Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat has had a year to put this season together so I'm really, really hoping the quality is high.

Well, he and Gatiss had as much time to put the last season of Sherlock together and it wasn't great on the whole BUT I thought the episode Moffat wrote by himself was fine (or at least the best one of the three). :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There's one effect that hasn't aged well.

Wow, that was 12 years ago. Hard to believe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just been reading Wikipedia's page on actors who could have been the Doctor.

Some interesting possibilities here. I knew a lot of these already but there's a couple of surprises; I already knew that Brian Blessed was approached to play the Second Doctor but I didn't know that Valentine Dyall and Sir Michael Hordern were as well. I wouldn't want to replace Troughton at all, but can you imagine if Michael Hordern had played the Doctor? That would have been something.

Not quite as surprising as some of the folks named on this list, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking earlier that I'd be dead keen on Kim Newman getting a shot at writing an episode, like Neil Gaiman did. I reckon he could come up with something fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine such a story would have him trapped on a space station or something like that without access to the TARDIS and he would probably have to rig things up so he could lure the creature into some kind of deep-freeze chamber or trick it into an escape pod and shoot it into space.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Action Man posted:

I activated my BritBox free trail yesterday, and I am overwhelmed by all the classic Doctor Who I now have access to. Then I saw a previously unknown version of Hound of the Baskervilles starring Tom Baker as Sherlock Holmes.

I haven't watched that version but I understand Baker himself wasn't completely satisfied with his portrayal of Holmes.

(I think Jeremy Brett would've been a good Doctor at any point in the classic run really.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Based on a few "How to Make Doctor Who Great Again?" articles I've read, I get the feeling there's a wee bit of a consensus among critics and commentators that Capaldi's age has counted against the show. I don't know if that's borne out by facts (because the only other people I know who like the show are all adults) but it would be a real shame if it was true. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McGann posted:

I really hope that's just the "tumblr demographic" consensus but I've heard much the same thing with regard to merchandising and all this talk about the "Tennant glory days".

It's not even any particular part of the fandom saying it - I most recently read that in an article on the Guardian website! I've seen similar stuff from the websites for other national newspapers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The coolest possible Doctor (relative to the time of broadcast) probably would've been Peter Wyngarde playing the Third Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Box of Bunnies posted:

My best friend who only got into the show a few years ago is as Tennant fangirl as they come but she still liked Matt Smith and likes Capaldi a lot as well. Blaming Capaldi's age for the show not doing as well because he's not a dashing young man seems like a bit of a cheap, empty way to have a go at the mythical "tumblr fangirl" bogeywoman who dares to have taken the grognard's show and not appreciated it in exactly the same way as them without actually meaning anything.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression because I certainly didn't mean to. I was thinking of young viewers more so than "Tumblr fangirls". :shrug:

Payndz posted:

Peter Wyngarde would have been excellent as an alternate Third Doctor, though. Especially if he'd done what he did as Jason King and just played an exaggerated version of himself.

I can just imagine him coming across a Dalek that's been blown up with some kind of green goo seeping out of its seams and muttering, "Fancy..." then striking a match off its casing to light a cigarette.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the episode and hope they can keep it up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

He's asking the other way around - what new series characters/monsters will be one day revised as "Classic"

Remember how in 2005 people were convinced that the Slitheen were going to be revival's lasting contribution to the rogues' gallery?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun episode - I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to next week.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a sneaking suspicion about what the "promise" Nardole was saying the Doctor made was as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Creature posted:

So have I missed something obvious or are we yet to learn about the Doctor's oath and self imposed exile on Earth? It's to do with the vault from the first episode, right?

I have a wee bit of a notion: "One day, I shall come back..."

That's just speculation on my part.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

That reminds me, was her Queen Victoria show any good?

I'm looking forward to the next season of that show's time-travelling crossover with The Crown as part of the ITV and Netflix's new shared universe, the Windsorverse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't blow me away but it certainly wasn't bad. I thought it looked very nice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Period" episodes like this (and indeed period dramas in general) should come with accompanying scratch and sniff cards so you get a more immersive experience. :D

Was just thinking, is this the closest thing we've had to a pure historical adventure in the revival? Because I don't think there were any aliens in this episode other than the Doctor himself (and Nardole) - the fish monster was implied to be a survivor from prehistoric times, wasn't it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hurt came from a pretty cool generation of actors, didn't he? All those guys and girls born between 1930 and 1940 - you had Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Alan Bates, Oliver Reed, Brian Blessed, Ian Holm, Anthony Hopkins, Vanessa Redgrave, Julie Andrews; a whole host of others. Tom Baker was in that generation of actors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

David Suchet :hellyeah:

There's a very recent Radio Times article (read it here) where David Suchet says his favourite Doctor is the Sixth Doctor because he and Colin Baker were at LAMDA together.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Suchet was definitely one of the highlights.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much does an average episode of Doctor Who typically cost to produce? I've heard £800,000 but that seems low to me (maybe I'm overestimating how expensive everything is) and I imagine it must be one of the Beeb's more expensive programmes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

£800,000 is an average. Some episodes, like this one, would be cheaper and have less of that share.

Season 5 from my understanding was averaging out at about 1.5 million per episode with significantly more spent on the Angels two parter filmed before anything else.

Oops.

Right, I see. I think I've heard something similar about season one: I remember reading (I can't remember if it's in The Writer's Tale because I've not read it in ages) that nobody on the programme in 2005 had any experience running a science-fiction show, so they ended up using most of the season's effects budget on "The End of the World".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hadn't heard of this. Can I not talk about listening to some boogie-woogie on the 88s any more, then? :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

It's the actual set! They're running tours for a few weeks before filming starts on the Christmas special. They've got the TARDIS background noise playing while you're in there for extra atmosphere. They kindly ask you don't touch the console.

I don't suppose you saw any clues? No stickers labelled "Kris stands here" or the like? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some other names who have recently come up include Luke Treadaway (who was in A Street Cat Named Bob) and Sacha Dhawan (who already has a connection to Doctor Who - he played Waris Hussein, the programme's very first director, in An Adventure In Space and Time). Either could be interesting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They've had a pretty good streak of consistent episodes so far - I don't know if I enjoyed this one as much as last week's (because this week didn't have David Suchet) but it was still very good. The zombies were pretty creepy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did they specify when this was set in the future? I'm wondering whether the "space is ruled by corrupt corporations" era comes before or after "space is ruled by the Daleks using reality TV broadcasts as a front" and "space is ruled by Warwick Davis".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I was half-expecting after the Doctor's spacewalk was an off-hand mention that Time Lords have a respiratory bypass system. Granted, that's something that fell by the wayside many years ago (in fact, I'm pretty sure it showed up out of the blue the first time to explain why the Doctor could survive getting strangled by a robot mummy) but it's the kind of obscure reference that wouldn't seem altogether out of place in that scenario.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He uses it to survive in space in Four to Doomsday, as it happens

Didn't he have a mask (but not a full suit) that time?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an AMA Jamie Mathieson did on Reddit shortly before the episode came out.

One thing he mentions is that he hasn't heard from Chibnall about contributing to season 11 and he expects that Chibnall will largely have his own team with him. Disappointing if that's how it pans out but probably not unexpected.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

echoplex posted:

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

Which show is it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Weren't the Daleks going to be the surprise villains of Blake's 7 at one point?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Speaking of leaving a familiar face in the TARDIS when a new doctor comes along, whose to say that Bill being gay doesn't lead to a possible romance angle with the new Doctor? :getin:

I think won't happen because the new Doctor almost certainly isn't going to be a woman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's a good twist for the younger members of the audience. I don't think it's too patronising or anything to spell it out like that when you have younger viewers in mind.

I suspect that if I was wee and watched this episode I would've been pretty impressed when the screen went black and the Doctor said, "I'm still blind!" :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

"LOOK AT ME!"

"I CAN'T, I'M DIFFERENTLY ABLED!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Next episode had better involve a strange mirror.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know what might possibly be fun if it happens? If Jenna Coleman makes some recordings for Big Finish, except she's playing different versions of Clara from throughout history and interacting with Davison, Baker, McCoy and McGann.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, people are mad about that relationship? Jack and Ashi are adorable together! :psyduck:

Jack x Scotsman OTP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the oft-cited facts about Nirvana is how Nevernind displaced Michael Jackson's Dangerous as the number-one album in America. Less frequently remembered is that Nevernind stayed there for a fortnight before being replaced by a Garth Brooks album that was there for 10 weeks.

• Locked thread