Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

cargohills posted:

How strongly would people recommend The Last Adventure and UNIT: Dominion? They're both on sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should get them. I've not heard any of the Klein audios aside from Colditz, and I'm not at all familiar with any of the 6th Doctor companions in his box aside from Charley (with 8) and Mel.

I really enjoyed Dominion. It's best if you've not had any part of it spoiled, but if you HAVE had it spoiled it's good anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

cargohills posted:

How strongly would people recommend The Last Adventure and UNIT: Dominion? They're both on sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should get them. I've not heard any of the Klein audios aside from Colditz, and I'm not at all familiar with any of the 6th Doctor companions in his box aside from Charley (with 8) and Mel.

UNIT: Dominion is really great, that one's definitely a recommend. The preceding Klein trilogy isn't required listening for any specific plot reasons, but she is in a very different place in UNIT: Dominion than she was in Colditz, so its premise alone does kind of spoil the ultimate resolution of the previous trilogy if you care about that sort of thing. (That Klein trilogy, especially The Architects of History, is some of my favourite BF ever, so definitely check those out too if you have the chance - and I should stress that I don't think knowing about where she ends up in UNIT: Dominion really makes the previous stories any less great.)

The Last Adventure is more of a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it well enough on the whole. Knowing the companions isn't necessary, but The Trial of a Time Lord and Time and the Rani are obviously referenced pretty often. Having some level of tolerance for wishy-washy Nick Briggs scripts helps appreciate it better, but there's a lot to like even besides that, as the crew of returning characters alone pretty much makes the whole thing worth it. The Charley story is total crap, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This episode in particular has the potential to have one hell of a sequel down the line.

Imagine some space travelers coming across a derelict ship, 400 miles long. All of its power is just about gone and it looks like it was nearly torn in half escaping a black hole. So they pump some power into it to get the systems up and going and poke their heads in to see what's what.

Inside, they awaken a new Tomb of Cybermen, who've had comparatively millions of years to advance and grow.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I rewatched Blink last night, and all the little things that haven't aged well or don't quite work just make it more lovable.
Doctor and Martha running down the street with bows and arrows is adorable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if Peter will get the Proclaimers into the studio for a big singalong finale again...? :shobon:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Last Adventure is total loving garbage, don't bother.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New crack Master idea: Missy successfully regenerates and due to the influence the Doctor had on her, she takes on the appearance of said Doctor. Ergo: The Master played by Peter Capaldi

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

The Last Adventure is total loving garbage, don't bother.

This almost makes me want to listen to it more, but I think I'll keep my £17.50. UNIT: Dominion it is! I'll also be grabbing Auld Mortality, Full Fathom Five and A Storm of Angels, from the Unbound range, as I've already got Sympathy for the Devil, Deadline and Masters of War.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it!

Cyber-Xeno's Relativity Ship is right now striking me as the best sf maguffin trap in the show's history (meaning I can't think of one that I like better) - the faster you run the faster they come, and the stronger they'll be. The story didn't require any god-like beings to challenge The Doctor - just a bunch of existing plot pieces and a sf premise. I like that they didn't do something like let them whistle for the TARDIS. Leaving the characters in there produced a scenario where the doctor could do nothing but be a crusty old man waiting on the porch with a shotgun.

And at this moment I feel as if 1 and 12 are my favourites, so right now I'm pretty stoked for the Christmas special, even if David Bradley's verbal cadences are a bit different from Hartnell's.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Burkion posted:

This episode in particular has the potential to have one hell of a sequel down the line.

Imagine some space travelers coming across a derelict ship, 400 miles long. All of its power is just about gone and it looks like it was nearly torn in half escaping a black hole. So they pump some power into it to get the systems up and going and poke their heads in to see what's what.

Inside, they awaken a new Tomb of Cybermen, who've had comparatively millions of years to advance and grow.

Eh, not really. Time doesn't ever go faster, it only slows down. Any cybermen who are still on Mondas would have a lot more time to advance themselves than the cybermen on this ship. Time at the bottom of the ship wasn't moving fast, it was just closer to normal than the very slow time at the front of the ship. It was most likely still slowed down compared to the rest of the universe. So if someone were to visit this ship after it had lost all power, they would be so far in the future compared to the ship that they'd be more likely to say "What's with these old timey cybermen?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cargohills posted:

This almost makes me want to listen to it more, but I think I'll keep my £17.50. UNIT: Dominion it is! I'll also be grabbing Auld Mortality, Full Fathom Five and A Storm of Angels, from the Unbound range, as I've already got Sympathy for the Devil, Deadline and Masters of War.

That is a darn good set of Big Finish stories, and, thankfully, you're skipping the one Very Bad story from the Unbound line.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

New crack Master idea: Missy successfully regenerates and due to the influence the Doctor had on her, she takes on the appearance of said Doctor. Ergo: The Master played by Peter Capaldi

I'm reasonably sure they get around this one by just saying Missy isn't who he regenerates into right away, it's just his/her final regeneration. On the other hand, there has literally been no scenarios where the Master was really actually dead this time no we mean it really. :allears:

That being said oh my God can you imagine if they asked Capaldi to do that. Like they'd go on set to spitball it and he'd already be wearing a suit and a goatee.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

That is a darn good set of Big Finish stories, and, thankfully, you're skipping the one Very Bad story from the Unbound line.

The fun thing about this is from what I know of them I'm not 100% sure if you mean Exile or He Jests at Scars. I'm leaning towards the former...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So this is the first time when a regeneration feels like it's a solid loss.
The spaceship is properly hosed (Though how DO the cybermen keep multiplying if they've already gotten everyone on their floors), and they left two characters there.

E: and a third party rescued his companion and gave her her ending.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm reasonably sure they get around this one by just saying Missy isn't who he regenerates into right away, it's just his/her final regeneration. On the other hand, there has literally been no scenarios where the Master was really actually dead this time no we mean it really. :allears:

That being said oh my God can you imagine if they asked Capaldi to do that. Like they'd go on set to spitball it and he'd already be wearing a suit and a goatee.

The main difference between this one and the other Master deaths is that it's self-inflicted, so s/he presumably knows all of the tricks and exits. Even if we do get a new Master, it probably won't be for a few years now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The main difference between this one and the other Master deaths is that it's self-inflicted, so s/he presumably knows all of the tricks and exits. Even if we do get a new Master, it probably won't be for a few years now.

Wilderness Years aside, what's the longest they've gone without having The Master show up?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

everyone shut the gently caress up and watch this immediately

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/881543002014982144

okay, carry on

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

thexerox123 posted:

Wilderness Years aside, what's the longest they've gone without having The Master show up?

I'm guessing between The Deadly Assassin and The Keeper of Traken, which is about five years.

EDIT: The gap between Simm and Gomez is almost four years, too, which is probably the second longest.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 3, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CommonShore posted:

I mean, its not like this was a preplanned ambush, he shot her in the back with the weapon he had to hand while he was bleeding to death from a gut wound. If they wanted they could have missy turn up in the Xmas special, unregenerated with an offhand "lI never was the most precise shot" or something. I mean, they wont, but they absolutely could. Has anyone counted up how many times the master has definately died, for realsies, honestly, no coming back from this one no siree bob? Personally I hope when the master comes back they give precisely zero explaination as to how they survived. In fact, it wouldnt make sense for us to get an explaination as The Doctor doesnt know Missy died, so he wouldnt know to ask the Master why he isnt dead. I doubt we'll get any Master appearences in the next year, but purely so that when they do cast/feature a new master its a bigger deal. After that I'd say its fair game for a return.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cargohills posted:

The fun thing about this is from what I know of them I'm not 100% sure if you mean Exile or He Jests at Scars. I'm leaning towards the former...

It's definitely Exile. Exile is the second worst Big Finish story, behind only Creed of the Kromon; He Jests at Scars doesn't come anywhere close to being that bad. Like, most of the Irish Wildthyme stories are probably worse than Jests.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thexerox123 posted:

I'm not sure, but I'm confident that Eleven is the only doctor not to meet The Master. Nine. poo poo.

e. I bet that Matt Smith - Michelle Gomez would have some great on-screen chemistry.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'm not sure, but I'm confident that Eleven is the only doctor not to meet The Master. Nine. poo poo.

e. I bet that Matt Smith - Michelle Gomez would have some great on-screen chemistry.

One and Two, if we're only counting televised stories.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

One and Two, if we're only counting televised stories.

Are we not counting The Five Doctors?

e. I'm only going from memory, and I've only watched it once so I could be wrong - don't 1 and 2 face off with the Master toward the end?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 3, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

McDragon posted:

everyone shut the gently caress up and watch this immediately

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/881543002014982144

okay, carry on

Bouncy cybermen. :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Now fully caught up.

After watching World Enough and Time I didn't know quite what to make of it - after watching it again with the other half (who's doing a phd in cinema, particularly in the representation of non-human intelligences and how we empathise with them so pretty much bang on the field*) I have come to the conclusion that I only thought the first half was good because I was filling in the gaps with Spare Parts.

There's a lot of good sci fi ideas in this two parter. There's not really much of a story around them. The meat of the first episode is making us Have Fun With Fake Zathras in order to set up the betrayal.

*She loving hated it, for reference. Full on "that's the worst thing I've ever seen in my life" level. Largely, it must be said, for the politics - the Missy stuff at the start, and the way that the only thing that happened in the entire episode was that a gay poc was experimented on (which is a real life thing that happened, a lot), which hits quite close to home as she's mixed race.

2house2fly posted:

I'm dreading it because then it'll be over. The era of the finest actor to play the Doctor working with the show's finest writer. Maybe when the time comes I'll just pop on Last Christmas again.

The Krotons and The Space Pirates were both pretty mediocre though :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Are we not counting The Five Doctors?

e. I'm only going from memory, and I've only watched it once so I could be wrong - don't 1 and 2 face off with the Master toward the end?

Ah, I'd forgotten the Five Doctors, good point (although I still refuse to count Hurndall as One :v: ).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The meat of the first episode is making us Have Fun With Fake Zathras in order to set up the betrayal.

Hehe.

Weirdly, the whole time I was thinking that he sounded kind of like Londo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's wrong with Hurndall?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Hehe.

Weirdly, the whole time I was thinking that he sounded kind of like Londo.

The stuff about the good and the bad tea was pure "So Zathras talks to dirt. Or to walls, or talks to ceilings. But dirt is closer. Dirt is used to everyone walking on it. Just like Zathras. But we have come to like it. It is our role. It is our destiny in the universe. And sometimes dirt has insects in it. And Zathras likes insects. Not so good for conversation, but much protein for diet. " kind of stuff imo

Plus the being unnecessarily hairy in odd places

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dabir posted:

What's wrong with Hurndall?

I don't like re-casting "the First Doctor," as a thing. Plus, as far as impressionists go (because when you recast specific incarnations of the Doctor, you are hiring an impressionist to "do" an actor), Hurndall kind of sucks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I don't like re-casting "the First Doctor," as a thing. Plus, as far as impressionists go (because when you recast specific incarnations of the Doctor, you are hiring an impressionist to "do" an actor), Hurndall kind of sucks.

So no one should ever be permitted to portray the First Doctor ever again?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

The trouble is that it's always an impression of Hartnell, and it feels ghoulish to me. Same as the CGI Peter Cushing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The trouble is that it's always an impression of Hartnell, and it feels ghoulish to me. Same as the CGI Peter Cushing.

So do you find every historical episode ever ghoulish as well?

Do you also hate biopics?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 3, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yes. Recasting the Doctor is what the Second Doctor was. Recasting "the First Doctor" is recasting William Hartnell, which doesn't make any loving sense. (I don't have an issue with imitations in the Big Finish lines which are essentially single actor narrated e-books of stories.)

thexerox123 posted:

So do you find every historical episode ever ghoulish as well?

That's different; I don't have any issue with biopics, for example, which is an actor portraying a historical figure. An actor doing an imitation of another actor's performance of a specific character is weird, though. It limits the potential of the new actor to give their interpretation of the role (they are specifically imitating another actor's imitation rather than giving their own) and also feels disrespectful to to the original actor they're imitating.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

That's different; I don't have any issue with biopics, for example, which is an actor portraying a historical figure. An actor doing an imitation of another actor's performance of a specific character is weird, though. It limits the potential of the new actor to give their interpretation of the role (they are specifically imitating another actor's imitation rather than giving their own) and also feels disrespectful to to the original actor they're imitating.

Is an actor who is portraying a historical figure that has been on camera (say, Churchill or Nixon) not limited in exactly the same way, though? Meta-context aside, they're still trying their best to recreate a persona that has been on-screen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Is an actor who is portraying a historical figure that has been on camera (say, Churchill or Nixon) not limited in exactly the same way, though? Meta-context aside, they're still trying their best to recreate a persona that has been on-screen.

The only other example I can think of, weirdly, is MST3K. If tomorrow, Joel Hodgdson died, but the show had an episode where some impressionist was hired to play "Joel Robinson" for a cameo, it would understandably be off-putting and disrespectful. If someone was making a film specifically about the making of MST3K, casting an actor to portray Joel Hodgson would only make sense. Jim Carrey is not portraying Latke in "Man on the Moon," he's portraying Andy Kauffman. There's a difference.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The only other example I can think of, weirdly, is MST3K. If tomorrow, Joel Hodgdson died, but the show had an episode where some impressionist was hired to play "Joel Robinson" for a cameo, it would understandably be off-putting and disrespectful.

If Joel were dead, and they were doing a multi-host special... ehh, I wouldn't find it disrespectful. Joel Robinson is a character just as much as Crow T Robot is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

If Joel were dead, and they were doing a multi-host special... ehh, I wouldn't find it disrespectful.

Yikes. We're just going to differ on this, then.

Either way, it's not like re-casting Bat Man or Willy Wonka, or any of a million other iconic characters. Recasting "the First Doctor" is called "the Second Doctor." What people really mean when they say they're "recasting the First Doctor" is "they're hiring somebody to do an impression of William Hartnell."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Phil Sandifer, of overlong Doctor Who blog fame, made a good point that the character played by Richard Hurndall and David Bradley - "the First Doctor" - was never really played by William Hartnell, except for in The Three Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't see how it's any different from replacing Becky on Roseanne. The show wants to use the character, the person who played the character doesn't want to play it anymore/is dead. They find someone who looks similar and move on.

• Locked thread