Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If anything the Doctor deleting their routine is freeing them. The directive to serve the humans was what had to be purged- he had to reset them in order for them to no longer be slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Much like last week, the episode exceeded my expectations. The ending was a bit confusing, but it wasn't aggravating.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They probably would have destroyed all of the humans before figuring out that it was wrong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maxwell Lord posted:

If anything the Doctor deleting their routine is freeing them. The directive to serve the humans was what had to be purged- he had to reset them in order for them to no longer be slaves.

I just think that needed a bit more articulation, especially considering it follows last week's episode where a mind-wipe is strongly pushed as a bad thing that is taking away something precious from the person.

Like Strom Cuzewon, when the robot got shot and the other one started flashing between differing emotional states I got it into my head that it was experiencing grief for the first time, the emotion they hadn't been able to understand in the humans which lead to the deaths in the first place. I would have loved if the Doctor had explained the emotion to them and brokered a peace, then told the humans to be LESS emotional and put aside that the robots had killed the set-up crew and set a standard/example for the robots to learn from as they worked together as equals on the planet.

I still liked the ending and really enjoyed the episode, it just felt slightly rushed. This is so much better than In the Forest of the Night it's not even funny though, I would really look forward to seeing him write another episode now.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I just think that needed a bit more articulation, especially considering it follows last week's episode where a mind-wipe is strongly pushed as a bad thing that is taking away something precious from the person.

Like Strom Cuzewon, when the robot got shot and the other one started flashing between differing emotional states I got it into my head that it was experiencing grief for the first time, the emotion they hadn't been able to understand in the humans which lead to the deaths in the first place. I would have loved if the Doctor had explained the emotion to them and brokered a peace, then told the humans to be LESS emotional and put aside that the robots had killed the set-up crew and set a standard/example for the robots to learn from as they worked together as equals on the planet.

I thought this too except I thought it would be Bill giving the speech.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bill doing it would have been a nice parallel to Amy in The Beast Below, true.

Rochallor posted:

A lot of the architecture and sets really looked like the Milwaukee Art Museum, but I'm guessing they didn't fly all the way out to Wisconsin just to shoot an episode.

Of course not... they went to Spain!

The Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias apparently

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Although it would have meant no gnarly scene of people getting munched by nanoclouds, I think that would've been better if we didn't know exactly what happened to the people to start and were speculating along with the doctor(although killed by the robots would always be a good guess). It made the first half or more of the episode a little boring as they puzzled what happened when we already knew, if not why

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Has anyone said Class feels a lot like Torchwood series 1 & 2?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Has anyone said Class feels a lot like Torchwood series 1 & 2?

No because I like Class after one episode so they're already completely different :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Trying to catch up for the new season, which means subjecting myself to the two Christmas specials I've missed. I'm not quite halfway through Husbands and, uh...oof. This is quickly approaching Voyage of The Damned levels of unwatchable. It honestly makes me angry that Moffat and co have had two of the best actors to ever play The Doctor and there's maybe two seasons of good episodes between them.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It was an enjoyable episode, but not really anything special. Though, the design of the Emojibots was cool. I really wish the ending was given a bit more room to breathe. They could've cut out some corridor running and added a bit more to the conclusion. I was also confused about the Doctor saying that was all of humanity there, just because of how many "refugee from Earth" ships we've seen. Hell, I was thinking back to The Beast Below. but, well, Doctor Who has always had a fluid continuity.

I did really like the design of the Emojibots, how the entire colony was made of nanobots (or whatever they called them, I wasn't sure what they were calling them and wished I'd had CC on). The Emojibots' Concerned face was hilarious, and yet foreboding. and the friggin' pound signs at the end made me giggle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
My quick one-sentence review of that episode, because I"m gonna be home for maybe another three minutes:

Basically a version of In the Forest of the Night that's not the worst thing ever.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I'm loving this new season. so far it's just Doctor and Bill having fun adventures.
No friends or family of the companion to drag things down.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

... Hey wait, in the episode they made a big deal about the empty area around the engine.

The pods.

I like this, Capaldi is a good doctor now that they made him less of a callous uncaring dick. I also liked that this episode was linear for once, not a fan of those weird cuts where they suddenly jump to another scene or show things happening out of order.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Yeah, the shooting crew got to go to Spain, we got to go to a grotty old Welsh power station, which I actually prefer.

Carbon dioxide posted:

... Hey wait, in the episode they made a big deal about the empty area around the engine.

That came in a later draft of the script, I think, after the map had been sent to print. I'd been at the booze a bit last night but it looked like they did a closeup shot which may have been a CG insert where they deleted some elements to make it look emptier.

Not looking at DW in particular (although I am) but the worst part about this role in production are the frequent last second changes where the producers assume all you have to do is press buttan/make graphic in 30 seconds, rather than it needing a week of ordering, testing, delivery, etc... I have deep and special relationships with a couple of print companies who are often doing midnight handovers for me that go on set at 6am.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 23, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

I still liked the ending and really enjoyed the episode, it just felt slightly rushed. This is so much better than In the Forest of the Night it's not even funny though, I would really look forward to seeing him write another episode now.

Honestly, when the robot got shot and his lil buddy started having negative emotions for a second I thought the other robots would kill his buddy, then get sad, then be killed by other robots until within minutes all the robots were dead, mirroring the "grief as a virus" that wiped out the humans. I mean, that would have been slightly bleak, but there you go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That was good up until the bit where the Doctor mindwiped a species and then sided with the murderdeath city against the last* remnants of the human race.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The murderdeath happened due to a poorly thought out protocol that he just deleted.

Was this episode meant to be at the same time as Starship UK? I didn't catch the date.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
So have I missed something obvious or are we yet to learn about the Doctor's oath and self imposed exile on Earth? It's to do with the vault from the first episode, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One lovely little touch with the episode; When Bill and the Doctor are first examining the emotion beacon things in their hands, they alternate between having an expression and being blank depending on which character the camera's focused on.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The murderdeath happened due to a poorly thought out protocol that he just deleted.

Was this episode meant to be at the same time as Starship UK? I didn't catch the date.

I think it's generally implied by "I've run into a couple of the other ships".

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/UOEHljn.mp4
"Don't frown. Frown and you're dead."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sure, but the humans are still left in a situation where they have a lot of emotional poo poo to deal with and are on the bad side of a massive power imbalance, and the Doctor doesn't just not give a poo poo but is actually more sympathetic to the beings responsible.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They aren't responsible, they didn't write their own programming.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

They aren't responsible, they didn't write their own programming.
They may not have been ultimately responsible, but they certainly were in a direct sense. By the end it starts to feel a bit iffy, because the Doctor is insisting that they be treated as the rightful inhabitants of the city and offering to negotiate on their behalf.

The more I think about this episode the more I hate the ending.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If anyone wanted to get tickets to the RiffTrax of Five Doctors Three and a Half Doctors & A Bloke in a Wig, they apparently went up for sale on the 13th. My local theater hasn't sold a single seat yet though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
You can tell, even if it lacks pretty much all of the actual flaws of Forest of the Night, that this is the same writer. And this is part of why, because it's the same thing: the Doctor siding with an 'innocent' phenomenally dangerous and generally singular force, that might have caused the story's problems but meant no ill will by it. This is still better than that, because the Doctor's abundantly aware that these robots are loving dangerous, but he's more siding with them out of necessity to prevent further death. The only way this colony can thrive, for better or worse, is for the humans to respect and understand those robots, because they have all the power in this relationship.

I absolutely got the feeling that this peace won't last at all, though. I'm not sure whether or not that's intended, but the Doctor did an awful job of convincing that colony to respect and understand that the robots will gently caress them the gently caress up if they think it's prudent to do so.

On a separate note, something neat that occurred to me when I was watching: the Doctor says that he's met these colony ships before, implying that neither the reason they left nor the fact that this went awry is terribly surprising to him. The former is a general fact that's really not surprising the Doctor knows, but the latter actually makes sense too, as these robots are very similar thematically to the Clockwork Men from Girl in the Fireplace and Deep Breath.

It's probably not the same project judging by the major aesthetic differences, but it's likely the same inciting event leading to them both. Apparently, that period's AI wasn't exactly prepared for managing the extended time they were going to need to run for!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Creature posted:

So have I missed something obvious or are we yet to learn about the Doctor's oath and self imposed exile on Earth? It's to do with the vault from the first episode, right?

I have a wee bit of a notion: "One day, I shall come back..."

That's just speculation on my part.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also that cold open should have been cut entirely because it did a great job of robbing the episode of a lot of mystery.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
i wish they had gone with the black emojis, cos it would've made this reference a little less blatant

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That was much, much better than I was expecting. It also seemed really long, but that might have just been me.

I thought the line about being familiar with other ships like it was a continuity reference to the solar flares from Ark in Space (and other stories).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

That was much, much better than I was expecting. It also seemed really long, but that might have just been me.

I thought the line about being familiar with other ships like it was a continuity reference to the solar flares from Ark in Space (and other stories).

I assumed the reference was to Beast Below; especially given the repetition of the Scotland joke

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Beast Below's setting is itself a callback to Ark in Space, and this episode had callbacks to both.

E: Also I just remembered that the Doctor suggested the Silurians sleep for roughly another thousand years in the 2-parter, which would have led them to wake up right around / after the human exodus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

I assumed the reference was to Beast Below; especially given the repetition of the Scotland joke

That's one of the other stories! :D Ark in Space and Beast Below are both 29th Century

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also that cold open should have been cut entirely because it did a great job of robbing the episode of a lot of mystery.

Word.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's a real "Hadleys Hope in Aliens" type of scene.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I like Bill, but I hope they're not going to keep on with this "she asks weird questions that wouldn't occur to anyone else" schtick. It feels incredibly forced.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The_Doctor posted:

That's one of the other stories! :D Ark in Space and Beast Below are both 29th Century

What I'm getting is that pioneer colony ships leaving Earth to populate another planet don't often turn out very well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I forgave it that just for the absurdity of "mom's dead keep smiling. Gran's dead too keep smiling. Keep smiling dad's dead"

Wheezle posted:

I like Bill, but I hope they're not going to keep on with this "she asks weird questions that wouldn't occur to anyone else" schtick. It feels incredibly forced.

Which questions rubbed you the wrong way? Nothing felt especially weird this week.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

What I'm getting is that pioneer colony ships leaving Earth to populate another planet don't often turn out very well.

Whoever founded New Earth did a fine job. The problems it had were long past colonization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I emjoyed that but am agreeing with everyone who said it could have been better.

They ended with the idea that the robots were a new species, but that could have been used better.

One of many examples: have the robots learn grief through the loss of their companion, show them realising that the sadness that comes from loss is not a weakness, but an acknowledgement of how good things can be and through that truly become a new life form.

The turn them off and on again ending felt like a cop out.

• Locked thread