Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

They really can't keep *that scene* in the movie without the MPAA slapping it with an NC17 and effectively shutting that poo poo down...right?

Was Jack's cum dripping out of Wendy's pussy in either version of the Shining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm wondering how much they'll alter the 'greatest fears' the kids have, given it's now set in the 80s. I don't remember the TV movie IT too much, but I know in the book a lot of the kids' biggest fears were based on the Universal monsters stable; IT showed up as the Gill-Man and Frankenstein's monster (maybe mummy and the wolfman too?)

I'm sure licensing/royalties would be some kind of nightmare, but their fears would likely be updated to then current horror staples like Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Alien xenomorph etc.

You named properties owned by WB/New Line, Paramount (supposedly they got the Jason's rights back from WB), and Fox. There is no way in hell this will ever happen and it's getting tired as gently caress hearing people wish for this.

Now if Cujo, Christine, and the little creature from Cat's Eye shows up, then we're in business.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bret Easton Ellis had Mick Garris on his podcast and while it was cool hearing him retell stories and the general banter between the two, I wish Ellis would've been a little bit more blunt when it came to Garris' movies. They just are not very good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ya'll are talking about how clowns weren't really a thing when the movie take place. You're neglecting how big Ronald McDonald was at the time. I've said it before but my ideal would be like Tom Kenny playing a very guidance counselor like Pennywise.

Tom Kenny plays a great clown in Shakes the Clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTXyx5zOzE

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The only clown I dream about is Homie the Clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QhuBIkPXn0

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie kinda reminded me of the first Sleepaway Camp where you're actually following filthy mouthed teenagers and not adults playing teens. I also thought it was kinda funny that the kid obsessed with Street Fighter is ultimately the one to rally the troops into turning the final confrontation into a video game boss battle. The clown bashing scene oddly echos the car smashing mini game in Street Fighter.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My favorite line is when Ben calls out to Beverly as she's walking away Please don't go, girl! ... is also a song... by new kids on the block....

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

I'm honestly surprised SMG isn't arguing that the kids are fascists.

All kids are pseudo fascists. War is play and play is war for most young boys. The rule on the playground is the rule of the jungle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfH2ARyd5Lc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I know Ben's pain all too well, the very first concert I ever went to was New Kids on the Block when I was like 10 (my sisters and female cousins all went too, me and my cousin Oscar were the only boys). Then I didn't go to another live show until I was in my mid-20s. Whenever my friends in college would talk about going to live shows, I always just dummied up and never, ever, brought up my first concert experience.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

davidspackage posted:

This is what kind of bugs me about how they changed things in the final confrontation; in the novel, the kids don't conquer their fear of It, they just persevere despite their absolute terror. And they defeat It with conviction in make-belief weapons and methods. If you take that out, the adult confrontation loses most or all of its tension.

I think that's a real thing too, something about the muscles contracting when people burn.

Doesn't Bill blow Pennywise's head open with the bolt thrower despite it being out of gas? I'm assuming at some point one of them will remember that in the sequel and they'll figure out the rest.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I have a question about the poem given to Beverly. in the miniseries, Pennywise pretends to be Beverly and fucks with adult Ben, telling him (as Beverly) that she always knew the poem was from Ben and she never asked any of the other kids. In the remake, Beverly doesn't ask Bill, but she drops a clue to see if he recognizes the poem but he doesn't, then the payoff happens later when Ben wakes her from the dead lights trance and she says the poem to Ben and he responds with the next stanza. My question is, how does it go down in the book? Does Beverly ask Bill, or does she know Ben wrote it?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sounds like the movie's...

...hangin' tough.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Croisquessein posted:

So that kids' show, the "kill them all" show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9MW62py8KU

I think that's a bunch of dead kids. Patrick Hockstetter is in the front row, wearing his bloody shirt. Didn't catch any other faces but I'm guessing at least some are kids we've heard about. And Pennywise has his arms around a couple of them :stare: Didn't catch that while watching.

I got to go to the It haunted house they had set up in Los Angeles, it was okay, but one of the rooms had that video playing on a loop, and seeing it before the movie, the Pennywise reveal in the video spooked me a bit when first seeing it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Wasn't Steve Weber Bill's dad in the movie?

Steve Webber is Mick Garris' go-to guy. They've worked together on Masters of Horror, the Shining remake and a few other projects. I love both dearly, but goddamn Steve Webber does NOT belong in horror movies (and Mick Garris should not be directing them).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I usually don't talk or try to make any noises during movies, but I let a loud audible "FUUUUCK" when the door closes and Stanley gets separated from Bill and Richie when they're in the abandoned house. Luckily people weren't mad and a few people started nervously laughing along since it cut the tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

I'm now thinking of the chances of a Steven King Cinematic Universe.

The beginning of Cat's Eye has the protagonist cat getting chased by Cujo and then it almost gets run over by the Plymouth Fury from Christine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCoqPrPYcJc

I'm hoping the Castle Rock tv series is pretty much this.

• Locked thread