Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Starburst Magazine 2/1982 posted:

Matthew Waterhouse has been hugely popular with fans as the Doctor's new sidekick on Doctor Who, but behind the scenes? Not so much.

Perhaps he's too focused on delivering a good performance on screen, but Matthew just seems to forget his manners on set. His behaviour was described by various members of the cast and crew as ranging from "grossly rude" to "eye-wateringly rude" – and he also spent a fair bit of time giving unrequested lectures on acting to the Doctor himself, Peter Davison.

Of course, Davison won't have to deal with it any longer as Earthshock is up next.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The new season is alright and all, but in more important matters, I have a continuity question about The Two Masters BFA. There's a flashback that takes place on Terserus, and it's revealed that it was the MacQueen Master who fried his earlier self into the Pratt/Beevers corpse form and called in Chancellor Goth, leading into The Deadly Assassin. The thing is, I always thought that Pratt and Beevers were supposed to be a melting Delgado, but in the audio it's just Beevers even before he's corpsified. Did I misunderstand something, or are BF saying that there's a straight-up, not-undead Geoffrey Beevers incarnation in between Delgado and Pratt? Is there precedence for this somewhere? I've just assumed that Delgado -> Pratt was pretty widely accepted as what happened.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Box of Bunnies posted:

I finally listened to Zagreus over the last couple of days and while it was kind of a bloated mess with some interesting underlying ideas my main take away has been my brain filling out quieter moments of the day making up dumb new verses to the rhyme like

Zagreus at the restaurant
Zagreus knows not what he'd want
Zagreus hems and haws a lot
And never ends up eating

Nice to hear someone's as lame as me

Forktoss posted:

Steven Moffat writes a script
Steven Moffat sits tight-lipped
If Moffat hears your tongue has slipped
He eats you when you're sleeping

- "Spoilers Leak No More", an inscription on the walls of the Doctor Who production offices

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Getting back to election news, we here in Finland have just chosen as the leader of a major government party (and possibly our new Minister of Foreign Affairs) a disgusting lizard-faced crypto-fascist shithead who his followers seriously and unironically call the Master and I'm not even kidding.

Anyway, Paradise Towers is really good and looking like a reasonably appealing place to live right now.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Some newer audios and comics have insinuated pretty strongly that there's at least one incarnation between Delgado and Pratt, and on the whole that's nice since it gives writers a lot more leeway, but at the same time I do think there's something satisfying about the old conception that Delgado was the Master's last regeneration and he melts into Pratt/Beevers. The Master's personality doesn't change that much between incarnations in the classic series, and it's cool to think that the nasty zombie face of Pratt/Beevers was hidden behind Delgado's suave mask the whole time, while Tremas' body allows him to play up his smoother side once again. (and then he turns into a cat person and then into a goo worm)

By the way, is anybody taking part in the BF Short Trip competition this year? I sent something in last year, but it's starting to look like I won't have the time to properly hammer out my submission this year. Best of luck to anyone thinking of taking part, though, and hurry up before it closes!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I think my favourite part was the Simm Master trying on Missy's eyeliner. :allears: The two Masters were perfect, especially Simm just revelling in every chance to be as pettily nasty as possible. Asking Bill for old bras, he's such a loving dick :allears::allears::allears:

I also think this two-parter did the Cybermen justice pretty well, I liked that they were definitely the main threat of the second episode instead of playing second fiddle to the Master(s) again.

Also Bill is probably the best companion in ages, Capaldi remains being only upstaged by his increasingly gorgeous hair, and oh my goodness gracious there's David Bradley. This was a pretty good season overall, yeah.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Murderion posted:

Was "Sontarans are interfering with all of human history" just a reference to the F2P mobile game, or is it something else?

Really liked this episode, but also really hoping we get Nicholas Briggs re-dubbing all of Bill's lines in sassy cyberman voice as a DVD special feature or something.

"Sontarans perverting the course of human history" was what the Fourth Doctor mumbled post-regeneration, and I think the same lines were referenced in some earlier Capaldi episode as well?

kant posted:

Wait a minute. If all he did was change a 1 to a 2, assuming he meant number of hearts, then wouldn't the cybermen stop going after the humans?!

loving loved the Doctor's ACTION TYPING mid-stumble, that was hilarious. Please consider that bit for your post-episode giffing, Jerusalem!

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Yesss that's the stuff

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Has anyone listened to the first season of the Early Adventures? Bradley has got me on a First Doctor kick, and I'd be tempted to pick up some of the ones on sale if there are any particular highlights.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

cargohills posted:

How strongly would people recommend The Last Adventure and UNIT: Dominion? They're both on sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should get them. I've not heard any of the Klein audios aside from Colditz, and I'm not at all familiar with any of the 6th Doctor companions in his box aside from Charley (with 8) and Mel.

UNIT: Dominion is really great, that one's definitely a recommend. The preceding Klein trilogy isn't required listening for any specific plot reasons, but she is in a very different place in UNIT: Dominion than she was in Colditz, so its premise alone does kind of spoil the ultimate resolution of the previous trilogy if you care about that sort of thing. (That Klein trilogy, especially The Architects of History, is some of my favourite BF ever, so definitely check those out too if you have the chance - and I should stress that I don't think knowing about where she ends up in UNIT: Dominion really makes the previous stories any less great.)

The Last Adventure is more of a mixed bag, but I enjoyed it well enough on the whole. Knowing the companions isn't necessary, but The Trial of a Time Lord and Time and the Rani are obviously referenced pretty often. Having some level of tolerance for wishy-washy Nick Briggs scripts helps appreciate it better, but there's a lot to like even besides that, as the crew of returning characters alone pretty much makes the whole thing worth it. The Charley story is total crap, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

thexerox123 posted:

Wilderness Years aside, what's the longest they've gone without having The Master show up?

I'm guessing between The Deadly Assassin and The Keeper of Traken, which is about five years.

EDIT: The gap between Simm and Gomez is almost four years, too, which is probably the second longest.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread