Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WHOOPS posted:

I don't think it changes he cap hit at all - either way, any cash paid to Romo that hasn't yet been accounted for in the salary cap (e.g., prorated signing bonus) accelerates to this year.

The bigger difference would be for Romo himself, who could sign with any team should he unretire. If not released, Dallas would still own his rights.

It changes the cap hit in that they'll designate him a June 1 cut, spreading his hit over this year and next. This will then lead to idiots saying that they 'should have taken the hit all at once and gotten it over with,' because they don't know/remember that unused cap carries over.

e: Also, Romo was a great guy and part of it was that he was more than willing to say things like this, that drive idiot fans into a frothing rage:

quote:

Back in 2008, Romo lost a Week 17 game to Eagles that knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs. Afterward, he told the press, “If this is the worst thing that will ever happen to me, then I’ve lived a pretty good life.”

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sataere posted:

I have always found that logic inherently flawed. The value of the future pick should be based on the strength of the draft class. If I trade for a future second round pick and that class has 60 players projected to have a first round grade, is that pick really only worth a third?

Enh; it's partly flawed. Yes, theoretically a 1st-round pick should have the same value any year, but the uncertainty tied to next year's pick--both in terms of placement in the draft and the quality of players available--does make it *slightly* less desirable. Though if I were making those decisions, I'd probably dock it something like a third of a round in value rather than a full round.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

The top 60 a year before the draft looks completely different than it does on draft day. It's a crapshoot to be like oh yeah the draft two years from now looks really deep.

Plus, you also know way more about your team now than you do about your team next year, which further complicates things. Even if next year's draft is super-deep on Defensive Ends, you may not need one then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That Ringer drafting a QB article is amazingly bad.

Haha it's by Michael Lombardi

Jesus, you weren't kidding. I believe the dude actually included "body language" just to poo poo on Cutler.

As always, it's worth reposting Parcells' rules for drafting a QB, which actually still hold up very well:

quote:

1. He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.
2. He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.
3. He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as "the guy" for some period of time.
4. He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Diva Cupcake posted:

Let's look at this draft class to see who fits the rules. QBs with at least 23 wins as well as being a senior.

Joshua Dobbs
C.J. Beathard
Seth Russell
Cooper Rush
Zach Terrell
Mitch Leidner

So basically a whole host of 7th rounders or UFA guys.

Hey, Dak Prescott fits all 4 criteria :colbert:

So did Wentz, I believe

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Iodised QQ posted:

This played a bit more of a factor than I think some people realize. Those 2011 or 2012 Eagles that had nnamdi and drc yet still could not defend the pass were one of the biggest failures I've ever seen.

Nnamdi fell off hard at some point but drc is still a very good corner 5 years later yet he was awful in philly. poo poo coordinators can really kill a team.

Nnamdi had some bigger issues, but I'll agree on DCs. I'm coming around to the notion that "Defensive Coordinator" is the second-most important position on a team behind QB.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

hifi posted:

And he hit a home run when it counts. Whats your point

do they not count home runs in spring training now

seems like hitting those helps you make the team

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jerome Bettis

are we thinking of the same dude

cause I seem to recall Jerome Bettis being one Mike Vanderjagt field goal away from being a subject of ongoing ridicule

e: And a Roethlisberger tackle

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Volkerball posted:

100% dependent on what offense you'd want to run.

You'd build the offense around the player you pick

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

To contribute something other than a smartass remark, let's see what FO says about how injured teams were last year:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost

Interesting to see that despite Kelly leaving, the Eagles continued to be among the top teams in terms of games lost, whereas SF saw no benefit from Kelly joining. Bad outcome for sports science, unfortunately.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

Wasn't DVOA like hilariously overrating the Eagles for most of the season, before gradually "correcting" to have the Patriots at #1?

It's not some mystery--the Eagles had a hot start that included a blowout win over PIttsburgh, while the Patriots were missing Tom Brady for 4 games. Once the season got to the point that those games were weighted less and the Eagles had started dropping games, things shook out more like you'd expect. DVOA weighs later games more heavily, it's not a manual correction that happens.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Because they haven't drafted a quarterback in the first round since the Kennedy administration.

lol if your team has to draft a QB in the first round to find a franchise player

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Mike Glennon getting signed before Kaep sure is interesting

Interesting or totally predictable in a way that reminds us that the world is a terrible, lovely place

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah right

cokewives jumped on balls.

ahahahaha

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Thomas is a legit hall of famer but who knows if he'll get the consideration.

rings don't really matter as much for linemen. The fact that he's made the Pro Bowl every year of his career and a 7-time first-team all-pro is a big push in his favor, though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Flikken posted:

Don't forget his durability is 2nd to none.

Look at the text in my AV. I've never been able to find what the actual record for consecutive snaps is, but he has to be close if he doesn't have it.

Consecutive snaps isn't really that great a record to have, though

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is it? It's a more accurate signal of longevity and consistency than games started, though, since he's playing on every single offensive play in every single game across that span. He's not taking plays off to rest or whatever.

It may be a signifier of longevity, but it signals poor backups/depth as much as consistency, and it also signals never being on a team that could rest its starters for the playoffs. It's neat, but I think it's in the same area of accomplishments as carries for a running back.

games started is also not great, for similar reasons.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Consecutive snaps is really impressive, because injuries in the NFL are very common and players of all positions frequently miss games.

Volkerball posted:

O lineman are the last to get rested, and great ones are expected to play every snap, regardless of depth. It's really impressive. Thomas will probably be first ballot.

I agree he's a first-ballot HOFer but that's because he's been a first-team all pro 6 times and has nothing to do with snaps. Consecutive snaps tells me that he was just as lucky as he was good. The number of pro bowls is also a huge factor, but once a player has made a few pro bowls, it probably gets easier to make them, especially for positions like OL where it's harder to judge performance.

Plus I mean come on, it's neat but it's not like you'd give a poo poo if Joe Thomas missed a snap or two in there because he lost a shoe or had to get looked at on the sidelines. He'd still be one of the best offensive linemen of all time.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What does a team's backups/depth have to do with an individual player's consecutive snaps and consistency being a merit when considering that player for the HoF?!?

I present to you: HoF candidate D'Brickashaw Ferguson

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-jets-nfl-ironman-dbrickashaw-ferguson-snaps-080515

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Grittybeard posted:

I already set you up with Casey Wiegmann for this and you go and pick a better player?

poo poo, I missed that post. Great point, though

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

All sports fans are assholes.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's been wildly efficient for the last 2 years and you're paying him dirt money. No breathe-holding necessary.

If fact, thinking literally any move the Pats make might not work out incredibly biased in your favor at this point is insulting to the rest of the fanbases.

Seriously. "What the gently caress are they doing," says idiot fan who somehow thinks they're smarter than Bill Belichick

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

lol my fb feed loved it

same

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Shocked that the list isn't: Literally all except Mark Davis

It's just donation for the Inaguration, not the election More "buttering up to the current president." The big campaign donors for Trump were McNair, Johnson, Glazer, and McCombs. Jerry Jones donated to Chris Christie during the election, hilariously enough. Dan Snyder donated to Jeb.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

McNair is also Mitch McConnell's largest donor

McNair was by far the most active NFL owner this past election cycle. He donated to almost every conservative PAC and helped raise funds for several of them

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

spanky69 posted:

Browns will play all games at 3:30 on Tuesday afternoon so no one has to watch

lol if you don't want to see your team curbstomp the browns

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Codependent Poster posted:

Pats fans are the loving worst.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Bigass Moth posted:

It's really not important I just can't believe there was an argument about what fake news is in a loving football thread.

lol "I can't believe there was an argument about this"

*is literally the guy arguing*

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am REALLY close to locking the thread.

Do it, you pussy

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Get ready for not one but 3 bullshit finishes this season:

IND @ SEA on SNF 10/1
PHI @ SEA on SNF 12/3
ATL @ SEA on MNF 11/20

Seattle also has a TNF game but that one's in Arizona so it'll probably just be another 5-3 slog

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

EmbryoSteve posted:

I of course will be righteously indignant if the hawks lose on a similar type call. But such is the fickle nature of sports.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about that, given recent history

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

wandler20 posted:

You guys think Ronde Barber makes the HoF?

Eventually, yeah. He's got pretty much everything you'd want to have on your resume as a defender

VVV yeah, but don't underestimate first team all-pro nods. Those are pretty accurate predictors of HOF inclusion

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 21, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My dad just told me on a conference call that the Cowboys invented the shotgun, and that in the 70s, Roger Staubach was seen as soft for using it.

I think it was invented in the 30s or 40s. Landry just popularized it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look at the rest of the players the Packers signed. They play Settlers of Catan, they buy comic book shops, they get Batman tattoos.

What I'm saying is:

Yes

pffft yeah, right

Did you read the story about Aaron Rodgers' first camp? Favre would have been too busy dunking on NERDS to be on some weeaboo internet forums, no matter how revolutionary early 1990s DPPH would have been

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Shangri-Law School posted:

This Tweet tells me that the Rams, Bears, Lions and Browns are very old.

https://twitter.com/nflnetwork/status/857232917344473088

Suck it, Packers. :smuggo:

It's hilarious that Eli won't count toward that total for the Giants

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

He won't count towards anyone's. :argh:

look I hate Eli more than most people but lol if you think he won't make the HoF

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

Well, Romo retired so might as well retire QBR, too.

I love that part of the original intent of that metric was to show that Romo was a shittier QB than his traditional stats made it seem

And also to boost Vick, I guess

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Abugadu posted:

Maybe someone will create a bunch of Cleveland Browns 5x Super Bowl Champions posters and pennants to put in his assisted care room for him, that'd be sweet.

I want you to know that I appreciate this post a great deal

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Pat McQuistan

It's not a handsome family.

Here's his brother Paul

From the looks of things, the family suffers from an unfortunate skin condition that causes jpg artifacts to cluster on their faces

• Locked thread