Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Uh, poo poo, a TDI LP for a game I was considering playing in the future myself. I really do want to play it, but I still haven't gotten very far in Tales of Berseria. And my brother got me a birthday gift of FFXV, which I'm honestly not all THAT interested in (to think that I would one day have that opinion of a Final Fantasy game. Dark times!), but it was a gift so I'm at least going to try it out. And I've got Persona 5 on pre-order so that'll be a thing in the coming weeks. So my schedule is booked for at least a month or two, probably longer, Berseria is really good and P5 is reportedly a sexily good game too.

So now I'm torn between holding off on reading this for when I actually play it or saying "Screw it" and reading anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

VolticSurge posted:

There's no "SUPLEX" option, 0/10.

For Ashley or Leon? Either way I'd play it with that option.

And seriously, what is with Japan and boars? I'm looking at the Tales Of series; there's boar-type enemies in every game, and at least two of the games (Graces and Xillia) have a boar boss that can easily compete for the Game's Toughest Storyline Boss title, to make no mention of any optional boar bosses.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Excellent, I've finally caught up with where Id's at (a good bit farther actually; I actually did A2's second part first because I thought I'd get a joke response or something if I picked her a second straight time, so I had to do that first and then start on 9S's stuff). Now I can keep up with his updates and start commenting again without fear of spoilers. Assuming people don't jump ahead, anyway.

euphronius posted:

Man I hope this game turns around mood wise . This is a bummer

Um... :stonklol:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

jyrque posted:

Happy ending: Nines is wedgied by Emil.

Eh, I can't see Emil doing something like that. He's a nice boy.

A2 might though. And one or both Pods would record it and talk Emil into selling copies.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Makrond posted:

It hasn't been shown in the LP for some reason but there are cannibal stubbies running around alongside the regular machines now, so it's implied that not every machine went nuts in the same way. The amusement park machines kind of intentionally take on a different meaning depending on whether or not you did the stamps sidequest and found the zombie machines in the basement. I don't know if it gets explained but if it does then the LP will get to it in due time.

Given what we learned about Simone's backstory and how this poo poo is going down now that she's gone, I'd say the answer is obvious: Jean-Paul is Future-Robot-Wesker and he's released the RoboT-Virus. For the sake of resuming Party Time, A2 or 9S needs to find him and kick the crap out of him.

I'm not sure if he deserves it more for being Wesker or more for being Jean-Paul though.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 6, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Chokes McGee posted:

Clock Tower had probably the best of these. :allears:

Second place would be Old/Blind/Dead People and all pics being Ray Charles.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Huh, I didn't actually see that last bit where 9S stabs the downed machine. I even tried attacking it, but the game just never played the cutscene for some reason; the machine looped its Kill Me message a few times until I decided there was nothing to do but just walk out.

Maybe my 9S is just more of a dick than TDI's.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

We’re given an option. Is A2 going to dig deep inside herself for that MERCY.EXE runtime file with this nice, friendly boy or is she going to just keep the course with the machine killing?

ERROR: MERCY.EXE – file not found.

So they still have Futurama in the, er, future? Neat!

(I apologize for my crappy image editing abilities)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I found the terminals and listened to the backstory (good stuff), but I never knew about the glasses, partly because I loving hate that elevator shaft ladder; the camera absolutely refuses to face the directions that the openings are so you can't see if you're in the right spot to jump off, which my characters never want to do (they'll either just hang there or do the quick-climb animation instead), and on the rare occasion they do hop off, they'll enter Freefall Mode right off and refuse to grab onto their Pod and end up taking fall damage (Auto-Heal walks that right off, granted, but still, what the hell is wrong with you androids).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

If that was the forest king, then our protagonists have managed to kill the same child twice. That's a new one.

Lead character designer: So this next character we designed is this adorable little baby robot. Look at how freakin' cute he is!
Yoko Taro: I want to have it brutally murdered.
LCD: Yoko-san.
Yoko Taro: For no good reason.
LCD: Stop.
Yoko Taro: TWICE.
LCD: I GIVE UP.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
This is the Wild Ride, everyone is going to need a hug and then some before we reach the end of the road.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Nervous posted:

Ah, the Kefka solution. It all makes sense now.

And yet one of Kefka's most inspirational sources will be lightly ridiculed in a near-future update (FYI this is referencing a simple throwaway line so hopefully no one considers that a spoiler), so apparently Yoko Taro is also slightly self-depreciative. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So I'm assuming those Red Bitches are the ones that were giggling and gloating to 2B and 9S over the intercom during the big ol' Bunker hacking brawl? I do hope we get a chance to shiv them both on the same sword at some point.

Normally that would be a given, but, you know, :yokotaro:, who has a way of subverting expectations (though at the very least assholes in his stories usually get what they deserve, if only as a side effect of nice people getting what they DON'T deserve).

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 13, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Jetamo posted:

Nier Kart Racing, featuring Emil, the Party Tanks.... the horse machines??

Completely Serious Entry: The Little Brother Stubby from the beginning of Route B

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Explosions posted:

oh poo poo emil gets to be friends with kaine again

yay

And Kaine gets to boar-drift after only getting to watch Nier do it. :unsmith:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/912330861151887360

Can you imagine if someone had posted in the original Drakengard thread that its fourth sequel would be nominated for Playstation game of the year?

I think I heard about this earlier specifically because N:A wasn't nominated for the Game of the Year category. Considering over half the comments consisted of "Where the hell is Nier!?", it's a pretty big oversight.

Though perhaps the worse snub was the complete lack of soundtrack-related nominations. Have they LISTENED to this game's OST at all?

I earnestly hope they lost most of their viewer base over this tragedy of poor decisions.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I love how A2 keeps trying but can't ever win against Pod 042. He just ignores all her poo poo and it's beautiful.

I'm going to start calling him Alfred.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I love how A2 getting pushed around by everyone from her own Pod to a bunch of child machines shows that she's not nearly the hardass she likes to pretend she is. Rather, deep down she's mostly the same big ol' softie she was implied to be by the Pearl Harbor records.

So, guess who didn't realize that getting the philosophy book for Pascal is the quest that advances the plot? Fun fact: Id wasn't kidding about Route C's lousy-rear end quest cutoff times. I ended up having to reload an earlier save.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

Mmmm. I see. It seems this Nietzsche was quite the profound thinker.
<examines book closer> Or perhaps he skipped right past profound and went straight to crazy instead.

This is probably one of my favorite lines in the game and makes me wish Pascal got more chances to insult people (assuming he'd take them anyway, he's too nice for his own good most of the time).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I think the implication is supposed to be that the Bad Bot was carrying the logic virus and the infection started to spread before the bot got put down.

This is what anti-logic vaccines are for Pascal, next time don't let Mother Machine spread that anti-vax bullshit just so she can feel "woke"!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

That's the part that got me, honestly. The machine sisters especially. Maybe it's because they gave me those bows 2B and 9S wore for most of routes A/B.

Same. My 9S rocked that pink bow for all of route B.

(2B got the Lunar Tear instead though)

Both sad and heartwarming to see Little Sister died trying to protect Big Sister. I'm not crying, you're crying! :qq:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yeah, I had been hinted about the joke ending myself, so I went after every machine there way back in Route A.

Fun fact: Unlike Endings J and R, where you only need to kill one of the NPCs in the area to trigger them, Ending N requires you to kill every single machine in the village (and you need to do it all in one go, otherwise any machines you kill will respawn if you take one step outside the village). Also, the Goliath in the pit area is level 30, and it takes an absolute eternity to kill when it has 15 levels on 2B and gets 5 full seconds of invulnerability while it screams "No fighting!" lines after every. Single. Attack.

I wasn't surprised when I saw Id put it off until Route B. :v:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 22, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I guess that's one way to ensure that no violence will be done to you and yours (starting now). You assholes ran afoul of Pascal's pacifism, and he just pacified the gently caress out of your collective shits!

Pascal is the best nice uncle robot.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I knew poo poo was coming.

I knew Pascal's Village couldn't possibly last.

I had read all of TDI's threads up to this point.

I knew Yoko Taro was at maximum :yokotaro: power.

I knew I was in for heartbreak.

I still was not ready. :qq:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

:perfect:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
*checks thread, sees nazi arguments and "ironic" shitposting*

:sigh: I'll see you all on Monday when Id unlocks the thread.

For my part, I chose to wipe Pascal's memories, granting the current Pascal eternal peace and giving another Pascal a chance to do some good. It's an increasingly-rare commodity in the world, both ours and Automata's.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 26, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Nah, he just needs more booze.

You say that about everyone!

Granted, you're not wrong.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So yeah, you can take the heads of a pair of peaceful machines (that were very likely murdered by berserker machines) and use them to beat other machines to death. :yokotaro: is taking their pacifism, shanking it in a dark alley, taking its wallet, molesting its corpse, and then finally going to its house and doing the same to its wife and kids. It's just about the most darkly hilarious thing I've seen in ages.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

FeyerbrandX posted:

:yokotaro: Their souls are for sale. They're more prized by a random merchant than their own father figure.

I think it's more like 9S and A2 are just that good at negotiating. Do YOU want to potentially piss off the angry possibly-unhinged murder hobo, or the angry DEFINITELY-unhinged murder on-his-way-to-becoming-a-hobo android who can also force you to explode yourself with basically a thought?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

chiasaur11 posted:

I bet you're just kicking yourself over that one.

Bad puns are core to our very beings!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

The Dark Id posted:

So what’s the missing percentages? RNG, baby! Enemy that will only spawn at random points at specific times in the story with the RNG gods determining if rare spawns will occur such as say a EMP capable version of X enemy that looks literally identical to all the others or a 10% chance an Enhanced Model (red dude) version of an enemy will spawn at a specific place at a specific story event. This quest is straight up impossible to complete before hitting Ending C which might unlock some ways to make toying with the RNG slightly more manageable.

This is the part of the LP I have been dreading doing most because it’ll be just 3-4 hours of me dicking around listening to a podcast getting annoyed one specific version of one fucker doesn’t wanna show up so I can get an extra percentage or two.

I forgot to mention that I agree with this wholeheartedly. Anyone who's dreaming of seeing a beautiful lineup of 100%s in their Intel log, take it from one rabid completionist to another: DO NOT loving BOTHER. I got everything to 100% (though I skipped the DLC because honestly gently caress THAT GARBAGE) but it was one of the biggest rear end-pains I've experienced in ages. There were a pair in one spot that took me like 4-5 hours of dedicated reloading to get to spawn. I can earnestly say it was not remotely worth the time and effort.

Still got the screenshots of everything at 100% though. I'm going to keep them as a reminder to myself that one should have limits to their madness.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Attitude Indicator posted:

The character design for n:a is bad and dumb however you try to justify it.

So what's it like knowing that the closet you'll ever come to an intimate relationship is getting yelled at by people on the internet for zero-effort trolling?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Is Mechazilla really that rare? I turned in the sap right away and still found him out of chance like half the time I went through the forest zone (I encountered it like 3-4 times).

Maybe that's why I had such trouble finding other rare units, that drat dinofucker sucked up all my RNG luck! :argh:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I distinctly remember asking myself just what the twins might want desert roses for when doing that quest. And figuring out the most likely answer was making booze. What was it that one of them liked in the original Nier? Something with a worm in it?

If I remember correctly, the primary ingredient for the booze you were asked to get was rat tails or something like that, and in that case it was Popola drinking it instead of Devola because some villager wanted to hear them sing a duet but Popola needs at least a slight buzz to get her in a singin' mood.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Hey, he had a good thing going with a beautiful woman who actually put up with most of his crap, and then she got ganked. I'm surprised it took him THIS long to start getting blitzed after that.

Probably a good thing A2 didn't know Devola could make tequila out of flowers, otherwise after all the poo poo she went through, she probably would've been dead-drunk when the Type-Es found her, and then she'd be just dead.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
My archive data went incomplete for the longest time because I somehow missed that Pious Machine record chest every single time I went to the factory. I MIGHT have seen it on my very first trip through with 2B way back during Route A.

When it comes to the Pod Programs, I really came to appreciate the sound quality of the headset I bought for streams. Either the speakers or the sound settings for my TV are hosed (I suspect the latter because I bought this TV less than a year ago) because I never heard those Pod beeps even faintly when playing normally (regardless of how I adjusted the in-game sound settings) but my headset picked that poo poo up loud and clear.

I remember someone mentioning that Missile is supposed to be effective against... something, I'll be damned if I can remember what. I don't recall because like Id I tried it out right away and found the abysmal range made it just short of completely useless and never touched it again. Which is a shame because I thought it would go with a good naming theme of Laser Pod having the Laser Program and Missile doing the same with its named program. Oh well, Gatling Pod would've wrecked the whole theme anyway. Why don't YOU have a Program named after you, Gatling Pod!?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Zagglezig posted:

Too bad about the decoy. I could imagine some fun to be had with a program that aggroed every machine in X radius based on level and also potentially had your main Pod doing A2 style taunts pretending to be an android.
Observation: All the enemy machines in this area are weak and stupid.
Proposal: Enemy machines should come and get me, if they think their rusty joints can handle the strain.
Observation: I'm gonna wreck all of you without messing up my well made hair.

Proposal: Jump into the ocean and rust worse than you already are.
Observation: My last 58 predecessors pods units could all fire bigger and more accurate shots than that. (EDIT: Forgot that it's supposed to be Pod pretending to be their android owner)
Proposal: Losersaysbeep

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 3, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

apocalypticCritic posted:

Either way, it sucks that DevPop got the blame. They were doing well until the Shadowlord hosed things up.

I'm frankly wondering how they would've explained things had they even lived. Their entire purpose for hundreds of years was to basically casework for Nier and the Shadowlord both... and then Nier goes and frags the very memory of both of them from everyone's minds. What would be left of DevoPopo's memories in such an event? Hell, they might've been driven insane trying to figure out what the hell happened to their memories.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

DeafNote posted:

I am still pretty sure I could use rapid fire during the 2B segments (at first)

Yeah, I remember that being the one safety net during the 2B Virus Walk; even while she was sparking and stumbling, 2B could still use pod fire and any pod programs that didn't require her direct involvement (i.e. stuff like Laser was fine but Mirage was out) up until about when she reaches the field just before the bridge (at which point her ranged attacks FFCS function will automatically die if it hasn't already).

I mostly remember that because I was one of those people that tried to cut through the hole (I only read Id's updates up to points I had gotten to myself so I didn't have his warning :v:) and ended up having to deal with about half a dozen stubbies trying to bash her already-battered skull in while I was trying to make an air-dash jump to reach a ledge and move on. Things went sour for a minute or two until I discovered Pod 042 could still do his job, at which point I sorted them out quickly and got back to the death walk.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The biggest tragedy about the awards is that Yakuza 0 won jack poo poo though :(

This is basically how I felt about Tales of Berseria, even though I knew it had little chance of getting any nominations because Tales is still a bit too niche to have any sort of widespread popularity here in America (I understand it has a decent following in Japan at least, since obviously they're not put off by how super anime the series is, unlike a lot of Americans).

Still, at the very least I would've put Christina Vee against any of other VAs nominated for Best Performance. The sheer amount of range she did for main character Velvet was nothing short of amazing.

On-topic, the funniest part of the awards for me were people who bitched that Persona 5 should've also won best soundtrack over Automata (because apparently winning RPG of the Year wasn't enough acclaim). Now, I loved the HELL out of P5's primarily jazzy soundtrack; I'd rank most of the battle tracks evenly against Automata's (in fact Blooming Villain is probably my favorite single track of the year, even if most prefer Last Surprise or Rivers in the Desert), and most of the town and dungeon themes were great too, but overall Automata was better by virtue of not having many weak tracks, if any at all (P5 suffers badly in this area, mainly because of the lovely Mementos theme that's basically the same dozen notes played over and over for like 30% of the whole drat game, that poo poo got old REAL FAST!)

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 8, 2017

• Locked thread