Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Strong rumors that they've explicitly been searching for a "David Tennant-type".

Luke Treadaway and Sacha Dhawan have been talked about.

It's why I remain sceptical of Kris Marshall (which I'm sure I've mentioned loads of times before). I'm sure he's a perfectly fine actor and I imagine I'm being terribly unfair to him but he doesn't exactly scream "dashing, romantic David Tennant type". Of course, that being said, taking Kris Marshall for a dashing, romantic David Tennant type seems like exactly the sort of thing the BBC would do. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, I can totally see them doing Luke Treadaway out of those two.

New companion confirmed to be a street cat named Bob.

Edit: One guy I'm aware of who's stated that playing the Doctor would be his dream job is Alexander Vlahos, who I believe was in Merlin. Says he would play the character like Paul McGann did.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 13, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

They stay! The episode ends abominably!

It's sort of ambiguous. The mum kicks him out but the son goes and helps him with his suitcase, so who knows.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The one bit of "42" I remember best is the Doctor yelling "COME ON, MY SON!" like he's at a football match while he's outside the spaceship trying to reach for something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elite posted:

The thing that annoys me about Torchwood is that it started from such an advantageous position and still managed to gently caress it up horrendously.

In retrospect, Theresa May was a poor choice of showrunner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elite posted:

I was really excited when Moffat became showrunner because he had penned my favourite episodes of the revival series... but the golden age I was anticipating never really happened

You could probably argue that it did... but only for one season. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I kind of am not sure of the point of changing the gender or race of the doctor beyond giving a more diverse list of actors that position. The doctor is an alien who did not come from any human culture, and does not represent something a person can be, storywise at least. Maybe that could be solved if they do more with the concept of the people he meets being inspirations for his new forms, more than the Roman who became 13's face, but that's not really the same as becoming the Doctor. I don't know.
At the end of the day it would be a nice gesture, and it might be more possible if they have their tennant 2 for a while, but idk.

I think it would be interesting because it would create new story opportunities, but at the same time, the value of that is contingent on the writers making the most of those opportunities. Suppose, for instance, that Doctor Who had continued into the 90s and eventually Art Malik was cast as the Ninth Doctor in 1995 after Richard Griffiths quits as Eight. A story where the TARDIS lands in the British Raj would be very different than if the Doctor appeared to be a white Englishman. Of course, as I said, that depends entirely on the writing staff being game for taking advantage of the chance to tell that kind of story.

But even if they don't want to do that - if they decided, "Let's cast X, Y or Z because they'd just be good at it and not bother about making a point" - I can't really think of any good reason not to do it. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

Looks really good, but I have to say that: "With his plans approaching fruition, the Master travels to Stamford Bridge in the 1970s" is not a sentence that gets me all a-quiver.

It turns out the Master's just a big Chelsea fan and not missing a match is the one thing more important to him than conquering the universe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Briggs is Who's Dennis Waterman. "I'll write the story, and play the Doctor!", despite not being any good at impressions.

He'll be teaming up with Jon Culshaw to do a new series of Dead Ringers next.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

So Gatiss and Moffat are going to be doing Dracula series for the BBC.

Calling it now: Dracula will be Alexander Vlahos. Likewise, the official title will probably be "Drac" and he'll be a disaffected millennial who hates his PhD supervisor, Professor Van Helsing. :v:

I love Dracula. I love the novel, I love the movies, I love the character, and there's a whole bunch of spin-offs and remakes and reinterpretations I love as well. I'll be interested to see how this goes. Of course, I love Sherlock Holmes as well and I'm fairly equivocal about Sherlock, so we'll see. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Sherlock was awful.

There were bits of it I enjoyed.

Obviously it's not as good as the Jeremy Brett series from the 1980s, but what is?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

Given the rumors about the Christmas special, I suspect they had a clean exit planned from the start.

Chris Chibnall promises to be a strong and stable showrunner because Moffxit means Moffxit.

<CUT TO 2018 - ARLENE FOSTER IS THE THIRTEENTH DOCTOR>

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it was really good but the preview makes next week does not fill me with confidence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BSam posted:

So what is it?

Somebody punch him out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

I really liked the scenes of the Doctor and Bill jokingly discussing her mortality whilst eating chips, while the Doctor tried to defuse the situation in the present. Especially with how cavalier they both were:
"Just... promise me you won't let me die, yeah?"
"Oh, I can't promise that..."
"Oh... hah... thanks!"

As we see the gun go off and a large hole in her chest is revealed.

I would have expected the Doctor to put himself dead in front of Bill and not move as he went over to the blue dude rather than going around his line of fire, but I suppose if he'd done that the plot wouldn't have happened.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently read this kind of "alternate history" story about different actors playing the Doctor, and got to thinking, if the Daleks had never appeared in Doctor Who, would it have lasted? I'm pretty sure the Daleks were what "made" the show in its very early days.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

BBC has no interest in casting a woman in the role, they're dead-set on hiring another Tennant because they think that'll be more marketable.

They're probably right. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lampsacus posted:

Has the 13th Doctor's name been released?

Yes, it was in the last episode. His name is "Doctor Who". :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

About time we had a loving Irish Doctor!

Let's split the difference:

TinTower posted:

Ed Sheeran should be the Doctor.

If it stops him making music, sure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lampsacus posted:

I want to see a quick sequence of Doctors that include those three.

One thing I thought of recently that I imagine could be fun would be a story where the Doctor becomes trapped in a time loop in which he dies, and each time he regenerates into someone different, and each new Nth Doctor has to puzzle things out and leave clues for the next one (like that one episode of TNG where Data remembers Riker's command pips).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Sort of like Heaven Sent? :shobon:

Indeed, sort of like that, though I think it'd be much cheaper because I imagine you could either set the entire thing in the TARDIS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

And Tom Baker is behind you, emptying your drinks cabinet into his mouth.

Colin Baker visited and he was great company, but you're not sure why all your DVDs have been mysteriously replaced by copies of "Vengeance On Varos: Special Edition" (some say it's a classic, though).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Seeing Billy Bragg talk about Jeremy Corbyn playing long games re: Brexit makes me miss the Mighty Jagrofess of the Holy Hadrojassic Maxenroddenfoe.

Fun fact: the Jagrafess was actually modelled on the late Rev. Ian Paisley.

Serious: it's kinda weird seeing Simon Pegg in that episode, because he was well-known here at the time but he hadn't become an international star yet. It's sort of like Tom Hardy in Star Trek Nemesis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The scene with the Cybermen coming out of the misty forest would have been much spookier if they'd just been the Mondas Cybermen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Matinee posted:

Sorry about this. Bit of a rant incoming.

I know it's an age-old tradition of Who fans to poo poo on whoever's steering the ship, but I've never understood the downright hatred for Steven Moffat - especially after he was seen as the Lord and Saviour when he stepped up the the big plate.

Like, yes, his tenure has seen cack-handed scheduling and budgeting, but the man has devised far more excellent episodes and moments for Doctor Who than he has clunkers, and he has stewarded the Smith and Capaldi tenures, both of which have brought a copper-bottomed actorly solidity to the role of The Doctor.

I've been a Who fan since a wee kid, after McCoy but long before the Eccleston series, and I remember well the feeling that RTD was running on cheap hack-fraud fumes towards the end and 'thank god Moffat is taking over and every episode will be an Empty Child or Girl In The Fireplace masterpiece', but the pitch and volume of this shrieking Moffat is cancer and I can't wait until he's gone and everything he touches turns to poo poo mentality is frankly, baffling to me.

If the fans were so quick to set expectations based on Moffat's previous work on Who before he became showrunner, I can't understand why so many are so excited to see the franchise move to the hands of Chris 'Cyberwoman' / 'The Hungry Earth' Chibnall.

I know this makes me look like the biggest Moffat fanboy/apologist - I think he has a lot of faults which I edited out here for the sake of brevity, but I think he has done far more good for Doctor Who than bad, and the dancing on his showrunner corpse seems very odd to me.

Sorry to rant. I really liked the last episodes having not enormously liked a Moffat episode since Heaven Sent.

People loving hated RTD by the time he called it quits and couldn't wait for Moffat. Now people loving hate Moffat, wish RTD was back and can't wait for Moffat to quit. In a couple of years, everyone will loving hate Chibnall, wish Moffat was back and won't be able to wait for Chibnall to quit. I think it's one of those universal constants.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

Must be cool to be a producer on this show. All your scheduling and budgeting screw ups just get blamed on the show runner so you get off Scott free.

Moffat is showrunner in his capacity as executive producer, but he's one of two executive producers associated with the show. I'm not sure what exactly Brian Minchin does, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do we have some Galway girl available to play the next companion?

I can't stand that song, because I love Van the Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

Come live in Galway like me - you'll hear both versions at the same time every loving day walking down Shop Street.

I don't think Van Morrison's done a version of the song (if he has I've not heard it) - the song's annoying in its own right but I resent how it's Ed Sheeran trying to be Van Morrison and going on about putting coins in his jukebox and so on. It's that kind of "real music" "faux authenticity" stuff that I find incredibly tedious to listen to.

(Best live album of the 1970s: It's Too Late To Stop Now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

It's definitely Exile. Exile is the second worst Big Finish story, behind only Creed of the Kromon; He Jests at Scars doesn't come anywhere close to being that bad. Like, most of the Irish Wildthyme stories are probably worse than Jests.

Nekromanteia.

Cojawfee posted:

Then I'd like to see how they film a whole season of an action adventure show with a 75 year old man.

Scott Glenn off Daredevil could do it.

• Locked thread