Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Awww, BBC's just announced that Tim Pigott-Smith has died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39526103

I had a big crush on his character when I was a little Boods, and the first time I saw Masque of Mandragora. I always thought Sarah Jane should have gone for him, and not the other drip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

It seems as if his death was rather sudden, as he was due to start a play on Monday, and has been filming a load of stuff, too.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

PowerBuilder3 posted:

So why did the puddle monster scream and rush at her then? Hey, I can travel across all space and time, and track people too, but I'm just no good as asking them to go with me? Or just bad writing, or some rule all monsters have to roar?

Last week, I flew from Heathrow to Baltimore to stay with a good friend for the week (am still here in fact). I like her a lot, but after my experience crossing 'time and space' I greeted her in the airport with a howling scream whilst rushing at her.

So maybe puddle-girl was just reacting from a combo of jetlag and dealing with the TSA of the space-time continuum. She has my sympathies if so.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Eight is the weary burned out manager who once had a dream of playing music and snogging redheads.

I dunno, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-5LAe_x_0

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Here's some background score for your lovely viddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHrryY5UL0

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Please look for my Doctor Who episode, Doctor Whofangled and The Invisible Arps, starring Tamsin Grieg as the Doctor.

with Dylan Moran as the Master and Bill Bailey as the Doctor's companion :allears:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As I'm on my way down south for a bit soon does anyone fancy a trip to the pub or something?

I forget who lives down that way (except Ms Boods!)

I'm stuck in my lair on the south coast with about 40 exams this weekend :( (which I'm powering through, no breaks, no excuses, to get the damned things out of my life...you know it's going to be a long session when the first one out of the pile contains this gem, 'The Gracchi had some reforms, things gradually happened, and then Julius Caesar.' Now there's a Doctor Who episode waiting to be written).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I plan approximately 5 years in advance; this'd be some time in June or July :v:

I hear you...I live so far into the future that I'm often grateful to discover what my far more competent past self has been up to, in terms of 'the moment has been prepared for' when a deadline does arrive!

I might be recovered by then, if exam papers that aren't, in their entirety, 'The first thing you have to keep in mind about Rome was that they had a Republic' are the exception rather than the rule in this interminable pile. A day out at Gunwharf or the Mary Rose is becoming more and more attractive by the second.

Jerusalem -- I've had more than a few essays that waffled for a sentence about 'the time of the monarchy' and then plunged straight into the Gracchi, as if really nothing of importance happened between 509 and 133 B.C. Oh except that Hannibal guy had some elephants.

Speaking of elephants lumbering over the Alps -- iPlayer's been naughty the past few days:

Cleretic posted:

Damnit, are they finally cracking down on people accessing iPlayer by VPN? Nothing's playing when I try.

EDIT: Naturally, the moment I post this, it works. Nevermind!

Licence holder here -- iPlayer won't work on Firefox this morning, but played ok on IE. Looks as if it's been an issue for a couple of days (combined wth Virgin broadband throwing a rod and reducing our internet speed to dial-up speed, it's been a magical week to work from the house).

Strange little episode...baddies who open, but don't move, their mouths to speak..hmmm. Ah well, if the Doctor was caught in a computer simulation, at least he didn't get his foot caught in a railway switch this time :v:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 21, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I liked her jacket/coat a lot.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: if it was literally David Tennant again I might be on board, as an actor he's really fun. But don't give me a white gangly suitman.

If you ever get a chance to see him on stage, do so; Don Juan in Soho was a cracker.

I'm also disappointed to see Capaldi go after such a good series this time around. I've been a fan since way back in his Local Hero and Lair of the Whte Worm Days, and it was a struggle sometimes to watch the episodes when Clara was the companion.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Lots of Tacitus :allears:

Raptores orbis, postquam cuncta vastantibus defuere terrae, iam mare scrutantur: si locuples hostis est, avari, si pauper, ambitiosi, quos non Oriens, non Occidens satiaverit: soli omnium opes atque inopiam pari adfectu concupiscunt. auferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant (Tac., Agr. 30.4-5).

My crappy translation: 'The robbers of the world...after they have destroyed swathes of land, then they devastate the sea. If their enemies are rich, then they [the Romans] are greedy. If their enemies are poor, then they enslave them. They are not satisfied with East nor West. They alone of all people crave desire as much as wealth. To plunder, to butcher, to rape -- they call it 'Empire'.....they create a desert, and call it peace'.

It's a speech of a captured British king before the emperor in Rome; the Romans are so touched by it, they spare him and his family, although they make them live in a sort of house arrest in Rome after that. You can see matey from To the Manor Born all buttered up and giving the speech in I, Claudius as he plays the captured king Caractacus.

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 18, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Namtab posted:

Quite good even though the bit with the crows was kinda dumb.

According to St Augustine, crows say 'Cras! Cras!' because they're lazy procrastinating bastards (cras being Latin for 'tomorrow').

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

And he was ginger as a young'un

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not sure it's the same thing as with Spare Parts, unfortunately. Yvonne only remembers her family because she's not actually converted. Her operation left her only partly lobotomised, thanks to a power outage, and her personality reverts to a childlike state.

Ray Purchase is in for a surprise, then, the next time he gets home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Big Finish posted:

We are happy to announce we have signed an iron-clad 15 year deal with Peter Capaldi to do the 12th Doctor Adventures. We also would like to note that while we are happy to announce it, we are also being forced to, because Peter Capaldi showed up at Nick Briggs' door at 5am this morning with 100 pre-written scripts, Craig Ferguson, and a gun.

Just tweaked that a wee bit for yer.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Either that or Dylan Moran as the Doctor with Bill Bailey and Tamsin Greig as his expendables.

Until the Doctor's Summer Girl comes along...still, this casting will never not get my vote.

• Locked thread