Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I don't know how or why.
But I think I'm going to cry.
Cause we're stuck here, once again.
On Taro Yoko's wild ride.

Also nthing that this game is amazing and absolutely worth every dollar I spent on it. It's nuts to think that the guy who made Drakengard went on to make this, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Didn't he say something similar about Drakengard 3. I guess that kinda had a happy ending.

Everyone died or turned into birds but hey, at least the world was saved, right? :shepface:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

bman in 2288 posted:

Still following along with this despite not having the game. Have a question:

Are the resistance members Androids, or are they human?

They're all androids. Unless the game explicitly says otherwise, it's best to assume everyone we meet is an android of some fashion.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I fished all of like once and completely ignored the fishing encyclopedia. Clearly that was a mistake. :stare:

loving android PETA and robo-fish, only in a Yoko Taro game folks!

Also while I wont say the fishing minigame in Deadly Premonition was any good it was certainly, uh, memorable.

PurpleXVI posted:

So can 9S actually die or get crippled or is there any reason not to just tell him to mess up enemies as soon as you're in a battle? Also it's a shame Accord doesn't show up.

Pretty sure he's invincible, I think the worst that can happen is he gets knocked off a cliff or something in which case he'll just respawn in a second or two.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The dead body buffs are great but there are def. a couple situations where the mood is, uh, "compromised" when you're ankle deep in dead PC corpses in a boss arena while a bad guy is trying to monologue at you

Some of my favorite moments in Dark Souls are walking into a boss arena and seeing the floor coated in bloodstains so that sounds more like a plus to me.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I can hear it pretty clearly and I had the sound turned pretty low. I guess 24 isn't that old after all!

Anyways, welcome to Jackass. :allears:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I hate sand bots. They're coarse and rough and they get everywhere.

Edit: At least the aliens didn't populate the area with robot wolves. I'm not sure YoRHa is prepared to handle a foe that powerful.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I really wasn't sure what to expect when I played through this game for the first time. Apocalypse babies, mass child murder, a giant skeleton monster eating one of my party members.

I sure as gently caress wasn't expecting "literal robot orgy, followed by childbirth".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Blind Sally posted:

i don't even know why anyone in this thread is surprised by Yoko Taro anymore

I try, I really do, but he just keeps finding new and exciting ways to gently caress with my sensibilities. Like how else are you supposed to react when you're running along, playing a fairly normal character action game when suddenly you wander into a (g-rated but still) full on orgy?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Fun fact, one of the very first games ever released by Nintendo was a horse racing simulator!

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 23, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I like how you can tell all the machines are just variations of the same few designs with more bits strapped to them or swapped out for other bits. They're like homicidal alien Lego men!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
CAAAAAAAN
YOUUUUUUUUU
DIG IIIIIIIIIT!?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

HR12345 posted:

The Pascal on the bottom right is all "Girlfriend you don't wanna go there, mmhmm!"

Old Man Pascal but with the exact same voice as his current version.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Junpei posted:

What does "Aji wo kutta" mean in English?

I. Hear. A. Fish.

Edit: Not even Platinum can escape from the shadow of the Red DudesTM

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
This is your brain on Yoko.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Sage Grimm posted:

Modularity! :science:

Also the reason why the stacked column stubbies (I guess they aren't stubby anymore, tallies?) are my favourite.

What I want to know is, where did they put the ball-head on the Engels units?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Apropos of nothing; Id, what were your thoughts on Resident Evil 7?

On a more topical note, I tried to refuse that guy an embarassing number of times before I finally realized there was no other way to resolve that quest.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Yeah, no matter how you slice it the whole situation is incredibly hosed up. The fact that there are so many ways it could have gone down in the end but we never find out exactly how just makes it even worse.

Props to Yoko Taro for finding new and exciting ways to make players feel uncomfortable for 14+ years! :shepface:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The Dark Id posted:

Here's a better look at Child and Mother Machine. Most side quests for machine dinguses unlock their entries in the Intel menu. There's also a Father Machine. He's got a suit and a beard spray painted on.

I never noticed the tiny little face on the mom's apron before. :3:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I wonder what Sarte would have thought if he had lived long enough to see a crazy Japanese video game developer make a sidequest entirely devoted to calling him an rear end in a top hat.

The Dark Id posted:

Hmm... not the best paint job we’ve seen. She should really go ask the Machine family for some pointers... But, that’s none of our business. Let’s hear what she has to say about Jean-Paul for... wait, why are we doing this again...?

Is she wearing a loving Ring Pop on her finger?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Begemot posted:

The end! No moral.

I'm not emptyquoting this, no sir!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Ironically, the machine adaptation of Hamlet ends with no one dying!

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Good to see that this pile of CRT monitors has been getting work after Persona 4.

Well this place is apparently a mirror that reflects the true self. :tinfoil:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
When I got to this scene in my playthough I just had the biggest loving grin on my face the whole time.

Its amazing how much a 10,000 year old disembodied head is apparently capable of!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
This is one place where Emil can actually come in handy if you don't already have a few speed chips on hand. Just buy a few from him, make a new loadout of nothing but speed chips and go to town.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

ultrafilter posted:

Playing the original Drakengard was an incredible experience and I'm glad I did it, but yeah, it's a terrible game. It's much better to read through the LP and just marvel at the fact that it ever existed, let alone launched a franchise.

TWO franchises! :shepface:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Zonko_T.M. posted:

One of the links to that first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8vmCNL0Gs
GODS REBOUNDED BY RULES

Grun looks prettty goofy standing up, like a tall and bendy Stubby. It feels more congruous with the rest of the machines than Engels does. Or the Amazing Anime Twins...

Speaking of Engeles, you can see a bunch of cranes and random construction equipment sticking out of his back. I always assumed Grun was basically a bunch of Engeles stuck together, which would fit in pretty well with the modular, mix-and-match design philosophy most of the other machines share.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
So on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Pascal and 10 being Caim, where would you all say Adam ranks on the Murdometer right now?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Become. As. Gods.

The_Final_Stand posted:

become as gods. become as gods.

megane posted:

b e c o m e a s g o d s (ha) b e c o m e a s g o d s (ho) b e c o m e a s g o d s

Oblivion4568238 posted:

BECOME AS GODS! BECOME AS GODS!

GimmickMan posted:

becomeasgodsbecomeasgods.

What they said. :v:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Explosions posted:

Will this LP explain what a Watcher tattoo implies? They're, like... the divine power behind the world-ruining salt monsters in the first Nier's backstory?

edit: and I guess Eve has red eyes now. OK I think I get what we're supposed to be picking up, even without having read the Drakengard LPs.

You see that picture above the highlight reel link?

Basically that.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Apparently androids are very bouncy, which I guess is pretty useful if you really want to drop a rocket on someone from orbit.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

vdate posted:

:perfect:

Oh yeah, there was an update too! Something about Eve with his crazy-virus tattoo job here (especially in the earlier stages) gives me serious SMT vibes. Maybe it's that Eve looks a bit like Akihiko doing his best Demi-Fiend impression.

I was thinking more along the lines of Digital Devil Saga, the SMT spin-off about virtual super soldiers that get turned into demons that have to eat each other or go insane.

SMT gets a bit weird sometimes.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

KamikazePotato posted:

I can't really think of another RPG villain with the exact motivation that Eve has. With that said, his design makes him seem more generic than he is.

Wasn't that basically what the plot of Dirge of Cerberus boiled down to? I don't really remember much about that game other than the Gackt cameo at the end and the fact that it sucked.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
FFT had actual loving behelits in it so it's alright in my book!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

END ME SCOOB posted:

This was not the first time it had occurred, but it was the first time the game's use of music and yanking it away really hammered home a moment.

Yeah for those of you who didn't watch the highlight reel (why would you do this!?) the music completely stops the instant 2B stabs Eve. It really helps sell the the idea that something big is going/about to go down.

Also geez 2B that was a, uh, interesting position you took when you were choking out 9S back there.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 29, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Psycho Knight posted:

Peak oil my rear end.

Seriously though, do the machines/androids just have an incredible recycling program? I would have assumed that 11,000 years or so of sustained world-wide warfare between a machine/alien race and androids would leave the planet a little tapped on particular resources.

A wizardroid did it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Man the rest of YoRHa really must stuck if they can't stand up to the might of like four to six Engles without 9S backing them up.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
SWATTING (Fortresses of) LIES IN THE MAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I knew about the additional hacking options but I had no idea you had to sneak up on them to get it to work. I figured it was just RNG or you had to hack them super fast or something.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The Dark Id posted:

That ending is actually kind of a pain in the rear end to do because you need to systematically murder EVERY single machine in the entire village, including all the weird raised platforms and over where Jean-Paul was hanging out and on the ground. Also, the machines will briefly turn invincible if not one-shot while screaming for you to stop and not murder them. You've really got to work on being a genocidal piece of poo poo. :v:

Wait, if the ending doesn't pop till you kill everyone but you still kill Pascal then how the hell do you even progress? Are you just locked in at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I guess we should just count our blessings that nobody got horribly murdered this time, right? :shepface:

Anyways with the way this quest is set up and plays out I kinda wonder if this was meant to be another route B exclusive quest and someone hosed up a trigger flag or something.

• Locked thread