Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yotes sign mario kempe. older brother of la king adrian kempe and former 2007 fifth round pick of the flyers. put up 34 points in 56 games in this khl this year. 1 year 2 way deal

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPC16r1zg20 cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

You can buy violent gentlemen branded coffee now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

steve sullivan got promoted from director of player development to assistant GM for the coyotes.

also, lol
http://www.tsn.ca/wild-owner-i-wish-we-hadn-t-traded-for-hanzal-1.755283

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dylan strome has like the worst hair in the world and he put up 7 points in the ohl playoffs to set a record.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

he seemed like a boyd gordon guy that everybody loved and was a fringe nhler based on his hockey iq alone so he should be a good scout. glad to see he was up and around and even able to skate so quick

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

no third jersey really sucks for the coyotes.

I wonder what's the future of the kachina jersey too, they are ccm branded (owned by reebok)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

It's cool that the well-adjusted people get into scouting or just say gently caress it and go golfing and the psychos like berube and dale hunter go into coaching. We're probably going to see perry, dustin brown, thornton, marchand, and i dunno crosby, all teach their teams to go king of the hill bobby on nutsacks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

iospace posted:

Coach Patrick Roy

Mike smith would be a good candidate for this too

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mike_V posted:

What is Steve Ott going to coach any of them about aside from chirping?

He should have gone into the individual player coaching niche to teach guys to be a veteran and get stupid deals from GMs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think the 5 years remaining on his deal would scare off vegas but 7MM for 2 or 3 years would be fine if that gave them enough salary to take another matt murray or whatever cheap RFA.

Looking at the capfriendly quick protect thing maybe dzingel is exposed and i'd take him

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

they can just pick him in the expansion draft, although i assume offer sheet means that pens fans are resigned to lose matt murray too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dan snyder didn't let them use his field?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

yeah but it sounds like they're gonna overdo it of course

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/869315896183066624

so the avs and the rangers too probably

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

it's a little different than just a dude backing down from statements

that's basically exactly what i suspected. he probably doesn't like kessel on the ice either

Gio posted:

how does something like this even happen? two goalies at 10 is absurd, but to then go ahead and sign a third for six years/$5 mil per? jesus.

they have a bunch of cap space and a really obvious gaping hole in their lineup and the other two goalies are gone after this year

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Powershift posted:

They have a cap floor, so they'll also get highly paid under performing first/second liners.

I'd be surprised if edmonton protects Eberle.

Captain Eberle, Fleury in goal, they're already better than Phoenix.

vegas is going to be the oilers 2 years ago with less #1 overall picks and arizona is going to feast on that

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

2 years ago the oilers had yak nuge and hall

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the best they can hope for is like, sign thornton/radulov and pick bobby ryan, which strikes me as the opposite of sabremetrics

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gio posted:

this. just this.

i dont get how vegas is supposed to make money; supposed to not always suck; supposed to have a fanbase.

i dont get why the nhl needed a 31st team at all.

well ideally the new team smell dovetails nicely with a young core emerging.

even if it doesn't go well then they can still probably exist like the coyotes do

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gio posted:

q: is arizona even profitable, or are they literally being held on life support so the league can save face?

we don't know but they're probably fine. they're getting new investors and they managed to announce (and back out, but still) a new arena. to top it off phoenix is the fifth largest city in the nation plus the roadrunners are probably helping their tv numbers more than having a ahl team in loving maine did.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Schlesische posted:

Vegas is hoping that people from places like Montreal, Toronto, New York and Boston are going to go "hey, I want to go on a trip to watch my team play, why don't I double up and go on a trip to Vegas".
Vegas is also a large enough city for hockey and, if (it's a big if), they can average well over 10k every night they'll be fine.

arizona does this and the problem is that nobody wants to see the california teams or the bad teams back east, and now you can throw in vegas/arizona as teams that the other side is going to have a hard time filling the arena half full

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

On one hand, you can't bank on opposing fans to fill your home arena. On the other hand, wow, the difference between Las Vegas and Scottsdale as tourist destinations. One business plan is a bit more tenable.

the big tourism industry in phoenix is snowbirds

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

and you absolutely can bank on other team's fans to fill your arena. plenty of teams have all sorts of schemes where you have to buy a week of games to see your hawks game or premium pricing or whatever. the problems are that you can't have a 100k seat stadium to fill to the gills with chicago assholes and then a 5k one the next day when the coyotes roll into town to play some really boring hockey

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

another thing about the arizona snowbirds is that they live here so they're already here in the hockey season.

i agree that the plane ride and tickets for less than a game at home thing is probably way less occurring than message boards make it out to be, but seemingly half of phoenix is from philly/pittsburg/ny/minnesota or wherever too.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sestito is also a gamebreaker

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

idiot caveman could definitely use some education

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

here's a funny icy cold take https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647126&pagenumber=56&perpage=40#post432891173

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2015.html

Austrian mook posted:

The New Jersey Devils will make the 2014-15 Stanely Cup playoffs :toxx:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think players are going to gently caress with the rules no matter what, and the only reason they should switch to a plane vs the line on the ground is if it's easier to call correctly. That one in game 2 where we had a grainy ice-level still was godawful because the skate blade was reflecting the light colored ice and disappeared into the white boards.

That said, the entire "did he pick up his skate" review process is terrible TV and maybe they should change it because of that alone.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I think i'd trade any attempt at fixing the offsides challenge for being able to challenge penalties. Everyone in the NHL repeats the mantra of "well we gotta get it right" and then it seems like every other game there's a slow motion shot of a guy whiffing on a high stick and getting called for it anyways.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like my idea of deflections in the offensive neutral zone being icing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i liked newell brown when we hired him but this past year we'd have drop passes in our own zone on the pp and it was just awful to watch

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infrared lasers from the ceiling and an infrared camera feed the refs can look at, and then change the offsides rule to be a plane instead of skate touching

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'd take toews or hossa but i don't think hossa wants to be a coyotes and toews would have to win an arm wrestling match or mantracker showdown against doan for 19.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this was on puck daddy a while ago that's a little more complete:

quote:

June 12: Teams that are due to submit a protected list, excluding those preoccupied with a (potential) Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final, have until this point to request players with no-movement protection to waive that immunity. The Penguins and Predators will be extended until 5 p.m. ET the day after the Cup is raised, meaning a Marc-Andre Fleury sit-down could occur up to three days after, say, Kevin Bieksa is called into Bob Murray’s office.

June 15: One day after a (potential) Game 7 marks the beginning of the first buy-out period. Teams face the deadline to formally request that players surrender their “No move” for the purpose of a buy out.

June 16: This is last chance for general managers to place players on waivers before the Expansion Draft/Trade freeze. Meanwhile, players asked to waive their protection to accommodate the expansion strategy have until 5 p.m. ET to agree.

June 17: The freeze commences. Non-expansion teams simultaneously submit their protected lists, which puts a full stop on activity outside the Vegas boardroom.

June 18: Protected lists are dispersed league-wide (this includes Vegas) by the NHL, and the Golden Knights officially have the floor. The free agent interview period opens for the expansion club from the moment the lists are distributed. This only applies to players who have been exposed.

June 21: Vegas must submit its selections, including any standard player contract signed with a restricted or unrestricted free agent by 10 a.m. ET. The selections will be announced later that night in concurrence with the NHL Awards.

June 22: The freeze is lifted, allowing all 31 teams to resume normal day-to-day business. This comes literally just in time for the NHL Draft, which begins the next day because things aren’t chaotic enough.

12th could be interesting, 22nd could be insane

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the funny thing is that the coyotes are looking at exposing mike smith who would be leagues better behind a bad team than fleury would be.

ryan miller or mason or whomever on a 2 year deal with the acknowledgement that developing domingue is the #1 concern would be good

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

noted nontraditional, small-market team chicago

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm more pissed about television parity than competitive parity

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Anybody who says they were a Blackhawks fan prior to like 2005 is a liar. The club actively hated their own fan base for decades.

so your point is they've had a decade of being the yankees?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this was a really bad final basically from dumb luck and not because of some warriors kevin durant superteam parity problem. the goal differential for the winning team was +18 in the final 5 games of the series, and the preds did win 2 of them. i think i watched maybe 2 games spread across the series because i'd turn on the tv and the score would be 3-0 or there was some bullshit goal or non goal or review going on. hockey is great but this wasn't a good example of it. also there was no overtime

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whatis posted:

adidas posted 25ish teasers for their new jerseys that are being unveiled next tuesday

https://twitter.com/adidashockey

what's going on with the canucks one? is that a new logo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Their crest is white on their blue sweaters, I'm guessing it's just that.

e) the best news is that it looks like the rumors of the Oilers going back to the desaturated colors were wrong.

yeah i just realized it's just their current home colors. the cropping threw me off

• Locked thread