Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

*bursts in, out of breath, breathing heavily*

Doctor....Who....loving....sucks.....

Yet here we are...

Here you are...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

40 should be the minimum age for a doctor :colbert: If you want youthful whimsy in the show, cast a youthful whimsical companion Wilfred Mott is the best companion :corsair:

I think I can agree with the assertion that not all of the scripts from Capaldi's run fit his strengths.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:woop:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like that episode too. Ditto to most of this

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I was a big fan of how they treated Bill and Heather's sexuality. The latter particularly with her feelings of being "alien" and focusing on a "defect" that was just part of who she was and didn't need to be "fixed". She always felt like an outsider whereas Bill is completely confident/at ease with who and what she is.

Edit: Goddammit Big Finish.... :homebrew:

My favourite part was Susan though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So after thinking about it for a few hours, my #1 wish for the season is that we get to hear more about Susan, and my #2 wish is that The multi-Master episode has some kind of homage to Delgado

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

remusclaw posted:

I don't think the showrunners will ignore the Meddling Monk forever. Assuming they don't go with the whole, it was the Master fan explanation, that fella has some reason to be angry at the Doctor.

He's asking the other way around - what new series characters/monsters will be one day revised as "Classic"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

remusclaw posted:

Aside from the Ood and Angels, aren't the only other villains who appear more than once worth mentioning in the revival basically the Silence, and they had less decent follow up than the Angels did. The Monster/bad guy is so forgettable a lot of the time in revival Who. And that wasn't even intended as a play upon my mention of the silence.

That aside, did the Ood ever really have any decent eps? The Satan Pit I guess?

Nobody ever remembers the Silence.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

LoL

I love the Doctor as a college professor, that was such a good little bit and I hope they go back to it some more this season.

Shada :henget:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nardole is the TARDIS's office manager.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After The War posted:

To me, it played as "Bill realizing that she had spent way too much time being coy with this girl and that it was never going to happen" rather than OMG fat.

Given that Bill kept flirting with her after she had gained the chippy weight, I'm inclined to agree with this reading.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Paul.Power posted:

Sonic screwdriver is now in the OED. Which is a bit weird, it's not like "sonic" and "screwdriver" aren't already perfectly good dictionary words already, it doesn't feel necessary. But still kinda cool.

For the OED to add it means only that the term gets used enough that the lexicographers think that someone could plausibly look it up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdwXMAiM_ug

In which Peter and Pearl introduce you to "Smile"

"Never trust a friendly robot"

Boy, that's one heck of a "screw you" to poor ol' K9, isn't it?

To be fair K9 laser blasted shitloads of people

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They probably would have destroyed all of the humans before figuring out that it was wrong.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Megaspel posted:

I just don't feel she reacts very realistically, she has one emotion in the story pretty much. I'm fairly certain she's not the first companion that isn't terrified.

Her backstory is not really interesting or cliche at all. I did like how she wasn't actually a uni student, she just snook in, and that the Doctor liked that. I think she could be a really great companion if she had better writing, but there's just reacting to everything very uniformly. Maybe, I hope, I'll be proved wrong, and she gets into some real conundrums later on that lets us see deeper into her and find something interesting. Right now I just feel regret after having watched an entire episode of a bad Doctor Who. Hopefully they have some interesting conflict later.

I don't mind if it's silly and not ground-breaking, I just feel like they're repeating a tired formulae that's slowly degrading.

She was terrified

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Two consecutive stories in which the Doctor saves the monster from the humans. We have a series theme building perhaps.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

There's a little bit of something for everyone here: One's moral authority and temper, Three being kept on Earth for ~reasons~, Four being a weirdo...

It's great. :)

I started watching The Daleks' Master Plan on Sunday (yes I watch them back to back. Fight me irl.) I got a few episodes in, and 1's reaction to Katrina's death (which makes GRRM look positively kind to his characters) has some compelling resonances with the "Have you ever killed anyone?" scene.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The trailer for the next episode reminds me of The Red Lady, which was one of the best of the small handful of BF adventures I've consumed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

9 is in the vault. So is the Valeyard. They're playing draughts. Not checkers, draughts.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's a good cliffhanger for people who won't necessarily watch next week. It's a crummy cliffhanger if you're a nerd who is guaranteed to watch Doctor Who no matter how much you think it sucks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe save points?

You want the simulation to be accurate for the present and near future. How do you test that? An easy way would be to set up historical simulations and see how well they predict what actually happened. Like Crusader Kings II seems pretty detailed and has a bunch of accurate historical figures, but if you set up in some isolated corner and just let the rest of the world run on AI, in a couple hundred years the game world will be very different from the historical reality. Any simulation is going to have some drift, but if you start the simulation running in 1200 AD and by 1500 AD the world mostly looks the way it did in the real 1500 AD, then you know your simulation is really good.

At some point a tiny heretical cult discovered the truth, they wrote it down, and then they all committed suicide. In the real world none of that happened. Instead the tiny heretical cult accomplished nothing of note and died out because they were all celibate, or because they were murdered, enslaved, or converted to another sect and disappeared. Whatever, the only difference is that they disappeared 20 years later in the real world, and in both cases they had no noticeable effect on the development of the world.

The aliens have this amazing simulation but (as seen in their random number generator) they have a lazy programmer on staff. That guy uses "close enough" save points to continue the simulation rather than loading every possible parameter fresh each time. So the Veritas, a tiny flaw in the simulation, ends up getting saved and propagated in other versions of the Vatican collections. In most runs of the simulation that tiny flaw doesn't matter and so isn't detected, because it is only ever seen by celibate librarians, and anyone who reads it dies without changing much.

OR the Veritas exists IRL too, and it says exactly what it says, but in the real world it's more or less a combination of esoteric religiosity and speculative fiction - our world has texts that hypothesize that our world is a simulation, after all. The difference is that in the simulation, the Veritas speculation is, by coincidence, correct :aaaaa:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just remembered that we're supposedly getting old-school cybermen this series.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 31, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BioEnchanted posted:

Old school as in "Cloth Bag for a head?" Or not that far?
i
One of the promos or series trailers had a cloth bag one iirc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HandsomeTroughton.jpg

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That episode was an incoherent mess. I haven't been that dissatisfied with a new episode in a long time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bicyclops posted:

, and Nardole continues to do his weird little job without feeling like he's wearing out his welcome.

Right now I feel as if I could watch Nardole wander around the TARDIS and do his thing on the fringes of stories for years, even if he just replaces the Sonic Screwdriver and Sentient TARDIS plot-solving maguffins.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

On the plus side, it did make me think about what would happen if the Monks pulled that consent from love stuff on the Daleks.

Daleks send a squad of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them.
Monks: Consent
Daleks send a larger squad of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them.
Daleks send a battalion of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them with some serious damage done.
Daleks send a fleet of Daleks to the pyramid, the Monks destroy them barely.
Daleks blow up the whole loving planet
Sole Surviving Dalek: THE DALEKS ARE VICTORIOUS! THE DALEKS ARE THE TRUE SUPERIOR BEINGS!

This must be one of the challenges of writing major destructive/conquering villains for the series - how do they measure against Dalek perfection? If they're more dangerous than the Daleks, why haven't they been a major threat until now? If they're less dangerous, then how can they challenge The Doctor?

And speaking of which, how can these time-manipulating monks measure against the Time Lords? Do they only exist now because the Time Lords have been mostly erased? Because if there had been Time Lords around, these guys would have been smashed so fast...

And anther thing that this makes me wonder - are there any stories in which the Daleks start fighting the Sontarans?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like how adding a single black soldier - and did they even make reference to his race? - has made an internet thread have a discussion about race by drawing into relief how segregated the past was.

Nobody would have said poo poo or even thought for a second about these questions had it just been an all-white cast. It's like that scene in the paint factory in Invisible Man.

:unsmith: Good ol' Doctor Who

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cojawfee posted:

"Drawing into relief how segregated the past was?" What the hell are you talking about? Pretending that people in the past were happy go lucky nonracists is ignorant and accomplishes nothing.

Adding an unexpected black face to the soldiers made a whole bunch of people go :byodood: "mah history!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it! I also have a soft spot for that type of story and resolution, though.

e. "World Enough and Time" is from the first line of a famous Andrew Marvell, poem, fwiw, entitled "To His Coy Mistress." This is the first Marvellian reference in Doctor Who since Shada.

Anyway, it's a seventeenth-century carpe diem seduction lyric which makes the case that immortals could take forever in their courtship, but mortals need to make the most of their time - "we cannot make our sun / stand still, yet we will make him run." The allusion suggests some kind of friendship (not necessarily erotic) between The Doctor and Missy, after an eternity of "coyness".

Spoilered my summary of the poem because I realized that it makes a strong prediction about what's happening in the next two episodes, given what has happened in the last two.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 17, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Namtab posted:

Quite good even though the bit with the crows was kinda dumb.

See, that's part of what I liked.

I've been struggling to come up with a way to describe this kind of plot which I have an admitted weakness for, even if it's cheesy, and the best I'm coming up with is "mythical." Stories like this blend modern storytelling with ancient - come listen to the tale of the ancient warriors whose heroism was so great that the crows now cry their names/they became a constellation/origin of whatever other thing we see every day. It's a thing that's done in Ovidian or American oral tradition stories, and when it's done well (to my tastes) the mythical resolution sneaks up on you a bit.

:shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed. All three were perfectly fine episodes, but they needed to be more than just fine. Like you said, they didn't even have the benefit of John Simm's Master hamming it up to distract from the stuff that didn't make any sense.

Face the Raven is a solid B. Hell Bent is a B-

The average across all three episodes is A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ because Heaven Sent is that loving good :stare:

My only complaint about Heaven Sent - Whenever someone says to me "I watched Doctor Who up until the new guy I couldn't get into his episodes [ros sic]" I start getting flustered and try to tell them to watch Heaven Sent but then I have to explain that, for it to have any context, it's the middle of a three-parter, the first episode of which is basically a multi-series culmination but that they should watch it all anyway because Peter Capaldi owns.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Blink is good in isolation. Id happily screen it to a class or something. It's basically a Twilight Zone episode. Someone posted something to this effect two pages back.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

I'm trying to remember the list of good first episodes I put together, but I know I had three stories picked for each Doctor, and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances was one of them for Nine. There were three categories, and while I've forgotten one I remember the other two were 'standalones against a weird enemy' (which The Empty Child is fantastic for) and 'introduction to one of the famous enemies' (which for Nine was of course Dalek). The way I figure, two episodes isn't a big ask if both of them are strongly paced, and those two are.

I definitely remember running into the issue of watching a longer episode elsewhere, though, because while Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords is a fantastic introduction to the Master it is way too long for a starter.

The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances is the best one for the RTD era.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That was great

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I hope that the "BBC wants a new Tennant" is actually a ruse, and that they make the "new Tennant" the new companion and so we can get some interesting casting for the Doctor instead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

thrawn527 posted:

Veteran voice actors often do. There's a great documentary called, "I Know That Voice" about voice acting, and someone in it (I forget who, now) said he had a studio installed in his house so he could just get out of bed, knock out some lines, then eat breakfast, or something like that.

My old neighbour would do this. He was a radio voiceover guy who moved to Canada from Georgia or some other Southern state. He didn't lose a single day of work - he just kept hammering out heavily-accented ads about ATV sales or two-for-one fried onion blossoms or whatever in his basement and emailed em off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it!

Cyber-Xeno's Relativity Ship is right now striking me as the best sf maguffin trap in the show's history (meaning I can't think of one that I like better) - the faster you run the faster they come, and the stronger they'll be. The story didn't require any god-like beings to challenge The Doctor - just a bunch of existing plot pieces and a sf premise. I like that they didn't do something like let them whistle for the TARDIS. Leaving the characters in there produced a scenario where the doctor could do nothing but be a crusty old man waiting on the porch with a shotgun.

And at this moment I feel as if 1 and 12 are my favourites, so right now I'm pretty stoked for the Christmas special, even if David Bradley's verbal cadences are a bit different from Hartnell's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm reasonably sure they get around this one by just saying Missy isn't who he regenerates into right away, it's just his/her final regeneration. On the other hand, there has literally been no scenarios where the Master was really actually dead this time no we mean it really. :allears:

That being said oh my God can you imagine if they asked Capaldi to do that. Like they'd go on set to spitball it and he'd already be wearing a suit and a goatee.

The main difference between this one and the other Master deaths is that it's self-inflicted, so s/he presumably knows all of the tricks and exits. Even if we do get a new Master, it probably won't be for a few years now.

• Locked thread