Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Michael Bolton was one of the most popular solo male artists of the early 90s. Concurrent with grunge, golden age hip-hop etc.

Billy Ray Cyrus had an album (the one with "Achey Breaky Heart") that shifted 10 million copies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I understand that Gomez will be leaving along with Capaldi and Moffat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Awww man, she's so good :(

However, Radio Times reports that she is appearing in more episodes this season than the next one and the last two as was originally indicated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

It's basically the first half-hour to 45 minutes of the Matrix but… Doctor Who.

It felt like an hour of set-up for what's likely to be a disappointing episode next week (I believe next week is this season's Peter Harness episode).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hangedman1984 posted:

I'm curious as to who originally wrote the Veritas? Surely the mysterious invading aliens wouldn't have put it in.

Robert Kilroy-Silk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, there were two seven year gaps between Cybermen appearances in 1968 ("The Invasion"), 1975 ("Revenge") and 1982 ("Earthshock").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Also today I learned that Paul McGann was going to be Sharpe until he injured himself playing football just before filming started. One can only imagine that we would have had one of the three million other possible candidates for Eight if he had.

Would've been funny if Paul McGann had played Sharpe then Mark McGann had played Eight.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I spent my evening in Manchester airport waiting to go home (do not recommend) so I'm only getting started on the iPlayer now.

I must confess, the "in case of emergency, the Doctor is president of the world" thing hasn't really worked for me since it was introduced. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Overall, that episode didn't really feel like much of anything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm never quite sure if Who is supposed to take place in the present or in some near-future that's just far enough removed that we can pretend world leaders are people we haven't heard of yet.

President-elect (so he was elected in the presidential election of either 2006 or 2007 but hasn't taken office yet) Winters is killed by the Master in 2007. Barack Obama is president in 2009 when the Master turns everyone into THE MASTER RACE. So presumably there was a presidential election in 2006 or 2007, then another one in 2008 which elected Obama and set history back on course.

Or something like that. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, why the gently caress do they keep letting Peter Harness write episodes when he keeps writing crap?

Probaby. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

navyjack posted:

Goddamn, Bill really IS racist! First blue people, now orange. Sad, really.

Like that Green Lantern comic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Except it was RTD who did it the first time, so I don't get your point?

Moffat's been in charge long enough that he catches blame for things he didn't do. No joke, a few months ago in the Doctor Who thread on a different forum, there was a guy asking why the president from "The Sound of Drums" was only "president-elect" and the reply was "He's president-elect because Moffat is an idiot".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like "Aliens of London" a lot. Of all the episodes of the 2005 series, I think it's the most 2005, which I should say I don't mean in a bad way.

(The far-future setting keeps the last two with the reality TV parodies from being more so.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an idea I've had - imagine an alternate universe where either the Second or Third Doctor is played by John Le Mesurier and the Brigadier is Arthur Lowe. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I love the Sherlock Holmes stories but a lot of them aren't exactly "follow the clues to find out whodunnit" mysteries, like you'd have in an Agatha Christie novel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

It was a shame Jekyll ended so poorly, I enjoyed most of it. Hyde had some fun lines, like "Have you ever killed anyone? It's great it's like sex but there's a winner!"

I also liked "I don't know why, but I woke up really wanting to hurt you!"

Would've been funny if they had cast Paterson Joseph as the Doctor and James Nesbitt as the Master, done a bit of a Jekyll reunion.

Of course, would've been funnier if they had cast Helen Baxendale as the Doctor and James Nesbitt as the Master, done a bit of Cold Feet reunion.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you have an episodic tv series, it is usually better for your storylines not to go past one season. Obviously you want to set up the next season, leave a question or two unanswered to go back to later, but you have to be prepared to commit to it. The big question at the end of season five was "Who blew up the TARDIS?" then season six goes somewhere completely different and the answer is given as a kind of aside in a Christmas special.

Clearly it's different for Doctor Who but when it comes to plotting tv shows, I feel like starting with, "Oh, I'll bring this in now and resolve this in three seasons' time," is a bit like the Hollywood "We don't care if it's a good movie - we just want the launchpad for a new franchise" sensibility you get a lot nowadays (e.g. Dracula Untold, seemingly endless YA adaptations etc.).

But, regardless, all Moffat has to do is make stories that seem clever and he'll get away with it provided there's enough "epic" moments people can turn into gifs and stick on Tumblr and one-liners that can turn into annoying memes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

You don't really do that with Christie novels, either. You can typically tell who did it almost right away from characterization and her writing style, but the clues rarely lead you to the actual murderer.

In fact, in one of her most famous stories, because the narrator did it, he has left out crucial parts of the story, intentionally obscuring them.

Fair enough - I've read fewer Christie novels than Holmes stories and confess I'm more familiar with them via adaptations.

Dabir posted:

Wait, they explained who blew up the TARDIS?

Well, "explained" is perhaps putting it a bit generously. In "The Time of the Doctor", there's a bit where he meets Orla Brady on her spaceship and she says (paraphrased), "Oh, by the way, Madame Kovarian blew up your TARDIS."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

They offered the series to one other show runner who turned it down.

Any clue who?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit that the "Beeb wants a dashing romantic David Tennant type" stories we've been hearing is what makes me a wee bit doubtful about Kris Marshall.

I appreciate I'm being a bit rude about him (and maybe I just haven't watched enough Death In Paradise or whatever), but he doesn't exactly give off that "dashing romantic" vibe to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If nothing else, maybe Chibnall can actually run the show without ridiculous delays, budget problems, and BTS drama. It's been said before, but during Moffat's tenure he managed to waste two of the best actors to ever play the role because he couldn't run the show in a professional and effective manner. The BBC's reaction and desire for a more marketable Doctor shouldn't be surprising, and Moffat should be held accountable for his fuckups instead of lauded by the fanbase for his half-assed output.

Will be very interested to see what kind of post-mortem (if any) comes out when Moffat's gone. Even if no one has any behind-the-scenes stories (or at least don't feel like airing them in public out of professional courtesy), it will be interesting to look back and take stock as a whole of the seven (!) years Moffat's been in charge.

I'd be very interested in seeing if he does anything like The Writer's Tale, which I think rehabilitate opinions of RTD as writer and showrunner for a lot of people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But it is a bit weird how - between Doctor Who and Sherlock - he's managed to become one of the most high-profile showrunners, not just in Doctor Who history, but in television right now. I remember a couple of years ago (and I know I mentioned it in either the last thread or the one before it) seeing a either an issue of DWM or a general sci-fi magazine which had a big interview with him advertised on the front cover, which described him as something like "the biggest writer in TV today!" and as I thought, "Rubbish!" until I realised I couldn't name any other writers or showrunners in Britain with the same profile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Improvement on last week but to be honest I don't think this really needed to be a three-part story. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Anything's better than that goddamn hoodie.

Even the Noel Edmonds shirt?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

I miss his Crombie coat and he's original look so much.

There was so much hype around those early photos of Capaldi in the Crombie and Doc Martens like he's on his way to a Madness concert but then (at least as far as I recall) it wasn't really in season eight that much, was it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I suddenly had the wish earlier that the War Doctor had been played by Don Warrington.

Of course that would have been a bit problematic as 'the regeneration I'd rather forget'.

"I have waded through the Rising Damp of the Time War..."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember an issue of DWM in 2005 which summarised the nine year career of the Eighth Doctor. It had this table which broke down his companions, villains, adventures etc. across the three media he appeared in (audio plays, comic strips, novels) and for audio it had: "THE DOCTOR FIGHTS: Zagreus, ancient Time Lord fairytale monster; WHO LOSES BECAUSE: All he actually does is shout his own name a lot".

I think the novel one was THE DOCTOR FIGHTS: Sabbath; WHO LOSES BECAUSE: He's bad at heart transplants" or something funny like that.

(Granted, this is a magazine I read when I was 13 so I probably have a less than perfect recollection.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose I'm pretty happy with the election result - I think it will give us in Northern Ireland a much more meaningful voice in the country at large than we had before.

Edit: News just in and it looks like I'm right!

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 9, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Downside is they're a bunch of really right wing homophobic creationists.

Haha, I live in the one constituency here where the MP isn't with either the terrorists or the homophobes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

Now now. The homophobes used to be terrorists too.

Haha, true enough. :D

But seriously folks, the DUP are the worst party in parliament. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It at least seems like this is a political version of a situation where the normal Daleks and the ones still loyal to Davros are going to have to try to form a coalition to do anything, and that the normal ones are about as recalcitrant as Daleks get, so a coalition is unlikely.

No, it's more like a situation where the normal Daleks need to form a coalition with the ones they'd put on the asylum planet.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway, I quite liked the new episode preview but am expecting to be disappointed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've generally had fun with Gatiss's episodes over the past 10 years (even silly ones that weren't usually so well-received like "Victory of the Daleks" and "Robot of Sherwood"), but I think there's usually, though not always, something about them that doesn't quite click. :shrug:

The best thing he's done with Doctor Who is probably "An Adventure In Space and Time".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good fun - definite improvement on the last week's and indeed both weeks before that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Well they were progressive enough to have a black soldier, so they weren't all bad! :v:

Like was that actually a thing? Really? I get that Moffat doesn't want to be racist and not cast people of color in any particular role, and he wants to show people of color that they aren't left out. I also get ok, maybe there could have been a random black family in a medieval village who somehow traveled thousands of miles in the 10th century to Britain, and there could have been black people and Indians in a cosmopolitan capital of an empire like 19th century London. But at some point isn't he doing a disservice showing something that absolutely would never have happened? Or did it? Were there black soldiers serving with whites in Queen Victoria's army, like the 20 or so black Confederates people manage to dredge up to "prove" the South wasn't racist? I mean, the black Roman soldier in next week's preview seems more historically plausible. :shrug:

There's a fairly famous painting (of which - despite it's fame - I can't remember the title or the artist :v:) of a group of people in England hearing the news of Napoleon's defeat, one of whom is a black man in the uniform of the Foot Guards (one of the most prestigious infantry regiments in the British army at that time). It was very uncommon, but not unheard of.

EDIT:

I checked it out and it was Sir David Wilkie's painting of the Chelsea Pensioners receiving word of Napoleon's defeat:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 11, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alan Cumming reveals that RTD wanted him to play the Doctor but he said no because he didn't want to have to go to Cardiff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The Shakespeare Code" had exactly the same moment as the frost fair episode where Martha has reservations about standing out as a black woman in Elizabethan London and the Doctor points out that history is more diverse than one is often taught.

For the longest time I thought that was a Gatiss episode, because it feels incredibly like a Gatiss episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Indeed, I'd previously assumed it was Gatiss's spiritual sequel to "The Unquiet Dead".

• Locked thread