Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Mine was some kid who blew his year's budget in freshers week then decided the most cost effective way to live was on porridge. Idiot should have chosen dog food instead.

The dude in our dorm, Wolffucker Wyatt, got scurvy because he only ate plain white rice with those little ramen packets.

Also be wanted to gently caress wolves and never bathed. Dude was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

People who call jokes made with people they post with who wouldn't give a poo poo if you died inside jokes

Chill.

Mine is people who stand way too close to you in line at the store. Standing close enough that I can feel your breath isn't gonna make the line faster, rear end in a top hat

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

ArtIsResistance posted:

C hi ll now would you like to smoke blunts though you don't seem chill!!!!

Chill.

Also people who don't read the instructions/tutorials for a game and then get frustrated that they don't know how to play. Like, dude, if you'd just take the minute to read the instructions you'd be having a lot more fun right now.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Slime posted:

People who complain the game isn't telling them where they need to go or what they need to do when the game is literally telling them right then.

"Where am I meant to go this is loving stupid!"
*completely ignores the big arrow or waypoint or whatever that's leading them right to where they need to go*

This or like, boss fights where they're complaining that "IT'S SO HARD THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE" and completely ignore the huge, glowing, obnoxious weak spot.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

White men.

Other thing: people who can't take a loving hint that you're not interested in what they're talking about. Went with my boyfriend to a silly card game thing at the local gaming shop, but the people we ended up playing against would not stop loving talking about the really dull nuances of magic the gathering. Bruh, I am here to play this stupid gnome game. I don't wanna hear about card triggers or whatever. And no amount of changing the subject would deter them. Awful.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Naw, it was a dumb game called "gnome's on you!" that wasn't super good but was fun enough.

It was casual night but there were kids so Cards Against Humanity was out.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I don't know relatable this is.
I've run a lot of RPGs in my day with loads of different people.

There is always one person in the group who MUST inject themselves into every scene. Sometimes they are just excited and can't contain it or they are an rear end in a top hat that must be heard.

If I'm setting the scene or giving some dramatic exposition, don't chime in with your moronic quips.
Don't yell over the table and undercut someone.

gently caress you.

On this note, that one guy in the group that has to be the best at everything- and I do mean everything- and he gets mad because his class can't do the job other classes can. You're not gonna be able to magic us out of this loving magic puzzle, Jimmy, you're a loving fighter. Quit trying to out-rogue the rogue, Jimmy, you wear full plate and can't pick locks.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Whatup, ADD buddy

Listen, friend, guy, buddy, pal- I cannot focus on you this long. Please get to the point of your story before my poo poo brain goes on an adventure.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

:D

Other peeves: it is okay to just say you don't like a thing and leave it at that. You don't gotta poo poo on someone for liking a movie or whatever that you don't like.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who have no idea how to do something but insist on trying to tell you (after asking you for help) how to do it. If you already know, why don't you need me to come do it?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who feel the need to go out of their way to comment on people's appearance- and it's never a compliment. It's always just some rear end in a top hat who's like I DON'T LIKE YOUR FASHION SENSE IT OFFENDS ME AND I CAN'T GET A BONER TO IT

like dude, maybe gently caress off a whole bunch

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I've got dairy intolerance but I still eat it because I hate myself and love cheese. Farts for the fart throne.

That said, I also hate people who claim to have allergies for things they just don't like. Had a minor panic attack the other day because an aquaintance said they were allergic to shellfish as they were eating my fried rice, which I make with shrimp. Turns out, no, not an actual allergy, they're just not super fond of shrimp. And that's why they're not invited to hang out anymore.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Do all cheese affect you the same way? Can you drink milk? I heard that the hard/dry cheeses like parmesan don't have as much lactose so most people can handle them better.

All cheese, I can't drink milk. Lactase (sp?) does nothing. Of I eat or drink anything with dairy in it, it's cramp time. And horrible farts time.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Personal little thing:

people who make a HUGE loving PRODUCTION over small problems easily solved. I just had to break up a fight between two grown-rear end women because the tv remote's batteries died, and instead of just going and getting new batteries, they decided that screaming at each other for the better part of an hour was a better solution.

S'not that hard to do problem solving. The TV isn't responding to remote! Change batteries! Is problem solved? GOOD.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

that too but I'm not paid enough to fix that particular problem.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's particularly annoying when you visit a site and they're filled with banners (or even overlays) along the lines of "please disable your adblocker, we need the income to keep the site running!". Then you actually do that and are immediately bombarded by half a dozen popups and random bullshit that's at best aggressively annoying (like those that load a full-page ad into your current tab and displace the original page into a secondary tab) and at worst straight-up dangerous (crashing your browser, being a potential risk of virus infection) and you quickly remember why having an ad-blocker is pretty much mandatory these days.

yeah I don't mind unobtrusive ads like the ones on the LP archive, but very few places use nice, unobtrusive ads.

I also hate the stupid sites where it's like "SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER/MAKE AN ACCOUNT TO READ THE REST OF THIS ARTICLE" well, I'm not going to do that, and now I'm also never going to come back to this site.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

what shows are you trying to watch? if you have PMs, I can shoot you some links for other sites.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Y'all are arguing with tiggum, that's your first mistake. Dude's more dense than a neutron star.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Can vouch for white noise machines. They work like a charm and also help stop my problem with nightmares.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Your boyfriend needs new friends like, yesterday.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

If you feel stressed out and uncomfortable around them

perhaps stop hanging with them

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

timefly posted:

Nah, I can deal with them sometimes for my boyfriend's sake.

a thing, a thought- if you feel uncomfortable or creeped out by someone, you do not have to deal with them or put up with them. You can just tell your bf that you do not want them around you and he can hang out with them on his own own time.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Nnnno, dude. My response would have been to call the loving police. The actual gently caress, my guy.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Pretty much. Also, from life experience- hanging around creepy people who make you uncomfortable in an effort not to rock the boat isn't worth it. Life's too short to spend time around people like that.

Currently, I do not spend time or allow my own BF's bestie in my house, because he sends me into a seething rage within five minutes of being around me. My BF is free to spend time with him whenever he pleases, just not in my home. It works out pretty good.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Slime posted:

Some people just don't want to learn. Or have respect for people.

pretty much this.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I don't use my given name so when I tell people (who don't need to know my birthname/deadname for filing purposes) what it is, they always insist "No, what's your name". I just told you it. That's the name I use. I don't wanna use my deadname. Quit making this awkward and annoying.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

It's the name that was given at birth, but doesn't match with the gender of a trans person.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it's for emphasis - don't call me x, x no longer exists. It's not a matter of preference, x is dead. There is no x anymore. Going with "preferred" name or something less drastic may result in people not quite 'getting' it.

Pretty much this. People view it more like a "oh they won't mind if I use this name, they just like the other name better" instead of "if I use this name I'm being a giant shithead and misgendering them".

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I don't speak for all trans people, obv, just my experience.

It's mostly about gently convincing cis-people to take you more seriously. That sounds harsh, but that's the long and short of it. A lot of cis people, even if they're not transphobic assholes, don't get a lot of what trans people do to feel more comfortable in a world where most people want us dead or to "suck it up". So in order to get across the seriousness of the transition and the need to be recognized as the person you are, you use terms like "deadname" and the like. Yes, there's always going to be some dick who will misgender you/misname you, but for those that are more understanding and supportive but maybe "don't get it", it takes a little impressing about the seriousness of the situation. It's not that these are my preferred pronouns or my preferred name, These *are* my pronouns, this *is* my name. And to some trans people, that person they were is "dead". Personally, I'm working through how I relate to myself both through the lens of trauma that's happened to me and through the lens of transition and coming to terms with my gender and presentation. I wouldn't say that the old me is "dead", but she's not here and is gone at this point. On top of that I identify as nonbinary which has its own can of worms, so there's that, too.

As for legally changing names, in a lot of places it's very difficult for trans people to get their documentation to be changed. There's a lot of lovely gatekeeping and practices. Some people can't get there, or it's taking a while. Some people just don't feel the need to get their documents changed/name changed. It depends on the person. Personally, I haven't settled completely on a new name yet, so changing my name at this point would be iffy on if I'd keep it. Better to wait until I'm sure.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Unrelated, but I thought your avatar was a happy robo chef for a second instead of a ghost chef.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Every craig I've known has been a terrible super white dude-bro

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who won't loving listen when you're trying to tell them how to do something. I don't mind showing someone less computer savvy how to fix a problem on their computer, unless they're an rear end in a top hat who will not listen. "Okay, you click here, then click this. There you go, that's how you get to your email."

"It wasn't there before!"

"yes, but now it is. so from now on-"

"BUT IT WASN'T THERE BEFORE"

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I've never gotten that, either. I'm not good at math and it haunts me every day. I don't like feeling like an idiot because it takes me twice as long to do simple problems. :smith: The numbers always jump around on me, so 32 is 23 or whatever. Takes me ages to do simple maths because of it. I always feel like the biggest idiot and get all flushed and flustered and it takes even longer and

it's just miserable.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maths dyslexia is an actual thing called dyscalculia. It's a total pain in the rear end if you consider how amazingly frequently people use maths in everyday life: keeping to schedules, estimating distance or volume, etc etc..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

Suddenly a lot of my life makes sense.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

spog posted:

Jeez, you really shouldn't be feeling bad about a legit (as in not 'I need a Support Walrus!!') medical condition.

You shouldn't be feeling any worse about yourself than someone who can't read the menu because they forgot their glasses - especially as in your case, there are no glasses available - or being too short to reach the top shelf of the stationery cupboard.

'Tee-hee, I am bad with computers' is just wilful stupidity. In fact, I would say that if you are under 35, you must have spent your entire life actively trying to avoid learning a simple life skill.

See, I never even knew that was a thing. I just thought I was stupid because that's how my teachers acted, as I was growing up. "You read so high above your grade, you're so smart, why are you bad at math, you're just not trying hard enough"

American education~

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

cinni posted:

When someone is trying to describe some inane thing or concept you already know during the midst of a conversation and you have to either sit through the unneeded explanation or try to increasingly nod your head to try to quietly hurry them along. I don't want to have to verbally push them with "yeah yeah I know" or else it might derail the story further, but sometimes the head nodding can get to violent levels while trying to get across that yes those peppermint candies that had the red and blue and green and they were around christmas time and people put them in candy dishes and they were sticky and yes I know perfectly what you are talking about and don't need further description. Sorry ma, love ya.

My mom and bf both do this and it's very frustrating. Just get to the point of the story, ffs!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I love video essays

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I usually get my revenge by hunting down that player over and over and over again. See how much you teabag me when you're DEAD. :argh:

Also people who poo poo talk when they win, even if it's someone on my team. It's just a jerk-rear end thing to do.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

kreyla posted:

People who complain about the responsibility and burden and expense of having kids, and then say poo poo like "must be NICE, getting to only think of yourSELF all the time"

I hate this poo poo so much. I'm sorry you chose to have a baby? like, you could have just like

not had a baby

these are the same people who get up in arms when I mention I don't want kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

SilentChaz posted:

Parents who are smokers who insist on lighting up when they're around their kids. Do whatever the gently caress you want to yourself, but don't loving smoke around your kids.

This is one of the things I still foster resentment towards my mom for. My mom's a fairly awesome lady, but she smoked both while pregnant with me and as I was growing up. As a result, my lungs are absolute trash, even after a surgery that was supposed to fix it. I get sick constantly with bronchitus, pneumonia, general chest colds... Also I got bullied constantly as a kid for smelling like cigarettes because she did (and still does) smoke like a chimney.

• Locked thread