gaming so it's natural that people would talk about it. If you're in this thread though, you probably enjoyed it enough regardless, so hey.

I can still play the game via reading the subtitles, and I love it to pieces, I'm just sad that I miss all these little nuances.

Glazius posted:

Machine emotions can overwhelm android emotions, so it's better just to deny emotion flat-out than let it end you? Maybe?

Which further raises the question of "what is, in fact, the difference between androids and machine" :v:

":argh:"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

"But Disneyland is the happiest place on earth!", said no one who has actually worked there

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Adnor posted:

TDI after the stream.

TDI's next av spotted. "THIS poo poo IS ALL CONNECTED!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Just because they're not made of meat (and given what we saw of 9S's limbs in the prologue, they've still got plenty of organic bits!) doesn't mean their emotions, thoughts, ect aren't every bit as valid.

Yes, it's you. :slick: You are the robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Looks like a human, talks like a human, thinks and feels and hopes like a human. Isn't human? I CAN'T POSSIBLY EMPATHIZE WITH THIS

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread