Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Habs fans enormously overrate their young defensemen but a 3rd is still nothing.

Jake Guentzel and Matt Murray are 3rd round picks :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Other legendary 3rd round picks of the Pittsburgh Penguins include Mike Robertson, Alex Schoenborn, Dylan Sadowy, Max Gaede, and Harrison Ruopp.

Also Robert Bortuzzo, Bryan Rust, and Kris Letang

The Pens are extraordinarily bad with 2nd round picks though. The last second rounder they drafted that turned into a good NHLer was Alex Goligoski in 2004, and before that you have to go back to 1994 with Richard Park to even get a halfway decent NHLer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

It's kind of irrelevant anyway. Grubeaur is the obvious pick unless there's a trade to protect him.

That seems likely but since they're apparently dead set on Maf I wonder if that's what they'll do.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's real weird that the team whose narrative their entire playoff run was "can the Penguins pull off the Stanley Cup with defensemen this bad?" chose to protect 4F/4D.

There is no rational reason for Vegas to take MAF rather than Rust unless the Pens are giving them some encouragement in the form of draft picks.

If Vegas straight up just drafts MAF that'll be a solid indicator that Marketing has too much input into picking the roster

e: Also it pains me to type this because I love Hornqvist so much but protecting him and exposing Rust is insane. Hornqvist is 30 and has 1 year left on his contract (at $4.75M), Rust is 24 and still a year way from *restricted* free agency. I mean in the end it's just Bryan Rust and the Pens still have more good forwards than they know what to do with for now. But a habit of getting sentimental with your roster and cap space is a good way to end up in cap hell and/or with fatally little depth.

Maf is more valuable than Rust in terms of what he'd contribute to a team in the short term so if they're going for win now he's definitely the better pick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rust is underrated, including by PAS apparently, for his defensive/forechecking contributions. Guys that can fly like he does aren't that common. But yeah, it will hardly cripple the Penguins to lose him and they probably aren't going to lose him anyway.

I wonder if Vegas will make MAF honorary captain like Luongo was :unsmith:

I like Rust but I think he's not that unique. He's a solid player who is fortunate to be on a really good team.

I think there's a lot of Bryan Rusts and Conor Shearys out there that would thrive given a similar role on the Penguins.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope Vegas takes Jagr. That's like Jagr's dream location: gambling and hockey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Matt Murray definitely falls in the cocky rear end in a top hat category of goalies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm fine with keeping him if they take Hagelin instead. Gotta clean up the budget somehow.
It would be very weird given the narrative out of Pittsburgh all the same. MAF seems convinced he's going somewhere.

Nah he needs to go. We don't need all that money tied up in a backup goalie. Obviously it worked out this year but 9/10 times that's just wasted cap space.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I had a weird dream that the Hurricanes signed Shattenkirk. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, and I have no idea why I'd have that dream.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Did you fall asleep watching the Star Trek TOS episode where the Enterprise flies into a hurricane?

Don't doxx me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I won't be surprised if the Pens sign Doan on the cheap to take Cullen's role

They're not signing a fossil winger. If they go that route they'd just sign Kunitz back.

e: I guess they're going the New York Islanders practice jersey route with that new Preds jersey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like the Vegas Golden Hitlers jerseys.

Also Buffalo has something like twenty pipes on their jersey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Typical Goon posted:

Pens literally have to pay Vegas to take Fleury. So much for all that 'he's an elite winner and better than Rinne' that some Pens fans were going on about yesterday

https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/status/877453227007987712

They made the deal back in February when he was having a lovely season so that's not surprising.

I don't care even if it's a high pick because the cap space will be nice and also the Penguins are b2b champs.

e: The Blackhawks are cheating again eh?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Bobby Ryan is going on LTIR with an accute case of suck-itis.

Ah who am I kidding it's not like Melnyk would use that cap space anyways.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I actually have a teammate in beer league who has some kind of skin allergy thing he gets and it causes him to miss seasons here and there so yeah that stuff is no joke.

but gently caress the Hawks though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The NHL is really knocking its award presenters out of the park again I see.

I think Mario is supposed to present some award. Guess it'd be Player of the Year maybe? i dunno

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Isabelle Kurshadyan posted:

Can confirm that Philipp Grubauer *was not* selected by the Vegas Golden Knights. Means it's likely that D Nate Schmidt is the pick.

That seems....bad for the Caps. Schmidt was their best d in the playoffs I thought. Grubauer is pretty good too though so I guess it was always lose/lose.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Connor "Money" Mcdavid

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens signed Ruhwedel for 2 years at 650k per year. I'm fine with that. He's acceptable as a 7th.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Oilers and Russell are finalizing a deal for 4 years at $4Mish. So they downgraded from Eberle to Strome to sign a defenceman that couldn't find an NHL job until October last year. Why?

gm of the year

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I just love that the Penguins won back to back Cups using speed and skill and people are still signing the Kris Russells of the world to huge deals.

Actually I guess if you watched the lovely Pens d this playoffs you might think bad dmen is the way to go.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lou is notoriously quiet about everything he does. You're lucky he even granted an interview.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's a good deal for the Jackets

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm terrified they're going to flub the 7OA pick. I can't stop thinking about it.

That's Derrick Pouliot territory baby

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

I think the Oilers still have the worst signing for today but the Caps made a hell of a push.

They'll just have him LTIR because of a food allergy or some poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Reaves is a little better at playing hockey than Sestito so we can have him beat the tar out of people who dare touch Sidney.

Uh trading Sundqvist is weird though since many had him penciled in as the potential 4c if Cullen retires. If we lose Cullen/Bones I have no idea what JR's plan for centers is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/878435594338267137

Sure we won the Stanley Cup back-to-back but what about our stars getting hit a lot???

We've got the Cups, now it's time for vengeance.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lindy Ruff knows how to coach defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's crazy to me that next year kids will be being drafted that were born in 2000.

• Locked thread