Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Heyoooo chat thread :) Hope everyone is having a good day, new and old posters alike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When did it become in vogue to hate on banjo kazooie lol, that poo poo owned and was fun and cool as gently caress and all the weird little mysteries in it kept me entertained a ton as a kid

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

My guess is that Yooka-Laylee is probably a perfectly good collectathon 3D platformer, but that, without nostalgia, we don't actually want to play collectathon 3D platformers anymore. We can go back and play Banjo Kazooie and have fun because we played it as kids and have that affection for it, but a new one doesn't have the glow of nostalgia going for it and we're going to notice a lot more of the things that make that kind of game tedious.

That said, Yooka-Laylee also has utterly baffling character design and chose an unfortunate art direction for its budget, so maybe it isn't all that good, either.

Wasn't the demo level that got released pretty well received though?

I think yooka & laylee themselves look weird and offputting but most of the other stuff I've seen looks fine (keyword being most)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't see what makes Banjo games tedious. :shrug: Like people keep saying "you collect things in it" like it's this damning thing. Unless you're talking about a game that just isn't fun to play at all(Star Fox Adventures, I'm looking at you), there's nothing inherently wrong with having collectibles as objectives in your game as long as the levels are designed around it.

It's like people are misremembering banjo kazooie and banjo tooie as being exactly like the opening of banjo kazooie nuts & bolts where they make fun of collectathons by having you slowly walk around picking up a bunch of notes in a row.

Tangents posted:

I kind of feel the same way about Donkey Kong 64 which tends to get a lot of the same poo poo. Is having piles of points to collect a bad thing if there's fun platformer game around it?

Of course, I never actually beat DK64 because I couldn't beat the original Donkey Kong minigame, so maybe I'm not the best source here :v:

DK64 would have been better if they streamlined a lot of it. The main issue with that game was that you more or less had to traverse each level 5 times, but not all at once, and levels could get to be pretty big. Banjo Tooie had a similar issue with having to traverse progressively complex levels as multiple characters in order to get everything, but Banjo Tooie didn't split up the notes into "banjo only" and "kazooie only" and "mumbo only" and "transformation only" like DK64 did with its bananas.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I'm the EYE DIVINE CYBERMANCY fans attacking a game for having silly bad animations

I'm pretty sure they're attacking andromeda because it's the 4th game in a series by a AAA developer with titles that were nowhere near as bad animation-wise up until that point

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

They're way funnier now and it's great

I don't think anyone is saying they aren't funny

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

rich evans is bad

He can be funny sometimes but also it's sad seeing him say racist poo poo and then be like "what? it's not racist, it's true!!"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

wikipedia page for blitzkampf posted:

some non-Japanese enthusiasts have gathered in communities like Shoryuken.com[8] (the official host of the Evolution Championship Series fighting game tournaments in the US), where the game has received unofficial nicknames such as "Jewpuncher".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
To be honest, when I first heard about the fact that you can play as a tank in a fighting game, I imagined something much cooler than "robot with skull"

I think it would have been cooler if it were just like...idk, a regular tank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ow5fRMR90

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't give a hot gay gently caress critics say.

Yooka Laylee looks fun, dude!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Would you say censorship is a form of localization?

If so, excessive unneeded censorship is a dumb kind of localization.

I've been played La Pucelle Tactics and the censorship in that game is just so stupid lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Can't allow any crosses in a game just in case.

Seriously, what the gently caress.

Like, ok, I understand the thought process behind "There's this game called Disgaea that did well, we should publish one of their other titles over here to try to get in on that same niche market."

But they chose a game that is literally filled to the brim with religious imagery. And then they removed 99% of the religious imagery. On top of that, the game that inspired them to pick up the rights to La Pucelle was fuckin Disgaea, a game that takes place in hell and is about demons. They were afraid that religious groups would ruin their game's sales so they had to censor it. And also remove the cigarette that Croix smokes so instead he is just taking a drag on thin air and breathing out smoke.

Like, imagine a world where Resident Evil got released outside of Japan but Dino Crisis didn't, and someone saw the positive responses to Resident Evil and decided to pick up the rights for Dino Crisis, but then also took out all of the blood and gore to avoiding making religious organizations mad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everyone, I played a lot of the new shovel knight campaign and have enjoyed it a lot. Thanks to this, today was a relatively good day, especially in comparison to yesterday. I hope everyone else has a good day today, and a good day tomorrow as well.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

please don't sexualize Link :(

Too late

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Beat Specter Knight, yay

But now I'm bored again, boo :(

Try new game plus for a nice surprise >:]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
For anyone here who has played the talos principle, I just got to the "one free question" bit. Is there a script or anything I can look at to see what the other answers would have been? I haven't had much luck looking it up online.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Our 3 cats are very friendly but in different ways. Bahol is very needy and liked to sleep near us and whine when he needs something. Bakal is skittish and nervous but otherwise curious enough to pop up and start headbutting and kneading us. Little Rough & Tumble just fuckin loves laying next to us and getting all cuddled up against us. Back when Glam was still alive, he'd love nuzzling on either of us, digging into our necks/ears.

They are very affectionate cats.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

One of my kitts

Is it just a weird angle or is that cat missing an ear?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

She's just lying upside down on a pillow and being a nuisance as I was trying to change the bedding. :3:

Her older 'sister' is completely deaf though.

Couple of questions about the deaf cat.

Does she meow? If so, does it sound like a normal meow?
Is she very skittish?
Is there anything she does or doesn't do that is noticeably different from a cat that isn't deaf?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm relatively certain there is, in fact, a retro blind subscription box thing where it includes a video game as well. It looked like a neat bundle. I like watching Ashens open them because he's not afraid to be like "wow this bundle is poo poo hahaha wow"

Here is a vid of him with one of those retro bundle things tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeqt_n1hRk

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mordja posted:

It's a great thread, and goldmined somewhere too, I think, so even losers like me can read it without Archives.

It was mostly dollar store crap, but I think someone actually got a preopened DVD from that. :lol:

If someone has a link, please post it

e: in exchange, have a link to my favorite goldmined thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127674

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 9, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Is that actually true anymore? There were so many "Metroidvania" Castlevanias made for GBA and DS that they might outnumber the classic linear platformers. Maybe. I actually don't know, there are a lot of Castlevania games.

I think they might be relatively evenly split between 2D linear sidescrollers, 2D exploration sidescrollers, and 3D action games, with the 3D action games being outnumbered definitely.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The guy with the tiny head on a gigantic body.

Compare with how he used to look back when it was still brothers in arms furious four

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi everybody, what's up?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad you got to spend some time out with someone I assume you care about, I said come in!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I am once again in a depressive rut where I want to play video games but I can't make myself play video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

reminder to buy dqh2 and play with me on the twenty fifth

I will play it some day but not any time soon. I hope you enjoy playing as torneko, aka one of the best dragon quest characters

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I read some of jim sterling's 2/10 review of yooka laylee since I think yooka laylee is coming out today and I'm excited for it and I wanted to see what he didn't like about it and drat, a lot of his complaints are things that I am just fine with and didn't see as complaint at all. It just sounds like he's not a fan of collectathon platformers in general but there were several times in his review I was just like "wait why is this a bad thing" or "but this wasn't an issue with banjo kazooie"

Jim Sterling posted:

It’s often hard to know where you’re going to land while jumping in a 3D space and old school level design couldn’t deal with it, with moving platforms and tricky chasms that simply refused to account for the shift in player perspective. From Mario 64 to Crash Bandicoot, there were plenty of control issues as well. Subtlety of movement wasn’t a strong suit of early 3D mascot platforms, which made navigating narrow ledges a pain.

However, I powered through to at least see all the worlds on offer, a task rendered difficult only by the horrendous hub world design that makes the simple act of finding levels difficult due to obscure, sometimes bizarre placement. I don’t think I’ve seen a hub world so poorly executed before – it’s almost like they wanted it to feel like a Metroidvania map with its shortcuts and intertwining corridors, but it’s just a big steaming mess.

Combat is brainless, consisting of tapping a single button while enemies walk thoughtlessly into your attacks. Sometimes you’ll not connect with an attack and take damage just because of some reasons. Yooka-Laylee can be quite arbitrary like that. The meat of the game is Banjo-Kazooie remade, which most people were expecting. It is quite literally that. It’s a collect-a-thon in which you travel to “unique” worlds and solve puzzles or uncover secrets to earn enough glorified keys to unlock additional worlds. In this case, the asspull collectibles are Pagies, bits of a magical book that came loose after the tome was stolen by Capital B – an evil capitalist who is a bee, you see.

Additionally, the game is drowning in Quillies, or Quills, or whatever. They’re more contrived bits of magical bullshit you pick up so you can buy new moves from Trowzer the snake (he’s named after a penis). Some of these moves are crucial to acquiring new Pagies, although the game doesn’t always tell you what moves are needed and when. In fact, it might make you navigate intricate and irritating jumping sections to get to your goal… only to find out you don’t have some as-yet unknown power and will have to repeat everything later. Yooka-Laylee loves pulling this snide little stunt on its players.

This is to say nothing of the awful minigames, none of which feel particularly optional since they all award Pagies. There are several “retro” arcade games that couldn’t even be bothered to use new character models to make anything look retro and take the form of piss-poor racing games or shooters.

While regular platforming, puzzles, and minigames ruin your day, you’re also having to deal with the dialog noises because this is a game that assaults the psyche on all possible levels. It was never really funny when Banjo-Kazooie replaced talking with grating grunts and moans, but in Yooka-Laylee it’s a loving nightmare. Unlike The Legend of Zelda, where one or two noises are enough to get the point across, dialog sections in Yooka-Laylee insist that characters bark and wheeze and groan constantly while talking – every syllable needs an atrocious bloody racket. Some of the cacophony can thankfully be skipped, but not all of it. Expect to hear plenty of hacking, snorting, and sneering as characters rattle off droll in-jokes and self-references to the point of saturation. Also, Yooka himself sounds like a total loving pervert every time he “speaks.” It’s actually quite distressing.

The dialog as written is only slightly less painful with terrible jokes that undeservedly throw shade at other games and Laylee’s “witty” quips routinely insulting the looks of any creature that isn’t her, often using derogatory nicknames based on their appearance. She’ll toss out slurs against snakes, shopping carts, clouds, she doesn’t care. Laylee is a complete racist, and as facetious as I’m being here, she really does come off as a hateful, nasty, thoroughly unlikable little bastard. Jokes are often repeated and fall firmly into cringe territory with hamfisted fourth-wall breaks and mockery of modern game design – things that could work in a better game, one that was well designed enough to get away with mocking things, or one that’s at least funny when it does so. Yooka-Laylee is not funny. In fact, as someone who backed it, I can safely say it’s a loving disaster.

like, ok, maybe it's just me, but a lot of it comes off as whining for the sake of whining or whining about things that people were expecting and hoping the game would do such as "be a collectathon where you explore worlds to find stuff." Yeah he's just a game reviewer so I shouldn't care but his whole rant still reads just...overly nitpicky??

idk. games journalism. :shrug:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Those sound like valid criticisms that other reviewers have expressed, although in a different tone. Jim doesn't like the game, and he states his reasons. Those same reasons might be why you like it.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to invalidate his reasoning, and I agree that there are things he complains about that I see as being intrinsic to the idea of "a new not-banjo-kazooie" game, so to me it just seemed weird to single out things like "there are items to collect that are more or less fancy keys" or "the combat isn't in-depth" or "there are moves that will help you solve puzzles to get other collectibles" or "there are minigames that get you collectibles" and it all comes off like........I dunno. I feel like his complaints don't necessarily deserve the level of outrage he's showcasing, but that's just me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Captain Invictus, post about the aerialbots and any aerialbots figures you have

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The aerialbots are cool because they are planes

I don't actually know anything about the aerialbots other than they are planes and they can combine.

I wish the SRW team was able to make a transformers super robot wars game.

Captain invictus, I know there is that decepticon train. Are there other train transformers, and if so, what are they

Besides the knockoff thomas the tank engine ones obviously

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I only ever had one transformers toy and it was a really cruddy one imo. It was "orcanoch" which was an orca that transformed into....this

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't want it since I have the wii u collection of 1 & 2 but I'm curious if the steam version will have any exclusives so I'm excited to see what they'd have

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember when I was a kid I would go to my neighbor's house and watch beast wars with him in the morning before going to school. One day his mom came in and said "you know, I don't like you two watching such a violent show." I said to her "it's not violent" because I'd never even seen any major violence in it, just standard kids cartoon lasers and stuff. Literally the moment I said that the show isn't violent, someone clawed open Optimus Primal's chest.

also, Rail Racer looks really cool and I hope he is, in fact, really cool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why the games chat thread gotta troll me like this 10 days after april fools day

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

imagine if mario could only back flip jump off of predetermined pads on the ground

It's really more like "imagine if mario could only perform his powers at predetermined points"

which happens to be exactly what mario 64 did in regards to the different cap powerups

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Wait, did Cosmic Star Heroine actually come out?

It's a god damned miracle.

It looks neat and interesting and I'm gonna play it one day and hope it is good :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

There's badass screen filling skeletons though and you can turn into a werewolf on command and just gently caress things up. It's cool that they were given a second chance by Konami to finish/fix their game [glances longingly at MGSV...]

It's too bad that the castlevania fighting game was not good (from what I'd heard) and also had awful art compared to what the series usually had. I liked that they included the werewolf guy in there. It would've been neat if they included the chainsaw dude since he was just a repurposed character they were originally going to include who was more or less just ash from evil dead (a dude with a chainsaw and shotgun) but they never went through with the character and just used the chainsaw parts for the gardener guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

the egg poop powerup. lol.

• Locked thread