Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

Shame there weren't any Cybermen in that episode

The stuff with Danny in the cemetery was the best Cyberman stuff the show has done in ages even if the episode didn't have "real" Cybermen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

Well the crows aren't gay

They might be. The gay cawgenda

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

frankly I think John Simm himself is the reason that one worked, you just wanted to see as much of him as possible.

Not to take away from Simm being a charismatic actor who played a great manic Master against Tennant's similarly energetic Doctor, but "holy poo poo, turns out the Doctor isn't actually the last of the Time Lords like we thought, here's the Master to really gently caress things up" is also a much greater hook justifying three episodes than "these monsters you just met have a further plan we'll maybe elaborate on in the next episode or two" regardless of who was in the role

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The problem is that Peter Capaldi owns but that a lot of the scripts in season eight wrote him as entirely too harsh (even as a Hartnell fangirl the poo poo he was pulling in The Caretaker put me off for a bit). The characterisation has gotten a lot better and his Doctor is frickin' great (as much as there's the whole "girls don't like him" thing, I in my late 20s have entirely come around on him since the rocky start, my best friend in her early 30s who is the definition of Tennant Fangirl really likes him and has the last few weeks told me how much she is going to miss him when he's gone, and my mother in her early 50s who first saw Tennant and described him as "the best looking Doctor Who" but has this year been watching with me and has expressed how much she likes Capaldi and will be disappointed when he's gone) and apart from the Monk trilogy he's finally getting a solid run of stories with a good companion (I liked Clara well enough but I know she carried a certain amount of baggage with the "impossible girl" moniker).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

So is this negating Spare Parts? :(

Just gonna tell myself that Spare Parts is their pre-Time War origin and that then the fuckery of the war (and the involvement of this post-War Master) changed things so this new origin happened. We can have both!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

the ABC equivalent here in Australia is extremely lovely (and hasn't got it yet)

huh? I watched it on iView at like 5am this morning. It's absolutely there.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

I'm probably going to go through and take in a Cybermen story for each Doctor (video or audio) where that's possible. Question. Since I've seen Tomb quite a few times (and I love it, don't get me wrong), which is the best of the remaining Troughton Cybermen stories? (I don't mind reconstructions or just listening to soundtracks, obviously.) I'm thinking Invasion, since I've not seen that one.

If you haven't seen Invasion you should probably go for that I guess, though personally I'm a little more partial to The Moonbase.

docbeard posted:

not sure about Six, Seven or Eight yet

For Sixie you probably can't go wrong with Legend of the Cybermen (Six, Jamie, Zoe, and the land of fiction), for Seven if you feel like dipping into the books instead there's Illegal Alien which sees Seven and Ace happening across the Cybermen in Blitz-ravaged London, and for Eight I'm rather fond of The Silver Turk.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

Plus the REAL Thirteenth Doctor adventures starring Tamsin Grieg as the Doctor, Michelle Gomez as Missy, Stephen Mangan and Julian Rhind-Tutt as the Expendables, Mark Heap as the Meddling Monk, and...

What? Why are you staring at me like that? I I I AM NOT OBSESSED WITH GREEN WING, MISTER BOYCE

(I genuinely do want to see Mark Heap as the Meddling Monk now.)

If we get Stephen Mangan on the show he should be reprising Dirk Gentley in a Douglas Adams AllStars crossover with Martin Freeman also returning as Arthur Dent.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BSam posted:

Yes, that was a lot better than the "next time trailer" threatened it would be.

Yeah, it was a lot more personal and character focused than the "big splodey action piece" trailer made it out to be. I liked it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

glowing-fish posted:

So the Doctor had an injury bad enough to make him start regenerating, even before the final blow? What was going on? How far back in this season was he regenerating? Is this important?

He got a big zappy hug from a Cyberman while they were still on the roof of the hospital.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Also anyone that doesn't have the Unbound stories with Geoffrey Bayldon and David Warner as the Doctor should go and grab them while they're this cheap

jivjov posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-finale-week-12

The Big Finish sale for this episode is just....HUGE. A story or box set from every single Doctor. The first two series of Esrly Adventures, the first Third Doctor Box, the first Hinchcliffe box, the Fifth Doctor Box, the Last Adventure, some Bernice stuff, Dark Eyes, the first War Doctor set, and Destiny of the Doctor and Light at the End

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Watching the rerun of the last episode this evening, I think my main concern with David Bradley playing a recast First Doctor is entirely in the voice. As great as he was as Hartnell in the docudrama, when he's actually playing the Doctor there's something off in his speech. The speed and intonation of it is wrong. His "oh, no, no"s feel like they come out too slowly, Hartnell spoke much quicker and that also comes across in things like the Companion Chronicles narrated by people that actually worked with the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Plavski posted:

David Bradley playing Hartnell is like Hopkins playing Nixon or Cox playing Churchill. It's not an impersonation, it's a performance. Bradley was amazing in An Adventure in Space and Time and I have no doubt he'll be the spirit of Hartnell again in the Christmas Special.

Doctor Who fans need to learn to suspend their disbelief ;)

I mean, as much as I'm kind of against recasting individual Doctors (regeneration is already an in universe explanation for recasting, going beyond that can seem a bit gauche; see: everyone's reaction to Hurndall over the last 25 years), I'm still going to give Bradley a chance and probably will enjoy the hell out of the Christmas special either way. I was just commenting on what stood out as different about their performances of the Doctor so far, especially given that the new Companion Chronicles audio came out fairly recently and so is still fresh in my mind and those are productions that are less about being imitations of the Doctor and more about capturing the essence of his performance.

CobiWann posted:

So has Robert Holmes regenerated yet?

• Locked thread