Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

That DICK! posted:

In retrospect showing the insurance person convo as the final scene of that episode a few back makes way more sense now. Jimmy won in court and Chuck could have lived but Jimmy had to twist the knife. Way more powerful looking back

One way I think Howard could come back into the story next season: Howard feels guilty because he sees his actions regarding the insurance snafu as being what drove Chuck to suicide. Howard confides in Jimmy about this, perhaps at Chuck's funeral, which is how Jimmy finds out that him screwing over Chuck at the end of "Expenses" is what triggered that chain of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

They need to jump past BB and make the show about Gene and his arc of redemption. Maybe season 5? I don't think they can keep threading water like that, the ratings are really bad. Season 4 needs to be done with Jimmy.

Most major plot threads are wrapped up now. It's the perfect moment to reorient the show.

We still need to find out why Jimmy gets rid of his cocobolo desk and replaces it with Kim's when he moves into his strip mall location. We can't move on until we know this.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I think you'll find the ultimate fault lies with the man who, rather than check himself into a mental institution ala Healey from OITNB, instead chooses to set himself on fire.

I don't think suicidal people can really be held accountable for their suicidal actions. That doesn't mean it's anyone else's fault either, of course.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The ultimate fault lies with Jimmy who was an enabler for Chuck's delusions all those years. If he had just made him go to a psychiatrist or demonstrated to him conclusively that his lepton allergy is psychosomatic, Chuck wouldn't have lost three years of his life. Jimmy sucks. Same goes for Howard who also enabled him.

Of course Jimmy's intentions were pure, as usual. He didn't want Chuck to suffer in a mental institution. He thought it was better for him to be at home and comfortable.

Ironically, it's only when his intentions are less than pure that he ends up doing the right thing by Chuck by refusing to humor in his delusion, spurring him to seek mental treatment.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

you're a real winner

I have a friend who concedes that Skyler was always in the right but still thinks that within the structure of the show Skyler was a "villain" who you were supposed to hate. But even that doesn't make sense because even if you take Walt's point of view, he never, ever hated her. He got frustrated with her sometimes for thwarting his criminal activities, but she was never a villain in his eyes. There's no rational way to watch the show and come away hating Skyler, not even if you're totally pro-Walt. That's what's so baffling about the whole thing.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RJWaters2 posted:

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/833350083886379008
Sounds like he's gone for good. If we're lucky, a cold open flashback or two.

I looked up that TMBG song on YouTube and this is one of the first comments:

quote:

At the last TMBG show I went to, Linnell said it's about a band who is getting older and keep saying that this is their last tour, but then never really retire. He compared this song to the longevity of The Rolling Stones.

So clearly this is a hidden message from Michael McKean about how Chuck is still alive and will use his new lease on life to re-join Spinal Tap and go on a world tour with Rebecca as the band's newly added violinist.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

There was definitely something running in Chuck's house -- unless the spinning wheel was just a hallucination, which I think it very well could be since the numbers themselves don't change from shot to shot.

If it was a small current then it might take a while for the number to change, no?

Anyway, I don't think it matters what was drawing current and I seriously doubt we'll ever find out.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'd say that clip is backing up their point. It's a "why not?"

Saul is operating at different stakes to Jimmy and within the context of dealing with drug dealers it makes sense for him to suggest that. It's not like he's going to be the one to actually carry it out. Not that that makes it ok.

Edit: also Jessie and Walt are probably showing a confusing level of empathy towards their underlings potentially talking to the DEA to what he's used to.

It's absolutely not a "Why not?" This is a common defense of Saul's actions, but it doesn't line up with either the acting, the context, or the intent of the lines at all. He repeatedly suggests that they just kill Badger, even long after Walt and Jesse have solidly committed to the Jimmy In-'N-Out plan. Saul really doesn't want to do their plan because it's so risky and hard to pull off in comparison to a simple prison shanking.

Then later he suggests killing Jesse, who's similarly about to snitch. Saul has no problem having snitches killed. It's a tool of the criminal lawyer trade.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

What annoys me more is when people talk about Walt/Heisenberg like a Jekyll and Hyde thing. "Oh when he said this he was Walt, but later when he said this he was Heisenberg."

This is sort of true, though. There's a Walt aspect to his personality and there's a Heisenberg aspect to his personality. For example when he's doing his whole "I'm the one who knocks" speech that's him consciously putting on Heisenberg. That's not what Walt is actually like. Walt is meek and impotent and a loving coward, but Heisenberg is a cool, calculating badass who stares down homicidal drug lords and forces them to say his name. Heisenberg is a character Walt constructs in order to survive in the criminal world, but he also increasingly comes to represent the repressed aspects of Walt's personality, the person who Walt always wanted to be but never had the courage to self-actualize into becoming.

Jekyll and Hyde is about the exact same ideas and concepts, so it's weird to me that people always bring it up as some sort of a contrast to stories like Breaking Bad, as if there's some sort of fundamental difference between the two simply because Walt doesn't literally down a potion and physically transform into a different entity.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with the use of alter-egos as a storytelling device in fiction.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Same. Seems obvious to me that Walt and Heisenberg were pretty separate and that one was just what the character eventually became due to his sickness, his crimes, his fears and his sense of having nothing to lose once he becomes sick and desperate. Walt devolves over the course of 5 or 6 seasons and I wouldn't ever argue that what he became was "always who he was" at all. Similar to Jimmy really because it seems like they share the same motivations (desperation, having nothing to lose, constantly getting hosed over) and are at the core of how Jimmy eventually devolves into Saul. They also both shovel on piles of rationalization and denial for the things they do in response to the things that happen to them.

Jimmy is shown to have a heart, some empathy, a capacity for shame and guilt, measures of self reflection, remorse and all the other things that make up a normal human being. We're seeing those things gradually being eroded, sometimes outright destroyed by others and often willfully sacrificed, again, gradually.

But I think that's the point: that these characters didn't become "Who We Know Them As" overnight nor in some sort of a vacuum devoid of external influences. They adapt in their own ways and gently caress up constantly amidst their successes, often creating more problems for themselves than the ones they set out to remedy even when they "get it right" and solve something.

It's interesting in Breaking Bad how, in the beginning, Walt always puts on black clothes when he wants to become Heisenberg, in order to signify that he's no longer Walter White. But in Season 5, when Walt makes a conscious decision to stop being Heisenberg for good, he conspicuously starts wearing all white clothing. By that point, it's as if Heisenberg has become the default self, and so instead of Walter White having to put on Heisenberg, Heisenberg now has to put on Walter White.

Of course it's all just semantics. Heisenberg and Walter White are obviously really the same person, sharing in common their self-destructive pride, but it's thematically useful and compelling to conceptualize his two personas as being a Jekyll/Hyde-type split personality. And the same goes for Jimmy and Saul. All this stuff really is is a meditation on the nature of identity, and how identity is constructed. Jimmy undergoes such a drastic identity shift that, like Walt, he starts responding to a different name.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think Walt did, it's clear he was far more ambitious and prideful before his life took a detour into tedium and resentment.

Walt was always a prideful mess, but at the start of the series he was a guy who at least had something of a moral center. He fundamentally wasn't the kind of guy who would be morally capable of poisoning a child or killing eleven people without a second thought. Remember, even when it comes to Jane, his natural first instinct is to reach towards her to save her life, and he only stops himself when he realizes that letting Jane die will likely save Jesse's life, and the decision he makes is one that visibly tears him up inside. It wasn't as simple as Walt always being this inhuman monster, but simply being held back by family and societal obligations. It's something he turns into, as a result of a series of gradual and increasingly poor choices he makes. But his fundamental flaw of pride was always there, just like Jimmy's fundamental flaws were always there.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

is chuck ok

He's alive and well in Mexico.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jimmy's exaggerated thinky face is hilarious.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I actually enjoyed Seasons 1 and 2 slightly more than 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ditty bout my clitty posted:

That is the craziest thing I've read on this subforum, and there are posts from people enjoying the 100 here.

I don't get why it's such a weird opinion. Do people think the first two seasons were bad or something?

Season 3 is very good, but compared to the first two seasons it feels like they had to move things very quickly in certain directions to get characters to particular places, whereas the first two seasons seemed to just flow more naturally and let the characters go where the story took them.

I also don't think there's yet been another scene as good as the one in the first season where Chuck tells Jimmy he's not a real lawyer.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 7, 2017

• Locked thread