Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Round things. Wonderful threads, all of them. Redecorated. New teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Just picked the John Hurt tribute issue of DWM, and in it, Big Finish revealed that John had agreed to do 4 more boxsets before he passed.

Oh, what could have been!

Man...that's something I think I would have been happier not knowing

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Okay, how about learning that when Tom, Lalla, and Graham Crowden went and saw "Alien" in theaters, halfway during the film, Tom shouted "Why don't they just go down into the cargo hold and bore the alien to death!"

That's our Tom :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

Doesn't that kind of spoil the reveal, though?

Spare Parts is almost 15 years old. At some point the statute of limitations of spoilers kinda goes away (Snape kills Dumbledore, page 596)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Mmm, time to sit down with my favorite book in the whole world, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and finally finish it. First, though, let's just take a BIG sip of coffee and check my favorite bad tv show thread in TVI-

Now I'll receive another year of life from the evil genie that cursed me to spoil things

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just wish that they sold the new documentary thing separately. I have no need for vinyl, but I do love me some behind the scenes stuff

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

In other news, this morning my dad dismissed Pearl Mackie's casting as 'political correctness' :cripes:

Just because I can't resist touching the poop....is it because she's black? Female? Or the fact that her character is gay?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Black, yeah. He wouldn't know about that she's gay.

How dare those uppity blacks get a lead role in a wholesome family television programme, amirite?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

One day soonish he'll get to meet my black boyfriend, and won't that be fun?

Requesting a mod to change your username to Canton_Everett_Delaware_III

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Big Finish finally posted the trailer for "The Ninth Doctor Chronicles". It's... something.

Briggs' 9 has improved since the Destiny of the Doctor release he did...but his Rose is rather terrible.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

It's so bad I didn't even think I heard Rose in the clip. Am I missing something that obvious?

I'm pretty sure I heard a "Doctor! Help me!" in there

Edit: right around the 50 second mark

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 12, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was about to say I was hoping for a 5th Doctor Big Finish sale...but after the J&L and Lost Stories sales, I'm tapped out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Oh goddammit. Hahahahaha

Edit: and with that purchase, my BF library crosses 500 titles.

I've never purchased a Main Range at full price. Ever.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 13, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In honor of meeting a new companion on the TV showed Big Finish is running a small sale on companion debuts.

Edit: Storm Warning is 99¢. Buy it. Everyone in this thread should buy it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 15, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Goddammit Big Finish.... :homebrew:

At least this one is only $15 to get everything on sale on download!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Judoon have some promise. The audio story with them was really well done.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Trin Tragula posted:

What was that actually about? Does anyone know? There was some running around and some people being very enigmatic and it was all nicely photographed and performed well enough...but if you had to describe that episode to another fan who didn't see it, what would you say about it?

I'd call it a basic introduction to the format of the show. They titled it "the pilot" for a reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

I keep calling her "Billie" and have to stop and correct myself.

Let's just call her Hartnell

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do we know the broadcast schedule for the entire season yet? More specifically, are we getting 12 straight weeks of Doctor Who?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Eurovision or some other delay was my concern. Didn't we lose a couple weeks due to football a couple seasons back?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Ah well. Now that I think about it, it didn't have War Doctors sonic in there either. :(

It actually did! It just wasn't visible from the first shot we see of the cup; it's tucked behind and you can only see it from the reverse angle

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Happy Birthday David Tennant. In celebration, as is tradition, give more money to Big Finish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Joke's on them, I already have all of that that I'd want.

I'm sure they'll have a different excuse to suck more money from me after the new episode on the weekend ._,

They ran that sale already; the new companion introduction sale.

But yeah, for the Tennant sale, the only thing I didn't own was Dalek Empire 3. So I bought it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've just hit the 6th series of the Jago and Litefoot audio series, and I have a bit of a...continuity question. Jago in particular (though Litefoot mentions it too) talks about their trips to Venus, Colonial America, and the 60s all feel like a dream, and he can't remember it well. Is this plot-relevant? Or just an effort to reset J&L to a status quo and not have them talk about future stuff?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

If I recall correctly, they started to lose the memory of those trips pretty much immediately.. Don't know really if that needs to be spoilered, but there ya go.

Well yeah, that's what I mentioned. I'm just curious if that is plot relevant, or just fortuitous happenstance to return J&L to their status quo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Makes sense. It's lazy; but probably necessary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

There's a not-insignificant part of the population that thinks Daniel Craig is calling M "mom" in his James Bond movies, so...

A movie review podcast I love spent a solid 20 minutes discussing the symbolism of that, and I was tearing my hair out the whole time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Who was it that predicted a "second episode of Series 10 Big Finish sale"?

You were right.

Edit: Huzzah! I own them all!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone wanted to get tickets to the RiffTrax of Five Doctors Three and a Half Doctors & A Bloke in a Wig, they apparently went up for sale on the 13th. My local theater hasn't sold a single seat yet though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

That was much, much better than I was expecting. It also seemed really long, but that might have just been me.

I thought the line about being familiar with other ships like it was a continuity reference to the solar flares from Ark in Space (and other stories).

I assumed the reference was to Beast Below; especially given the repetition of the Scotland joke

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno; if I didn't have about a dozen years of my own fandom + 50 years of built up history from the show; I might wonder what good the chairs are too. It struck me as a logical question for a human who had no idea aliens and spaceships existed until 48 hours before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, has anyone from Big Finish ever mentioned why there's a bit of an 'overlap' between the new style of Companion Chronicles releases (1st and 2nd Doctor boxsets) and the Early Adventures line (1st and 2nd Doctor stories)? I'd really like to see the CC line return to the style of rotating through more eras...especially now that modern-Who is on the table.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-week-3

This is just happening every week for the whole season, isn't it?

Interesting choice to include one of the old Companion Chronicles that doesn't have a download available.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gaz-L posted:

Yo, Who-goons, it was my birthday recently, and a friend was kind enough to get me the core book for the Doctor Who pen-and-paper RPG. Was wondering if any of my fellow massive nerds on this here dying comedy forum has played/run it and what they think?

I honestly was not a big fan. The rules kept bouncing back and forth between "look how slim and trim and rules-lite we are" and "here's an exhaustive list of traits a character can have, and all the things they change".

It's a novel concept for a tabletop RPG to explicitly let Talkers and Runners act before Shooters/Punchers, given the hobby's proclivity for murder-hobo simulation...but novelty like that is going to come down to the group dynamic way more than the text of the rule book.

EDIT: That said, the books themselves are top notch. Despite not caring too much for the game system itself, I do have a complete collection of the #th Doctor Sourcebooks

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 30, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I won't derail this thread too far...but I am absolutely in love with the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG. The funny dice, while yes are a separate purchase, are such an integral part of the game's experience. Having the three axis success/fail, threat/advantage, triumph/despair setup is SO much nicer than binary "win/lose"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Lord posted:

Pearl Mackie's doing a bang up job. Bill isn't that far off from the average NuWho companion but somehow she stands out.

(Also met Catherine Tate at Planet Comicon today and she is super nice. Had hugs for everyone!)

Did you go to Barrowman's panel where he was wearing a TARDIS-print dress the whole time? Such big arms he has...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://join.skype.com/bot/df8df5db-cec4-4c9a-a047-e869e61f3223

The BBC is running some manner of interactive skype game where you help 12 find the Key to Time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yikes. I didn't catch that bit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Harriet Jones (former Prime Minister)

Yes, we know who she is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've been working my way through Jago & Litefoot....Encore of the Scorchies is amazing. I was honestly not expecting a full musical episode.

• Locked thread