Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The genius of Curry's design was that his Pennywise was subtly not meant to look like a guy in makeup, in-universe at least. The enlarged forehead and the nose that melds too seamlessly into the rest of his face were simple and effective ways to give him this Uncanny Valley effect. He appropriately looks like an otherworldly simulacrum of a clown. I remember the VHS cover with his face really freaking me out as a kid in the Blockbuster aisle; he looks off and intentionally creepy.

I'm holding off my judgement of the new Pennywise until I can see proper footage of him in action and speaking. In the book his adoption of clownish aesthetics and demeanor when confronting the Losers always felt more mocking than deceitful to me, so I'm not too worried by how intentionally sinister he already looks. The only time in the movie he ever has to appear inviting to a child is in the opening scene. If he can pull that off I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love that two of It's incarnations were on MST3k.

Three, if you count Gill-Man...

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I remember it being I Was a Teenage Werewolf.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't film both halves of this new version at the same time, and are instead waiting.

That would add a lot more to the cost of what is probably an already sizable budget for an R rated horror movie. The overwhelming response to the trailer must've taken the studio by surprise.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a more concerted effort going on to do a full-on King Cinematic Universe with all of these vaguely connected stories. The structure is there, King has written 3 or 4 standalone books that all connect back to the Dark Tower, but I haven't heard any talk of them being made/remade. I'm thinking of Salem's Lot and Insomnia specifically but there are others like The Talisman.

They are doing that Castle Rock tv show, which seems to be made with all that in mind. There's very little info about it right now, though.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

WB seems to have wiped the trailer from youtube entirely but it's still here:

https://twitter.com/MTV/status/861391742381064192

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

So is Mama any good? I'd never heard of Muschietti before this but everything in these trailers has looked very promising. Though I'm sure Chung Chung-hoon's cinematography helped a lot..

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't care if I'm alone in this but Mama is one of my favorite horror movies from the last decade.

Would you mind selling me on it? I've been only getting mixed reactions otherwise.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

So I watched Mama, both the original short and the film. The film is definitely at its best when it's confident enough to rely on its visuals without overusing the musical stings a bunch, and there's some fantastic visuals consistently throughout. I'm actually more positive about Muschietti helming this now.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Because the evil clown looks too evil.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

MrMojok posted:

We haven't seen the clown talking to Georgie from the drain yet. It's possible he can be quite friendly and disarming. He's got to do this to get Georgie close enough, right?

That's the only time he remotely pulls a "nice clown" routine and Georgie is 6 and still weirded out at first. None of the main kids ever fall for it and it looks like they're aged up to teens in the film, so getting lured in by a clown is even more ridiculous. Pennywise is a Scary Clown, full stop.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a weird complaint to me because what is the context for clowns for kids growing up in the 90's anyway? No one born past 1977 has ever even seen a clown in person and probably the first time they do it's some poo poo John Wayne Gacy painted.

Because there's been this recurring notion that Pennywise is so scary because he appears at first to be an unassuming friendly clown. But he's always been tied to the Uncanny when his first appearance is in a sewer.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The Kubrick Stare is basically a part of cinematic grammar at this point.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Kawabata posted:

He is menacing and playful at the same time, not evil (even thought the audience knows he is). This version of Pennywise seems to scream "look at me I'm super evil and mean staring you hard" but again, I hope it's a marketing choice to attract more people.

Every single time he appears in the book it hits you over the head with how evil he is. After he mercs Georgie in the opening scene there's no need for any pretenses in the rest of the film.

And again: this is all from footage of trailers for The Evil Clown Movie so they're going to show an Evil Clown.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

This new Pennywise fits that description pretty well. And the trailers show they're doing the opening scene where he tries to lure Georgie into the sewer. What's so confusing?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Kawabata posted:

What's confusing is that it's either "you mis-remember the book because Curry's interpretation replaced your memory of it: this new, darker IT is actually more faithful to the material" or "King literally says Pennywise looked like Bozo, down to tufts of red hair, orange buttons and baggy pants: this new IT is trying to do something different". It can't be both. Not that there's anything wrong with a new approach if it works, mind you.

This Pennywise has red hair, orange buttons, and baggy pants.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Kawabata posted:

When you think about Bozo you don't think about a 26 years old guy with a small chin and delicate features. You think about a creepy middle aged man. Google Bozo and see for yourself, or better yet, watch the mini-series again!

The clothes are wrong as well. Bozo is an explosion of colors, while the new IT is mostly a dirty white with desaturated everything else. Much darker than the 90s version or what's described in the book, which works if you're really after younger viewers I suppose.

Also: http://imgur.com/a/3tNOc

Next to Curry, Skarsgard looks like an angry chipmunk. Look at how hard he's trying though.

Well they weren't going to give him a multi-colored suit, that wouldn't film well. So instead there's a simplified design of mostly grey with red/orange highlights. It's a slight, inconsequential change to better suit the medium.

And that comparison shot is using a screengrab from the miniseries against a promo photo from EW, which has become something of a running joke for their terrible promo photos.

So now I'm started to get confused, because I thought this was an argument about the tone of the new movie, instead of about the details of the appearance and guesswork on Skarsgard's performance from what amounts to seconds of screentime.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Teenagers circa 1989 just loved balloons that much.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Fart City posted:

Still, the more I see of the movie, the more surprised I am by how pretty it is.

That's cuz the cinematography is by Chung Chung-hoon, who's worked on most of if not all of Park Chan-wook's films.

Nroo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 27, 2017

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

The Handmaiden also had immaculate cinematography. And Muschietti has shown a penchant for some really striking imagery in Mama, which helped elevate that movie a lot. It's a great combination for It.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Muschietti repping Modigliani yet again, I love it.

This did play great with a crowd, tho I'd have to deduct half a star for robbing us of Eddie's delivery of BATTERY ACID, FUCKNUTS

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Just loving realized the movie made Mike a Killer of Sheep...

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hey is the painting Stan was terrified of real?

It's kind of an exaggerated Amedeo Modigliani painting, whose works were also the inspiration for the character design in Mama.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can safely say I would not have wanted Pennywise to be more of a character in this movie.

They used a lot of restraint, which was the best way to have done it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

films are not silent nowadays.

Ahahaha

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Nuebot posted:

If they were really dedicated to the whole "Mike's parents are dead!" thing they could easily have made it so they died at the Black Spot which explains his fear of fire (having grown up hearing about it) and interest in history since he wouldn't have been there but would want to know more about his parents and what happened.

Then Mike would've had to have been 27+ years old.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

This is even better on a rewatch; the actors all bring such great subtle character moments. I'm going to miss seeing this with a crowd.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, that moment also did a good job of capturing "Pennywise is everything wrong with this town" in an image too.

(although I'm pretty sure it was an actual severed arm, not a doll hand)

Specifically Eddie Corcoran's

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, really? Did I miss a detail there?

The scene during the parade one of the characters mentions that his arm was found chewed up in the Barrens. It's when they notice his Missing sign pasted over Betty Ripsom's (another great visual)

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'm hoping for a version where the monster says "float" even once.

Is this a joke

dirksteadfast posted:

Upon further reflection, I'm a little bit disappointed with Derry. It's been a while since I read the book, but the whole town of Derry felt like it was always a secondary antagonist. A deeply, deeply troubled town with an underlying sense of wrongness and total apathy towards what the Losers were going through. They touched on it in the movie, and I understand it's hard to fit all that into 2 hours, but I felt like we needed more adults being frighteningly negligent.

The adults' absence is already very negligent, and whenever they do show up they're all pretty awful.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Richie says "The kids are all floating!!" as if the word "float" means anything in the context of the movie. Pennywise never says "float" at all. This poo poo is inexcusable.

It's like they filmed a good movie and then jump-cut all the good parts out of it.

Yeah, you're right. There should've been a few instances where Pennywise says the word "float" to one of the kids, like,...idk...Eddie. That would've been neat.

Edit: Also, would it have killed them to use the word in the marketing campaign at all?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Actually 3 times.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1dttyp8LI

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I've been watching a bunch of South Korean films lately so "tonal whiplash" has been extremely my poo poo.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

hell yeah, which ones?

The Handmaiden* (prob the first movie I was surprised to learn was shot on digital)
The Wailing
The President's Last Bang
The Age of Shadows
New World*
A Tale of Two Sisters
I Saw the Devil
Train to Busan
Oki's Movie
Barking Dog's Never Bite

All were very-good to great.

*Same DoP as It.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah the entire Henry Bowers scene with his dad seemed really crammed in there. Like, there needed to be at least one other scene that at least shows that Bowers is terrified of his dad. Like in the book he's angry at Ben for not letting him cheat and therefore making him repeat a grade which will make his dad beat the poo poo out of him.

Bowers' first scene has him physically intimidating Bill, then looking over to see his dad staring at him (though at that point the audience only sees him as the cop next to Betty Ripsom's mother) and he quickly runs off.

So there was at least one other scene.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I'm wondering if it's meant to tie into the reveal in Part 2 that It is female and pregnant.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/kumivenarts/status/907441951150030848

Nroo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 15, 2017

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

All of those camera tricks were Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Yaws posted:

I NEED GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF CHILDHOOD DISMEMBERMENT AND MURDER!

SUBTLETY? IMPLICATION? NOT WORDS IN MY VOCABULARY!

BLUNT VIOLENCE! THAT'S ALL I UNDSERSTAND

Subtlety isn't inherently a virtue.

• Locked thread