Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

yellowcar posted:

Bergevin desperately making phone calls begging the other GMs to vote for Weber because he doesn't want to be seen having made the worst trade in history.

That's not even the worst trade involving the Habs shipping out a current top defenseman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

The playoff thread title needs to be "I'm Worried About My Team Because __________".

I will correct another poster's worries to include my thoughts.

Levitate posted:

just so everyone realizes the Rangers D is tonight is something like

Staal-Girardi
:smith:-Klein
Kampfer-Clendenning

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

-Obviously a small sample size, but Curtis Lazar has more pts in 3 games (2) then he did in his previous 33 with Ottawa (1). I'll heartifly chuckle if goes all Leon Draisaitl for us.

I guess they got a decent return for him, but it is funny to see the Sens giving up on young guys (Lazar and Puempel) who couldn't score at all when they played on a line with Chris Kelly and Chris Neil, who are drat close to the biggest offensive void in the league. Here's the fancy stats take:

Of skaters who played at least 100 minutes, Kelly and Neil rank 715 and 716 out of 719 players in on-ice goal differential (~21%) and goals for per 60m (~.62) meaning the team scored, on average, one goal per 96 minutes those two were on the ice. That's on a team with a 71-point defenseman playing 27m a night.

Not that Lazar and Puempel are anything special, but Neil and Kelly are the worst duo in the league.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It's a foregone conclusion that Chris Neil, who is dumber than you even think he is, will be going into the Senators front office. They're actively talking to him about what role he wants to be in.

As a lifelong Sen and tough guy, he'd probably be great at schmoozing with season ticket holders, sort of what Brett Hull does in St. Louis, or community/charity stuff. Maybe "player development" as a mentor to young guys. You're only hosed if he ends up in scouting, coaching, or GM-ing.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

This just made me realize that Michael Del Zotto is only 26 years old. He's played in the NHL for 8 years.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Yzerman handled the Stamkos situation well and he aced the Conacher/Bishop swap, but he also traded Gudas plus a first and third for Coburn, and signed Callahan to a contract worse than any on the Wings. Callahan put up four points in 18 games, and is signed for three more years at $5.8m each.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Schlesische posted:

If Sakic had offloaded his "young stars" at the in-season trade deadline he would have had to have accepted significant underpay.

He was looking for a Sergachev (who... no. Just no.) from the Habs for Duchene. That kind of trade only gets made if you're going up against a really dumb GM on a team desperate to break through. They don't seem to be as prevalent as they did 5 years ago.

I don't think that's much of a stretch. Duchene is 26, signed for two more years at a reasonable cap hit, and is a very good player. Players of that caliber and age rarely become available, and it may be worth mortgaging the future for a handful of potential contenders.

Just as a theoretical, pencil Duchene into Nashville's roster. Formidable on paper, key players at the right ages for opening the window, and their chief divisional rival under their foot. They've even got the cap space.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

My favorite part of the Buffalo rebuild is that they only had six picks in the draft where they got Eichel.

That, and when they traded a third for the rights to Jimmy Vesey, who had no intention of signing with them.

They did a bad job of rebuilding and didn't manage to get a lot of talent beyond a few high first round picks, and they decided to hand out some big veteran contracts way too early (Okposo, Moulson)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Powershift posted:

The bishop thing will be extra funny because Budaj was an okay backup, and if bishop leaves and quick gets injured again the Kings are going to make the Avalanche look like a professional hockey team by comparison.

Isn't it great? It's even funnier because Bishop lost 3/4 games to Calgary as a King, which gave them the points to make the playoffs over the Kings.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

The Leafs shouldn't think the rebuild is done yet. They should still be focusing on drafting and development for the next few years until it's clear they're an actual contender and didn't just get lucky this year. Pivoting to win now is a very risky maneuver. Their best bet is to keep drafting BPA and hoping that players like Rielly, Dermott and Nielsen continue to trend upwards as a solution to their back end deficiencies.

That's a good point. Even if they're stocked on top end talent who are +1/2/3 years from being drafted, they're not a contender yet. They probably aren't fetching that caliber of talent again, but they'll be good for long enough that in 3-6 years they're going to be looking for a bit more affordable depth from younger players on ELCs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Avs lost
I won
Here's 48 points
Now wasn't that fun?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

If you took one point from every team who missed the playoffs this year, and counted them up, you would be Carl Soderberg, tallying 14 points.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I was super disappointed in him this year because he doubled his career penalty minutes from 4 to 8 in 237 games.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is it possible Lou re-signed Smith with the idea of leaving him unprotected?

Not a goon, not protected. ;)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

grack posted:

It's gonna be an issue next season with Tryamkin gone, unless Juolevi or Pedan is ready to play full time.

Isn't Pedan... not very good? I saw him a few times when he played in Bridgeport and he was slow and looked outmatched by most AHLers.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I think the NHL wants Kovalchuk back because he's a Russian superstar, and in general it is best for the league to have the best talent there is. It probably also helps to bring Russians over when their choice is coming to the NHL or playing in the Olympics, because it gives them a little bit more leverage when they're trying to push the WC over the Olympics. Small things, but Kovy coming back can only be good for the NHL.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

So was Marc Staal always bad or did he just get old and slow ever since he got concussed by his brother?

He's a physically gifted defenseman who was great at his physical/scoring peak (age 23-24) but missed significant portions of two seasons with major injuries (concussion+eye) so his experience peak (age ~27) was hampered by that. Once he got back on track from missing practice/conditioning due to those injuries, age was working against him, his team and the league's style of play was changing away from his forte, and the Rangers also picked up a star #1 LHD (McDonagh) who replaced him. His role changed, from Torts leaning on him for as many minutes as possible, to AV doing the opposite of sheltering him. He's good with positioning, using his stick and body. He's not good at getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Staal never had a lot of offensive talent, and the eye injury definitely didn't help. He's pretty good at knowing when to join the rush, but very weak at quick movements with the puck, both passing and peeling away from guys to protect it and move it.

Hello, offseason. I'm not mad about the Rangers defense and I'm impressed by how the team has creatively reworked its lineup every year and gotten a pretty good result.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

"Fire AV, trade everyone, somehow get Sidney Crosby and Patrick Kane and hire Mark Messier to lead them and the Hartford Wolf Pack to victory."

-Rangers fans

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Chris Boyle breaks down Lundqvist's performance. Worse than his career average on tipped shots and cross-ice passes, a bit better on rebounds, otherwise the same. I think part of this can be attributed to terrible defense.

http://www.msgnetworks.com/2017/05/11/puck-luck-abandons-rangers-at-the-wrong-time/

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I hope the Rangers re-sign Smith and sign Shattenkirk, keep McDonagh and Skjei, and change the rest of the defense. Not just change for the sake of change, but trying to find defensemen who fit better with their forwards and fast style.

Holden scored 11g 23a this year and has a cap hit of 1.65m for one year. Based on that career year, he's got more trade value than the 4th round pick they traded for him.
Klein slowed down a lot but is still a serviceable RHD with GRIT and a cap hit of 2.9m for one more year, he just hasn't really fit in NY this year.
Girardi is old and slow but at least he's serviceable with McDonagh. He has a partial NTC starting this summer and is signed for three more years.
Staal is signed for four more years with a NMC and just needs a change of scenery, or at least that's what we'll be telling everyone who plays with his brothers.
Kampfer just signed a two-year, two-way extension and seems like a perfect guy to compete for a #6/7 spot with the rookies they're looking to bring in.
Clendening is a RFA so I guess he's sticking around or getting traded for Danny Kristo.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Glambags posted:

All of these guys suck

This is true, but they could make a decent bottom pairing if they picked two of them who are not Clendening, who sucks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Shattenkirk is going to get paid a lot of money to be really good next to McDonagh or Skjei.

gently caress I spelled "Girardi" wrong again

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

:hfive:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I know Roy doesn't have the best reputation, but perhaps it says something good that he bailed on the Avs in frustration with their roster management the year before they were historically terrible.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Schlesische posted:

He didn't sign in Montreal because Molson wouldn't give him a strong say in what the GM did. Colorado had no such qualms.

He was the coach and pres of hockey ops iirc, meaning he was absolutely as liable for making that garbage fire of a team as Sakic.

He quit before that happened, because he didn't have enough influence. Seeing the impending collapse and bailing should affect his reputation a bit.

When the Avs traded Nick Holden to the Rangers, Patrick Roy called Alain Vigneault and told him "you got my best defenseman." Holden has a cap hit of 1.65m and posted a career best 11g 23a 34p. It seems that Roy thought this guy might be more useful than the fourth round pick they got for him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nick Holden had 34 points this year. The Avalanche had 34 fewer points this year than last year. Coincidence? I think not, please accept my fancy stats.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Remember the last guy who got run out of Montreal for "character issues?"

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Hopefully the Jets don't protect Lowry over Perreault. Perreault is a legitimate top line winger and a possession monster, he'd almost certainly be Vegas' best forward (which is kind of sad, they are going to have a terrible offence)

I know he has been playing wing recently, but Perrault would be a first line center in Vegas. If he's not exposed, I think their top options are Adam Lowry and Oscar Lindberg.

A Typical Goon posted:

I think a Raanta deal to Winnipeg before expansion makes a lot of sense too, the Jets reportedly were on of the final teams that were interested in him back when he was a FA

What might the Jets be offering? Probably something similar to the Talbot deal, which was a 2nd+3rd?

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 13, 2017

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I can't believe people are still underrsting Josi. He's a different style, but he and subban are definitely equal defenseman.

Protect the 4 D, protect Johansson, Forseberg, and Ardvidson, and just pick whatever other forward.

They'll probably lose Neal, but at this point I'm ok with that, he's replaceable, especially with the stupid penalties he took in the finals.

Moving Neal's 5m cap hit would give them enough capspace (22m+) to resign Johansen, Arvidsson, and Fisher then go after Duchene. Fisher is their #2 center and turning 37, but their top 4 D are 26-28 and top 3 F are 22-24. That's a team that can mortgage the future and offer a lot of picks/prospects for a guy like Duchene right now.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Kevin Klein *really* doesn't want to get picked and flipped by Vegas.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

iospace posted:

Question, is there anything you DON'T do?

Shibby don't do rebounds.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

Take a shot for Girardi, he took one for you

I'll attempt two for every one he does.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Farewell, Dan Girardi. You blocked more shots than a Republican playing baseball.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Bobby Mac saying Stepan is involved in some trade chatter. He doesn't usually say anything unless it's fairly solid info so maybe he'll be dealt soon.

I read some non reputable proposals of Stepan for Galchenyuk a few days ago and laughed it off until I thought about the GMs involved.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Girardi and Staal were pretty good once, right? They just got old and busted?

Yeah, that and systems changes and the league speeding up. Staal never made it back to the same level after an eye injury and concussion. Girardi is 33 and has blocked thousands of shots, thrown thousands of hits, and played through every injury.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

That turd IncarceratedBob is apparently saying the Jets, Avs, and Wild are in on Stepan. Grain of salt.

Stepan to Wild, E. Staal drafted by Vegas, M. Staal waives NTC for Vegas. Please.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I like Stepan, but I also like how every player thrown around in trade talks has been younger than him.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Wow, the Habs managed to get a Quebecois first line center. Sergachev is probably going to be really good for a long time, but I guess since they went all-in-right-now with Weber, this is also a good move since Drouin is good right now and has plenty of years left.

Duck Rodgers posted:

e: Also how often is it a team that breaks a trade?

The last few moves - this and the Girardi buyout - have been broken by the teams themselves. I think the league is making a concerted effort to do this rather than having the media start squeaking it out bit-by-bit.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Oh. In that case, they're doomed.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Vegas isn't going to win-now, but considering MAF's reputation for being very good in the locker room while his role was taken over by an up-and-coming goalie, he'd be good for that.

I could see them grabbing MAF, Grubauer, and Raanta, then trading the latter to a team who wants him right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Rust is a dime-a-dozen player, there are quite a few other wingers who could put up 30 points in less favorable situations. He's younger and cheaper, but he also played with Sidney loving Crosby and put up fewer points than Dustin Brown.

I think the pick from the Pens mostly depends on whether or not they want MAF to start for them, or if they're confident in starting Raanta or Grubauer.

• Locked thread