Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Personally I'm waiting for Quebec to get their franchise, hire Therrien and Gainey as coach/gm, and then immediately sweep the Habs the first time they get into the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNOtoJ8vb0&t=110s

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I think the lawsuit against Wideman is bullshit because it seemed pretty clear he was out of sorts from getting his bell rung and didn't intentionally try to hurt Henderson.

I know we had this argument last year about intent and many people disagreed but I'm really still kind of shocked that people are in favor of him being sued for $10 million. That's horseshit. Henderson deserves something but there has to be some sort of insurance that covers these types of accidents on the ice, right?

I don't think Wideman meant to hurt him but he did mean to just fling him out of the way recklessly so he could get off the ice. If I'm bleeding from a wound and I drop kick an old lady who is in my way as I try to get into the hospital I should probably still be liable for damages caused to the old lady even though I'm in distress and not thinking clearly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Captain Internet posted:

CBJSprague24 sorry that this is how your guys season ended, after having by far your most successful regular season and then having to draw the Pens in the first round. I want you guys to win a playoff series. CBJ deserves it.

I'll echo that. If Columbus had gotten to face any of the other East teams except maybe the Caps I think they'd have won in the first round. The format is loving dumb. Columbus should have been bashing in the brains of Ottawa or whatever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Columbus wasn't going to beat anyone's brains in if Bob put up the save % he put up. You can't win with an .891 goalie, and I don't think his play was just because of who he faced. He let in some real sketchy goals.

e: 5 games and he broke a .900 save percentage (barely) in only one of them. I get that it's Pittsburgh but no team is going to win with goaltending like that.

Yeah Bob was terrible. The Pens offense is something else though. It's gonna be hard for anyone to keep them down.

It's pretty bad to be out dueled by Fleury in a playoff series. Still seems like Columbus is short a number one center too. Wennberg is solid but he was thoroughly invisible this series. Columbus just had nobody who could take over on offense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Btw for all the talk of Torts turning over a new leaf he skipped the handshake line last night lol.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Benson Cunningham posted:

The first thing he did was walk over to the other bench and start shaking hands, then he peaced the gently caress out of there. Don't make it out to be something it wasn't.

He skipped the line!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Paulocaust posted:

I love this forum of neckbeards that never played speaking authoratively about a sport they don't understand at all. You guys are all smarter than Mike Babcock, Lou Lam and Shanahan.

I dunno about those three but I'm pretty sure SAS could do a better job running a hockey team than Jim Benning, but that's more an indictment on Jim Benning than a commendation of our hockey knowledge.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Even in practice Marchand is a menace

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, and I don't get why people think the coaching/GM having to speak French in Quebec is such a ridiculous concept. it's a bit limiting sure, but a big part of those two roles in communicating with the public and when you're not understood by half of your fanbase that's a real issue. Some people in Toronto speak French, I really doubt that the Leafs would hire an exclusively Francophone head coach.

Yeah I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation at all. From a business perspective it makes sense to have your management be able to speak the language.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, plus the Habs are a business and understanding and effectively communicating with your key demographics is integral to the success of any commercial enterprise. There's a reason that Apple's keystone address is delivered in English each year and not Tagalog.

Wouldn't you be happier if Benning communicated in Japanese or something though? Then you wouldn't be able to get as easily enraged at his plans.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Buffalo should hire Megan.

Apparently Bill Guerin is interviewing with them lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whatis posted:

If I had to make a prediction for the Sabres' GM, I'm guessing they end up with one of Mike Futa, Julien BriseBois, or Jason Botterill. Futa was one of their top choices last time around, BriseBois seems like the ideal mix between experience and youth (though apparently there might be some contractual things that block him from leaving the organization at this time), and Pegula has lots of Pittsburgh connections that will likely have plenty of good things to say about Botterill.

My preference is 1) BriseBois, 2) Futa, and 3) Botterill. In terms of likelihood, I'd rank them 1) Futa, 2) Botterill, and 3) BriseBois. All three would be perfectly fine choices though.

Is Botterill interviewing? I hadn't heard if he is.

He's an interesting one because he was Shero's cap guru for years and was being groomed to be the next GM and then JR took over and it was still commonly assumed that Botterill was being prepared for that position after a brief JR tenure but now JR is showing no signs of wanting to retire any time soon.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
drat if Hischier or Patrick pan out the Flyers have a pretty good amount of talent.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My only complaint with EHM is it takes some time to sim a season. I'd love to be able to just quick sim months at a time but it still takes a while to do that even if you have everything set to sim fast.

It's a good game though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I have poured innumerable hours of my life into that game. I only stopped playing because I switched to mac and it's PC only. I know how smokers feel because even though I've been off it for a year or more and I realize what a waste it was, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

I just wish the AI was better. The computer is pretty awful at managing the cap and also at trading. You'll see guys reach free agency who never should.

Also I like the idea of human manager sackings but if you turn them on it's way too easy to get fired. You could win three cups in a row and miss the playoffs the next year and get fired. Or you can make a trade that is ridiculously in your team's favor but the fans/owner hate the poo poo out of you for it. I guess that latter one makes sense if you're trading a fan favorite or something but it seems to happen all the time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/859181533856284672

Not surprised by McDavid/Crosby, and the 3rd spot was up in the air so Bobrovsky? Sure.

Gonna be Mcdavid in a landslide anyways

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Yeah, freshest in the minds of the voters would be the last 20 games of the season where Burns had 2 goals and 8 assists going -4 while the Sharks went 9-11-0

Over that same period, Mcdavid getting 10 goals and 21 assits going +9 while the Oilers went 14-5-1

In the last 20 games, Mcdavid scored 31% of his season points total, Burns scored 14.4% of his points total. Burns went cold and his team suffered.

Ironically that should help Burns' case more not less since the Sharks were a hot puddle of poo poo when he wasn't playing like a Hart candidate.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Seriously man, less gravy.

Why do you think Pens fans always have to beat the traffic?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

But he stopped playing like a Hart candidate, so he isn't one.

that's how it works.

The Hart candidates they chose were fine but the season is about 82 games not the last twenty. Burns still had 76 points which is fantastic.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it possible for Jeremy Jacobs or Eugene Melnyk to open their mouths without saying something stupid?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like the guy posting that he's not a Sbisa fan but who do you replace him with?

Uhh....literally anyone else?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wish advanced stats were around when the Pens were complete garbage and basically an AHL team. I'd love to know what like Joe Melichar or Rico Fata's possession stats were

e: Or even better, the 93 Sens

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

That's acceptable as well

Really just about anything is acceptable short of the Caps, Pens, or Rangers winning.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mike_V posted:

I know teams have a couple of assistant coaches to run the D, forwards, and goalies, but do any teams employ someone exclusively for the PP or PK? Usually it's delegated to an existing coach, but if neither of those coaches are any good at PP or PK, what's stopping a team from hiring a dude to focus specifically on special teams?

Nothing I guess but it's usually the case that you want your coaches to be on the bench with the team in case in game adjustments need to be made. Harder to do that I suppose if your PP coach is sitting in the stands/locker/whereever.

Originally the Pens just had Jaques Martin watching games from above I think before they brought him behind the bench so it's not completely unheard of. I can't remember if Martin even ran anything specifically at the time though. I think he was more of a special advisor at that point who didn't coach any one thing but gave the coaching staff input on what he was seeing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The best thing about that Jagr debacle is the Flyers promptly eliminated the Pens in the playoffs the same year they signed him. Thanks Ray.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

So a couple of years ago I met a guy who was a professional skating...instructor, or something. He said then that McDavid was already one of the best skaters he'd ever seen, and this was when he was still in juniors. I assumed he was exaggerating and playing into McDavid draft hype, etc.

Now...I think he was right, and McDavid is probably the best all around hockey skater I've ever seen.

He's certainly the fastest skater I've ever seen. I'd put Crosby/Bure's edgework right up against Mcdavid's though.

All around though yeah you can make the case. Hard to compare across eras though but I don't think a player has made others look as silly with their skating ability since well....Orr.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I dunno about that. Maybe its because his competition was that much slower (or my personal bias), but Bure remains the fastest player I've ever seen at full speed. He could start several strides behind a guy at centre ice and have a clear cut breakaway by the blueline, I don't think anyone else in history that can match that. McDavid is better at quick pivots and stops, and he's probably the fastest player in the league today, but he doesn't touch Bure for acceleration or top end speed. McDavid is about a thousand times the distributor that Bure was though.

Seriously, I think people forget just how quick he really was before all the injuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSckoQzAITs&t=1111s

I dunno, it's close. I do think Bure was better with his shiftiness/edgework though. Mcdavid is fantastic at that too, but Bure absolutely embarrassed fools with his lateral movement. He was very Crosby-like in that regard but unlike Crosby he also had a top gear that was unmatched.

Bure was fuckin' ridiculous basically. I wish we'd seen him in today's NHL. It's perfectly designed for his game.

Mcdavid just has those long strides though. He kinda fools teams because sometimes it doesn't even look like he's going at mach 10 but it's two or three long quick strides and he's suddenly creating a chance out of nothing. With Bure he was smaller so you knew he was coming at you at light speed but you still couldn't stop him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

So Ovechkin had a lower body injury and was on pain-killing injections. Not going to Worlds which is a big deal for him.

Sucks but I can't really complain about injuries given the team they lost to.

Like honestly I'm looking at the series and it really just seems like it was Fleury being much, much better than Holtby which decided the series.

Partly goaltending, partly luck. Partly really bad breakdowns against at awful times. They cleaned that up from games 5 to 7 but games 1 & 2 they gave the Pens some easy goals. Fwiw Holtby was pretty good in game 7 and it wasn't on him that they lost that one.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think the Caps should freak out and change a bunch though. As maddening as it is you probably just keep soldiering on with that core and hope the bounces work out eventually. It's not that statistically improbable to have the playoff failures they've had.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

Well, yeah, and that Hall trade wasn't in any way one-sided. Any GM would be smart to give up Hall for that return.

Larsson stinks. Just because Edmonton made the playoffs does not make that a good trade. They still would have been way better off keeping TayTay rather than a defenseman who broke even in CF and had 19 points.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

So...let's assume that Larsson was the absolute best defenseman Taylor Hall could bring back.

Do you:
1) Roll with Hall and...I dunno...Dillon Simpson playing regular NHL minutes
2) Do the trade and have a much improved defense

That offense with TayTay though would have been sick. They should have just kept him and toughed it out. I bet they still would have been in the thick of things by the deadline and then you just trade for some useless guy who can eat minutes and not be too awful. And then you try again in the off season to find another guy and you still have an awesome forward group.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Agreed but there's also the "we need to get Connor into the playoffs as soon as loving possible if we want him here for a decade" factor

Yeah I guess there is that though players usually show loyalty to the team that drafted them even when it's undeserved. Tavares looks set to cling to the Isles despite them being mismanaged for years

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Golden Man posted:

Sure. But this group is also trying to correct 10 years of desert wandering kicked off specifically by a generational talent in Pronger saying "nah im good, peace". A lot of the decisions theyve made (smart or stupid) I think are being made in the specific context of "keep mcdavid happy at any loving cost whatsoever"

It's not the worst philosophy to have. The Penguins do things the same way even when it means doing dumb things like putting old rear end Kunitz with Crosby just because that's what Sid likes. It took two years of Kunitz sucking for that to finally stop.

Also I miss Pronger. There's a lot of poo poo heels in the league now that need a good stomping.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Reading some of the comments from the Caps exit interviews today and it sounded like Shattenkirk is pretty set on testing free agency (aka going to the Rangers) whereas Oshie would prefer to stay in Washington.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah Shattenkirk is gone. Oshie sounds like he wants to stay but if the Capitals can't/won't make a competitive offer I find it hard to believe Oshie turning down millions of dollars.

Yeah I'm not sure how they fit even one of them in right now. Maybe they buy out Orpik to squeeze out a little bit more cap space but then they'd have to replace him and Shattenkirk both (not to mention Alzner) and I'm unfamiliar with the Caps system and whether they have the guys to do that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They'll have close to 23 million in cap space this summer. The priority is Kuznetsov/Burakovsky/Orlov, but even if they get generous raises there should still be more than enough left over for Oshie with change to spare on depth players.

You forgot Schmidt as well who I assume they will very much want to keep. I assume Kuznetsov gets like 6 mil or so, Orlov 3-4, Burakovsky 3 or so, and Schmidt 2-3. So you probably have something like 11-14 million or so depending tied up in those four guys. Add Oshie at 5-6 million and you're suddenly pretty tight up against the Cap while still needing to replace Williams, Winnik, Alzner, and Shattenkirk.

Grubauer is also an RFA but I assume Vegas will take him though I guess it's possible they lean elsewhere. Connolly too but he should also be dirt cheap and if not they'll tell him to gently caress off.

I think it can be done to keep Oshie but it's gonna require some good luck with the RFAs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't know where the Shattenkirk being interested in Vegas stuff is coming from. That's not how I read his comments at all. He sounded much more inclined to go to a team where he knew what to expect as far as role and everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Schremp Howard posted:

Someone is going to overpay for Shattenkirk to be a number one defenseman and then be very disappointed when they find that isn't his ideal role.

Are they?

Seems pretty good to me. He's probably worth a good chunk of change just because of his abilities as a #1 pp qb if nothing else.

• Locked thread