Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Snark posted:

...You do know that this is a DrakeNier game, right? This poo poo is par for the course.

My statement was simply meant as a neutral observation, not amazement or something else, and I was curious how deep the trolling went in this particular case.

I have reposted the old Trolled by Cavia image a couple times; after all, being trolled is a very important part of the DrakeNier experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

havenwaters posted:

That's okay. Given a few more months (and a strong enough computer) and you'll be able to emulate it. Game already works on the emulator for the most part.

There's a PS3 emulator?
:psyduck:
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but someone actually understands the Cell (or however that insane PS3 CPU is called) enough to write a recompiler.
I'll have to bookmark the site for my next PC if and when my old PS3 gives up the ghost.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Let's not go there, shall we?

(E: the bed thing, not the metal gear thing. That last one I really would like to go there)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TurnipFritter posted:

Kamiya, founder and director of Platinum Games, tweeted that Nier Automata basically saved the studio:

:bisonyes:
And people say that Yoko Taro's stories are depressing :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:allears:
This man is a treasure.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hold on, hold on.
The desert is where Façade was (or at least nearby)
We saw Kainé's home under the shopping mall.
So either
1) Emil decided to move the whole desert together with Kanié's home
or
2) what the gently caress are those city ruins doing here there was nothing like that in the first Nier (the Shadowlord palace maybe?)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jagged Jim posted:

Also Project Gestalt vacuumed up all that dead Mama Grotesquerie poo poo and sent it back to Drakenworld, so I'm going to go ahead and guess that poo poo is pretty much hosed on that end.

They sent it back to before Draken 3, thus making possible the Draken 1 E ending down the line.
It's a glorious time loop of blood and tears.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rangpur posted:

Technically we've only dealt with Jean-Paul XXVIII. If you go far enough back, it turns out a machine lifeform named Jean-Paul I was responsible for directing the aliens towards Earth in the first place. This information is only available in a Japan-only phone-game spinoff of the stage play continuity.

Bruceski posted:

...Christ.

Not emptyquoting.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

They had Adam and Eve eating an apple while wearing underpants. It's so over the top it's absolutely hilarious.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Would that make 9S Luka?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Rangpur posted:

It's not the most efficient way of doing it, but Slow is one of the few Pod programs that Speed Star isn't immune too. Every little bit helps when you're struggling with that filthy cheater.

There's better ways of cheating Speed Star. When charging up a pod program, time slows down for everyone except 2B / 9S until the charge is full.
Charge a pod program, at full charge shoot the pod once or twice so you cancel the charge without using it and triggering the program cooldown, repeat. The main problem is that you can't pod-glide while the pod is charging up so that may trip you if you need to do a long jump.

E: I almost forgot, I finished the game recently. Any and all speculation I made in this thread was before I overtook Id's playthrough and was based only on the game up until that point. For obvious reasons, I'll not do any speculation anymore.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 4, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

If I ever see that bossy robo-monk again, it’ll be too soon, let me tell you.
I suppose.
Stupid machine. All he cared about was getting stronger until we finally scrapped him. But now we don’t have to see him ever again. What a relief!
...Indeed.
Nines, who are you trying to fool? Because you aren't fooling anyone, including yourself.

quote:

:golfclap:
I so, so wish this wasn't an edit.

On my playthrough, I got the second to last form in route A. It's time consuming, but if you don't mind wasting 15 minutes the combat in this game is actually quite enjoyable.
I then engaged the last form and promptly said to myself, gently caress it I'll return back later when I'm Hackerman. Thank god I did because I probably would have broken a controller upon getting one-shot forty minutes in.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jagged Jim posted:

"Well I was trying to go the Moon, but I missed and ended up on Mars instead." - The most Kerbal inventor ever :jeb:

I had to put down the controller and laugh like a moron for one or two minutes there. How can one manage to miss the moon but hit Mars is beyond me.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Vadoc posted:

Nothing has ever gone wrong with giving nuclear weapons to pacifists.

As long as Pascal's pacifism modifier doesn't overflow/underflow it'll be fine.

(p.s. please tell me that picture is official and not fanart)

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Please don't give them ideas.

E: although DrakeNier High could be made to work somehow, as long as it wouldn't take itself seriously.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 22, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sindai posted:

I can't believe a game about Disney characters somehow ended up with one of the most convoluted plots ever written.

I was going to mention "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" but thinking about it Kingdom Hearts really needs a "The Life and Times of Ansem McDarkness".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Me, at the start of this LP:

Omobono posted:

Somebody already said it, but really, what are the odds of humanity still being there and alive?
On the other hand, it may be too easy a twist for our Sith Lord now, so I guess if by lets say ending A* this twist hasn't triggered then humanity is still kicking. Somehow.

*defined as the first non game-over ending. I have no idea what its letter will actually be.

I honestly was surprised they delayed the untwist (seriously, is there anyone that didn't call it) so late in the game.

Oh well, humanity's dead and so are the aliens, this whole war is even more loving pointless, Drakengard.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stephen9001 posted:

As for the dating sim idea, remember that he said he would kill all the characters.

I fail to see the drawback here.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:cry: I want out of Uncle Yoko's Crazy Ride :cry:

My thoughts while playing this section.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zoe posted:

I can't remember exactly what it was she was accused of. Was it that she kill her own squad members? I feel there's pretty high odds they were infected, in that case.

The only answer we got was "It's classified".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Without a doubt my favorite part of the game.
I never saw it coming.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Unless you count the fake ending from the LP where Caim has had enough of this poo poo then no, he survives in every route.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bufuman posted:

Given what we learned about Simone's backstory and how this poo poo is going down now that she's gone, I'd say the answer is obvious: Jean-Paul is Future-Robot-Wesker and he's released the RoboT-Virus. For the sake of resuming Party Time, A2 or 9S needs to find him and kick the crap out of him.

I'm not sure if he deserves it more for being Wesker or more for being Jean-Paul though.

The latter without a doubt. At least Wesker could chew on scenery with the best of them.

AirborneNinja posted:

Well now that he's hit rock bottom it can only get better from here.

Right?

"If you hit rock bottom you can always start digging." - Yoko Taro, probably

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

9S is running the caim.exe program juuuuust fine.

I don't know, it seems buggy to me. The "commit indiscriminate murder" part is working fine, but the "enjoy murder" part isn't. 9S is not displaying any of Caim's joie de vivre here, he probably should file a bug report to the bunker.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Drakengard
:psyduck:

A2 has Kainé's memories
loving hell A2 has Kainé's memories
gently caress whoever set up YoHRa
sideways
with Ymir's Finger

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Perestroika posted:

I'm becoming ever more convinced that Yoko Taro isn't actually a person. Instead, he's the manifestation of a story so utterly crazy that it took physical shape on this earth to tell itself through any means necessary. :allears:

Wasn't this a weapon story? With the about one thousand weapons across 5 games it could well be.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hey it this document. I didn't recall you got it this early, probably because we get an extended version later apparently and I'm confusing the two.

Man, a DrakeNier researcher deciding something would be too inhumane to implement? I have to call bullshit.
Although to be fair, the alternate solution they found was to torture some (well, a lot of) prisoners of war, so it probably still checks out.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dr. Snark posted:

To be fair, the "inhumanity" of using machine cores was because they considered everything about YoRHa to be completely expendable.

So hey, it's really inhumane science by a different name.

They decided that using common AI for YoRHa was too inhumane and they actually searched for and found an alternative solution instead of simply shrugging. That is what I never imagined a DrakeNier researcher doing.
The alternative solution is as horrible as the original proposal but baby steps, baby steps.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You know, I think Popola and Devola prime could have at least solved the Noir problem with a bit of lateral thinking and reverse psychology. Basically, you need to make sure Weiss wants to fuse, so:
Tell Nier and Weiss that the books have to fuse to cure Yonah and spin a story about Noir was separated from Weiss by an evil sorcerer or something. I mean, he's Albert Wesker, even a toddler would manage to bluff about Wesker being evil.
gently caress, add a spin about how Noir could risk ending being in charge of the fusion so Weiss is not suspicious when it starts.
Explain the plan and tell Shadowlord and Noir to ham it up on how Nier will never manage to fuse the books and save Yonah. Shadowlord may or may not agree but there's no way that Wesker wouldn't.

There, now you have a fused grimoire and a chance to complete project Gestalt.

Of course something else would go wrong because DrakeNier universe.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This is a friendly reminder that our boy 9S has been hitting a new and different rock bottom every update for like twenty updates.
They say that life finds a way, but life is just a talented amateur compared to Yoko Taro.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Uh...
I had forgotten about Auguste and the bucket stubbies.

Still, at this point I was firmly in "gently caress the machines" mode so no way I didn't blow them up. Not after what they did to Pascal and village.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

So, androids are just machines. Well, the futile struggle to save humanity makes sense. Machines are always doing futile things.

No, that's just YoRHa. Remember, Popola and Devola were around well before the alien invasion.
I assume the Accord series is non-YoRHa too, not that we would be able to tell the difference.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My thought process during this section:

Oh gently caress not this poo poo from you two again?
Wait this has to be a fakeout for Nier veterans
Please be a fakeout
OH gently caress IT'S NOT
[fontsize=1 trillion]gently caress YOU AND YOUR FAKEOUTS YOKO TARO[/fontsize]
Is that the vocal track?

They're going to... :smith:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Weren't those the White Chlorination shades, not the Gestalt shades?

Anyway no way Automata's Popola and Devola are the same ones as in Replicant/Gestalt. Those two were killed by Replicant Jimbo and thoroughly vaporized.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Incidentally, I already said it but it bears repeating.

gently caress YoRHa/Android High Command (the actual one, not the fake Council of Humanity one). Bunch of evil assholes.
Which makes them amazingly human :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Andyzero posted:

Wow, if there ever was a flag in Drakenier, that's it.

Isn't existing enough of a flag in DrakeNier already?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

...! posted:

Surely that was the last thing the machine network can do to gently caress with 9S...

Why did you light the Yoko signal?
Nothing good comes out of lighting the Yoko signal.

E:
Yeah mad props to Kyle for absolutely nailing the transition from 9 Scout to 9 Caim.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 13, 2017

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

...! posted:

Ah, Yoko Taro. :allears:

For the record: all of us (including me) have Stockholm Syndrome towards Yoko Taro, correct?
It's the only explanation as to why, after being kicked in the balls repeatedly, our answer is "Thank you sir may I have another sir" and we completely, unironically mean it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mazerunner posted:

there does seem to be some sort of android high command, but at the very least it seems to be absurdly compromised, given that the machines have access to the highest(?) level of classified data

Keep in mind that a copy of the document was inside the bunker for some inane reason. The Machine Network may have simply found it while rampaging through the backdoor.
Although it would not surprise me at all if android high command was actually in communications with the Network. What's a little treason on top of everything else after all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I can't understate how satisfying it is to finally give the Machine Network a blow they can't ignore.
I mean, it probably doesn't amount to much worse than the universe worst drunken bender and subsequent hangover, but drat if it isn't going to feel like poo poo tomorrow morning.

• Locked thread