Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

unpleasantly turgid posted:

loving pardon?

what's happening here? what are the tongs holding on to? the gently caress did I just see?

Dilldo eggs. Why did you skip my post?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

loving pardon?

what's happening here? what are the tongs holding on to? what am I looking at?

if you look closely you can see raw egg ejaculating out of the top when he grabs it with tongs, I feel ill looking at that gif

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Listen nerd don't come in here with your science talk, some article online was talking about how much quicker iron as a surface transmits heat than Teflon and stainless steel which are the other two choices (other than copper which is not a good choice for a pan or skillet but should be considered for pots apprently).

I don't really get the science behind it all, I just know steaks in my Teflon pan struggle to get to medium rare because by the time you cook the outside enough the inside is also cooked, whereas the iron skillet I've got seared the poo poo out of those steaks and it was still basically raw on the inside demonstrating I in fact needed a lower heat than when cooking on Teflon.

Whatever the science is, cast iron > Teflon for searing meat.
or maybe your cast iron pan just has more mass

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

That looks like a home dilldo maker

Yall want some dilldo eggs?

loving pardon?

what's happening here? what are the tongs holding on to? what am I looking at?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kitchner posted:

Whatever the science is, cast iron > Teflon for searing meat.

It's because the cast iron doesn't cool down as fast. The teflon pan cools down when the meat is applied to the pan which reduces the cooking speed at the surface of the meat, so by the time the outside is seared, the inside is cooked too

jfc

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I guess this cast iron meme didn't pan out.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
He'll never be the pan of a major corporation.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I don't need to know the science guys, I just know that it cooks steaks really well and you can best a bear to death with it. I cannot think of anything else you would want with a frying pan.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

parallelodad posted:

Here is how to clean a cast iron pan. Pour in some salt. Rub with wet paper towel until you've got all the food matter out or absorbed by the salt. Rinse with hot water.

Are nylon pan scrapers not as ubiquitous as I think they are?

I've known people who just put their cast iron in the dishwasher despite the fact that doing so is supposed to be ruinous and it seems like even that is fine as long as you aren't concerned about the surface being a perfectly even level of black all the way across. It might strip off too much if you are running it through the dishwasher every single day for some reason, but so would going apeshit with steel wool or basically any other method.

Edit: I'm talking about these things. They seem to have been common promotional freebies at some point, so it's not uncommon to see a cup with a shitload of these in a kitchen. My cleaning process for any pan is to give it a few swipes with one of these to get the crusties out then wipe it clean with a paper towel.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 4, 2017

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I clean my cast iron pan with a sponge and plastic scraper and those work fine.

Why would you even use a dishwasher at all unless you're cleaning like 5 people's dishes, you need to get the gunk off first and after that it takes literally 10 seconds to finish washing it.

And cast irons are huge so you could definitely be done cleaning it by the time it would take to awkwardly jam it in there.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

that's my view about dishwashers in general but some people are paranoid about germs and want to have the dishes "sterilized"

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Cast iron pans aren't supposed to heat evenly unless you put them in the oven. You move stuff on and off the hotspot so you can add a sear without cooking the meat through.

Oh also you can put cast iron pans in the oven, making it extremely humorous to get them out when they're 500 degrees, weigh eight pounds, and are full of boiling slurry.

And when you cook tomatoes etc. instead of leaching toxic crap into your food, it leaches off tasty and beneficial iron.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hey that egg thing looks like a devil alien being born, who would make this, is this a tech industry trick where they make a food thing gross and nasty so you pipe soylent into your butt like a very efficient hero

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

signalnoise posted:

It's actually the opposite, iron has much lower thermal conductivity than aluminum and copper which is why skillets are made of iron and can maintain their heat while cooking something and heatsinks are made out of aluminum and copper, because they can absorb and release heat incredibly quickly.

Also the whole pan isn't made out of teflon you loving goober

I think you are confusing conductivity and specific heat

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

hey that egg thing looks like a devil alien being born, who would make this, is this a tech industry trick where they make a food thing gross and nasty so you pipe soylent into your butt like a very efficient hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q73WBiHXQI

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys sorry I just got here

I just wanted to say my cast iron pan really brings out the beans' flavour when I make chili

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

WHY'S IT GOTTA SOUND LIKE THAT???

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

WHY'S IT GOTTA SOUND LIKE THAT???

It is a device of exquisite torture granting the egg sentience only to know a short and brutal existence of burning pain.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't think I've ever seen eggs look so unappealing.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It looks like someone removing a bot fly larva

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

how is that a meme, op?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

unfun cast iron skillet facts:

if you cook swordfish in the skillet and then later use it to heat up pizza rolls in the oven, the pizza rolls will taste really weird

putting it in the microwave isn't as exciting as you'd think it would be

if you shoot them they don't make a cool sound, the bullet just punches a clean hole and nothing interesting happens

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I never clean out my cast iron but it only gets used for meats and a couple special dishes, maybe once a week tops. My current house I'm renting has the most effective hood vent thingy over the oven I've ever seen. So I literally just crank the oven all the way up and burn out the remains until a quick couple wipes with paper towel does the trick. I also immediately wipe it with a dry paper towel when everything is still hot and liquid greasy. I'm not afraid of death.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

A friend owns one of these. They come with a recipe book. It is a lot worse than you think.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

you keep showing it being made but I refuse to believe people actually eat it afterwards

also there's no way that "rear end" in the top left corner isn't intentional

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

a bone to pick posted:

you keep showing it being made but I refuse to believe people actually eat it afterwards

What are you talking about look how happy these people are.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

Mameluke posted:

Hey guys sorry I just got here

I just wanted to say my cast iron pan really brings out the beans' flavour when I make chili

lol

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
DID SOMEBODY SAY CAST IRON PAN MEMES GET ON BOARD SON

WOO THAT'S SPICY

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

a bone to pick posted:

if you look closely you can see raw egg ejaculating out of the top when he grabs it with tongs, I feel ill looking at that gif

if you eat fried eggs can they be a little runny or do they have to be cooked hard and sulfurous

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I just use Teflon for eggs and stainless steel for everything else.
I have a cast iron and it's okay but it's dumb to use it on my glasstop electric stove, so I just occasionally use it on the grill.
It can be a pain to clean sometimes.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shoophobo posted:

I just use Teflon for eggs and stainless steel for everything else.
I have a cast iron and it's okay but it's dumb to use it on my glasstop electric stove, so I just occasionally use it on the grill.
It can be a pain to clean sometimes.

I do my eggs on ceramic now. Turns out I make really good eggs! :discourse:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Bo-Pepper posted:

DID SOMEBODY SAY CAST IRON PAN MEMES GET ON BOARD SON

WOO THAT'S SPICY

thats the good stuff aww yeah

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I do my eggs on ceramic now. Turns out I make really good eggs! :discourse:

Yeah I use my ceramic pan almost entirely for eggs and fish. Man fuckin' bacon or breakfast sausage on cast iron though, god that's good stuff.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like to have two or three different types of things to cook food on around and then use the thing that matches the food best :miedo:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Patware posted:

i like to have two or three different types of things to cook food on around and then use the thing that matches the food best :miedo:

Bitch I ain't got time for that I buy paper plates on the reg to spend more time with family and friends

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Why do some people think cooking is such a monumental, time-consuming effort?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i have so many family and friends over all the time that in between posts on forums dot something awful i just have a big big basket of baby spinach and bacon bits so i can feed everyone on the go

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Some pots and pans I have:

Le Creuset enameled dutch oven (8qt)
Le Creuset enameled skillet (6 1/3")
Lodge cast iron (12")
Lodge carbon steel pan (12")
T-Fal teflon pan (12")
All-Clad sauce pan (3qt)

It's nice :smug:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bo-Pepper posted:

Some pots and pans I have:

Le Creuset enameled dutch oven (8qt)
Le Creuset enameled skillet (6 1/3")
Lodge cast iron (12")
Lodge carbon steel pan (12")
T-Fal teflon pan (12")
All-Clad sauce pan (3qt)

It's nice :smug:

You should put the year of purchase in parentheses too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
The dutch oven was a wedding present and the skillet I bought at an estate sale because I'm an old man.

• Locked thread