Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Who else tried to serialize shows with different actors? I'd start plugging your brain there.

TD1 is just so good. My current favorite. The ep where Cole(?) is infiltrating the biker gang is better than 99% of movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

Who else tried to serialize shows with different actors? I'd start plugging your brain there.

Post Duchovny X-files is nothing to masturbate home about

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

ElectricSheep posted:

I feel like Skyler was done for in the eyes of many a viewer in the first episode, when she gave Walt a half assed handy for his 50th

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

A strong contender.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Groovelord Neato posted:

is there any show with a quality gap between seasons as bad as true detective.
Pretty sure the guy had been tossing around ideas for years before actually making season 1, then it did well and he had to hastily put together a second season. I get it, and season 2 had some stuff, but still, really disappointing.

A bunch of shows do the new season is a new story thing now, fargo is really good. I think there's a few others?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah TD season2 was awful and the most disappointing show, especially coming off the amazing first season

I really liked the unnerving rural Louisiana hellscape which really sold it well

I just started Fargo S2 and it's real good so far,

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
people have some rose tinted views of sopranos. show got bad and stupid. entire seasons were just bad tv

hey this mobster hits girls and we dont like that. hey but hes a made man and we cant do anything. boy thats a clever problem. oh now he likes your sister tony. another stupid problem that should thrill no one. gee how will it all end? an entire season of this
it got really bad when there were episodes i wished were about that one guys boring attempts at screenwriting

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Italians aren't white

Ever tried to sell an actual Italian on that (rather than an Italian-American)?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
no

I'm scared to talk to Italians lest I get whacked

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

gary oldmans diary posted:

people have some rose tinted views of sopranos. show got bad and stupid. entire seasons were just bad tv

hey this mobster hits girls and we dont like that. hey but hes a made man and we cant do anything. boy thats a clever problem. oh now he likes your sister tony. another stupid problem that should thrill no one. gee how will it all end? an entire season of this
it got really bad when there were episodes i wished were about that one guys boring attempts at screenwriting

i just watched the sopranos for the first time recently and i unironically agree 100%

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Groovelord Neato posted:

is there any show with a quality gap between seasons as bad as true detective.

in reverse, but parks and rec season 1 is god awful trash and seasons 2-7 are hilarious

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think a lot of shows from the late 90's to mid 00's suffer from being binge watched now. I recently watched a bunch of X-files/Buffy/Xena with the gf because she had never seen it due to being very religious when it came out and she was curious about TV from that time period (again because at the time she was 100% banned from ever watching non-Jesus and Joseph Smith centric media) and it reaaaally doesn't hold up if you watch huge bricks of it at one time. But then you remember that it was never meant to be watched in a block and poo poo like really repetitive story beats from episode to episode wouldn't have been apparent when you were watching it on a week to week basis.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Ever tried to sell an actual Italian on that (rather than an Italian-American)?

Northern Italians would probably enthusiastically agree that people from southern Italy aren't white, they even have a political party with that as their main platform

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

klapman posted:

parks and rec seasons 2-7 are hilarious

Disagreed. That show is sickeningly sweet.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was planning on recording The Sopranos

I forgot

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

The last season wasn't great, though it had it's moments. That one was good though. Only the one episode was solely about that guy and it was super-satisfying?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Breaking bad is good, but sci-fi TV is never good unless you are 14 years old of younger.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

fargo is really good

I quit halfway through the first season due to Billy Bob Thornton's amazing god powers that turned everyone he encountered into a complete retard.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

I quit halfway through the first season due to Billy Bob Thornton's amazing god powers that turned everyone he encountered into a complete retard.
lol that was a little silly at some points but if you take that as constant, the show is still brilliant. Like the wussy cop letting him go after he says "there be dragons" or whatever was pretty dumb, but it still paid off in a great scene where that cop had to explain that to his boss, who is pooping in a stall, and the boss conveys that he is angry by making the toilet paper roll squeak as he rapidly wipes to have a confrontation. It was such a realistic way to show anger in that scenario, I loved it.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Tumble posted:

it would have been a better ending but i'm still pretty happy with the show overall; i wish they focused more on the european connection instead of the nazis tho

Yeah, the scene where the Madrigal guy sloppily taste-tests some new sauces as a makeshift "last meal" before killing himself on the toilet is one of the best in the entire show.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I think a lot of shows from the late 90's to mid 00's suffer from being binge watched now. I recently watched a bunch of X-files/Buffy/Xena with the gf because she had never seen it due to being very religious when it came out and she was curious about TV from that time period (again because at the time she was 100% banned from ever watching non-Jesus and Joseph Smith centric media) and it reaaaally doesn't hold up if you watch huge bricks of it at one time. But then you remember that it was never meant to be watched in a block and poo poo like really repetitive story beats from episode to episode wouldn't have been apparent when you were watching it on a week to week basis.

I agree with this, whenever I try to mow through old shows on netflix I usually get bored before the first season is done even if its just a couple episodes a night, meanwhile when a modern one clicks and im bored on a sunday I'll watch like 5 hours of it no problem.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

numberoneposter posted:

Who else tried to serialize shows with different actors?

Fargo, and they pulled it off around the same time as True Detective.

Fargo seasons 1 and 2 are way better than True Detective seasons 1 and 2, like consistently good and also better. Noah Hawley made Nick Papagiorgio look like a chump.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Blue Train posted:

Hbo turned it down, and yea I would to see the alternate reality where they didn't because I'll bet it would be even better

Breaking Bad? HBO would have filled it with gratuitous sex and nudity and remove all the humor and charm. It would probably be even more focused though.

The Dennis System posted:

Disagreed. That show is sickeningly sweet.

I would say seasons 2-4 of Parks and Rec are great. It's cool how the first 4 seasons are mostly one tightly knit story about the power of people working together to accomplish one goal. It was to turn the pit into a community park and this inadvertently leads to Leslie joining city council with their help.

Season 5 and later is where it got nauseously upbeat and positive because the characters are no longer working on one goal but are all sent off on their own individual arcs in which they have endless great opportunities thrown at them
and every single thing works out perfectly for every character. It got so ridiculous that you couldn't even keep up with the character's arcs because they changed every 2 episodes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I would say seasons 2-4 of Parks and Rec are great. It's cool how the first 4 seasons are mostly one tightly knit story about the power of people working together to accomplish one goal. It was to turn the pit into a community park and this inadvertently leads to Leslie joining city council with their help.

Season 5 and later is where it got nauseously upbeat and positive because the characters are no longer working on one goal but are all sent off on their own individual arcs in which they have endless great opportunities thrown at them
and every single thing works out perfectly for every character. It got so ridiculous that you couldn't even keep up with the character's arcs because they changed every 2 episodes.

This is accurate. I think myself and most people I know got pretty tired of P&R after season 4/5, not it seemed to have got completely bad but just completely lost interest and one day you're like "wait i'm 2 seasons behind? ehh oh well", mostly for those reasons

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

von Braun posted:

Breaking bad is good, but sci-fi TV is never good unless you are 14 years old of younger.

The Expanse.
Dark Matter.
Black Mirror.
Continuum.
Defiance.
Travelers
Colony.

There's dozens more.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

von Braun posted:

breaking bad is pretty much science fiction

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the arguments for BB that state its a more mature show than most television are kinda silly, like its themes and its basic mythic approach have been done before, its just different in that it applies it to this meth dealer and this very specific subsection of american culture right now. there is nothing wrong with that, but i personally don't enjoy the execution.

Now Riverdale, that is a show with interesting things to say.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

the arguments for BB that state its a more mature show than most television are kinda silly, like its themes and its basic mythic approach have been done before, its just different in that it applies it to this meth dealer and this very specific subsection of american culture right now. there is nothing wrong with that, but i personally don't enjoy the execution.

Now Riverdale, that is a show with interesting things to say.
Lol yeah people have elevated it strangely, it's more like weeds but serious, especially in the first few seasons(which were especially hit and miss). Breaking bad was great but it wasn't like, amazing or world-shattering or anything.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I wish all shows could have the caliber of cinematography and editing that Breaking Bad had. A lot of scenes in the show are basically frivolous or unimportant but the cinematography alone is enough to make them interesting and fun to watch. Better Call Saul is an even better example because it uses the same style and is a super tense show despite not a whole lot happening in two whole seasons now.

lol its not even that great its just not Everybody Loves Raymond

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
*has literally only ever seen NCIS* the cinematography is beautiful. it's easily the best thing on television.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Weeds was bad

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Blue Train posted:

Weeds was bad
Look she had to balance being a ruthless criminal with being a mom, it's the same.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lol yeah people have elevated it strangely, it's more like weeds but serious, especially in the first few seasons(which were especially hit and miss). Breaking bad was great but it wasn't like, amazing or world-shattering or anything.

I mean all television drama is being elevated these days. We been in this so called golden age of tv for almost 20 years.

But its funny, because someone earlier in this thread said name a show with better writing than BB, and like the first thing that comes to my mind is a ton of different comedies. But we just don't give the same sort of prestige to televised comedies as we do dramas.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

nigga crab pollock posted:

*has literally only ever seen NCIS* the cinematography is beautiful. it's easily the best thing on television.

yeah seriously, like teen dramas and poo poo have had oddly good cinematography for a while now. its weird.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

I mean all television drama is being elevated these days. We been in this so called golden age of tv for almost 20 years.

But its funny, because someone earlier in this thread said name a show with better writing than BB, and like the first thing that comes to my mind is a ton of different comedies. But we just don't give the same sort of prestige to televised comedies as we do dramas.
Most comedy writing is pretty horrendous IMO. Comedy TV is better comedy movies at least but it's usually not great. I could type a goony rear end rant about comedy movies here if I were so inclined. Venture bros is my exception.

Deadwood, the wire, true detective s1 are all good answers to that question though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Most comedy writing is pretty horrendous IMO. Comedy TV is better comedy movies at least but it's usually not great. Deadwood, the wire, true detective s1 are all good answers to that question though.

I mean it depends on what you are looking at. Most drama writing is pretty horrendous, if you are looking at cop procedurals and so forth, and same for comedy if you are looking at network sitcoms. But like Review is written brilliantly, and if you allow for sketch the second season of the Birthday Boys is has some of the tightest sketches ever written.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Review is good and funny

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Comedy film is awful yeah. Like they can still be "entertaining" in that jokes are jokes and they make you laugh, but we used to have poo poo like a Fish Called Wanda, which has a brilliant script and works as an actual movie, not just a series of sorta funny scenes some of which are 'improvised"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I've never heard of that one so you got me!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Can we all agree that Back to the Future has a better script than Breaking Bad?

• Locked thread