Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Blitzed through all 89ish pages today, thanks to not realizing TDI had already started this up. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the rest of the game given that patented TDI touch, and the shenanigans that will ensue.

On a sidenote, could Jackass be TDI's spirit android?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Ahhh, my favorite sidequest in the game. Truly, a masterful take on the classics.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

White Coke posted:

Do we ever get to see how the Forest Knights' mounts are trained?

My money's on losing a coin flip.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Well, it IS a Yoko Taro game. Makes sense we'd have at least one BS sidequest a la the drat pink moonflowers or the Wayward Son.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Grün might make for a slog in terms of gameplay, but dang if the music and cinematic quality doesn't make up for it.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

ImpAtom posted:

So was Mikhail and everyone loved him.

Yes, but Mikhail was a precious singing dragon who ate insane clone flower women. Adam is a machine that loves making his face venture into the Uncanny Valley and has a boner for the literal concept of hatred.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Aw gently caress that wasn't yeast that was Watchers powder!

Bake not at 350 degrees Fahrenheit the Watchers. Lalalalala!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
C was the Dragon Apocalypse, D was Annoying Little Child drops a gigantic Hershey's Kiss on a good chunk of the world, trapping everyone in eternal torment as time is locked away. Which is marginally better than letting the Grotesquerie Queen run around, I guess?

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
They accomplished the mission! With a...0% survival rate, technically.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
The entire sequence for starting up Route C is amazing, right down to finally showing the opening credits to the game 20 hours in. Everything beforehand was just a warm-up, and now we're getting to the main event! And of course we get a moment where Yoko Taro punishes us for being completionists by giving 60 a brief moment of lucidity before blowing right the hell up with the rest of the Bunker and YoRHa.

Side note, Automata continues the trend of having side characters with fantastic voice actors. Listening to the Commander's voice tremble up until she gives her final order to 2B and 9S brings back memories of Ursula/the Lighthouse Lady from the original NieR and how much her performance during that side quest made me bawl.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Pretty sure the shades in NieR were mostly black and yellow.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
There's also the moment when Devola and Popola, the two friendliest and most supportive folks in the village, being revealed as the Shadowlord's caretakers and forcing you into a fight to the death and blew up Emil.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Didn't help that Shadowlord threw a wrench into when he said "hell with this" and just kidnapped Yonah.

Grimoire Noir was just a massive, massive jackass.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Throwing my support to the Next Boss Can Go Right To Hell faction. gently caress that centipede-ish bastard.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

euphronius posted:

Man I hope this game turns around mood wise . This is a bummer

We have such sights to show you.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

exploded mummy posted:

Look at it this way

It can't get any worse

Oh, my sweet summer child.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I love the fact that the only thing that could take Caim down was a goddamn missile straight into his face, followed by a terminal velocity drop as he was flung from his dragon.

To be fair, what probably did him in was Angelus getting hit by the missile and then getting impaled by Tokyo Tower. Given that this is Caim we're talking about, I don't know if a missile would be enough to kill him.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

The Dark Id posted:

New Music: The Tower
(You should listen to this. It’s the final dungeon theme.)

Ahhh, one of my favorite ambient tracks from the game, right up there with the amusement park pre-Machine Zombie Apocalypse.

So, is it just me or do Yoko Taro's villains tend to be massive trolls? We had Manah, Grimoire Noir, the Flower, and now the Machine Network. Technically Gismor too I guess, but who wants to remember Drakengard 2?

e:

exploded mummy posted:

It can't get any worse.

Oh, my sweet summer child. This is a Yoko Taro game we're talking about - it can always get worse.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
This is one of the fights I didn't do on my first file, and hearing Emil sound so down in the dumps afterwards makes me wonder whether or not I should. I don't wanna make the Best Boy™ sad!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

...! posted:

Emil deserved it. Retribution for the Aerie. :colbert:

But everyone in the Aerie save for that one shopkeeper in Kaine's backstory who was probably dead by that point was an rear end in a top hat. Emil Did Nothing Wrong.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Carpator Diei posted:

Danmaku against the Watchers.

Deathbomb not the Watchers.
Capture not the spell cards of the Watchers.
Graze not the Watchers.
Time out not the Watchers.

Lalalala!

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
I'm just gonna go with the theory that the Network is a dick. Kinda makes you wonder how Eve was such a good kid, until the whole "revenge murder the world" bit.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.

DeliciousCookie posted:

Yeah, I'm going to agree that video was weird and creepy. I also have no idea what the point of it was.

It’s just accessing random nonsensical data from the old world. There’s no actual meaning behind anything machines do.

Jeeze, Plato took a page out of Beepy's book with that power. Though it was less "bring enlightenment to everyone before blasting off into space" and more "complete obliteration of the surrounding area". Between him and Grȕn, I'm getting the feeling the Machine Network isn't so good at developing experimental weapons and having them not go berserk.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Certainly not the first time that this game made me cry, but Ending E was certainly the emotional climax to Yoko Taro's Wild Ride: Automata. I can't remember where I wound up getting reinforcements, but I do know my tears were flowing when "DO YOU THINK GAMES ARE SILLY LITTLE THINGS" popped up.

By the by, the location section of your final message does have some locations taken from the Taro universe, such as the original NieR. Being the sap I am for that game, I chose the Forest of Myth as my location. "We're not that different, you and I. If that's the case, we should be able to get further."

Thank you, truly, for making an amazing LP, The Dark Id. It was one hell of a ride!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks again for a great LP, TDI!

And now we shall all lock together and become as archives.

• Locked thread