Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Plavski posted:

Three episodes in and they've all been good. Is this a record for a revival season?

I echo what others are saying about being disappointed that it's Capaldi's last season with the writing quality now being strong and consistent. It's Davison all over again.

Also, potential spoilery thoughts: I heard the sound of drumming behind the knocking. I wonder if it's Simm's Master behind the door.

It's got to be. I'm kind of blown away how effortless series 10 feels. A lot of Moffat's stuff after series five seems like he's trying really hard, and not really nailing it. The new episodes are breezy and fun without overextending their reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is this a quote from somewhere

They walked back to the TARDIS

After his eyesight is "restored", the Doctor quips: "Ah, we're back in the Tardis. When did that happen?" He wasn't being serious.

And More fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 14, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We've previously had fairly trivial languages like French and German fail to translate (War Games in both cases), and it'll either be explained in the story or it won't.

Let's also not forget that the Tardis likes to mess with people.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

No I'm not gonna loving review that Tenth Doctor/Rose audio thing. Don't ask

What about the Tenth Doctor/Donna audio thing?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

spectralent posted:

That wasn't bad. Not the best episode of this series but I'm giving it points for being explicitly anticapitalist. Christ the "twist" at the end, though.

It's kind of silly that it had to be a twist in the first place. If they had just pointed it out early on, nothing would have been lost. Making the solution to the problem the actual reveal would have probably worked a lot better.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

2house2fly posted:

The Doctor specifically said that part of what the simulation was testing was the reactions of people smart enough to realise they're stimulants so this makes sense. Although in that case why was the villain so keen to take the Veritas from him?

Apparently, to defeat the smart people of earth, you just have to convince them that they are part of a simulation. The aliens could basically make earth defeat itself.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vinylshadow posted:

By putting the Doctor in the role of Trump and having everyone ignore his advice and die horribly?

I was laughing when the leaders were turned into dust - they deserved it

Typical Harness episode, and even Moffat's writing doesn't hide the stupidity

Ignoring his opinion only made sense when the Doctor was still a random space hobo. It's pretty amazing that the writers go out of their way to make the Doctor the most powerful man on earth, and then his advice still doesn't matter to anyone.

Harness is such an awful writer. Every part of the story falls apart at the seams. He barely even seems to care whether the plot feels plausible as long as outrageous poo poo happens every few minutes.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 28, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've missed the last few seasons, the various governments of Earth now have an agreed-upon policy of "If poo poo goes sideways, put The Doctor in charge and stand well back." It's not the best writing, but it's a clean way to just get on with the story at-hand instead of a round of "Who are you? Why should we listen to what you say?!" every single time something openly threatens the entire planet.

Except, they still did that this episode, and got accordingly incinerated for being idiots.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The_Doctor posted:

Except it was RTD who did it the first time, so I don't get your point?

I think the point is:

Moffat's gonna RTD.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Since when can the Doctor fake regenerating? I know he can call it "on demand" a bit, but that seemed to be a lot more.

I think he's been able to use regeneration power on demand since he healed River in the angels episode in series 7.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Bicyclops posted:

With Gatiss I always just go in not expecting it to be stellar but just to be good, wacky fun, and that works out most of the time. The rest of the time you get the eye booger monsters.

I can find something redeeming about most of his episodes. That one really was just awful, though. Particularly since it came right after the abhorrent Zygon two-parter and the tone-deaf Ashildr two-parter.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

If Othello could believably be a Venetian general in Shakespeare's time, I'm sure there could have been a common black soldier in Victorian England.

The_Doctor posted:

The Empire was all over Africa too, so it made sense to me.

I wasn't crazy about the opening scene of them invading NASA, that just seemed a little too 'wacky'.

Yeah, that had me slightly worried. I think I'm just sick of the pompous bullshit in Doctor Who at this point. Luckily, the episode itself was much more low key.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dabir posted:

No it isn't. The idea is that the fantastical elements are easily distinguishable from the realistic ones, so as we can more easily spot what's supposed to be there and what isn't. I spent the entire episode expecting the other shoe to drop about that guy but he was just... an ordinary soldier? Who was black? It worked with my expectations, based on what I know about the time period, to set up something that the episode wasn't actually going to do.

I seem to remember you using this same logic about the moon egg and it was just as silly then.

I think it's pretty justified in this season, though. Episode three took time to let Bill question the presence of black people in Victorian England and had the Doctor explain: "History's a whitewash." It could very well have been setup for some sort of time traveller plot twist, but if your pet theory got you distracted, that's not the episode's fault. :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Some really nice moments this episode. Like Bill figuring out that the Tardis translates languages and even does lip syncing. Nardole is also still great:

N: "What could do that?"
D: "Complete and total absence of any kind of sunlight."
N: "Huh, death by Scotland."

edit: The casual use of popcorn as a distraction was also nicely old school.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 17, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Vinylshadow posted:

I like the various promo images the BBC makes for Doctor Who

That pose makes me think of Christopher Walken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF28PETSYFE&t=63s

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Senor Tron posted:

I hope they scan him, conclude that his body is superior to current Cyberman medical technology (and thus he has a better chance of surviving) and just all become Nardole, as well.

Yeah, that last part should be slightly different. :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Just do what you'd do with any other show: Start with The Pilot. :rimshot:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The soundtrack was really amazing this episode. It reminds me of classic Hollywood films with how it just keeps going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9YwohxI0g

I particularly like the tense elevator music at 16:00 of this track

And More fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 25, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

2house2fly posted:

Why? The character's just as dead.

E: if the distinction is between the word "kill" and the word "die," the character is written to be dead and therefore their death is a result of intent, which is to say that no matter what a fictional character dies of they are "killed" by the writer.

When you think about it, no one in fiction ever truly gets killed off because you can just watch old episodes, and there they are again. Similarly, you could argue Missy is actually benevolent because when you rewind the episodes, she constantly revives people.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fil5000 posted:

Chibnall will just do what everyone working on Who does, take the bits of the show's history he likes and sideline or ignore the bits he doesn't.

And we all know what Chibnall likes: Dalek Cyberwoman bumps. :v:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Dabir posted:

Well I really liked it. Felt it hit the mark all the way through.

Me too. The episode played me like a fiddle in all the right ways.

I was initially annoyed that Bill was simply fixed. Disrespecting the cliffhanger is a Doctor Who tradition after all. Then they got me for a second time when Bill asked: "You know how I'm usually all about women and people my own age?". That poo poo was inspired.

The Master killing him/herself was also brilliant. Pretty much the only way it could end, when you think about it.

I also love that the Doctor gave the humans a fighting chance, but he didn't conclusively save them. Capaldi's Doctor really stands out as the one who genuinely fails to save people sometimes. That's about as victorious as he should get.

The next episode has the most exciting premise for a Christmas special in a while. I can't wait.

Can Capaldi just regenerate into David Bradley? That would be cool.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 1, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

BioEnchanted posted:

I like imagining most of Bill's dialog in the Cyberman voice because her ribbing seems much funnier in the emotionless husk-voice.

The thought of a Cyberman saying: "Oh good-o." just cracks me up.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

docbeard posted:

The way he described it, he widened the parameters rather than simply replacing the definition.

Still shouldn't have worked because Time Lords have time heads and space teeth, but whatever. :colbert:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rochallor posted:

I wish that the Capaldi not wanting to regenerate thing had been at all set up. Like have the Mondasian Cyberman who attacks him at the end be Bill, and he decides that if he's lost her he doesn't really want to go on.

That's something I really liked. There is no overly dramatic "duty of care" moment because we've already been over that in series 9. Bill dies on her own terms, and the Doctor doesn't lose his mind over her death because they both went in expecting to die.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Argue posted:

I'd like a series where the Water Lesbians hang around Café TARDÍS and go on cool adventures.

"I know you're trying to order something, but all I can hear is ‘AAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEE‘."

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

happyhippy posted:

Also nice to see Bill not give two shits about the rest now trapped with cybermen on one side, and a loving black hole on the other.
Got to go play space angels with someone I met for two minutes 10 years ago, FOREVER.

The black hole was already a non-issue when they arrived on the ship. Personally, I think fighting for someone until your mangled and machinised body keels over is quite enough of a poo poo to give.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

n4 posted:

Also I'm surprised no one is talking about how Simm Master got a boner for Missy and asked her if it was ok.

Yeah, he's a gross dude. I love it. Missy's response is also incredible: "Is it wrong that I…?" "Yes. Very."

BioEnchanted posted:

That reminds me, I loved the sequence in Heaven Sent where he's punching through the wall as hard as he can until his knuckles bleed and then he gets murdered and the cycle begins anew. It's a great montage, seeing him desperately tunnel through feet of thick ice while reciting a story.

This piano cover is really great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJIGyRAHNU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Matinee posted:

I know it's an age-old tradition of Who fans to poo poo on whoever's steering the ship, but I've never understood the downright hatred for Steven Moffat - especially after he was seen as the Lord and Saviour when he stepped up the the big plate.

I think the list goes something like this:
- Terrible with money aka "Where are my two series worth of episodes, you fucker"
- Can't stop saying terrible things in interviews
- Sleeps with his producers
- Season arcs are overly dramatic/ incoherent
- Too much River

All of that doesn't bother me, personally. His decision to hand over a two-parter and a three-parter to Peter Harness, though… :argh:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

2house2fly posted:

I quite like his distinction, that Hartnell didn't play "The First Doctor" he just played The Doctor, because while he was in the role there was no "Second Doctor".

Wasn't that exactly the distinction the David Bradley Doctor made at the end of the last episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

They should get Tom Baker to play Hartnell's Doctor. Problem solved.

• Locked thread